View Poll Results: Where do you get you oil changed?
Jiffy Lube
0%
Dealer
61.76%
Local Garage
20.59%
Other Express Lube Chain
17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Is Jiffy Lube O.K. for oil changes??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 06:25 PM
tea elle

Question Is Jiffy Lube O.K. for oil changes??????

What do you guys thinK? Where do you get your oil changed. Those of you who do it yourself need not reply, because I'll never change my own oil...not as long as I live. Not even if the oil and filter were free.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer only, they're free for life
Old 07-02-2001, 06:56 PM
Instructor

from my experience, Jiffy Lube never changes the washer for the oil pan plug bolt as recommended by Honda/Acura...

other than that, Jiffy Lube's not bad... fairly quick service w/ someone you don't have to make an appointment with...

my 2 cents...
Old 07-02-2001, 07:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Though told that I need not reply, I offer that changing your own oil ensures that it's done right. Yes, it's a dirty job, but my friend Kirill used to manage a Jiffy-Lube near my house and he couldn't even count the number of oil drain pans the technicians had stripped the threads out of by overtightening the drain plug. And their database isn't always up to date, either. I recall taking my Integra there not too long after I got it in 1997 (but 4 models years into the 3rd Generation Integra) and the guy asked me if it was the 2.2L or 3.0L engine. Bzzzzt.. neither. He'd have put too much oil in it had I not known the correct amount.

I enjoy doing it myself and will continue to do so. Sorry for "breaking" your first statement, btw
Old 07-02-2001, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I do it myself, but once took the car to JiffyLube. Guess what? They put one quart too much in. Before you guys who go to Acura get all smug, the dealer has also made mistakes.

Like someone above said, ya gotta do it yourself if ya wanna make sure it's done right. Kind of sad...
Old 07-02-2001, 07:32 PM
Original Member #81

Local garage...........

It just so happens to be connected to the house.....:o
Old 07-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I let the ACURA DEALER change it.
I try to let the dealer service my cars at least the first 3yrs of ownership. I do this to have a good record on the car that it has been serviced. My last Accord was only serviced by the dealer & an ACURA/HONDA shop. The shop is owned by a guy that had worked for the dealership for many yrs & he had a few other Techs that had worked at the same dealership. I had know them from 1980 when I got my 1st Honda Prelude at the dealer & they had also worked on my 90 Accord at the dealer. When I got my 94 Accord I let them do oil changes on it as well as a fuel injection cleaner service. I will let the dealer work on the TL for awhile.
I have tire service done at NTB this is rotation & balance.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:12 PM
Banned

I've known people that have gone to Jiffy Lube and the like for years and never had a problem. I also know of people that have gone there and had horrible experiences. I change my own oil because, like others on the list have posted, I want to know it is done right, plus it gives me a chance to check out the condition of the other mechanical bits under the nose of the car while I'm down there. Sure it can be a pain in the ass (anyone who has changed their own oil and not burned their arm on a hot cat or manifold pipe is a liar )--especially on my old '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R. But if you really don't want to do it yourself, this is what you should consider when deciding where to take your car:

1. Quality of service - Although this is not a tried and true rule, most employees working at Jiffy Lube are younger kids making close to minimum wage, probably not concerned about "moving up" in the business. If it's not their career, they probably don't put a lot of care into what they do. Acura dealers are a little more selective on who they hire. Ask wayneg or Jens and they will probably confirm this. They know about the cars they work on and have to answer to the Acura TLC way of doing things.

2. Quality of parts - Acura stocks--duh--Acura parts, including OEM filters and (as someone else already mentioned) the drain plug washer--something Jiffy Lube definitely does not have. You get the right parts for your car every time.

3. Availability of parts - Think about how many different types of cars are on the road. Now think about how many different types of oil filters are available. Do you really think it is possible that a Jiffy Lube could stock every possible filter for all the cars they are going to service in a given day? Obviously they can't. Ever heard of anyone getting turned away for service because they didn't have their filter in stock? Nope, me neither. They just change the oil, wipe the filter with a rag and out you go. I know this has been done in the past. With the Sentra SE-R I had, the filter was in the worst possible place for changing. If you didn't get burned on the engine block, your hand got stuck between the A/C lines. Several guys on the SE-R list would write their initials on the filter and send their cars in for oil changes. They'd come out and the service slip would read oil/filter change and their initials would still be on the filter. The average motorist isn't going to notice a filter not changed, especially when the manufacturer says it can go to 15,000 between changes.

4. Availability of oil - Our 2002 TL-Ss take 5W-20 oil. Try finding that in a store. Think Jiffy Lube stocks that on a regular basis? Think again. You'll get 5W-30 if you're lucky.

Again, I want to state (after this long ramble) that I do know of people that have used Jiffy Lube for years and have never had a problem. Others have had nightmares. You are the only one that can decide what is good for your car. If I didn't do my own changes, I'd go to an Acura/Honda dealer. I know they have the parts, the techs are trained on the cars, and Acura will usually wash/vacuum the car as well. Plus if there is ever a challenge to a warranty claim of neglected maintenence, they'd have to only look at their own service records to see that's not true.

My $.06 worth....
Old 07-02-2001, 08:32 PM
Instructor

The TL is the easiest car i've ever owned to change the oil. To change the filter all you have to do is turn your front wheels, and the filter is right there. simple takes 10-15 minutes......
Old 07-02-2001, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I do it myself or go to my friends shop and do it there..
Ed
Old 07-02-2001, 09:55 PM
Racer

i bring it to the dealer, its only 10 minutes from my house and they only charge $21.95, how can you beat that? and they wash and vacuum my car for me too
Old 07-02-2001, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I go to the dealer for the same reason as pv22clif. Though the dealer charges $29.95 for a change, it's still equal or less to what the Jiffy Lube charges around here.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Havent done my car yet, but I have yet to take a car I own and care about to a quickie oil change place. For what most places charge for a regular oil chane, I usually do myself using full synthetics. If I had to choose, I would go with a local garage. You can buy the oil and filter and let them do the labor
Old 07-02-2001, 10:51 PM
Advanced

I agree with the people who do it themselves. It only takes 10 - 15 minutes and you know it is done right. I did my first the other day and it cost me about $12 and was easy to do. I find it hard to trust people with my car. They do not care as much as I do. Even with simple things like oil changes, things can go wrong, like using too much oil. I put exactly 4.6 qts. of oil in the car and used 5W-30 like we are supposed to. It feels good to do it yourself and it is easier than you may think.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:04 AM
RWD convert

I say do it yourself. I just did mine last week with my dad. I changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic. I was going to try Royal Purple but I was told that Mobil 1 was better and that RP was not worth it. An oil change is not a hassle at all, plus I got to use a good quality oil unlike some quick oil-change places.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Red face

I probably could do it myself...but I don't so I go to the dealer.
They don't charge that much, they give me a 10% discount towards the next oil change, a reminder notice when it's about time for another change and a 17 point inspection everytime I change the oil.....Go to the dealer
Old 07-03-2001, 11:13 AM
Pro

They're OK

Even though I usually do it myself there are times that I simply don't have the time. I have used Jiffy Lube or similar without any problems. The only thing I need to remember is to make sure they DO NOT top off the trans fluid during their routine check. It will make your car shift badly.

However, I have managed to accumulate a free oil change at the dealer. So, the first oil/filter change on my TL-S is on them.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Hondaman
The TL is the easiest car i've ever owned to change the oil. To change the filter all you have to do is turn your front wheels, and the filter is right there. simple takes 10-15 minutes......
WOAH! I wasted time lifting my car this past weekend. I'll make sure I do it the easy way next time.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:42 PM
Racer

I could probably do it myself but i go to the dealer and get it done I have had it serviced twice since I picked it up both times at the dealer
Old 07-05-2001, 02:18 PM
Racer

What about disposing of the old oil? You can't just throw it out with the garbage, you have to bring it to a garage or somewhere to be recycled, just like old tires except that you can't make a swing out of old oil.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by genghis
What about disposing of the old oil? You can't just throw it out with the garbage, you have to bring it to a garage or somewhere to be recycled, just like old tires except that you can't make a swing out of old oil.
Most JiffyLube-type places will take old oil and filters as part of their environmental liscensing requirements. The one down the street from me does, at least, and has a sign in front to that effect. It's free but they'll only take like 10 quarts at a time.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Thumbs down I wouldn't go to Jifffy Lube in my life!

After all the horror stories I've heard from my friends about those places. One time they forgot to screw the drain plug back in tight and all the oil can out of the car. The car's engine got fried and who denies it? Jiffy Lube. Still in a law suit for it. The people don't seem to know much other than working for low paid and just filling the liquids as needed. I would rather do it myself or go to a local mechanic that you can trust or look over his shoulder. Better be safe or be sorry! You get what you pay for. Don't most dealerships will not honor warranty if they found out that non Acura dealership or certified mechanics messed up your car? I would hate to make a claim on internal engine problems if I don't have an Acura oil filter on my car.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Disposal of old oil

Pretty much any place that I know of will take your old oil. Only in limited quatities. Like 10 quarts as Gomez pointed out. I used to change my oil myself on my nissan pick up and took the old oil to Pep Boys. All you have to do is drop it off and log your name in the book.
Old 07-05-2001, 02:52 PM
Racer

I either use the dealer (if it's time for a service visit) or a Jiffy Lube or its equivalent (since my dealer is 20 miles away). We've got a good local place called "Tech Lube" that we've used for years. They've always had the grade of oil we've needed, along with Mobile One synthetics. They're thorough, polite, and it costs around $20.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by genghis
You can probably call your local chamber of commerce or environmental body and ask them where you can dispose of used oil. I think Wal-Mart used to take used oil for disposal for a couple of bucks. I know they'll dispose of your old lead-acid batteries for a small fee.

Those guys who change your oil yourselves: Do you have pictures of the procedure?
Old 07-09-2001, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil changes

I only went to a quickie oil change place once and that was enough. It was during my pre-Acura years. Took my old Chevy during lunch. That night while I it was parked in front of my house, I noticed a puddle of oil, not the normal spotting you get just after an oil change, but a puddle. Lifted up the car and noticed some old beat up drain plug without a washer was used. I knew this because I put in a new drain plug a few months earlier. Luckily I noticed it at home and not on the road after i lost all my oil. I was later told by someone in the "oil-lube business" that it is common practice for these guys to let the plug drop into the pan. They won't fish around for it until they dump your oil, so you get a old one from a previous oil change. So I got an old one and someone else got my new one.

I changed my own oil during the majority of the eight years I owned my '93 Vigor, but time and having to deal with the old oil got tiresome. I got to know the service manager of my local Acura Dealer pretty well and have followed him as he has moved to a different dealership. They offer me a discount on my oil changes, I trust the guy, and I always get my car back washed. I just do it during lunch.

Due to availability, I didn't buy my new TL at the same dealership, bought it at another dealer 35 miles away. I'll be taking it to where I bought it for my first oil change (only 2,400 miles on it now) since it is free. After that, I'll be taking it to my usual place.

Sorry for the long ramble.
Old 07-09-2001, 03:03 PM
Instructor

I GET IT DONE AT THE ACURA DELAR
Old 07-09-2001, 04:40 PM
Racer

Wink

Well...I could do it myself also, but I get 2 years free oil change so I figure I do it there and get some free coffee while Im at it