If your rear view mirror no longer dims, read this thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just dont send it back. i got my replacement and they never asked for mine back...i have a '00. is your friend's TL a '02-'03? if so, maybe they want the Onstar mirrors back.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old mirror came off fairly easy and the new one went one smooth. Have to agree with kennelm in that it wedges itself into the soft metal button that's glued to the windshield. There's no click so I don't think the tab locks into anything. Helm's manual also supports this 'cause it tells you to tap lightly with a plastic hammer.

BTW-Magna Donnelly didn't ask for my old one back either. Wonder why they want some back and not others?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:45 PM
WDP Is Faster

My friend e-mailed them yesterday night..and got the reply today. He has a 2002 TL-S....for the people who e-mailed them yesterday (if any)...did you guys get a request for you to send it back? Oh man..ahha what have i gotten my friend into lol.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Maybe they only want the bad OnStar mirrors returned?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by reloaded
My friend e-mailed them yesterday night..and got the reply today. He has a 2002 TL-S....for the people who e-mailed them yesterday (if any)...did you guys get a request for you to send it back? Oh man..ahha what have i gotten my friend into lol.

They told me I dont need to send it back. Mine's an '00.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

All I said was that my dimer didn't work. and nothng more.

He told them that it just doesn't work anymore....just like everyone else on this forum.

Right now..he's just thinking about not accepting the shipment..You guys think that'll work for him? Damn man..he gave them all his info..e-mail..address.and phone number...
Old 11-05-2004, 03:38 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys...I just got my mirror in the mail. Now its time for me to go fight with it. I will let you know how it turns out Oh and mines an 00 and they didn't ask me to ship mine back. I just told them it was defective and didn't dim and was leaking the fluid.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:10 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I did it ! I tried the clip thing and the hammering down thing and none of that worked until I took a thin screwdriver and CAREFULLY pried around the edges of the plastic where it meets the windshield and the mirror came flying off in my hand. It could have been a mixture of all of these things, but what matters is I got it off in 5 minutes. The hard part was putting it back together b/c one of the screws wouldn't go in and it took me forever to get this one screw back. Thanks hzm82 for the DIY and good luck to the rest of you guys!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Adult Supervision

On the CL side, Jens wrote this instruction set for removing the mirror. I am not sure if this is the same for the TL's but here it is anyways:

"This requires a bit of finesse ,start by opening the sunglass holder .You will see two screws remove them .Next using a small screwdriver pop out the plastic lenses in the overhead light .There are two more screws remove those as well .The overhead console will now drop down .Unplug it and set it aside .You will now see a small electrical connector that has wiring going to the rear view mirror .Unplug this at this time .Next you need to pry of the small plastic cover on the foot of the mirror where it is attached to the winshield .Now you will need a long thin punch and a small hammer (yes I am serious) .You need to place the long thin punch on the now exposed part of the mirror foot ,there is a notch there that you can use for this .You can also use a long flat blade screwdriver for this .Now using the hammer and the punch (or screwdriver) you have to tap the mirror so that it slides off the base on the glass .You must tap the mirror forward (towards front of the car) .The mirror will eventually slide of it's base on the glass .Once it pops of the base you can thread the wiring out from behind the headliner and it is out .Reassmebli is the the reverse of what you just went through to get it out except obviously you must tap the foot of the mirror towards the rear of the car using the punch (or screwdriver) .Use a lot of caution to do this I don't need to tell you that a mistake here will cost you a windshield. It does not take large amounts of force to do this it just requires a bit of finesse and some patience."

Jens
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeS 18
On the CL side, Jens wrote this instruction set for removing the mirror. I am not sure if this is the same for the TL's but here it is anyways:

"This requires a bit of finesse ,start by opening the sunglass holder .You will see two screws remove them .Next using a small screwdriver pop out the plastic lenses in the overhead light .There are two more screws remove those as well .The overhead console will now drop down .Unplug it and set it aside .You will now see a small electrical connector that has wiring going to the rear view mirror .Unplug this at this time .Next you need to pry of the small plastic cover on the foot of the mirror where it is attached to the winshield .Now you will need a long thin punch and a small hammer (yes I am serious) .You need to place the long thin punch on the now exposed part of the mirror foot ,there is a notch there that you can use for this .You can also use a long flat blade screwdriver for this .Now using the hammer and the punch (or screwdriver) you have to tap the mirror so that it slides off the base on the glass .You must tap the mirror forward (towards front of the car) .The mirror will eventually slide of it's base on the glass .Once it pops of the base you can thread the wiring out from behind the headliner and it is out .Reassmebli is the the reverse of what you just went through to get it out except obviously you must tap the foot of the mirror towards the rear of the car using the punch (or screwdriver) .Use a lot of caution to do this I don't need to tell you that a mistake here will cost you a windshield. It does not take large amounts of force to do this it just requires a bit of finesse and some patience."

Jens
Old 11-09-2004, 01:29 PM
L33t Sk8er

info

The following information will help us in processing your request. Please
give any additional details you feel will help in the correct and prompt
replacement of your defective mirror.

1. Your name:

2. Address with zip code:

3. Email address:

4. Phone number:

5. Vehicle Make:

6. Model Year:

7. Description of your mirror problem:

8. Color of mirror housing:

9. Color of connector plug:

10. Number of wires into the plug:

11. Colors of the wires:

12. Features in addition to autodim:

13. How many pins in the back of your mirror:

14. Please email digital pictures of the mirror mounting from a side view
and a picture of the complete mounting device to the windshield.

**We do require that you send us your defective mirror for engineering
evaluation and analyzation.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lana Celmer/Jean Glover
Magna Donnelly Corporation
Old 11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 99TLKID
The following information will help us in processing your request. Please
give any additional details you feel will help in the correct and prompt
replacement of your defective mirror.

1. Your name:

2. Address with zip code:

3. Email address:

4. Phone number:

5. Vehicle Make:

6. Model Year:

7. Description of your mirror problem:

8. Color of mirror housing:

9. Color of connector plug:

10. Number of wires into the plug:

11. Colors of the wires:

12. Features in addition to autodim:

13. How many pins in the back of your mirror:

14. Please email digital pictures of the mirror mounting from a side view
and a picture of the complete mounting device to the windshield.

**We do require that you send us your defective mirror for engineering
evaluation and analyzation.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lana Celmer/Jean Glover
anyone knows the answers to questions 8 and 9? thanks
Old 11-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Racer

Sent email #2 to the contact info in the begining of this thread. Last one was sent a few weeks ago, so I thought I would try again...

How long till most of you are getting a response?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fengxDynasty
anyone knows the answers to questions 8 and 9? thanks
the housing is black and the plug is blue...however, if your mirror has Onstar, it might be different. i dont have onstar
Old 11-15-2004, 11:24 PM
WDP Is Faster

Originally Posted by dands99tl
Sent email #2 to the contact info in the begining of this thread. Last one was sent a few weeks ago, so I thought I would try again...

How long till most of you are getting a response?
Dunno man..You should've recieved an e-mail the day after you sent it...they were pretty good about it before..dunno why you aren't recieving it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLover8888
the housing is black and the plug is blue...however, if your mirror has Onstar, it might be different. i dont have onstar

thanks man
Old 11-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Racer

Dunno man..You should've recieved an e-mail the day after you sent it...they were pretty good about it before..dunno why you aren't recieving it.
That's kind of what I was I gathering from reading other people's posts. Hmmm, maybe they got sick of people getting free parts.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI...I got my mirror installed last week after requesting a new mirror before Halloween. Magna Donnelly has the best service ever!

Old 11-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Got my mirror in under a week. thats what I call service. Do they make trannys? LOL....
Old 12-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Mirror issues

Hi.

Great news... I got my new autodimming mirror today.

Bad news.... in the process of taking the old one out, somehow or another the whole mirror (mount and all) came off the windshield.

If I go to the autoparts store and buy some of that rear view mirror adhesive, will it be strong enough to hold the mirror?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 12-13-2004, 02:42 PM
L33t Sk8er

I am not sure on that one man......I would possibly consider going to the dealer on this one............My mirror is on the way........I filled out the form and sent her pics and she e-mailed me back saying its on the way........This a sweet deal....
Old 12-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

just installed mine also.. got it in a few days =) ... she said i have to send it back but what will they say if i dont?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:40 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

just installed mine also.. got it in a few days =) ... she said i have to send back the old one but what will they say if i dont?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

miens being replaced as i type this
Old 12-13-2004, 04:48 PM
WDP Is Faster

Originally Posted by GOTTSPD
Hi.

Great news... I got my new autodimming mirror today.

Bad news.... in the process of taking the old one out, somehow or another the whole mirror (mount and all) came off the windshield.

If I go to the autoparts store and buy some of that rear view mirror adhesive, will it be strong enough to hold the mirror?

Thanks,
Michael
Damn..i'm suprised they're still giving these out! ahha. Well..yea..dunno how to help you man..I'm just suprised this came back alive from the dead all thanks to you haha.

Pimpravi- I sent an e-mail for my bro and he got his. She told him to send it back..I never sent back the mirror to her..and I haven't heard from her still.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I haven't really noticed whether my mirrors dim the headlights anymore since the tint was installed...

With 20% tint, should I be able to notice the headlights dimming, or is the tint dark enough that the mirror doesn't bother dimming them?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeekiM
I haven't really noticed whether my mirrors dim the headlights anymore since the tint was installed...

With 20% tint, should I be able to notice the headlights dimming, or is the tint dark enough that the mirror doesn't bother dimming them?
Just grab a flashlight and shine it in there and you'll know if it's working correctly or not. It should dim noticeably from what I've heard. (mine doesn't work, getting it replaced)
Old 12-15-2004, 02:26 PM
L33t Sk8er

Got my new mirror today.....man that was fast......I told them I appreciate their great customer service and that I am sure that all you other TL's appreciate it as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Magna Donnelly has a new form to fill out which includes your VIN number, requirement to return the old unit back, and a disclaimer for giving false information to receive an upgraded part.

I installed my new mirror yesterday without any problems. Note by tapping on the top side of the bracket, the mirror came right off. While comparing the new mirror with the old mirror, the old mirror appeared to be in dim mode all the time.

I will send my old mirror back, I don't see any reason to ignore Magna Donnelly's request expecially since I received the new mirror 2 days later and the fact that they stand behind their products.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
L33t Sk8er

can someone pm me the diy......I can get it to load
Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

I just got a response to my email about the mirror and this is what they said. Did anyone else send back their old mirror. My mirror isn't really broken, I just wanted to keep it so when it does go bad I will have one.

Michael;

Your mirror is on its way. Please refer to Warranty Claim # O1538355L and
return defective mirror to:

Attn: Jean Glover
3575 128th Ave
Holland MI 49424

Regards,

Lana Celmer
Old 01-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Are you kidding?

I hope you are not serious.

What you've just asked is whether its okay for you to steal from Magna Donnelly. That's outrageous. They may be one of the only companies out there that truly stands behind its products and you want to steal from them. I can't believe you'd lie to them by telling them you have a defective mirror when you don't. Moreover, it's somewhat unreal that you would confess that in a public forum.

Originally Posted by acurarida99
I just got a response to my email about the mirror and this is what they said. Did anyone else send back their old mirror. My mirror isn't really broken, I just wanted to keep it so when it does go bad I will have one.

Michael;

3575 128th Ave
Holland MI 49424

Regards,

Lana Celmer
Old 01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro

that is some funny $hit
Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by acurarida99

Michael;

3575 128th Ave
Holland MI 49424

Regards,

Lana Celmer
Wow, that's low.

All it takes is one honest soul to link them to this page which contains your claim #O1538355L and you have no mirror.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GOTTSPD
I hope you are not serious.

What you've just asked is whether its okay for you to steal from Magna Donnelly. That's outrageous. They may be one of the only companies out there that truly stands behind its products and you want to steal from them. I can't believe you'd lie to them by telling them you have a defective mirror when you don't. Moreover, it's somewhat unreal that you would confess that in a public forum.

please, dont preach your "high and mighty" attitude here...i'm sure you havent lived your life like a saint.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 PM
trill recognize trill

HAHA this is sad
Old 01-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

I hope they don't stop doing this because of dirtbags like him, if my mirror goes out I'd like to have this option available.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Advanced

I emailed Magna Donnelly and they sent me a mirror in less than a week. Installed it in less than 10 minutes, and they didn't ask me to return my old mirror!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Regarding the mirror test..I believe the is a photo-sensor in the front of the mirror as well to determine if it is night or day, in the day, the auto dim doesn't dim (or shouldn't anyway. Be sure to hold your finger over the front sensor when you shine the flashlight in the rear sensor to check for the auto-dim function.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
4th Gear

look...the way I see it is this. I have read all these posts about the rearview mirror dying. Obviously mine is going to die as welll. I think it is getting carried away to say I am stealing from the company. For all I know I am not even sure if works properly or not. It seems like it doesn't work like it used to. If they asked for the mirror back, then I guess I will just replace. I am new to this forum, and I really think all of the negative comments about me were uncalled for.

Quick Reply: If your rear view mirror no longer dims, read this thread.