How to do Fiberglass Work

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
How to do Fiberglass Work

Anyone know of a good website with links or information on how to start working with fiberglass?

I am talking BASIC starting. I have never done it before.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 06:50 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought you started working on this already?? what happened??
Old 07-29-2004, 06:51 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask HQuakers, I think he was getting started into this...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...iberglass+work
Old 07-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Anyone know of a good website with links or information on how to start working with fiberglass?

I am talking BASIC starting. I have never done it before.

Thanks
Most people I know that work with Fiberglass had some sort of formal training/certification.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just do a lot of searching on Google for how to work w/ fiberglass. I'm sure they have books on the subject too. Its simple in theory...lay strips of cloth (fiberglass) which are soaked in resin, lay it up in the shape you need it, it gets hard...viola! Just like the paper mache (sp?) that you did back in grade school.

The tricks of fiberglassing (besides the ability to set it right, mix the resin properly, etc...) is really in the creation of the mold or form that you need the fiberglass to take shape of. There are many tricks of trade so to speak. Definitely start w/ smaller projects and read up alot about how to make molds or frames to enforce a shape to your fiberglassing. It can be pretty time consuming especially if you are going to finish the surface smooth (you will do so much sanding you'll be sick of it).
Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Try this forum, I see they have a section for fiberglass and bondo > www.mp3car.com
Old 07-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
what are you trying to do?

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Pro

Well I am not going to do anything myself now. I got a quote form someone to do some work for my interior dash.

I am going to do this. I have removed the stock radio and had a metra kit and Alpine unit installed.
I am having someone do the following:

Remove the pocket above the radio area. Then he is going to move the alpine about 1/2 inch from the top of the radio area. Then he is going to mount my Sirius Sat radio receiver, the Kenwood model, underneath the radio. Then once it is mounted flush, he is going to make a fiberglass plate to cover it all and match the paint. Should look great once done.

He quoted me $150 for the fiberglass, and then moving and re-mounting the radio and sat receiver.

Not too bad....I think....
Old 07-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

get in touch with me, I have actually made a full body kit nose/ass and skirts for a 95 civic. i will have to find pics and scan them. you have to make a mold from either foam or expanding caulk/sand then/ lay your glass then let dry/ sand... sand ... sand... bondo... sand bondo sand bondo sand bondo..... then primer sand bondo and primer again. its a long process but wal mart sells all the stuff you need.... email me at tendi23@hotmail.com
Old 07-31-2004, 01:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by tendi23
get in touch with me, I have actually made a full body kit nose/ass and skirts for a 95 civic. i will have to find pics and scan them. you have to make a mold from either foam or expanding caulk/sand then/ lay your glass then let dry/ sand... sand ... sand... bondo... sand bondo sand bondo sand bondo..... then primer sand bondo and primer again. its a long process but wal mart sells all the stuff you need.... email me at tendi23@hotmail.com
a flat piece of fiberglass is easy. use a piece of glass or a mirrior and lay it out on that. after its cured it will pop off smooth as glass (no pun intended) the problem with using styrofoam is the resin will eat through all styrofoam unless its intendd for that type of use (that stuff is hard to get ahold of cheap)
Old 08-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro

Well I know how to create a mold of a project like a sub box etc...but I don't understand how I would make a mold of something like a dash area? Use clay to make a mold and then hardening foam or something?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

wut stuff do u get from walmart?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Instructor

bump
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Advanced

wow...this is really interesting. i've seen a guy make a new console dash for his camry to fit in a 13" monitor and hold his dvd/cd player.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Well I know how to create a mold of a project like a sub box etc...but I don't understand how I would make a mold of something like a dash area? Use clay to make a mold and then hardening foam or something?

Thanks
I'll describe one way, but theres definitely a few ways to do it.

Say you wanted to make a panel like this (cut and paste link...change *** to www)

Thanks to the owner btw...hope you don't mind!

***.quarantinedcc.com/images/cars/Phils%20Pics/derek/dsc03415[1].jpg

First you would create 2 rails that would run up along the fake wood on both sides of the console. These rails would be flush with the fake wood trim. Probably use 1/2" thick MDF. The edge of the MDF would be facing out (I hope this makes sense). Then make a couple quick MDF cross braces to separate the 2 upright rails so the 2 rails are right against the fake wood trim of the console. Now pull this MDF frame out of the car.

Now, to make that scooped in section (where guages and blue led display is). You want to make a cutout out of MDF in the shape that you want for the front of the scooped in section. Use stretchy fabric to stretch from both side rails (leave some slack in it though). Most people use fleece since its very stretchy. Then you want to push the MDF cutout into the fleece and hold it in place with something like metal straping. Try to visualize how this is now making a 3-dimensional "dish" shape.

Now the fun part. From the back side of the frame, coat the fleece in resin. Let it dry. Then start laying down fiberglass. After a couple layers, you can remove the MDF piece that was pushing into the fleece. The fleece and fiberglass will be in the shape you want. Lay a couple layers of fiberglass on the front now to cover up the fleece. Then sand, fill holes, sand, fill holes, sand, sand, sand, fill pin holes, sand, sand, sand. You have to do a ton of sanding to get a smooth finish like the dash I linked to.

The picture that I linked to also probably used the stock tray around the shifter as part of the frame for the fiberglass. You can hack up the stock parts to serve as parts of the frame (buy spares at a junk yard).

This is just one way to do it, and I'm leaving out some details. Take time in creating the frame and fleece...the more accurate it is, the less sanding and corrective filling you'll have to do later. You also have to figure out how you will end up mounting the piece to the vehicle. Doing a dash like this one is not an easy first project btw.

I've messed around w/ fiberglass a little bit and I'm still VERY far from good at it. It takes time and practice. Read up as much info as you can.