next project: RL motor swap(all wheel drive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 10:21 AM
2000 Acura 3.2 TL (185K+)

next project: RL motor swap(all wheel drive)

Im not sure if anyone has attempted to do this. any feedback will be extremely helpful. thanks guys
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:41 AM
Drifting

No one I am aware of has attempted this.

With enough money and time, anything is possible. At some point, it becomes ridiculous and the better approach is to simply buy the car with the right capabilities in the first place. At some point you might as well gut the drivetrain out of the TL and drop the body on an F250 4 x 4 frame and drivetrain.

It'd be no different than gutting a 64 Impala and installing a modern drivetrain. If that's what someone is into, great. But if you can't do the work yourself, you better have a big check book. Even if you can, it will still cost a lot of money.
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:53 AM
Drifting

No one has attempted it and none one ever should. If you want to know why, crawl under your car and look at the area between two rear wheels. Where do you plan on putting the rear differential? The axles? How are you going to get the drive shaft back there? You could probably buy two RLs for the cost of such a conversion. Not even close to worth it. It's not even in the same galaxy.

Side note, I saw Caddy Deville rolling on 270 around Columbus that was jacked up about 4 feet high on a 4x4 lift kit. It still had the stock wheels and tires so it looked extra goofy. I could have easily driven my lowered civic under it if it weren't for the suspension junk. The dude driving it was some huge thugged out guy who was pretty pissed off that I was laughing hysterically at him.

I mention this because trying to get your TL to be AWD is going to make it end up looking just as stupid. There just isn't room for the hardware required.
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:57 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

^ he probably had yet to put 24s on it.
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:59 AM
Safety Car

I know someone who could do the research and get it to work.

Just need the funds to back it up.
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by InspireTL
I know someone who could do the research and get it to work.
Just need the funds to back it up.
That's why I said with enough money and time, anything is possible. But in the end, what's the point? There are easier ways for people to prove they have more money than brains.
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:47 AM
Safety Car

with the same money go buy an RL.
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

No one has done it. While any thing is possible, unless you pick up a totaled RL for dirt cheap it wont be worth it. All the electronics needed alone will cost a small fortune.
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:56 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

how about you swap a tl chassis onto a muscle car. that would b something
Old 03-10-2008 | 12:31 PM
COTM Coordinator

anything is possible, but like many have said it wouldn't be worth it. best thing would be to buy an rl if that's what your looking for. the tl is a beautiful car, but it wasn't meant to have all wheel drive and you would waste your time and a shit load of money.

do a 6 speed swap and I think you'll be happy..... I am.
Old 03-10-2008 | 12:42 PM

sounds pretty hazardous. there is a guy at my shop i go too putting a 07 motor in a 2door cl. paying about 7 grand.. im not really trying to do anything thats cots a fortune but just something that hasnt been done yet. what else can we do with these cars besides 6 speed conv?
Old 03-10-2008 | 12:43 PM
Instructor

"Anything is possible (so long as you have money and time)" sounds like "(practically) impossible" to me.
Old 03-10-2008 | 01:03 PM
COTM Coordinator

you could put a ciciv motor in there, but that would be pretty lame.

why don't you do a 6 speed swap and rl crank and pistons. there really isn't much that hasn't been done.

I know its fun to be original but sometimes there is a limit. I mean there is even a guy in the cl forum that is turning his cl into a drag car with I believe an nsx motor.
Old 03-10-2008 | 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

well that seems a little extreme to do and so not worth it. but then again there isnt much you can do with these cars. 2 different lipkits, different rims, couple of different grills and thats about it. every car looks the same.
Old 03-10-2008 | 08:48 PM
On The Road

what would be the point? Seems absolutely pointless to me. Unless maybe you were part of a government funded study of pointlessness. Then I might consider it.
Old 03-10-2008 | 08:59 PM
No He Can't

Old 03-10-2008 | 10:11 PM
bringin lead

Dude, I say do it. While you're at it, stretch the fenders for wider tires, throw a sc and turbo on it, then paint racing stripes down the sides. With these mods, you'd probably want a brush guard, cloaking device, and rocket launcher too, right? That'd be some 007 sh-t then!
Old 03-10-2008 | 10:17 PM
OMGWTFVTEC

I say you just get a new RL for what you'd probably end up paying for a project such as this.

That or just do what FirePR2002 said... either way, its a crapload of money.
Old 03-11-2008 | 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Dude, I say do it. While you're at it, stretch the fenders for wider tires, throw a sc and turbo on it, then paint racing stripes down the sides. With these mods, you'd probably want a brush guard, cloaking device, and rocket launcher too, right? That'd be some 007 sh-t then!

ure kidding me right? 31y ears old. middle school comment.
Im sure alot of people have wondered if this would accually work. Some of us do like motor swaps, 6 speed conversions, etc. Fuckin idiot
Old 03-11-2008 | 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
you could put a ciciv motor in there, but that would be pretty lame.

why don't you do a 6 speed swap and rl crank and pistons. there really isn't much that hasn't been done.

I know its fun to be original but sometimes there is a limit. I mean there is even a guy in the cl forum that is turning his cl into a drag car with I believe an nsx motor.
hey how much did you drop total for your 6speed swap?
Old 03-11-2008 | 12:58 AM
OMGWTFVTEC

Originally Posted by Toon_703
Im sure alot of people have wondered if this would accually work. Some of us do like motor swaps, 6 speed conversions, etc. Fuckin idiot

See the thing is. With a RL SH-AWD conversion, thats alot of stuff... a hell of alot more than there is in a TL-P to TL-S 6MT conversion. WAAAAY more stuff.

I'm sure that many people have wondered about it... but gave up the idea because it would cost them a fortune to do something of this magnitude.

If he pulls it off though, I'll be very amazing.
Old 03-11-2008 | 02:46 AM
COTM Coordinator

total cost for the swap was around 3500 would have been less if I didn't have to buy an intake manifold and throttle body, which the first engine(the bad one) didn't come with, but the second engine did.
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

I wouldnt be. I mean come on be realistic. How much do you think it would be. Its not just adding a driveshaft to connect the rear wheels and bam you have sh awd. Just think about how much it would be. Your typical 6 speed conversion is 4+k for just a manual trans (and some have thrown in the type-s motor). Now how much do you think the new RL motor, trans drive shafts, rear subframe to handle all of that, all the customizing needed to get it to bolt up, all new suspension, ALL the advanced electronics involved to get the awd system to work. Then there is the slight problem of our car wasnt designed for it and im sure frame and body work would need to be done in the center section to get things to fit.
Old 03-11-2008 | 09:12 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I wouldnt be. I mean come on be realistic. How much do you think it would be. Its not just adding a driveshaft to connect the rear wheels and bam you have sh awd. Just think about how much it would be. Your typical 6 speed conversion is 4+k for just a manual trans (and some have thrown in the type-s motor). Now how much do you think the new RL motor, trans drive shafts, rear subframe to handle all of that, all the customizing needed to get it to bolt up, all new suspension, ALL the advanced electronics involved to get the awd system to work. Then there is the slight problem of our car wasnt designed for it and im sure frame and body work would need to be done in the center section to get things to fit.
This is exactly what I meant in the other thread. I'm sure you COULD get this all to work, but at the end of the day you wouldve plopped god know how much money into a car who's suspension geometry is still gonna be all wrong. There's a reason why cars are now designed on advanced computers and built by robots. Honda spend alot of dough designing a platform fit for having at least some of its power channeled to the rear, trying to hack in those components to front drive probably wont give you optimal results. Its like people who take 'vette rear ends and hack them in 4th gen F-bodies, from what ive seen results aren't really worth it and if you mess up on the fabrication you'll have a pretty lopsided ride.
Old 03-11-2008 | 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thisisnotdave
Its like people who take 'vette rear ends and hack them in 4th gen F-bodies, from what ive seen results aren't really worth it and if you mess up on the fabrication you'll have a pretty lopsided ride.
If done correctly the end result can be much better. I stuck a LS1 and vette independent rear end in a S10 and the end result was a FAR better handling ride. It was well worth the 6k spent. In fact im hoping to do it again this summer to my dads s10 cause he liked it so much
Old 03-11-2008 | 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Fabricating is fun. Worth it or not.
Old 03-11-2008 | 11:17 AM
T-Swzy

i used to think about doing things like this, but at the end of the day. you realize money doesnt grow on trees and you get by with what you can. if you can somehow get sponsorships from suspension companies and people like that, cause it would be the first car ever, it might be worth something. winning car shows might be worth the money the sponsors are shelling out for your car. if you're serious, i'd call around and get a feel of it
Old 03-11-2008 | 01:50 PM
B A N N E D

dude, get a loan from the bank and do it! I know I would.. just don't total the car after you're done.
Old 03-11-2008 | 02:31 PM
COTM Coordinator

im sorry but that is the dumbest advice given on this thread. get in debt to spend more money on a car then what its worth.

no offense but please give some thought before you post.
Old 03-11-2008 | 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by johnr5
dude, get a loan from the bank and do it! I know I would.. just don't total the car after you're done.
Would make sense if your replacing the tranny and motor cos you want to keep the car longer, but for this...
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:34 PM
bringin lead

Fuckin idiot? Who? How much money do you think you'll WASTE on something like this - that is IF you can pull it off? When I was 23, I was chasing p-ssy - not trying to spend a small fortune on an unrealistic goal.

Sorry you got your feelings hurt though, kiddo.
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Fuckin idiot? Who? How much money do you think you'll WASTE on something like this - that is IF you can pull it off? When I was 23, I was chasing p-ssy - not trying to spend a small fortune on an unrealistic goal.

Sorry you got your feelings hurt though, kiddo.
isnt this a furum>? Dont we DISCUSS>?
chasin pussy, huh? man shut up and go feed tha kids. i can chase pusy AND work on my car! damn doin betta than u slim . maybe while im at it ill build a time machine so u can go back to your "YOUNGER' days ... ah im wastin my time. sorry guys.

Back to the subject, i figure it would b one expensive idea but im sure there are some that would love to see this done! first in Tl history
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:54 PM
bringin lead

isnt this a furum>? Dont we DISCUSS>?
chasin pussy, huh? man shut up and go feed tha kids. i can chase pusy AND work on my car! damn doin betta than u slim . maybe while im at it ill build a time machine so u can go back to your "YOUNGER' days ... ah im wastin my time. sorry guys.
Did you whine when you typed this or did I just read it that way?
Old 03-11-2008 | 07:58 PM
aTLien

save the money and buy a o9 tl which will hopefully have sh-AWD
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:18 PM
@ slide or die @

...i love threads like this. the balls to post something having no knowledge of the car and little to no efforts to search shows how little serious and dreamy you are...even on the 6sp idea. what did you also plan on making a rally TL? rock-crawler TL? or you just wanted to drive to Publix with the safety of a half-assed awd conversion?
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:20 PM
@ slide or die @

...the balls to post something having no knowledge of the car and little to no efforts to search shows how little serious and dreamy you are...even on the 6sp idea.

what did you also plan on making a rally TL? Rock-Crawler spec TL? or you just wanted to drive to Publix with the safety of a half-assed awd conversion?
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by etxxz
...the balls to post something having no knowledge of the car and little to no efforts to search shows how little serious and dreamy you are...even on the 6sp idea.

what did you also plan on making a rally TL? Rock-Crawler spec TL? or you just wanted to drive to Publix with the safety of a half-assed awd conversion?
nope, just an idea that hasnt been brought up( to my attention). i like this thread alot. makes me see who is a true tl fan; curious on how far you can take this car, and those who just want a lip kit and roof wing. isnt that the whole point of the forum? maybe i need to read the rules and regulations again
Old 03-12-2008 | 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

nope, just an idea that hasnt been brought up( to my attention). i like this thread alot. makes me see who is a true tl fan; curious on how far you can take this car, and those who just want a lip kit and roof wing. isnt that the whole point of the forum? maybe i need to read the rules and regulations again
Many would like to make the car AWD, but the problem lies in the cost. It will cost a fortune (if i had to guess 10-15k in parts unless you were lucky enough to find the whole car cheap in the junk yard to salvage from. Then you have the problem that the RL is a bloated under powerd car and the TL would become the same thing without spending a bunch on HP mods like FI. Then there is the subject of can this setup handle it??
Old 03-12-2008 | 07:56 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
how about you swap a tl chassis onto a muscle car. that would b something
lol ...real talk
Old 03-12-2008 | 03:39 PM
bringin lead

Dude - save yourself the time and read your initial post instead:

Im not sure if anyone has attempted to do this. any feedback will be extremely helpful. thanks guys
You've been given feedback as you requested. Stop whining and suggesting we don't love our TLs as much as you. Has nothing to do with love or hate for the car, but reality forces you to weigh the costs versus success rate for any project.

Quick Reply: next project: RL motor swap(all wheel drive)