Re-Surface Rotora Rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re-Surface Rotora Rotors??

I need to change pads. I was wondering if I should resurface the Rotora Rotors when I install new pads?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:14 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think resurfacing your rotors is necessary. Just make sure you break in the pads correctly and you should be good to go!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 PM
On the way!

Are the rotors new? If so, make sure to wash off the protective oil they are coated with before installing. No turning needed.

If not new (I assume this is the case)... you need to make sure that there are no wear lines in the rotors. If they have larger wear grooves they will have to be turned. If they don't you just have to make sure that the surfaces are scored a bit to remove small directional wear lines.

Most people take a wire brush on a drill and do a quick run around the rotor to score up the rotor a little. You should see a swirl pattern on the rotor when finished. (they even do this after turning rotors - or at least they should)

It helps the pads wear in a little more evenly.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
if they are slotted and or xdrilled good luck finding someone who can or will turn them not to many shops have teh right machines to turn those type of rotors.
if like fla-tls said they arent grooved or big wear lines just put new pads on
Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

im gonna install EBC greens on my car soon and i have Rotora slotted rotors all around... my front rotors are warped and the rear left rotor has wear lines cuz of the crappy Axxis Ultimate pad that basically desintegrated...

i was thinking about getting them resurfaced but didnt know if it was possible for slotted rotors... if not is there's something i can do myself (other than getting new rotors) ?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
im gonna install EBC greens on my car soon and i have Rotora slotted rotors all around... my front rotors are warped and the rear left rotor has wear lines cuz of the crappy Axxis Ultimate pad that basically desintegrated...

i was thinking about getting them resurfaced but didnt know if it was possible for slotted rotors... if not is there's something i can do myself (other than getting new rotors) ?
unless you find a shop that has teh abaility to resurface that type of rotor your only 2 options are to get new ones or put the old ones back on and live with the bad rotors
Old 03-09-2005, 02:07 AM
WhizzBomb

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
if they are slotted and or xdrilled good luck finding someone who can or will turn them not to many shops have teh right machines to turn those type of rotors.
if like fla-tls said they arent grooved or big wear lines just put new pads on
Hi, Mr. Moron here. Are resurfacing and turning the same thing?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Comptech Freak

resurface the rotors will decrease the life of the rotors

don't do it unless it's necessary
Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 AM
WhizzBomb

FWIW: I have a friend who is an Acura tech and he just replaced my girlfriend's rotors (from stock to Brembo blanks). While I was there, I was telling him about my experience with my rotors (warping after 17k, resurfaced, then replaced at 21k [all under warentee/goodwill]) and what he basically said was with the stock rotors it's pointless to resurface. (I know we're talking about aftermarket rotors, but I thought this was interesting coming from an Acura tech)

He's never resurfaced a set of rotors that didn't have to be replaced within 5k miles. Our rotors are crap and he personally won't ever resurface them anymore, he always replaces them.

Joe
Old 03-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by Whizzbomb
FWIW: I have a friend who is an Acura tech and he just replaced my girlfriend's rotors (from stock to Brembo blanks). While I was there, I was telling him about my experience with my rotors (warping after 17k, resurfaced, then replaced at 21k [all under warentee/goodwill]) and what he basically said was with the stock rotors it's pointless to resurface. (I know we're talking about aftermarket rotors, but I thought this was interesting coming from an Acura tech)

He's never resurfaced a set of rotors that didn't have to be replaced within 5k miles. Our rotors are crap and he personally won't ever resurface them anymore, he always replaces them.

Joe
back to my point, yes resurfacing the rotors will actually decrease the life

because when u resurface you are making the rotor thinner, so it will be easier to crack
Old 03-09-2005, 06:47 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i'll try to sand down the rear left rotor cuz it'S really bad... and i guess i'll have to live with the warped rotors up front for now...

im taking my car out on march 20th to prepare it for the Toronto meet on April 9th... between the 20th and the 9th i'll work on my car, and part of that work will be making custom cooling ducts for the brakes... kinda like bithium did for his car.

I thought about starting the piping from the fog holes (which will be meshed) so the air will flow really good, and aim the other end of the piping at the rotors in the wheelwell... hopefully it will work
Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Racer

crazy me....i had my stock rotors turned three times. i now have 73,000 miles and still on the stock rotors. i did however get a new set of pads.

first turned at 12k...bad vibration and shaking.
second turn at 30k...not as bad...but obviously warpped.
third turn at 43k... mild but annoying vibration while braking in highway.

and now at 73k i have no warpped rotors and no vibration. to tell u the truth i think it got better as i turned them more and more. i'm sure i've reached the limit and it can't be turned. so i'm now considering Rotora slotted rotors...any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Whizzbomb
Hi, Mr. Moron here. Are resurfacing and turning the same thing?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 04-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

What he said! ^^^^