Mugen exhaust...don't try this at home

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 11:24 PM

Post Mugen exhaust...don't try this at home

These are fantastic exhausts, quiet, look great in a way that complements the classy style of the TL...expensive but worth it.

Downside...when installed (easy process), the left side hangs down at least half an inch lower than the right side. Looks like crap. To get it right, you need to work with someone who knows what they're doing and can make careful step-by-step adjustments until it's right (takes about 30-45 minutes of tweaking).

Here's how mine looks after the adjustments....I love this exhaust!! Looks awesome from the side too. Some prefer other tips, but to me they are perfect for this car.

Old 12-08-2000, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tips are a little too OEM looking. Don't get me wrong... I dig the OEM look.

I like how you cleared out the letterings on the back. Maybe you can relocate the Acura badge lower... to make it look more level. But you'd have to fill up those two nasty nostrils.

------------------
Y2K silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18 x 7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo 225/40/18
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 12-08-2000, 11:47 PM
Racer

SWEET! Your making me drool

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, Burlwood Shifter, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 12-08-2000, 11:55 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great!
How about the power? Do you notice any gain?

------------------
1999 Dark Emerald Pearl TL w/ nav
Factory underbody kit and rear spoiler.
Comptech springs, sways, headers and exhaust.
RS Akimoto Funnel Ram III Intake.
18x7.5 +48 5Zigen Heidfeld wheels with 225/40ZR18 Nitto NT-555 tires.
Inspire Tail-lights with Polarg M-23 P8711R signal bulbs.
DEI Viper 550ESP Alarm
http://home.socal.rr.com/tada/socal28TL.htm
Old 12-09-2000, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by SLVR TL:
The tips are a little too OEM looking. Don't get me wrong... I dig the OEM look.
Personally, I like the sleeper look...with a hint of "mod" so that only those in the know will notice somethings up...the Mugens are perfect in that respect...anyone paying attention will do a double-take...what's that, that ain't no stock exhaust! More like the stock exhaust on steroids! From the side, you notice the ribbed stainless rings just before the tips, and that the tips themselves are substantially bigger than stock (just right to me...no 4" tips for my TL) Not to mention the beautiful stainless cans and tubes leading to the tips.

When I took the exhausts out of the box at the muffler shop, all the techs laid down their tools to come take a look...noone had seen units of this quality before...even the guys in the body shop next door came over to take a look. Awesome. Total quality...you really need to see them in person to get an idea how nice they really look. I'm glad I paid the extra bucks, cause now when I look at my TL, it feels that much more "special".

....Comptech sways coming in next week
Old 12-09-2000, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Always another mod, always more money to spend. It just depends on how you go about it.
Old 12-09-2000, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by socal28:
Looks great!
How about the power? Do you notice any gain?
Think so...hard to tell for sure...nowhere near the level of difference I felt with the throttle body, though. In any case, it's probably not realistic to expect more than 4-5 hp from any exhaust, even one as sophisticated as the Mugen.
Old 12-09-2000, 01:41 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Ramsen:
These are fantastic exhausts, quiet, look great in a way that complements the classy style of the TL...expensive but worth it.

Downside...when installed (easy process), the left side hangs down at least half an inch lower than the right side. Looks like crap. To get it right, you need to work with someone who knows what they're doing and can make careful step-by-step adjustments until it's right (takes about 30-45 minutes of tweaking).

Here's how mine looks after the adjustments....I love this exhaust!! Looks awesome from the side too. Some prefer other tips, but to me they are perfect for this car.

Does it shake ? I mean , have anyone noticed that while you are driving it the exhausts shake a lot ? or better if it doesn't shake at all ?

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
Factory Kit coming up
Old 12-09-2000, 02:01 AM

Although they are rubber mounted and designed to move a bit on heavy bumps, they shouldn't shake or vibrate under normal driving conditions. Mine don't.
Old 12-09-2000, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Cool

I like it! My Mugen exhaust are scheduled for delivery on Monday! I CAN'T WAIT! I do plan on putting them on myself. What type of tweaking did they have to do on yours?

Oh, and I should have my swaybars in by next week, too!

------------------

This photo is "pre-mods"; "post-mods" photo coming......
1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony/Bridgestone Potenza RE730 (size: 225/55ZR-16 on stock rims)/Comptech Headers/Comptech Exhaust (switching to Mugen)/AEM Cold Air Intake and Bi-Pass Valve/Comptech Sport Springs/Comptech Swaybars (on the way)
Old 12-09-2000, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
How much more power is it said to extract?
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-09-2000, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by TITAN3.2TL:
I like it! My Mugen exhaust are scheduled for delivery on Monday! I CAN'T WAIT! I do plan on putting them on myself. What type of tweaking did they have to do on yours?

Oh, and I should have my swaybars in by next week, too!
Congrats on getting the Mugens (and the sways)! Keep checking that ACP # . If you have the Comptech headers (don't know if it's an issue with the stock setup), and unless you're ready to unbolt the manifold, etc, as mentioned above, it's my strong advice not to try to do it yourself. I was working with two experienced muffler guys who, with the very careful application of a heating torch and leverage, tweaked here and there to get it just right...the main thing is not to settle for "close enough" with such nice exhausts...we kept at it until they were perfect.
Old 12-09-2000, 07:45 PM

Question

Just curious, Why did you remove the A C U R A off the trunk?

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 12-09-2000, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by platinumTL:
Just curious, Why did you remove the A C U R A off the trunk?
Didn't really like it there....
Old 12-09-2000, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone posted that you need to install the mufflers having either the exhuast manifold off or the peice right after it. Something about the left side being lower do to the manifold pushing it. They said the last thing you tighten is the manifold. I'm not sure though, try doing a search.
Old 12-09-2000, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found it. It was an older post by NSX4DR

posted 11-25-2000 07:27 PM
Your problem lies with the headers and exhausts. I installed a set on a CL-S and had the same problem. After a long talk with Mike B. and Shad @ Comptech, they told me to slightly loosen the headers and exhausts and straighten. Then they told me while they are level, tighten the headers and exhaust back up. Vwalaaaa it's even now.....hope that helps.....

Old 12-11-2000, 10:54 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

So what is the price difference b/w the Mugen and the CompTech? I need to go see if Tim sells the Mugen for the Acccord.

I have to say the do look sweet! Is that extra loop on the exhaust supposed to help the power, or is that for a different type of sound, or what?

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 170HP & 160ft/lbs
- Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 7.2 sec (G-Tech) [with intake/pulleys]
Old 12-11-2000, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by BNut:
So what is the price difference b/w the Mugen and the CompTech? I need to go see if Tim sells the Mugen for the Acccord.

I have to say the do look sweet! Is that extra loop on the exhaust supposed to help the power, or is that for a different type of sound, or what?
The Mugens cost a lot more...Tim lists the exact prices linked to the home page of this site.
Whether the Mugens are worth the extra cost or not depends on what you want for your TL. I want performance but, for me, the Comptech exhausts were too loud...with the Mugen dual loop, you get the maximum performance without the extra noise. Some might like more volume...the Mugens are, if anything, quieter than stock. For me, the AEM intake provides enough extra sound. To each his own!
Old 12-11-2000, 03:19 PM
Instructor

I'm with you Ramsen! The Comptech's were a little loud for my taste; hence, I sold them and got the Mugen's. They are scheduled to arrive at my home today. Needless to say, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting on them. Damn, UPS, where are you?!?

------------------

1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony/Bridgestone Potenza RE730 (size: 225/55ZR-16 on stock rims)/Comptech Headers/Comptech Exhaust (switching to Mugen)/AEM Cold Air Intake and Bi-Pass Valve/Comptech Sport Springs/Comptech Swaybars (on the way)
Old 12-11-2000, 07:10 PM

Lightbulb

The Comptech exhaust setup is the "quietest" aftermarket I've ever installed on a car. The looks and sound are perfect IMHO. Yes, I wished the exhaust hangers were stiffer, because all that S/S really shows how much free play the exhaust system (all of them) has.

Everytime I start my car I am extremely pleased with the high quality, slightly aggressive sound I hear.

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.
Comptech axle-back exhaust.
225/55ZR-16 RE730s on OEM alloys.
205/55QR-16 Alpins on steel wheels w/covers (winter).

Pictures
Old 12-11-2000, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Smile

No disrespect to Einstien, but you must have never heard Mugen exhaust on a TL. I had the Comptech's for about 2 weeks; and they were a little loud for my taste, so I put the stock exhaust back on. I installed Mugen's today, and I love them. They are, without a doubt, quieter than the stock exhaust. Plus, I have the performance of the Comptech's back again! If you are planning on getting aftermarket exhaust and don't want the increased noise level, I highly recommend the Mugen exhaust!

------------------

1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony
Bridgestone Potenza RE730 (size: 225/55ZR-16 on stock rims)
Comptech Headers
Mugen Exhaust
AEM Cold Air Intake and Bi-Pass Valve
Comptech Sport Springs
Comptech Swaybars (on the way)
Old 12-11-2000, 09:40 PM

I installed Mugen's today, and I love them. They are, without a doubt, quieter than the stock exhaust. Plus, I have the performance of the Comptech's back again! If you are planning on getting aftermarket exhaust and don't want the increased noise level, I highly recommend the Mugen exhaust!

Congrats man...!!!
Old 12-12-2000, 09:45 PM
Advanced

No disrespect to Einstien, but you must have never heard Mugen exhaust on a TL. I had the Comptech's for about 2 weeks; and they were a little loud for my taste, so I put the stock exhaust back on. I installed Mugen's today, and I love them. They are, without a doubt, quieter than the stock exhaust. Plus, I have the performance of the Comptech's back again! If you are planning on getting aftermarket exhaust and don't want the increased noise level, I highly recommend the Mugen exhaust!

Congrads. Part of the Mugen Club. hehe. Did you get the exhaust installed at shop?

bf
Old 12-12-2000, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Congrads. Part of the Mugen Club. hehe. Did you get the exhaust installed at a shop?

bf

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by FongsTL on December 12, 2000 @ ]</font>
Old 12-12-2000, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Nope, did it myself in about 25 minutes (not including having to run to the hardware store for nuts and bolts)! They seem to be lined up pretty good. I will post some photos tomorrow possibly!

------------------

1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony
Comptech Headers
Mugen Exhaust
Comptech Sport Springs
Old 12-13-2000, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Congrats Titan and Ramsen!

I love my Mugens as well, though mine still aren't level. Only problem is with the 20 inches of snow we got yesterday I can't drive the way I would like.

The pictures above don't do them justice. In real life you can see the ribs. They really don't look OEM.
Old 12-13-2000, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Cool

BrightTL is right! The photos DON'T do them justice. When I was installing mine, I stepped back to observe the difference after installing the left exhaust. I wish I would have had enough sense to take a quick picture for comparison purposes, but I was a bit of a hurry. The difference was astonishing! The Mugen's are beautiful!!

------------------

1999 Acura 3.2TL
Black with Ebony
Comptech Headers
Mugen Exhaust
Comptech Sport Springs
Old 12-13-2000, 09:51 PM

Smile

BrightTL is right! The photos DON'T do them justice....The difference was astonishing! The Mugen's are beautiful!!

Amen brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!