Re: motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001 | 01:41 AM
Racer

Re: motor oil

hey guys,

i have a tl-s and i was wondering if synthetic oil is worth the money? cause the manual specifies regular multigrade oil. i plan on changing my oil every 3000 miles.

what are your guys thoughts?

thx,,,,
Old 07-03-2001 | 02:17 PM
Racer

Post Motor oil

Alot of people on this site like Mobil 1 syth. motor oil....

Never used it before, but some people swear by it!
Old 07-03-2001 | 07:55 PM
Racer

Re: Motor oil

Originally posted by bluefrank
Alot of people on this site like Mobil 1 syth. motor oil....

Never used it before, but some people swear by it!
and it has to be 5W-20 grade.
Old 07-03-2001 | 08:21 PM
Racer

Exclamation Re: Re: Motor oil

Originally posted by bryce11

and it has to be 5W-20 grade.
I posted this elsewhere yesterday but here it is again . . .

I think Redline may have a 5W-20; but I ain't payin' $9 a quart-NO WAY! Mobile 1 does not; only 5W-30. Amsoil I am not sold on.

I did call Acura customer relations about using the 5W-30 synthetic oil and he just spewed back what the owner's manual says . . . "You can use 5W-30 but should switch back to 5W-20 at the next oil change". He would not say anything about how using 5W-30 would affect their, Acura's, warranty. He just kept regurgitating "You can use 5W-30 but should switch back to 5W-20 at the next oil change" yada-yada-yada. You would not want to give Acura ANY reason to turn down a warranty issue on their engine because of oil changes; I am sure they would turn you down in a heart beat if the loop hole is there.

Sure, it is a great engine, and sure you may never have to make a warranty request on the engine, but G_d forbid something should happen and they can stick it to you because YOU used 5W-30 oil on back to back oil changes "I have NO doubt they'd do it and loose no sleep over it"!
Old 07-03-2001 | 08:59 PM
Sporty X type

Unhappy

Would someone please type, print or scan in what the TL-S book says about the oil weights, seasonal and TEMPERATURE differences, (EVERYTHING). I find it hard to believe that even Acura ONLY allows 5w-20 weight oil, in ALL conditions, in all weather conditions? If I'm wrong, then so be it. I'm checking my 2k Tl book right now 2 see what it says
Old 07-03-2001 | 09:10 PM
Sporty X type

In the 2k Tl book it says " the preferred oil weights are 5w-30, for improved fuel economy and year round protection." you MAY use 10w-30 oil if the temperature never goes below 20 degrees F, (-7 C). It also says "You may use a synthetic motor oil, if it meets the same requirements given for conventional motor oil"!
Old 07-03-2001 | 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Yup those were the recommended weights at that time, but now Acura has switched to 5w-20 where before the 5w-30 was recommended. This change affects the TL-P model as well even though the engines are exactly the same as they were in 2000.
Old 07-04-2001 | 01:26 AM
Instructor

I’ve taken my car to two different Acura dealers for my 1st and 2nd oil change. Both of them used 5w-30. The first dealer said he preferred 5w-30. The second dealer I specifically told 5w-20. When I picked up my car it had 5w-30. When I asked the service manager about it he said it should be 5w-30. I told him the manual stated 5w-20. He didn’t believe me until I showed it to him. Everyone in the service department acted surprised.
Old 07-04-2001 | 01:20 PM
Pro

There is a great article on motor oils found here:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

Here is my take on this. The closer the two SAE numbers are on a motor oil, the fewer viscosity improvers are required to be added to the oil - which is what you want, an oil with as few additives as possible.

HOWEVER, most synthetic oils don't require any additives at all, making them superior to conventional oils. The article states that Mobil 1 uses no additives at all in their oil.

Using this logic, the weight difference affecting conventional oils don't apply to synthetics in the normal oil range.

I also noted neither Mobil, Castrol, nor Valvoline even offer synthetic 5W-20 oil, just 5W-30. So if you use a synthetic 5W-30 oil, you should be fine, for conventional oil, use 5W20 if possible.
Old 07-04-2001 | 01:48 PM
Banned

I do believe Pennzoil makes synthetic 5W-20 also.
Old 07-04-2001 | 07:37 PM
Racer

Exclamation

Originally posted by bioyuki
I do believe Pennzoil makes synthetic 5W-20 also.
Went to the Pennzoil website to check and see. They show Pennzoil Synthetic in a 5W-30, but NO 5W-20.
Old 07-04-2001 | 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Most Acura dealers do not stock 5w-20. I know mine does not, when I was in for some recall work I asked and they said that 5w-30 was fine. I then asked if they stocked 5w-20 and they said that with only a few cars using that weight and since they bought oil by the drum then 5w-30 was the weight that they would be using.

It becomes an issue of not what is best for you're car, but what the dealership wants to sell you !!!
Old 07-05-2001 | 08:02 AM
Not a Blowhole

Xorg is wrong - most synthetics do add Viscosity Index (VI) improvers - just not as much.

Redline has the widest base VI I know of, and thus requires the least VI improvers.

VI improvers are polymers which tend to resist thinning at higher temps.
Old 07-05-2001 | 08:42 AM
Pro

Well, Mobil 1 doesn't add any improvers :-)
Old 07-05-2001 | 04:49 PM
Not a Blowhole

Xorg: on what do you base that? I have an engineering tech sheet from Mobil that indicates they do use VI improvers, but not as much as mineral oils. Can you cite from their website or a more recent tech sheet (mine is 6 monsths old)?
Old 07-05-2001 | 05:06 PM
Not a Blowhole

"Mobil 1® Tri-Synthetic Series

Product Description

The Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series motor oils are manufactured from 100% synthetic base stocks. These include polyalphaolefins (PAO) and two other Mobil synthetic fluids which make up the Tri-Synthetic formula. These synthetic base fluids are pure chemicals which do not contain the impurities or waxes inherent in conventional mineral oils.

Their unique synthesized structure enables the four Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series products to offer advantages beyond their conventional SAE viscosity-grade counterparts. Conventional mineral oils thicken or thin dramatically with changes in temperature.

To compensate for this weakness, manufacturers add thickeners to conventional multigrade oils to slow thinning as engine temperatures rise. Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series oils have naturally high resistance to changes in viscosity due to temperature and require little of these thickeners. require little of these thickeners "

This is from Mobil'd website, one minute ago. I am the King of all Oil Media! get it - Howard Stern eat your heart out!)
Old 07-05-2001 | 10:13 PM
Pro

You're looking at the Tri-Synthetic, not Mobil 1. My source is the web site I posted a link for - it says Mobil 1 has no enhancers added to it.
Old 07-06-2001 | 08:54 AM
Not a Blowhole

Xorg, buddy - tri-syn is Mobil 1 - I just downloaded that info from the ww.mobil1.com website! Are you suggesting there are two Mobil 1's? Mine (tri synthetic) and yours (unidentified)?

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp
Old 07-06-2001 | 09:13 AM
Super Troll

Talking

so is 5w-30 good for the car or what.... i cant find any 5w-20 synthetic.... but i already got my oil change last week so i will have to wait till my next.....
Old 07-06-2001 | 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I believe that Redline can ship you 5w-20 synthetic directly.

Roadrage, in a previous post you mentioned having oil tested, can anyone send oil in to be analyzed ? If so where do I send it ?

thanks
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:08 PM
Not a Blowhole

Yeah, look in the Yellow Pages for Quaker State, Valvoline, and call one of them and ask about how to get an oil analysis - they will sell you a kit and how to do it.

I am using 5w30 and do not believe there will be the slightest problem - my dealer is still using it until their 55 gal driums are used up - obviously this is a no sweat deal!

The mfrs. want quick warm and oil flow to minimize emissions - with mineral oil, you need a light weight - with synthetic you get the flow, and the added viscosity is not a big deal. I may later switch over to RL 5w20 but like most stuff o this Forum, stiop obsessing about trivia! Acura will not have oil police investigating your lubrication habits.

Enjoy the car!
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Road Rage
investigating your lubrication habits.
Old 07-06-2001 | 04:48 PM
Racer

Exclamation

This is from the Castrol "Castrol Syntec" website . . .

Castrol Syntec Q & A
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: What are the benefits of SYNTEC FULL SYNTHETIC?

Answer:

* SYNTEC Full Synthetic SAE 5W-50 provides the widest range of protection available. The 5W provides rapid oil circulation at start-up and the 50 delivers a thicker high temperature oil film for ultimate wear protection.
* SYNTEC Full Synthetic, with unique molecular components, is also available in SAE 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40
* Active formula helps extend engine life by reducing wear and keeping engine clean
* Patented stabilizers aggressively seek out and neutralize harmful and corrosive particles, suspending them away from engine parts
* SYNTEC's unique molecular structure bonds to engine parts and it provides a level of protection superior to conventional oil
* Helps prevent sludge from forming in your engine
* Neutralizes acids in your engine that can cause rust and corrosion on vital engine parts such as cylinders, bearings and hydraulic valve lifters.
* SYNTEC can be used with confidence in every gasoline engine passenger car, new or old, regardless of oil previously used
* SYNTEC is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils
* Exceeds the toughest gasoline engine protection requirements for passenger cars and light trucks
* Meets the world's toughest gasoline engine protection requirements

Question: What oil change intervals are recommended for SYNTEC?

Answer: Motor oil serves many purposes. Its primary function is to lubricate and protect, but it also keeps your engine cool and running clean. By changing your oil frequently, you remove by-products of combustion such as acid, soot, abrasives, water and unburned fuel. All of these substances can have damaging effects on both the performance and life of your engine.

You should check your owners' manual for their recommended oil change service. However, we recommend for ultimate protection that you change your motor oil every 3,000 miles (or 3 months).

Question: How does SYNTEC bond to engine parts?

Answer: SYNTEC's unique chemical esters bond to engine parts. A thin oxide coating exists on the surface of metal components that can develop a positive charge due to electron localization. SYNTEC's unique chemical esters are designed to take advantage of this effect.

The attraction between the positive charge of the engine surface and the esters that have a negative charge creates a layer of ester component that is attracted and held to the surface of the metal. In effect, a layer of lubricant becomes affixed to the engine surface creating a long-lasting protective film.

Question: Should over the counter oil additives be used with SYNTEC?

Answer: You may use SYNTEC if an oil additive was previously used. However, we do not recommend additional over the counter additives or engine treatments. SYNTEC contains state-of-the-art additives and is specifically engineered to afford complete and superior protection. In addition, car manufacturers do not recommend the use of supplemental oil additives.

Question: Is Syntec fully compatible with other oils?

Answer: This superior product is compatible with all conventional and part synthetic oils and you may switch to SYNTEC at any time. It is not necessary to flush your engine. If you used an oil additive with your conventional oil you can use SYNTEC. However we do not recommend nor feel it is necessary to use oil additives because SYNTEC is specially formulated to provide your engine with superior protection.

Question: Can Syntec Full Synthetic be used in a rebuilt engine?

Answer: In a new or newly rebuilt engine you want a certain amount of controlled wear to occur to allow piston rings to seat and the engine to "break-in." Our recommendation is to utilize conventional oil for new and rebuilt engines for your first oil change and after that you may switch to SYNTEC for superior engine protection.
Old 07-06-2001 | 05:14 PM
Not a Blowhole

All very interesting, and true for Castrol synthetic in Europe, but not the stuff they sell here.

It used to be a Group IV lube, but wascut back to a G3, and does not contain esters anymore.

In Europe, the stuff they sell here is prohibited from even being called a synthetic!

I say Castrol is wearing a Black Hat.

Stick to Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic (G4), Redline (G5) if you got the coin.
Old 07-09-2001 | 09:56 PM
Lead Footed

Being an ex-street and drag racer I'm used to V8s and ran heavier weights.

With my other smaller engined cars I ran the regular stuff. With this high reving VTEC, I'll run something better, two of which have already been mentioned, Mobile 1 and Redline, or a 3rd not mentioned, Royal Purple. They have both racing blends and everyday driver blends ranging from under $5 to $9 per quart.

I'm familar with the product from the drag strips. My ex-CEO's daughter drove for the Royal Purple Top Fuel Dragster one year.

If you want to find out more here is there URL.

This is in no way an endorsement of their product.

http://www.synerlec.com/
Old 07-09-2001 | 11:25 PM
Racer

Mobil one has a good name so I'll stick by that I'm not being bias but old fashion yes. And yes I bought a AEM CAI
Old 07-10-2001 | 01:46 PM
Lead Footed

Going in for my first oil change tomorrow. I've had it since the end of March, but between vacations and low miles I've not been in a hurry. Only 2695 so far.

So I call the dealer to check on what oils they have available. You guessed it, the service department doesn't have the 5w-20 available yet. He said that they recommend 10w-30 here in Texas because it never gets that cold. I challenged him on the reasons Acura gave, being the tighter tolerances and higher RPMs. He then said he would get what ever oil I wanted, but the best thing they carry is Mobil 1 5w-30 and that's what he would recommend.

They also suggested going ahead and making the switch from regular oil to synthetic at the first oil change. So It looks like Mobil 1 5w-30 for me at this point.
Old 07-10-2001 | 07:46 PM
Racer

Question

Got this off of the Quaker State page. I have not heard, or seen, much on or about the Quaker State Synthetic Oils. I know they are the same company that makes Pennzoil or it may be visa-versa.

+++++++++++++++

It comes in 5W-30

+++++++++++++++

Quaker State Ultra Premium Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Motor Oil for Luxury Vehicles

Ultra Premium Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Quaker State Ultra Premium Full Synthetic motor oil is a molecularly engineered synthetic oil with special protective additives for pure maximum protection. THERE'S NOTHING BETTER. We also added Micro Q Filtration™, an extra filtering process with patented technology, that ensures our oil starts pure and clean.

Recommended for Luxury Vehicles
If you own an expensive car it makes sense to use the very finest oil you can get. One that has the capabilities needed to protect the costly, technologically advanced engines found in these very special vehicles.

Features
Ultra Premium Full Synthetic exceeds:
North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where ILSAC GF-2, API SJ, SH or CF oils are specified
European ACEA A1-96 (SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-30) and A3-96 (SAE 5W-50) Standards
ILSAC GF-2 and Energy Conserving performance standards and meets Volvo service fill requirements (SAE 5W-30 & SAE 10W-30)
Meets Corvette GM 4718M (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)