Gutter Grill

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002 | 06:22 PM
Instructor

Gutter Grill

Wussup guys. I was wondering if any of you would wanna make me a gutter grill for my TL and install it. I would do it but my dad does not trust me whatsoever maybe cause I am only 17. But I think if he saw someone who had a gutter grill and installed it himself then he would trust that person to do it for me. I live in Northern Virginia so let me know if anyone is interested. We can talk about the price of all this later. Thanks .
Old 01-19-2002 | 08:32 PM
Peach Tea

Re: Gutter Grill

Originally posted by stevenyi
Wussup guys. I was wondering if any of you would wanna make me a gutter grill for my TL and install it. I would do it but my dad does not trust me whatsoever maybe cause I am only 17. But I think if he saw someone who had a gutter grill and installed it himself then he would trust that person to do it for me. I live in Northern Virginia so let me know if anyone is interested. We can talk about the price of all this later. Thanks .
this is a VERY simple mod, my dad and I did it in like 20-30 minutes. i would install it if you came waay down here to south VA if you dont want to, i can make one, send it to you, and you can install it yourself. let me know. here is a pic of mine:

i see you have AEM intake, i want that but i dont know how to hook it up. if you help me with that i will hook you up with the grill
Old 01-19-2002 | 10:50 PM
Instructor

Grow some balls and do it yourself anyways. When I was 16 my dad said that I cant do this and that to my car, but I just did it anyways, and when he saw it he loved the rimes, tint, grill...
Old 01-20-2002 | 12:38 AM
Instructor

whoa we got some funny people in this forum. Rory you are hilarious. Grow some balls? Funny stuff man. Keep em coming. Sorry, I actually like to listen to my parents and since they are the ones paying for the car I think that is a better reason for me to listen to them. I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked if you could help me and obviously you can't. Thanks anyways
Old 01-20-2002 | 02:14 PM
Safety Car

whoa we got some funny people in this forum. Rory you are hilarious. Grow some balls? Funny stuff man. Keep em coming. Sorry, I actually like to listen to my parents and since they are the ones paying for the car I think that is a better reason for me to listen to them. I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked if you could help me and obviously you can't. Thanks anyways
It's a simple mod, hell, I could do it....
I agree with Rory....

Hey... if ya wanna mod it then buy it -- or buy your own car instead of taking everything from mommy & daddy,
Old 01-20-2002 | 02:16 PM
Safety Car

BTW... Welcome to the forum

If u check out the FAQ section u'll see instructions for the Grille...

You can't screw anything up, even if u mess up the gutter stuff, u can't mess up the grille & can always return it to stock at any time. So show ur dad the instructions and tell him not to sweat the petty stuff (and don't pet the sweaty stuff )
Old 01-20-2002 | 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Some of us don't trust our own handiworks guys....some prefer to have professionals do it..and not screw up any part of the car...
I agree on someone lending him a hand

city
Old 01-20-2002 | 05:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's a simple job, but it's hella time consuming to get things right. If you mess up, you gotta do it again. Not to mention, working with metal is a pain in the ass! I took it out b/c the stock grill looks cleaner and more elegant.
Old 01-20-2002 | 06:52 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: Gutter Grill

Originally posted by badazzTL

this is a VERY simple mod, my dad and I did it in like 20-30 minutes. i would install it if you came waay down here to south VA if you dont want to, i can make one, send it to you, and you can install it yourself. let me know. here is a pic of mine:

i see you have AEM intake, i want that but i dont know how to hook it up. if you help me with that i will hook you up with the grill
can u post a close up pic??
it looks wavey in that one... is it smooth in actuality?
Old 01-20-2002 | 07:25 PM
Peach Tea

Re: Re: Re: Gutter Grill

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9

can u post a close up pic??
it looks wavey in that one... is it smooth in actuality?
yes it is smooth, i guess it was just the pic. here are some closeups:

i know it is dirty, it rained the whole day yesterday, i will wash and wax tomorrow
Old 01-20-2002 | 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's another thing I don't like about the grill. It only looks good up close. From distances greater than 5 feet, it looks like crap.
Old 01-20-2002 | 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

what I wanna do is get some chromed...that would be tha $hit...my guess is that it would work very nicely and shouldnt cost that much to get done...i have some in my lower grill behind those cris cross things...it does look great from close up, but from far away it looks dark gray and old...im thinking about either painting that piece of gutter guard black, or look into getting it chrome dipped...Shyne
Old 01-20-2002 | 10:41 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by Shyne
what I wanna do is get some chromed...that would be tha $hit...my guess is that it would work very nicely and shouldnt cost that much to get done...i have some in my lower grill behind those cris cross things...it does look great from close up, but from far away it looks dark gray and old...im thinking about either painting that piece of gutter guard black, or look into getting it chrome dipped...Shyne
just get some chrome spray paint. dont forget pics
Old 01-20-2002 | 11:02 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

dude try it yourself its real easy, if you lived in NY i would take care of you, but its easy.
Old 01-20-2002 | 11:18 PM
Safety Car

just get some chrome spray paint. dont forget pics
Chrome spray paint just ends up being silver
Old 01-20-2002 | 11:20 PM
Peach Tea

Chrome spray paint just ends up being silver
o i c
Old 01-20-2002 | 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Actually... I wonder what it would look like if u sprayed the gutter stuff the same color as ur car????
hmmmmmmm
i.e. fp red.... i gotta try and PS it
Old 01-20-2002 | 11:48 PM
Safety Car

Actually... I wonder what it would look like if u sprayed the gutter stuff the same color as ur car????
hmmmmmmm
i.e. fp red.... i gotta try and PS it
ok here's a bad job... its hard to turn silver/chrome into firepepper red.... so im not sure i can use this as a conclusive would look good or not
Old 01-21-2002 | 03:58 AM
Banned

TommyBoiSxty9:
That doesn't look too terribly bad...I'm thinking of making a gutter grill...but damn...when you guys say gutter grille...it IS a friggin gutter. Wouldn't it look nicer to get a nicer mesh? Oh, and I think when I do it I'm going to marble mine

badazzTL:
"i see you have AEM intake, i want that but i dont know how to hook it up. if you help me with that i will hook you up with the grill"

You're kidding? You made a gutter grille but don't know how to install the AEM CAI...oh man I can tell you real quick. I did mine sans instructions. You take your airbox and resonator out (boxes on the far right looking into the hood). Once you get those out unscrew the old one...unhook the hoses and detach them...hook the new hoses in, feed the CAI down the airbox hole, hook it up to the engine, hook up the new hoses. Then open the flap underneath the bumper and install the filter. Boom, done...20 min job for me, and that included adding/sawing the tube for the bypass valve . Go make me a gutter grille and fly me out there, and I'll do it for ya!!!

Austin519
Old 01-21-2002 | 09:15 AM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by Austin519

You're kidding? You made a gutter grille but don't know how to install the AEM CAI...oh man I can tell you real quick. I did mine sans instructions. You take your airbox and resonator out (boxes on the far right looking into the hood). Once you get those out unscrew the old one...unhook the hoses and detach them...hook the new hoses in, feed the CAI down the airbox hole, hook it up to the engine, hook up the new hoses. Then open the flap underneath the bumper and install the filter. Boom, done...20 min job for me, and that included adding/sawing the tube for the bypass valve . Go make me a gutter grille and fly me out there, and I'll do it for ya!!!

Austin519
so you're saying that it is easier to install CAI than it is to make the grill i have no idea how to do it, and have no experience with hooking up anything like that. the grill was 100 times easier than CAI im sure
Old 01-21-2002 | 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

so you're saying that it is easier to install CAI than it is to make the grill i have no idea how to do it, and have no experience with hooking up anything like that. the grill was 100 times easier than CAI im sure
The CAI is so much easier to install because you're just plugging things in. The grill, you gotta take time to measure out and cut and all that shlt.
Old 01-21-2002 | 06:09 PM
Banned

liutang:
Exactly. badazzTL...all you are doing is unscrewing two things, unhooking two tubes, hooking them back up, plugging it up to the throttle body, and plugging up the filter. No cutting, no nothing, easy as pie.

Austin519
Old 01-21-2002 | 08:34 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by Austin519
liutang:
Exactly. badazzTL...all you are doing is unscrewing two things, unhooking two tubes, hooking them back up, plugging it up to the throttle body, and plugging up the filter. No cutting, no nothing, easy as pie.

Austin519
i want to thank you guys for giving me confidence now when i hook up my intake i wont fear blowing anything up
Old 01-21-2002 | 09:17 PM
Safety Car

ok here's a bad job... its hard to turn silver/chrome into firepepper red.... so im not sure i can use this as a conclusive would look good or not

TTT whatdya think? (see page 1)