Problems with D/S Air Bag & Heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Problems with D/S Air Bag, Heater, RPMs & CEL

1) A few weeks back I got an SRS code. I tried to reset it, but it came back, so I took it to Acura and they diagnosed it as a Code 1-2: Increased Resistance in Driver's Side Air Bag. They could not find the cause of the code simply from checking the code itself, so I'd have to pay a $100 diagnostic fee for them to find the cause. Has anyone else had this problem before, and if so, what was the cause/fix for this? Any help and/or advise is appreciated!

2) As the weather is cooling now in the Northeast, I've had to use the heater a couple of times. For some reason, it does not blow out really hot air. It worked fine last winter. It doesn't even seem to blow out much air at all even on full fan speed, and the air that comes out is lukewarm at best. Just for comparison, the A/C does work, but not as strong as normal since I have an underdrive pulley installed. Any thoughts about this?

3) When I first drive from a cold start, as I'm accelerating, the RPMs kind of "surge". They increase quickly, then slowly increase, then make another jump, then slowly increase, etc. If I give it more gas, it doesn't do this, but of course I don't like to accelerate quickly with a cold engine. Once the car is warmed up it doesn't do this. However, even when the engine is warm, if I'm crusing on the highway with the cruise control activated, even on a flat road, sometimes the rpms will flutter. They will increase slightly, then drop a bit, etc. If I can, I'll try to take a video of this and post it. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe I have a slight vacuum leak or something, but I don't really know.

4) One more problem I'm having is that I sometimes randomly get a check engine light. Sometimes it seems to happen if I've been driving the car harder than normal, and sometimes it just happens while cruising too. It doesn't last very long, and usually by the time I am able to go to an auto store to get the code read, it has gone away by then. So I don't know the exact error code. If/when it happens again, I'll try to go straight to a place to get the code read. But in the mean time does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Last edited by AMGala; 09-21-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the pulley should only affect ac at idle- the rest of the time it should work perfect
Have you ckd the cabin air filters? plugged will limit flow!
a vent motor could be failing and not opening the heat door

how is the temp running, and condition of water pump, and coolant ability?
that will screw with the heater output

vac leaks occur from broken front or rear motor mounts- ck that

seafoam= 1 can in just under half tank = 8 gallons- get the internals and injectors clean so remaining probs can be seen and diagnosed,,might even fix problems!

see if you can borrow the scan tool from parts store and drive with it plugged in- to record all parameters
that will help diagnosis

SRS light, ck details of the 10/150 srs parts special warranty we got
ck if you are part of the airbag recall
call acura 1-800 382 2238 x5 with cars VIN
Im assuming you have clean title= not rebuilt salvage title car
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the pulley should only affect ac at idle- the rest of the time it should work perfect
Have you ckd the cabin air filters? plugged will limit flow!
a vent motor could be failing and not opening the heat door

how is the temp running, and condition of water pump, and coolant ability?
that will screw with the heater output

vac leaks occur from broken front or rear motor mounts- ck that

seafoam= 1 can in just under half tank = 8 gallons- get the internals and injectors clean so remaining probs can be seen and diagnosed,,might even fix problems!

see if you can borrow the scan tool from parts store and drive with it plugged in- to record all parameters
that will help diagnosis

SRS light, ck details of the 10/150 srs parts special warranty we got
ck if you are part of the airbag recall
call acura 1-800 382 2238 x5 with cars VIN
Im assuming you have clean title= not rebuilt salvage title car
I replaced the cabin air filters at 50,000 miles (I'm at about 77,000 miles now).

Engine temps are fine (no overheating), but I haven't yet replaced my coolant, which I plan to do soon.

I'll check the engine mounts for any tears.

I use seafoam regularly in the gas tank and before I do an oil change. I haven't done the vacuum port recently so I will try to do that soon also.

I'll look into the scan tool at an auto store.

I asked about the SRS recall when I brought the car to Acura, and they said this error code is not related to that recall. The car has a clean title (no rebuilt/salvage).
Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 PM

My front engine mount still looks pretty good:

I can't really see the rear mount.

Maybe this will help figure out my heater problem. I just tried to run the heater on full auto at 90 degrees for 7-8 minutes. The car was starting to heat up. I put my hand up in front of all of the vents and found that the rightmost passenger's side vent was blowing out the most air, and the rear vent was also blowing pretty strong. The temp was relatively warm. The leftmost driver's side vent was putting out less air, and it was only warm. The two vents in the middle (center vent above the A/C controls and the left passenger's side vent) were not blowing out any air at all. Would this indicate that a vent motor is failing?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Team Owner

could be!
as long as you seafoam the gas thats good--
just do a shot thru the TB to clean the air plate and pivot hinge

need to look at the mounts from under the car for oil leak trail, or look at ground under it for a few drops of very strange oil- like none I had felt or seen before
Old 09-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Team Owner

cabin air filters are due every year,,,amazing how much crud is in the air and captured by the filters
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM

I'll do that. I forgot to mention that when I use the A/C, it comes out of all of the vents evenly with strong air.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM

Would a bad Purge Solenoid Valve cause the "surging"? I definitely have a loud clicking sound under the hood.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Bump
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Sounds like a mix motor issue for the vents not blowing. As for the heat, there is a small cable operated valve under the hood near the firewall that adjusts the coolant flow to the heater core. check to make sure that is working.

As for the surging, make sure the IACV is clean, the tb is clean, and check the vac lines near the motor to make sure none have cracking. Surging could also be bad motor mounts or the trans.

Ac, have you had the system recharged at all?

As for the SRS issue, about the only way to resolve it is to let the dealer diagnose it. They are the only ones with the code readers and the diagnostic tools.