Hit and Run Pic

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hit and Run Pic

Some mother f'er in my development hit me last night, for some reason doesn't look as bad in the pic as in person but at least there wasn't more damage. The bumper cover and the license plate appear to have been the only damaged parts. My car was actually pushed forward about 2 feet from the impact. Luckily I think I found out who it was, someone who lives or visits a couple of buildings away. My GF saw some damage to the front corner of a burgandy camaro when she came home from work today, but as I got home they were leaving and I didnt' get chance to take a peek. She had called the cops to come and look at the other car but they never came around and finally called back an hour and a half later. A little too late....

I gave the license plate number to the cop on the phone and he told me it's registered to a Honda Accord. Luckily there was a couple of small burgandy color pieces from the car that hit me on the ground under the Acura, so as long as they match up to the camaro, hopefully they'll be charged with something such as hit and run, probably no tags, no insurance, no registration. Chances are I'll have to pay for the damage myself since the fuckers probably don't have insurance or means to pay.

Now I have to wake my ass up very early in the early morning to see if the bastards come back, if so I'll call the cops again and take a few pics of their car. I do have a feeling that if they saw my GF checking out the Camaro, they might not be back for a while or may try to fix it before they bring it back to the neighborhood.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:33 PM
The wood god

if it was them and they dont have insurance i think they have to pay you money, like the money they pay in taxes goes to you, although the scenario might be different someone hit a friend of mine and totalled his car and they didnt have insurance so the money from there taxes goes to him
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaKillTron
if it was them and they dont have insurance i think they have to pay you money, like the money they pay in taxes goes to you, although the scenario might be different someone hit a friend of mine and totalled his car and they didnt have insurance so the money from there taxes goes to him
THe way it works is they garnish his wages, or take a set amount of money out of his paycheck to pay you back, after his living expenses are taken out. Of course this is obviously worthless as if they can't afford insurance, they usually can't afford to pay for the damages.

Sorry to hear about your car docrob
Old 07-15-2005, 08:04 PM
The wood god

alrite thnx for clearing that up for me and thnx for clearing that up
Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in SC (the armpit of the south) , there's an ancient law that deliberately remains on the books that basically says that if I smash into your car, you can have a lien placed on MY car that supercedes any and all other liens--including my bank's--until I rectify the situation. This is from the pre-mandatory insurance years. It takes an attorney to file and a judge to issue judgement, but maybe your state has something like that. I learned this after being rear ended by a non-insured, fortunately it never came to that (my damage wasnt as bad as yours either).
Sorry to hear about your predicament, good luck with a resolution.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

deyummm, that car must have been low to really get into your plate like that. that thing is bent to all hell. GOOD LUCK MAN!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Sorry to here about you getting hit. You're not alone, I just got hit tonight myself. Hope you get that bastard for a hit and run. Well Here's my story if your interested.

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/afghanistan-boosts-position-worlds-largest-opium-producer-119302/
Old 07-16-2005, 12:43 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try living in brooklyn ...my bumper is 100 times worse than yours just from people bumping me while parking
Old 07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
blACk AC in sAC

man that sux. hope all ends well
Old 07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Here's the car that hit me. Cops came out today to take a look at it and now I have to wait till the officer handling my case gets the info. I was told that they tried to find the owner, but no one answered the door where they're at. I don't know the laws exactly here in NJ but I wonder what it takes to have their car impounded? Hit and run, leaving the scene, maybe stolen tags???? Anyway the car is still parked there and now I'm just waiting.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:38 PM
blACk AC in sAC

car's just sittin there and you're just takin pics? if they hit my TL, that camaro would no longer be recognized by the owner.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ***EL*MAFIOSO***
car's just sittin there and you're just takin pics? if they hit my TL, that camaro would no longer be recognized by the owner.
Wouldn't be worth me expending my energy and the resulting problems that would cause. Plus, I'm sure he'd then retaliate on my other 2 vehicles

Anyway, he came by today and wants to keep everything out of the courts. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get anything out of him anyway, claims he's unemployed, no money, but the fact is he hit and ran. He claims he didn't realize that he hit me since it was 4 a.m. and he was tired...in other words, he probably was drinking and probably half baked on top of it. Also claimed that the large crack was already there from his girlfriend driving the car.... sure it was....

He did clean it up for me and it looks alot better, but the paint is chipped and some small scrapes into the plastic of the bumper. He said he'd buy some touch up paint and fill in the scratches but then comes back about 6:45 and tells me Advance Auto Parts is closed, said he called, and he can't get the paint. This is total BS since Advance is open until 9:00 pm tonight. I know I've been there late on a Saturday before and called to make sure. So now you're gonna lie to my face and want me to keep it out of the courts?

So I guess on Monday I'll get a few estimates and I'm sure they'll be at least a few hundred bucks. Maybe he can't pay me for the damages, but if he gets a few tickets out of it, he'll have to pay even more than he would if he would've just come up with the money for me to have it properly repaired.

Anyway, here's what it looks like now.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:09 PM
blACk AC in sAC

ouch. f*** that punk, report it.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Yes it is!

Ouch, screw that. No way would I have some goon put touch-up paint on my bumper that he destroyed. It wasn't your fault, so your bumper needs to be fixed by a pro to original appearence. Time to call a lawyer.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the guy is unemployed and doesn't have any money what's a lawyer gonna do for you 'cept take your money? Get an estimate from your favorite body shop, show him the estimate. Ask for cash or you call the cops.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
happened to me as well - F#@k being nice - get the insurance and cops involved otherwise = a lot of BS and headaches - and a big pain in the ASS. the flipside you are near each other - he could get drunk again and mess with you, either the cars or with you.

Cheap ass bastards!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Bareback
happened to me as well - F#@k being nice - get the insurance and cops involved otherwise = a lot of BS and headaches - and a big pain in the ASS. the flipside you are near each other - he could get drunk again and mess with you, either the cars or with you.

Cheap ass bastards!
That's when he goes to jail.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Cops are already involved, police report was filed the morning of the damage, before I found out who it was that hit me. There's definitely no way a little touch up paint is gonna make it look like it never happened. I figured I'd humor him and see what happens. At least maybe it'll look better temporarily till it gets fixed properly. I'm going to get a few estimates tomorrow. He did mention that he did have insurance, but only liability, but from my research, every policy in NJ has minimum $5,000 property damage liability. From what I remember my GF was hit from behind a couple of years ago, had about a 1cm chip out of the bumper and that was paid for by the woman's insurance that hit her to the tune of $267.

I'll have to find out from the cops if they got all his info yet, because if he does have insurance it will be paying to fix my car properly.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Advanced

First estimate today from the local Acura dealership body shop:

$774.87!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Advanced

Interesting. Here in PA when I thought a person backed into my car I called the police to report it. They came, saw the dent on my fender and the first thing they said was "Did you see the driver back into your car." I said no, and the cop said there is nothing he could do about it if no one witnessed it. Kind of surprised your cops would act on it.

Turned out my car was moving while parked on a slight incline with no parking brakes on.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Monty's Acura
Interesting. Here in PA when I thought a person backed into my car I called the police to report it. They came, saw the dent on my fender and the first thing they said was "Did you see the driver back into your car." I said no, and the cop said there is nothing he could do about it if no one witnessed it. Kind of surprised your cops would act on it.

Turned out my car was moving while parked on a slight incline with no parking brakes on.
Fortunately for me, the guy that hit me left behind a few small pieces which matched up perfectly to his car's color and shape of his missing body pieces. When my girlfriend first saw the car that she thought had hit me, she called the cops and whoever she spoke to basically told her that there was no way to prove it was the camaro, but after telling them that the officer that initially responded to the call had collected evidence left on the ground under my car, they changed their tone.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by docrob
but after telling them that the officer that initially responded to the call had collected evidence left on the ground under my car, they changed their tone.
They changed their tone after they were given all the information.