IPOD Connection for 2002 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPOD Connection for 2002 Acura TL

I am interested in connecting an IPOD to my 2002 Acura TL (no navi). I am leaning towards using the Blitzsafe to connect the IPOD. I've searched through the forums, and I can only find the pictures and instructions for connecting to a CL HU using Ice-link (http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf). Does anyone know if pictures and instructions exist for the TL? Is it safe to say that the same procedure would be used for the TL with a Blitzsafe? If I only remove the passenger wood trim and knee panel, how difficult is it to reach the back of the HU to plug the adapter in?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Clemson Tiger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cassette adapters are an easy way to get a good signal. Whatever you do don't get a radio transmitter
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are using Blitzsafe it plugs into the back of the stock head unit in the CD changer plug. If you take off the passenger side wood and then the other bigger plastic panel, you might be able to reach around and plug it in, but if not it's not really that hard to unscrew the head unit and slide it out a bit to get some more room.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JakerfTL
Cassette adapters are an easy way to get a good signal. Whatever you do don't get a radio transmitter
agreed. i use a tape adapter and you can only hear the clicking of the cassette if your music is very quite. fm transmiters have way too much static and it can be heard at any volume. go for a cassette adapter, mine's from an old Sony Walkman, so i assume you can find a really cheap one out there somewhere
Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
School or Mods???

cassette adapters are cheap way to go...if you listen music loudly, it will be fine...
I like it...
if you want to spend more money...there are other good ways...
Old 10-03-2008, 05:19 PM
love the ACK

Dont waste your money on a cassette adapter. The blitzsafe works great. You will be able to put it in be removing only the passenger side panel and plastic wood. The unit fits wery well under the head unit, and it isnt too hard to get to the CD Changer connecter. If you want the installation to look clean then you might as well take the center console off so you can run the wire that attaches to the ipod.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by catfish
Dont waste your money on a cassette adapter. The blitzsafe works great. You will be able to put it in be removing only the passenger side panel and plastic wood. The unit fits wery well under the head unit, and it isnt too hard to get to the CD Changer connecter. If you want the installation to look clean then you might as well take the center console off so you can run the wire that attaches to the ipod.
Waste what money? lol 10 bucks? haha
Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM
love the ACK

Originally Posted by jwskier187
Waste what money? lol 10 bucks? haha
Yo, that 10 bucks will give me about 3 gallons of fuel. No need to waste
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Pro

Haha...
Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rhiannon1207
I am interested in connecting an IPOD to my 2002 Acura TL (no navi). I am leaning towards using the Blitzsafe to connect the IPOD. I've searched through the forums, and I can only find the pictures and instructions for connecting to a CL HU using Ice-link (http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf). Does anyone know if pictures and instructions exist for the TL? Is it safe to say that the same procedure would be used for the TL with a Blitzsafe? If I only remove the passenger wood trim and knee panel, how difficult is it to reach the back of the HU to plug the adapter in?

Thanks for your help!
its the same for the tl.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 AM
.a BUM with SMG...

Man tape is fine but it always got disconnect or broken down some wire inside the tape or something so every after a few months, my tape sounds up only on the right front and rear or the oposite side. The wiring in the tape so damn cheap and easy to messup. lol now im hearing two fronts with no rear lol. It doesnt matter if you get a expensive one or a cheap one.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:38 AM
There's no Acura in

Do you lose CD playback if you get one of those Blitzsafe modules since it goes into the CD changer slot?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
no. you just press the CD button twice and it plays you ipod. press it again to switch back to CD.

the bliztsafe(or any rear-connected HU adaptor) plays CD quality. cant say the same for casette adaptor.

as has been mentioned, the blitzsafe fits right behind the HU. i stuck it in behind there, then ran the ipod cable under the console into the top portion of my armrest. there's even a premolded slot for you to run the wire right into the top section so you could store your ipod there for easy access.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro

bitzsafe model number for 1999 tl no navi?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by azn_xxxd
Man tape is fine but it always got disconnect or broken down some wire inside the tape or something so every after a few months, my tape sounds up only on the right front and rear or the oposite side. The wiring in the tape so damn cheap and easy to messup. lol now im hearing two fronts with no rear lol. It doesnt matter if you get a expensive one or a cheap one.
lol... my cassette adapter is working awesome, i always leave it in the tape deck so it has no chance of gettin messed up!!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 PM
10th Gear

I use the USA-Spec adapter. It allows me to use the iPod in "Hybrid" mode which allows you to control the iPod via its controls or the radio's controls.

Also it has a quick playlist select so it chooses playlist 1-5 for discs 1-5, disc 6 is an auxiliary input I use for satellite radio.

I recently got an iPhone and the adapter does work with the iPhone however it does no charge the iPhone. I emailed USA-Spec and they said they would be releasing an iPhone compatible cable within 3-4 weeks that would charge the iPhone for $19.99.

My experience with the adapter has been a good one and I installed it in my car without removing the head unit. Also my vehicle has navigation.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
2G wanting 3G

i have a tape adapter and it works great. i hid the wire by pulling up the wood on the left side to hide the cord and then the wire comes out by the armrest, so i dropped it down inside and it comes up through the hole in the cup holder along with my phone charger. you only see 2inch of wire by the radio. i like the tape adapter because not only can i play am ipod but a zune or sansa or a cellphone or whatever kinda mp3 player is in the ride. plus if you crank up the mp3 player you can make the music even louder than if you had the actual cd!!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Race Director

I have an Isimple from best buy and its great.

Never given me any problems and the quality is AWESOME. The tape thing is alright but the quality isnt great. Plus I can now use the wheel controls to control the Ipod.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 9932
i have a tape adapter and it works great. i hid the wire by pulling up the wood on the left side to hide the cord and then the wire comes out by the armrest, so i dropped it down inside and it comes up through the hole in the cup holder along with my phone charger. you only see 2inch of wire by the radio. i like the tape adapter because not only can i play am ipod but a zune or sansa or a cellphone or whatever kinda mp3 player is in the ride. plus if you crank up the mp3 player you can make the music even louder than if you had the actual cd!!
Even 2" of wire coming out of the cassette player is enough to tell a would be thief that there may be an iPod or other MP3 player in your TL. I prefer the adapters that go into the back of the radio since the wires can be completely hidden.

That's the same reason I don't like the custom iPod mounts that sit off to the right of the radio. They just advertise that there could be an iPod in the car.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i recommend the blitzsafe, ive got it in my 02 tls and its been bulletproof. Install was a piece of cake, literally plug in.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 AM
WIP-Work in Progress

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Go with blitzsafe, I've had my for a year and it works great.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
'03 TL-S NaV SSM

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I have an Isimple from best buy and its great.

Never given me any problems and the quality is AWESOME. The tape thing is alright but the quality isnt great. Plus I can now use the wheel controls to control the Ipod.

I was thinking about getting this one too since you can use it for more than an Ipod AND use the steering wheel controls and such... but it doesn't say it's exactly compatible with our cars. The factory plug on our 2nd Gen TL's fit?

Did you install it yourself?

Looks like a good product to upgrade to HD radio in the future too.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:55 PM
2G wanting 3G

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Even 2" of wire coming out of the cassette player is enough to tell a would be thief that there may be an iPod or other MP3 player in your TL. I prefer the adapters that go into the back of the radio since the wires can be completely hidden.

That's the same reason I don't like the custom iPod mounts that sit off to the right of the radio. They just advertise that there could be an iPod in the car.
i hear what your saying but my windows are tinted and i really dont think you can see the black cord against the black radio. plus i live on a military installation so crime isnt a real issue.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 9932
i hear what your saying but my windows are tinted and i really dont think you can see the black cord against the black radio. plus i live on a military installation so crime isnt a real issue.
Roger that. I'd say you're good to go.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 PM
10th Gear

need to find a slick method like this one - http://donn.dyndns.org/projects/carstereoinput

let me know if anyone is willing to take the challenge....
Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 AM
02 TL Type-S

I have Blitzsafe installed but with iPhone 4, I get a message on the iPhone that the accessory isn't compatible, even through it lets me play songs and does charge the iPhone, the only problem I have is if I turn the car off and on again with the iPhone connected, the iPhone restarts.

Anyone knows if there are any other iPhone 4 compatible adapters that hook up at the back like the Blitzsafe?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by digitalextremes
I have Blitzsafe installed but with iPhone 4, I get a message on the iPhone that the accessory isn't compatible, even through it lets me play songs and does charge the iPhone, the only problem I have is if I turn the car off and on again with the iPhone connected, the iPhone restarts.

Anyone knows if there are any other iPhone 4 compatible adapters that hook up at the back like the Blitzsafe?
Bump. I just bought a clean '99 TL 3.2 and want good iPhone/iPod integration, preferably with steering wheel controls of playlists, song selections. I have an iPod 4th gen 20gb but also an iPhone 4 and will have an iPhone 5 later this year. What the solution for future on these old cars?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
USA spec iPod interface. I have one in my 01 TL. I stream pandora, have steering wheel controls, and the quality is good. Far better than a tape adapter. The install was simple. Theres a YouTube video showing how to remove the radio then you simply plug the interface into the rear of the deck and reassemble. There's plenty of cable length to be able to mount it where you'd like. Personally I routed it through the center console and have it stashed away in the storage there. That way if I use iPhone I pull the cable through the small opening by the Cupholder and if you want to connect iPod you can pull the cable inside and have everything out of sight and appear bone stock.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I didn't need to remove the stereo to install the blitzsafe in my '00 TL; all you need to do is remove the black panel on the side of the console against the passenger seat. Then, you can plug into the CD changer jack in the rear of the stereo. I did a lot of thinking where to bring to cable out and decided against coming up from within the console. I instead ran it against the inside of that panel I removed and just dropped it down at some point with all the slack between the passenger seat and the console. This way, it reaches into the back seat of the car easily so than passengers can charge and hook up too; wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Repeat Offender

I used a straight connection using the bliztsafe in my 99. What surprised me was that I didn't have to remove the stereo, even with these big hands of mine. I did like Severin said and looped it into the console so that I can close the doors and keep it hidden when I'm not in the car. It's worked out flawlessly for me so far.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another option is the grom interface. I just installed one in my 02 TL-s non-navi a couple weeks ago. I can charge and control my ipod/iphone through the stock headunit also. The steering wheel controls I'm not sure about since the controls on my steering wheel never worked when I bought the car used. I'm guessing if I can control through the headunit, you should also be able to control it with the steering wheel controls.

Installation is simple and I'm assuming the same as all the other interfaces. The car specific adapter goes behind the headunit. The interface has the option of having aux cable or ipod cable also.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i would like to go away from cassette adapters but other integrations are quite expensive. compared to a coby adapter that costed me 7 bucks and has been working for last 2 years (knock on wood), why spend more than 100 bucks

there is loss in quality, but i can live with that. if there is a cheaper connector available, as someone said 19.95 in 2008, i would love to use that!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hey so which iSimple have you guys gotten to work with an 03 TL non-navi and an iphone 4/4s? Searching all around, it seems like ISAS71 should work but I would like some confirmation before I order it...