Gosh darn bugs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Gosh darn bugs!

Anyone now how to properly clean the bug guts off the front bumper of your car? My sponge just doesnt seem to be cuttin it. Im currently using Meguire's Gold Class but I'm going to switch to zymol next becuase a comparison sayds its better. Any ideas would be great thanx!
Old 09-30-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a pressure washer :-)
Old 09-30-2001, 10:06 PM
O.G.

Carefully.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

i use A LOT OF water with some car wash detergents.........

and A LOT OF patience...... it works
Old 10-01-2001, 12:46 AM
Banned

Hey, somebody PM Wash 'n Wax. I'd like to hear his opinion on this topic. Certainly he has some expertise in this area...
Old 10-01-2001, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Go to properautocare' site, they have a sponge called the safe scrub bug and tar sponge. I picked one up and gave it a try. I open it up and you'd swear that that sucker was 80 Grit and would take the paint off too, so I tried it in an unseen area of the car first, no problem, tried it on the mirrors, no problem, used it on the hood and bumper, works great. Don't know how that thing doesn't scratch your car but it doesn't.

Works great on the windshield too.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro

After my recent back forth across the US (4400 miles) I had an Entymologist nightmare plastered to the front of my S. You could hardly tell the nose belonged to a white car.

I used the Gold Class car wash from Maguires and a wash mit. On the first pass I soaked the bumper with the soap/water mix with the wash mit. I let it sit for about two minutes and then bugs wiped right off on the next pass. I only had to work a couple of them.

Incidently, I also keep a couple layers of Gold Class Wax on the nose as a preventive measure. It might have helped.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:47 AM
No, you are a dork.

The best way to get bugs off of a car is to first hose off the front and let the water set on the area for a while as you do the wheels or the rest of the car. That softens and loosens them up and then you just go back with a little added elbow grease and wash them off. I hate those webbed sponges as they can scratch quite easily....The key is to let them soak in water or even soapy water....
Old 10-01-2001, 01:28 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

awe man, zanio all the way. Use that and the bugs just wipe off after a while Forget zymol or anything else for that matter. I used to use megiuers<sp> but used zaino once and now I refuse to use anything else.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:30 PM
Banned

Just use a little simple green that's been diluted...it works wonders...do not use it to wasah your entire car...but to remove bugs..it works..
Old 10-01-2001, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Guys use Bug & Tar Remover that is made for this job on your car.
There are quite a few found in auto stores & K-MART Walmart type stores auto sections. BLUEMAGIC makes one.
Its called Road & Tar Gel its safe for clear coat finishes.
Its used for Tree Sap, Bugs, Road Tar, Bird Droppings.
Just clean the area with it & rewax that area with whatever wax you use.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally posted by FTM-1
Guys use Bug & Tar Remover that is made for this job on your car.
There are quite a few found in auto stores & K-MART Walmart type stores auto sections. BLUEMAGIC makes one.
Its called Road & Tar Gel its safe for clear coat finishes.
Its used for Tree Sap, Bugs, Road Tar, Bird Droppings.
Just clean the area with it & rewax that area with whatever wax you use.

exactly what he said. I've cleaned off thousands of splattered bugs from my bumper with great results.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by zapata
awe man, zanio all the way. Use that and the bugs just wipe off after a while Forget zymol or anything else for that matter. I used to use megiuers<sp> but used zaino once and now I refuse to use anything else.
Agreed! The paint surfaces on my Zaino'd TL-S are so slippery that a spritz of water and a quick wipe with a cotton towel takes care of all the bugs. For really stubborn bugs I use a Dobie dishwashing sponge (that sponge with the white nylon webbing). It works great and doesn't scratch the clear coat.

Remember to wax your windshields too!
Old 10-01-2001, 02:43 PM
Instructor

AH! I didn't know you could/should wax your windsheild. I'll do that next weekend. What about the lights? I don't wax them either but should I? Also, does zaino leave those annoying white marks where you couldnt reach? Those are pretty annoying, I'm sure everyone feels my pain .
Old 10-01-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by daverman
Remember to wax your windshields too!

Be careful what you use to wax your windshield. Some waxes will streak like crazy when the wiper hits them. I did mine with the Gold Class Meguiars once. It streaked so bad I could hardly see.

IMHO, you are better off with something specifically designed for the purpose. I use Rain-X but there are others.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just had my front windshield treated with Aquapel glass treatment. This treatment will last over a year but they claim 6 months. I say a year because I had it done before in May of 2000& it was still working May of 2001.The first time it was done by Zeibart Tidy car & the guy told me it would last a year, I got it done last month at a Precision Tune place were my sisters gets work done on her Van& Buick. The guys that work there said they have had it on there cars over a year. It cost about $14.00 for them to apply it on front windshield. Its made by PPG. Industries they are auto glass makers. I told my nieghbor about it & he wanted to put some on his Dodge Caravan . He went down to the place & they were backed -up with service on cars. They then sent him to a Jiffy Lube thats sells it . I wonder if all places like that sell it. I have used RainX for over 10 yrs but it has to be reapplied after awhile.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by VipeR-ACR
AH! I didn't know you could/should wax your windsheild. I'll do that next weekend. What about the lights? I don't wax them either but should I? Also, does zaino leave those annoying white marks where you couldnt reach? Those are pretty annoying, I'm sure everyone feels my pain .
You can wax your lights too, but I don't because they make them look a little duller (can't see the reflectors as well). I use Zaino's Plastic Polish (superb for getting your lights sparkling clear), then use the Z-6 cleaner every now and then.

Z-2 does leave white stuff just like waxes do. But they're pretty easy to clean out.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by bricot
Go to properautocare' site, they have a sponge called the safe scrub bug and tar sponge. I picked one up and gave it a try. I open it up and you'd swear that that sucker was 80 Grit and would take the paint off too, so I tried it in an unseen area of the car first, no problem, tried it on the mirrors, no problem, used it on the hood and bumper, works great. Don't know how that thing doesn't scratch your car but it doesn't.

Works great on the windshield too.
bricot:

I just ordered mine this morning. Since you tried already... I can use it on my hood without any scratch, right?!

Just wanna make sure it will be OK before I use it; especially on the hood!!
Old 12-04-2001, 06:08 AM
Banned

daverman:
A Dobie sponge looks like it'd scratch the crap out of our cars! Are you sure?

Also...
"Just use a little simple green that's been diluted...it works wonders...do not use it to wasah your entire car...but to remove bugs..it works.."

I have to agree...down in the solar car shop, we use Simple Green for everything...cleaning refrigerators...degreasing just about everything....cleaning the floor...and then you take a very diluted (like 1:15-1:20) and you spray it on...let it sit for 5 minutes, and the bugs just drip off. Takes off the Rain-X residue too. And will strip all the wax off your car in one spray in full concentrated form...good stuff...won't eat the paint.

If you're really adventurous...I've seen one that supposedly has bacteria in it that eat the bugs and die...or anything organic for that matter...friend said it worked like a charm...but well...

Austin519
Old 12-04-2001, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by kchao2000

bricot:

I just ordered mine this morning. Since you tried already... I can use it on my hood without any scratch, right?!

Just wanna make sure it will be OK before I use it; especially on the hood!!
Yep, I have used it a number of times and if it scratched, I'd see it on my NBP. It's a cool sponge, tell me your reaction when you get it (see if you think it feels coarse).
Old 12-04-2001, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

so, how do u keep swirl marks off???