Locking threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Locking threads

Can we chill? If a thread is getting replies, can you let it slide to the next page before you move it?

I see no point in forcing discussions in other forums. If its not being discussed, lock and move it or just lock it. But I really don't think moving threads that are being discussed is helpful to the board. =Z

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways & springs.

On order: 19" Alstadt IVs, 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s, SuperCrystal lugs.

Nate's ride
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 03-11-2001, 11:00 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EXACTLY!!!

just chill!
Old 03-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Drifting

that's true. but that way, we don't need any other forums but TL Discussion. the problem is that there are way too many posts in TL Discussion, and what I'm doing is moving or deleting posts that are not related to TL at all to the forum that they should be posted on. if not many ppl go to those forums, that's cuz they choose not to read posts that are not related to TL.

------------------
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-12-2001, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

That doesn't work. Look at adamyankee's post about the rims he wants. Thats OT. You didn't move that.

If I want to discuss something with the people on this site then I post it in the main discussion where it will be seen. Your moving GOOD topics results in nothing but GOOD topics getting no posts.

Maybe in your opinion they aren't good topics. But if they are not flames and they are getting lots of posts, why move them???

I'm not saying don't lock crappy threads. I'm saying don't lock GOOD threads that are being posted to, off topic or not. It ruins good threads to move them where they will not be seen and it doesn't help make people visit the other forums at all.
Old 03-12-2001, 12:51 AM
Drifting

I know what you're talking about, and think about this, does anyone like the cop that pulled them over and gave them a ticket? does anyone like the parents yelling at them about some stupid things? well, what the moderators are doing is what they should do, not a must, but should. also, a good discussion can be continued by leaving the original post here in TL Discussion but locked, so ppl can still read it, but if they do want to post, they can do so in another forum. you're a moderator, you know how moving posts goes, two options. and we post where it goes just because that ppl can go visit that forum and post their opinions. about locking posts, it's just cuz that it doesn't have to be continued because it's endless. for example, ths SLOASSACCORD topic. no point to be continued. even a Integra or Civic with NOS can kick its ass. what's the point? plus TL has a better ride quality and it's very quiet compared to Accord. it's pointless.

------------------

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-12-2001, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

My point is that moving good threads takes a great deal of friendliness from the site.
Old 03-12-2001, 01:08 AM
Instructor

I'm with Nate on this one. Red, don't let the moderator ability get to your head. Your fantasy of having the TL discussion forum being only TL related is a little naive I'm afraid. I'm sure you know that many of us come here not only for TL news. I understand that you moderators want to keep some order and organization to this forum but regulating should only go to a certain point. Your example of the police and your parents are a little extreme no? Is posting a topic about rims or a comparison query breaking the law? I didn't think so. You have been posting an awful lot trying to justify your position and I feel for you. But this is the TL owners' site. Maybe your house is governed by your parents which is why you listen to your parents but what makes this site go is the members not the moderators. I don't mean to diss the moderators. You guys do a great job of maintaining the integrity of the site and keeping it organized.

Red's example of the thread by FastAssAccord is irrelevant. Nate already admitted that the bad threads should be moved or locked but when you start locking and moving everything even in the gray area, you're becoming like moderator nazis I agree we should move the obviously OT or stupid threads but the ones that generate sound automotive discussion that may not be specifically TL related, I vote that we keep those. Let the good ones slide and lock the obvious ones.

Peace

------------------
Dark Emerald Pearl 2000 3.2 TL with Nav, Sebring Mufflers, Sebring Quad Sport Exhaust System, Factory Spoiler, HP Quantum Mirror Tint, 6 Disc Alpine CD changer, 16" 139C Pacer wheels, yokohama 215/55/16s, PIAA 1700x
------------

http://www.stanford.edu/~sevan9
Old 03-12-2001, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Oh yeah, one more thing. I think a lot of people take pride in the resources that are available. Being helpful in suggesting other sites to complement the resources is fine but telling us to go to other sites is not the friendly replies I think people are expecting. Unless you want us to start replying with "yahoo.com" because I'm sure you can find almost anything there

------------------
Dark Emerald Pearl 2000 3.2 TL with Nav, Sebring Mufflers, Sebring Quad Sport Exhaust System, Factory Spoiler, HP Quantum Mirror Tint, 6 Disc Alpine CD changer, 16" 139C Pacer wheels, yokohama 215/55/16s, PIAA 1700x
------------

http://www.stanford.edu/~sevan9
Old 03-12-2001, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Haven't we been through all this shit already?

How many fvckin times do you people wanna go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round about this shit?
Old 03-12-2001, 04:47 PM
Banned

Angry

Wasn't Tim gonna restructure the forums... stop locking us up you control freak moderators...
Tim can you get these guys under control...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Ok, here are the topics I have moved in the last 2 days. Keep in mind, when we move a topic, it creates a locked thread on the TL forum. That way people at least know where the topic went.

"Stock Speakers" - moved the Audio Forum

"just checked out 2002 TL-S - my opinions" - um we have a TLS forum too

TLS commercial" - ditto

Anyone have a problem with the topics I moved? Ya know I seem to rememeber someone a few months ago, a regular to this forum, who b!tched and complained about there being so much crap in the TL forum. Hmmm...now we are trying to put stuff in it's proper place and you b!tch about that too.

WTF do you want us to do? I say screw the whole thing and have ONE big f*ckin' forum called CRAP. That way you can put whatever the hell you want in it.

Oh wait there was one like that. I think it was called Honda-Acura.net Remember?...that's why Tim started this....

------------------
1999 Satin Silver Metallic 3.2 TL w/o Navigation
  • 18x8 Racing Hart C2s with 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000
  • Comptech Springs, Sways, Exhaust, and Headers
  • Red AEM CAI w/bypass valve
  • A'PEXi Digital VTEC AFC
  • Factory Underbody Kit and Spoiler
  • Clifford Intelliguard 9000 Alarm
  • Alpine 6 disk CD Changer
  • BEL 945i Cordless Radar Detector
  • Burlwood Shift Knob & Trunk Tray
  • 20% tint
Mugen Grill on order
Old 03-12-2001, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by NSXNEXT:
I say screw the whole thing and have ONE big f*ckin' forum called CRAP.
LOL!

I've never had a problem with too many posts in General Discussion. The only people that do are the people that are too lazy to click the damn next page link. These same people are also too damn lazy to visit any other forum on this site.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Nate:
The only people that do are the people that are too lazy to click the damn next page link. These same people are also too damn lazy to visit any other forum on this site.
Agreed...
Old 03-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First of all, thanks to the moderator... thank you all for what you have done for us, no matter it's for the better or worse, no matter we like it or not...

I can see any problem with the threads NSXNEXT moved, excpet that maybe the "Stock speakers" thread will never get answered. Yes, "stock speakers" does belong to Audio forum, but I think it's better to leave it in the TL discussion.

I think Red is trying hard to make something happen here... But I think this place is going down... I don't like it here as much as I did before. I am not saying that Red did anything wrong... please.. no... I just saying how I feel...

There is nothing wrong with you moderators, it's just the fact that maybe we don't need the audio forum... I think the discussion about stock market should move to OT long before the "stock speaker" got moved.....

Well, Tim... if you are around.... please do something....... I really just love this board and somehow everyone felt like a big family here... but not anymore now.........
Old 03-12-2001, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

Nah this board isn't dieing, its as great as it ever was!
Old 03-12-2001, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Red face

That doesn't work. Look at adamyankee's post about the rims he wants. Thats OT. You didn't move that.

If I want to discuss something with the people on this site then I post it in the main discussion where it will be seen. Your moving GOOD topics results in nothing but GOOD topics getting no posts.....
Having a Flaming Party w/o me?

I actually agree with Nate, that should be OT, but Where else can I post an opinion discussion about rims for my TL?(For now at least).

If I posted in OT, it would still be sitting there and that actually could hurt Tims business.

I got some great replies in the main discussion and they helped with my decision.

It seems like it's either about the actual TL or don't even bother.

I posted an OT question the other day and finally got an answer after I referenced it in the main. I asked him where he saw the post and he said main discussion because he rarely even goes in any other forums.

------------------

1999 Firepepper Red
Under Body Kit/Rear Wing Spoiler/26 Piece Wood Grain Console/BurlWood Shift Knob/
30% Smoke Tint/Comptech Sways & Springs (not installed yet)

More Pics
Old 03-12-2001, 07:16 PM
Pro

Im surprised that this topic isnt moved or locked already!!!
Old 03-12-2001, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Why is it that of all the sites I actively post on, only the guys here have a problem with organization? this is ridiculous! You don't think the other sites related to other cars or other topics wer once like this too? Look at organization on IS300.net, look at organization at miata.net, S2000online.com, I can go on, you know! Why is it so hard to grasp that we are just trying to make it as easy as possible to work around the forums? Why doesn't anyone else check out the other forums? You really think there's that much activity going on in TL Discussion that you can just sit and hang out in that forum all day? sheesh.. We have other forums, USE THEM! I and a few others got OT working with more activity, and it's up to 6 pages so far..Why is this you ask? cuz we've been pushing and trying to stress organization here... We're not trying to make your lives difficult, we're trying to make Tim's life easier!remember that!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-12-2001, 10:36 PM
Drifting

we don't need moderators, not even that many forums but as mentioned above, one forum named "CRAP". based on that, even no need for this site.

------------------

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-12-2001, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

Ah c'mon now RH, cheer up old boy! We've got to win tomorrow! YOU CAN DO IT!

ALL YOUR THREADS ARE BELONG TO US.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:14 PM
Safety Car

I don't think its all that hard to understand... why do we post? To get replies. Where do we get the most replies? General Discussion. Where do we post the most?

I suppose I understand what the mods are trying to accomplish... it just isn't working... you can never underestimate the power of stupidty in large groups.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

I suppose I understand what the mods are trying to accomplish... it just isn't working... you can never underestimate the power of stupidty in large groups.

ALL YOUR THREADS ARE BELONG TO US
Ha ha ha LMAO - You're too funny Nate!

Red Hot this is supposed to be fun

Old 03-13-2001, 01:34 AM
Drifting

hahaha, I'm trying to be serious here, guys... anyway, Nate, it's not GENERAL DISCUSSION anymore but TL DISCUSSION... and the major problem is too many new posts in it every fricking day. Tim had a post couple days ago about this, it might be on the last page already...

------------------

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-13-2001, 01:46 AM
Burning Brakes

This is a DEMOCRACY!!! And we say leave it!!! hHehe... j/k...But I do understand why topics like... where can i get a good haircut? And i just watched a movie... etc. Shit like that should be locked...

Problem is, no one checks the OFF TOPIC, most of us has fast connection, so i check it. But when im on a modem, i ignore everything but TL discussion and TL gallery. Thas it...
Old 03-13-2001, 01:49 AM
Ain't No Other...

OH SHAT!!! Let me get in on this!!!!!

Well I gotta say that I like how TLDaddy moderates the best...he is just ideal...TLDaddy dont worry Im not gay...

TLDaddy is very informative, laid back, doesn't seem to have power trip, even posts pictures for us to look at in the O/T section...Keep it up!

As for you NSXNext, your just too funny, no sarcasm intended, you are funny, your comments and the way you use profanity are just hilarious, keep that up also!!!

Other moderators your doing a great job also, but I think Ive seen Red Hot move the most posts in the last month...just an observation...So what we gonna do about this guys?!?!? I think Nate's idea is great, about leaving informative posts alone for a page or two...

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL, 17x7.5 ATP wheels with Pirelli 215/50/17 P7000SS, OEM spoiler, K&N filter, Tint all Around. Inspire Foglight Switch, PIAA 1700X fogs, Polarg M-12 corners.
Next Mod: H&R springs.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this where we start calling everyone a HOMO??
Old 03-13-2001, 02:01 AM
Safety Car

Why? Did you see that accord guy in this thread?
Old 03-13-2001, 06:42 AM
Pro

Exclamation

Originally posted by Lawaia:
Is this where we start calling everyone a HOMO??
How are you gentlemen?
All your Gays are belong to us.
You have no chance to survive make your time.

Hahaha for real:

Yes we've been through this, yes we want to talk about it again, if you have a problem with it, what the hell are you reading this for, go drive your damn TL, or go play Quake or something.

It all comes down to this: Other forums get less traffic than the main forum, for whatever reason, organization, lack of broadband users, whatever. That's not something that we can easily change. Just accept that fact.

Therefore the only way to get any real opinions on something you need relatively soon is to post it in the main discussion.

Yes I do use the other forums, but not for browsing. I use them as references.

I don't say, "hum de dum, I feel like reading about all of TL audio issues today."

I doubt that anyone does. I'm sure it goes more like this. "I feel like reading about the TL, and all the questions and issues all the other TL owners have. And, oh yeah, I was going to buy a capacitor but didn't know how many farads to get, maybe I can look it up in the audio forum and see what other people had to say about it."

I'm sure that's how ALOT of us feel and treat this bulletin board.

The same applies for nearly all forums. I seriously doubt that anyone says "I feel like reading about 200 technical problems and solutions today" its more like "I have a rattle or vapor lock, or a technical service bulletin, maybe I can find it in tech probs and soln's"

So my main point is what everyone else has been pushing for: Don't lock the threads people are still posting to until its been inactive for a few days.

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 03-13-2001, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Maybe you all missed what I just wrote above...

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
We're not trying to make your lives difficult, we're trying to make Tim's life easier!remember that!
[/B]
You find me a forum that is auto oriented, and accept's all sorts or posts (e.g. not auto related), and I'll settle down. Deal?
Ed

------------------

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Old 03-13-2001, 10:54 AM
Banned

That is TOO funny! This forum is the best, organized or not.

------------------
1997 2.5 TL Premium - 100% Stock
1976 Camaro Type LT
Old 03-13-2001, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Ah c'mon now RH, cheer up old boy! We've got to win tomorrow! YOU CAN DO IT!

Hahahahaha Thats hilarious. Im gonna start using that in my sig. I'm a newbie mod(to this site anyway) and my take on posts is this If post is linked in anyway to the car in that particular forum I'll leave it be.

For example comparing another car to the TL, opinions on how certain rims would look on the car, audio questions as they relate to the TL, such as what size are my speakers, how do I take this apart, adding an amp to my stock stereo, seeing what has actually worked on another TL etc, etc, etc....

My reasoning is that the person who just wants basic info on a specific modification or technique that has worked on someone elses car would probably get the basic answer and firsthand testimonials he is looking for in the general discussion forum where the most traffic is. Where he would find the most people who had already done what he was planning to do and get the guidance he needed. Whereas if he was looking for a more technical answer or if the discussion became more technical then maybe moving the thread over to the proper forum would be the best thing to do.

However posts about stocks, and other questions that have nothing at all to do with the TL belong in OT. Audio questions about what amp is better and what wiring to use, etc etc which are just general audio questions and have no bearing as to how they realte to the TL would probably be better off in the audio forum.

Well thats my take on it, but keep in mind that its hard to please everyone all of the time, and alot of the time judgement calls are made that vary from person to person even among the mods.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi(on the way)

Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 03-13-2001, 12:17 PM
The "old" guy

Hmmmm.....I have no problem with the organization of this site. But....I have broadband at work and at home so my connects are fast. I check off topic everytime I come in along with the TL-s and the TL forums....no problem. Like all the forums... Hey..the bottom line is "You cant please all the people all the time". I think all the mods do a great job, none of them is doing ANYTHING that I see as unreasonable! They arent doing ANYTHING to piss anyone off intentionally. Geeze people...this is a forum for TL lovers....its not a life.....get one!

------------------
72 Olds 442 Convertible (dual ram air) Play ride
99 Chevy Explorer high top conversion (vacation ride)
94 Ranger Splash 4x4 ext cab. (work/haul ride)
80 Honda CB750F (Shoei/Kerker) wheelie ride
02 TL-S Aegean Blue (due 3/18) MY RIDE
00 John Deere 4 wheel steer (yard ride...hehe)
Old 03-13-2001, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by grishulia:
That what made this site so great... until Tim gave you, control freak moderators, the ability to say what belongs here and what doesn't...
Is that why the other sites I listed are triple the size with more than 5000 Users, Jacka$$? Must be the $hitty [sic] organization and user's ignorance [sic] that made them so big, right?
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL
Old 03-13-2001, 07:15 PM
Drifting

well, in that case, I think we only need one forum named "TL Discussion". cuz everything is related to the TL! for example, the topic "what stock to buy tomorrow", a guy that owns the TL posted the topic, so somehow it's fricking TL-related... what should stay in TL Discussion is the general topics, not details liks audio, not techanical, not installation, but like general. and you guys do know that tim hasn't been on the site that much lately because he was working on the autocarparts.com and improving the web site. like a company with employees. the boss can't do everything. what the moderators are doing is what they're supposed to do as a moderator. all the members are like the customers, and of course, some good ones and some B1TCHY ones complaining about stupid things. as ed has said, we are helping this forum to be organized and clean. and yes, I did move a lot of posts because ppl like GRISHULIA keep posting OTs in fricking TL Discussion. I am pretty surprised that I'm not the worst, grishulia, since I moved that many posts that you don't agree they are not TL-related. I even talked to merlyn to have him change the avatar on aim when you started complaining about something on the forum. thought you were a normal nice guy, a person that might be a friend. hell no! just realized you're a 12 year old little whining B1TCH. what I'm doing is what I'm supposed to do. and maybe I judge the topics too extreme that if it's not general posts that are TL-related, I move it wherever I think they belong to.

------------------

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-13-2001, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

Hi.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Angry

This thread needs to be locked.....seriously!
Old 03-13-2001, 11:43 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
You find me a forum that is auto oriented, and accept's all sorts or posts (e.g. not auto related), and I'll settle down. Deal?
Ed
That what made this site so great... until Tim gave you, control freak moderators, the ability to say what belongs here and what doesn't...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...