Newbie; Buy or Pass???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 01:34 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie; Buy or Pass???

Looking at a 2002 TL-S/ Pearl/ 80,000/new michlins/new rear pads (10K on them)/ brand new front pads and drilled/slotted rotors.

I have all of the service records. Transmission has never been touched, no oil jet kit etc. Car feels like a brand new one. One owner, salesman, interstate miles between Madison and Milwaukee WI.
Great paint and interior, noticed a very small squeek on passenger side while driving on very rough road.
Price = $16, 250
This will be our new family car, and potentially my daily driver (15 miles each way). You guys know much more about this car than I do. I'm really worried about the transmission based on what I've read here. Should I be? or should I say this is a good deal and take it? I need to know soooon.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great deal. I got my '02 TL-P for about that much, minus 30k miles though. Unfortunately, one of the rotors was warped when I got the car, and one of the tires had a bubble in the sidewall.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

Additional Question

One more question on the TL-s.
After contacting my local Acura dealer (the same one that faxed me service records on the car) the service rep said if I buy this car I should get it in fairly soon to get the tranny checked and oil jet installed.

Your thoughts on this?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

here is what i would do. i would make an appt with the dealership for tranny recall. wait for that date to roll around, buy the car and take it direct to the dealer to have the tranny replaced. and then you should be good to go.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Handles
Looking at a 2002 TL-S/ Pearl/ 80,000/new michlins/new rear pads (10K on them)/ brand new front pads and drilled/slotted rotors.

I have all of the service records. Transmission has never been touched, no oil jet kit etc. Car feels like a brand new one. One owner, salesman, interstate miles between Madison and Milwaukee WI.
Great paint and interior, noticed a very small squeek on passenger side while driving on very rough road.
Price = $16, 250
This will be our new family car, and potentially my daily driver (15 miles each way). You guys know much more about this car than I do. I'm really worried about the transmission based on what I've read here. Should I be? or should I say this is a good deal and take it? I need to know soooon.

Sounds like a deal. Except I'd look for a NAV model since it would of already taken a HUGE hit in depreciation...so basically a nav model would only be $500 more. Then have fun and "drive it like you stole it" for the next 10-15k miles. Once you reach 95k miles (or when the tranny breaks) take it to the dealer and have it serviced.

This method would let you have fun with the car as intended, but at the same time leave you feeling like you bought a brand new transmission once you are done "experimenting". Just remember...the key is to make sure you have a brand new tranny BEFORE 100k miles. After that, new tranny replacements should have a 1 year/12k mile warranty on them.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Racer

Pass, dont get a car that could have tranny prob after tranny prob. Get a Nissian or a Lexus or a toyota. The acura is the best looking but the tranny sucks. And if you still want a TL get one with nav.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Question? Would like to be driving 70mph and shift to 2nd gear? You can't experience this with any other car.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Sounds like a good deal, if you dont drive very far like me everyday. 30miles each way.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Instructor

PASS SAVE yourself the trouble, or at least your family,
Old 10-25-2004, 07:44 AM
4th Gear

Some of you guys are saying to pass on this car. What is the percentage or ratio of TL's having tranny problems? It obviously can't be every single one of them from 99-04? There have to be some people (like this car's previous owner) who have 80k or more and the tranny is still great.
What are the odds that once I buy the car that something will go wrong? 5:1, 10:1, 100:1???
Old 10-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Racer

It's a gamble and it's up to you! I personally don't have any tranny problems yet, but that thought is always on my mind when I'm driving. Whats going to happen when the tranny goes after 100,000 miles? From what I hear, alot of the replaced tranny's don't last to long. With that many miles...I'll pass on it. Get a used G35 or 350z!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Pro

his not going to find a g35 for 16k, try lowering the price alittle and you got yourself a deal. try to get the oiljet installed if u decide on getting it that would kill it faster or make it last longer both on your benifit as long as it dies before 100k. handles about the transmission i think its just luck. ive broken my transmission once driving nicely, now that i'm hooked up, running nos and everything new transmission hasnt even blinked
Old 10-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Instructor

The chances of you having a trannie problem are much less than the chances of having one. Alot of people on here seem to be under the dillusion that this forum is a representation of the entire TL community. In actuallity there are alot of people that didn't even come to the forum until they started doing research after their tranny failed. There are also ALOT of people that race and beat the crap out of their cars. There are tons of people that haven't had any issues, thus what's the purpose of hanging around the forums?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Racer

Buy what you want and kick yourself later down the road unless of course your feeling lucky and want to gamble.

Let us know if you purchase it or not. I am very interested.

I know what your feeling when your test driving the car. The stares you are getting and the compliments when you stop at a store. Dont get drawn in. Keep looking.

GOOD LUCK
Old 10-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Racer

I like my Tl but with all the problems id never get another one. Plus 80k is a lot of miles, only 20k left for your tranny warranty and also when ur car hits 110k u gotta get a major tune up including the timing belt. if u want a TL that bad get one with lower miles u can still stay around that 17k price tag
Old 10-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Handles
What are the odds that once I buy the car that something will go wrong? 5:1, 10:1, 100:1???
most people have problems.....the ones who don't (like me)....(as in i haven't had my tranny blow while driving and got stuck)....have to put up with SHITTY FRIGGIN RIDE quality.....my tranny kicks, and jolts, and just isn't smooth.....might not be a bad tranny but, it's an acura. I'd trade my TL for a camel with NAV, CD playa, and heated seats......would have the same ride quality.

for ME, 80k is too many miles, you never know how many trannies you'll go through. me personally, i don't plan to be driving this car for anymore than 2 or 2.5 years, and i'm still afraid.

I have a question though.....i heard that our late 02 and 03 models don't have extended warranty for tranny to 100k......should i ask?, and request it in writing?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

I have an '03 TL-S Navi with almost 94,000 miles now and I have had 2 tranny failures. When my 100k mile warranty is up (which will be in about 6 weeks), I am seriously thinking about getting rid of it. I just don't feel like I can trust it.

As much as I love the second gen TL-S, I can't say I would recommend it to anyone. I can't guarantee you that your transmission will fail but I can guarantee you that you will be kicking yourself when it does fail, knowing how many people have had the problem. And..... it is not cheap to fix if you have no warranty......

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Racer

Sheesh.... if the guy lovs the car that much...get it. ALL you guys always worrying bout tranny problems..this community doesn't represent everybody in the U.S. Like ScottoSan said...its up to you..but if it were me...I would pass this deal because the mileage is too high. I would get a 50-60,000 mileage car for 18-20g. Search around...I'm pretty sure you can get that kinda of mileage on a TL.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Just think..... if the entire TL community actually used this forum, we would hear about a lot more tranny problems!!

All joking aside..... most TL drivers on the road have never experienced a tranny problem, so you are probably safe. That being said, I never expected a tranny problem, being that the bulk of mileage is highway driving.

Just knowing that the problem is potentially there, a TL out of warranty may not be a good idea. Yeah, most TL's have not had a problem but you have to admit that the tranny failure rate seems pretty high for this car. I've owned plenty of crap high mileage american cars and never had transmission problems. Even if you know the true failure rate of the tranny on a TL, I bet it is still too high for comfort. Also note, that when the bulk of TL trannies were failing, Acura couldn't even keep trannies on the shelf...... that is never a good sign.

As for people only using the forum because of the tranny problem, I myself joined the forum before buying my TL to see what people do to mod their cars. I used a Pontiac Grand Prix forum for my GTP before I bought the TL-S, and my purpose for joining that forum also had nothing to do with problems........ (BUT, i do agree that the problem probably seems much worse because of all the failures on the forum.)

Ok, I'm not making sense anymore......I'm out.............
Old 10-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Advanced

I personally wouldnt worry too much about the tranny problem. I found this forum two days after i purchased my 03 tl-s and it had me worried sick, but I know believe that a tranny failure is more of the exception rather than the rule, because I am sure there are tons of soccer moms and gramps who could care less about a forum such as this.

However, as for buying the car I would be a little concerned as the mileage is pretty high and you could probably find another TL with lower mileage for about the same price. If you do decide to get the car try not to worry too much as i believe a TL is still a very reliable car
Old 10-26-2004, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

I think that I will pass on this vehicle. You guys talked me out of it.