Got my windows tinted...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 08:20 AM
All Hail the Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my windows tinted...

I got my tint done yesterday, 35% smoked all around. I chickened out on the 20%, didn't want to get hassled by the 5-0.

Anyways, for those of you who are getting it done but have some concerns, this is what I can add:

1) the back was done in one piece *and he didn't have to take the rear window out!
2) the tint looks fine over the dot matrix
3) my Navi and radio reception have NOT been affected!:p
Old 04-27-2002, 09:40 AM
Peach Tea

Re: Got my windows tinted...

Originally posted by JPritch
tight! we're gonna have to come check it out for sure

Old 04-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAn you take pics? What tint color and brand did you get? Thanks. Please post pics with closeups of the Dot matrix if you can't just send them to me at RWTGET@AOL.COM
Old 04-27-2002, 10:11 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

3) my Navi and radio reception have NOT been affected!
Isn't that suppose to be normal??
Old 04-27-2002, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

I got my tint done yesterday, 35% smoked all around. I chickened out on the 20%, didn't want to get hassled by the 5-0.

Anyways, for those of you who are getting it done but have some concerns, this is what I can add:

1) the back was done in one piece *and he didn't have to take the rear window out!
2) the tint looks fine over the dot matrix
3) my Navi and radio reception have NOT been affected!:p
I just had mine done too, but put the 15% on the rear window. The 35% on the sides are excellent. Also, I have no problems with reception. The guy who did the tinting said he has never seen a problem with the TLs reception after the tinting was installed.Must look great!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Re: Got my windows tinted...

Originally posted by BLEXV6

I just had mine done too, but put the 15% on the rear window. The 35% on the sides are excellent. Also, I have no problems with reception. The guy who did the tinting said he has never seen a problem with the TLs reception after the tinting was installed.Must look great!
BTW, there is no hope in hell I would ley anybody remove my rear window for tinting. If it was required, I would not tint.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I got my tint done yesterday, 35% smoked all around.
Where did you get it done and how much? I'll have to check it out before I get mine done...which will hopefully be real soon
Old 04-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by johnnyb_s

Where did you get it done and how much? I'll have to check it out before I get mine done...which will hopefully be real soon
He got it done at the place I told you guys about. Im gonna do mine pretty soon also
Old 04-27-2002, 01:58 PM
All Hail the Chief

CAn you take pics? What tint color and brand did you get? Thanks. Please post pics with closeups of the Dot matrix if you can't just send them to me at RWTGET@AOL.COM
Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera. I got SunGuard brand 35% smoked. If you want to see 35% on a black TL, check out a recent thread I think in the TLS forum about cleared headlights. SuperChargedTLS has a black '02 TLS with 35% all around and he posted pics of his car in that thread.

Isn't that suppose to be normal??
Songoku, actually there has been this long standing debate on the effects of tint, and specifically metallic tint, on Navi and radio reception. This was a common topic on the Lexus GS board as well. Some people have had problems, others haven't. Luckily, I have not been affected!

JohnnyB_S, what's up man! I've been meaning to get in contact with you, but I don't have your email address here at home. I've been on vacation all week! :p I got it done at Willie's for $151 after taxes, and I tipped him an additional $20 for still taking me after I showed up for my appointment 30 minutes late and he had already called another customer to come by in place of me. He made them wait!

Next gathering will be at Pritch's crib in Chesapeake allright. We can check out this tight Wing joint down the street for some grub.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

JPritch...how do you like your car with the tints so far? My baby is in the shop right now being tinted..should have it back w/in 2 hours. Can't wait to see how the tints look. By the way, I have a '02 TLS, SSM...getting 35% all around.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey all, I just got my SSM 99 TL w/ navi tinted the other day. The guy I go to is the greatest in the tri-state area. I have been going to him for years. All of my cars. He did the back window in one piece(alot of people can not do this). He also tints all the way up to the edge on door windows. I got a 35% autolux. He used some new gel over the dot matrix, it looks great! And for the navi people out there, Has not been affected one bit!. Anyone in the area wants to have their windows done, let me know. I know you will be happy with his work.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my 03 Antracited tinted last week 35% all around. I wish I would of opted for 50% on the sides, its' too dark for my taste. I don't have Navi, so no problems here. The guy did a perfect job for $189.00, and left all windows in and did not peel back the door panels either, rear glass was done in one piece.

He states he will change on the side windows for $80 to 50%, which is a good deal, but on dont want those tint monkeys beating up my car to remove tint off 6 windows. If there was one scratch on my interior from an errant razor blade, I would go nuts!!

Mike Smeezy
Old 04-28-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Greg D
Hey all, I just got my SSM 99 TL w/ navi tinted the other day. The guy I go to is the greatest in the tri-state area. I have been going to him for years. All of my cars. He did the back window in one piece(alot of people can not do this). He also tints all the way up to the edge on door windows. I got a 35% autolux. He used some new gel over the dot matrix, it looks great! And for the navi people out there, Has not been affected one bit!. Anyone in the area wants to have their windows done, let me know. I know you will be happy with his work.
What guy do you use? Does he have a shop or he does it on the side? I have gotten two of my cars tinted and they came out good but he didnt do one piece rear. I get mine done at Soundsation on Forest Ave. Let me know the guy you use and price maybe ill get my next car done by him. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
SSS I got it done by a place in Edison, NJ. Called The tint shop. No one on staten island can tint..... My guy does a great job. He has done every car I owned, with the exception of my maxima, which I had done on SI, I peeled it off a month later lol.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro

Funny my two cars came out good, and I've sent many people there and nothin but good jobs. I would like the one piece rear option though, how much do they charge?
Old 04-29-2002, 10:06 PM
...and then there was One

I recently had my front windshield tinted with 50%. It looks great, and still easy to see out of, night and day. It will keep out more heat, and protect the interior, too. Recommended.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:53 AM
All Hail the Chief

I recently had my front windshield tinted with 50%. It looks great, and still easy to see out of, night and day. It will keep out more heat, and protect the interior, too. Recommended.

Hmmmm...sounds good to me! I think my front would look tight as shiznit with it tinted! But it's illegal as a mother!

What's the lightest tint that's around...anybody??? If I could get it light enough to the point where it's barely noticeable, I would do it.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Greg D
SSS I got it done by a place in Edison, NJ. Called The tint shop. No one on staten island can tint..... My guy does a great job. He has done every car I owned, with the exception of my maxima, which I had done on SI, I peeled it off a month later lol.
Does this guy warranty against bubbling, peeling and fading ? For how long ? What do they charge for the 7 windows ?