First Time Going to Dealership. Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Going to Dealership. Any Advice?

I got a coupon for a minor service for $59.95. Basic stuff, oil and filter change, comprehensive inspection, AC inspection, Car Wash, Rotate Tires. Nothing special, but it will establish a relationship with the dealership so my first visit to them won't be asking for a FREE transmission. I figure they may frown upon that. This way, if my tranny goes, I'll at least have some history with them.

I'm thinking of asking them to look at the transmission while I'm there. Maybe just borescope it? I've looked at the Transmission and it still as the ATF bolt on the top (I don't see an oil jet kit installed). Weird thing is that on the My Acura website, it says the oil jet kit recall was completed. So, I'm wondering if this is NOT the original transmission. I got the car about a year ago, 10,000 miles ago. It's at 78,000 miles now. Extended Warranty just expired 6 days ago. The transmission may be fine, it just acts a little funny sometimes.

Since I know you're gonna ask what I mean by " a little funny" .. . .If I accelerate from a stop up to about 25-28 mph and then take my foot off the accelerator it usually feels like the car is engine breaking. It feels like the car SHOULD be shifting into a higher gear but is staying in the lower gear. I know a guy with a Honda Odyssey that does the same thing at the same speeds. ALSO, sometimes the car seems to stutter. I guess this my be gears slipping? But THAT'S extremely rare. I checked the transmission fluid. Nice and pink. Doesn't look dirty at all. <---THAT'S actually kind of a red flag to me. Shouldn't it be at least a little dirty? Smelled it. Doesn't smell burned at all. I just want a pro to look at it and tell me if it's okay or not.

Are they gonna charge me to borescope the transmission?

Should I have them drive it around and try to create problems? How much would that cost?

I'm only a few days out of warranty and well under the 109,000 mile limit. If I need a replacement, should I still expect it to be free? Should I expect to pay 10%? 20%?

It's Goodson Acura in Dallas TX btw.

Any things I should know?

Hoping for a badass loaner car!!!!!

Any and all advice would be appreciated people!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
register with acura care 1-800-382-2238x5
tell them new owner and you want recall check and warranty history- especially trans
They will know if acura paid for a trans replacement

Someone who didnt know about the special warranty may have paid a shop to rebuild!!
there were many of those in the beginning

the oil change special does NOT make for a good relationship with the dealer and is a sales tool for them--think about it
they are going to suggest brake flush-trans fluid service, ps fluid flush
if you are at 100k miles its time for the 105 service- thats no mere oil change!!!

You can look at the trans main bolts under the car- if you see blue paint on the bolt heads, its an acura rebuilt warranty unit!
On those, the oil jet kit is moved inside the trans itself, then the bolt only says ATF

Boroscope wont find the problem we have- clutch pac wearout of 2nd 3rd gear sets
Yes they charge for that- minimum shop charge for diagnosis- 100-150 dollars

Where did you learn to drive? of course its weird backing off at 28- that the torque convertor you feel
Fluid is red when new and should not smell burnt
Is it doing a big shudder as it shifts under normal throttle thru 2nd 3rd gears?
Or takes 5 seconds to engage D5 after putting it in gear?
Have you read the tranny failure symptoms from Acura- in the tranny failure thread here or online or acura.com all have the specific details of what acura finds as symptoms of failure

How did you determine warranty ended- you have the actual first date of sale for the car from acura?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
....if you are at 100k miles its time for the 105 service- thats no mere oil change!!!....
He stated he has 78K miles.

Maybe he's experiencing the 'grade logic' transmission characteristic (read tranny FAQ: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/under-construction-transmission-problem-faq-please-read-before-posting-573111/).

Last edited by totaledTL; 07-26-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Team Owner

jeez- bury the mileage in the end of 2nd paragraph!
If only people would put year model and and miles in the first line...it would make me look less stupid~
(thats for everyone who uses the `Im with stupid`)

give us old guys who dont like wearing glasses a break~

If just past trans warranty, he has at least 7.9 years on car--
so if asking the dealer what needs to be done, they would suggest the 105 based on time, and ps, brake fluid flush based on time and mileage
(guess who was a service writer,, way back when)
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by totaledTL
He stated he has 78K miles.

Maybe he's experiencing the 'grade logic' transmission characteristic (read tranny FAQ: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573111).
grade logic was one of the first things I thought too, but that's only supposed to happen when 1) you're going downhill and 2) you tap the breaks. On all the occasions when this has happened, I was on a flat road and didn't touch the breaks. And it's only around that 25 - 30 mph speed. It's weird.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
jeez- bury the mileage in the end of 2nd paragraph!
If only people would put year model and and miles in the first line...it would make me look less stupid~
(thats for everyone who uses the `Im with stupid`)

give us old guys who dont like wearing glasses a break~

If just past trans warranty, he has at least 7.9 years on car--
so if asking the dealer what needs to be done, they would suggest the 105 based on time, and ps, brake fluid flush based on time and mileage
(guess who was a service writer,, way back when)
Or people could read what the OP took the time to type.

I was actually hoping you'd see my thread, because I respect your opinion. You and fsttyms1 are like gods on this forum. I've lurked long enough to know that.

I've been lurking for over a year, longer than I've owned the car, and I'm not an idiot. I've taken all the advice I've read on these threads. I registered on the My Acura Website, did the cabin air filter replacement and a few other things, seafoamed, . . . procrastinated and didn't call the acura client services number until about a week ago.

When I called the acura number, I registered as the owner, got the original date of sale, October 20th of 2001. I asked about the warranty. The lady on the phone told me the warranty expired July 20th. I told her I was trying to figure out if I was on the original transmission or not .. . told her I don't see an oil jet kit, but the oil jet kit recall on the "My Acura" website says "Fixed". . . . she just cut me off and told me "I wouldn't know about any of that because I'm not a service writer" or something along those lines. I was surprised by how rude she was.

I'm not looking for a free transmission. I'd just like to know what I'm driving and what kind of condition it's in. F*ck!

I also know about what's normal and what's not for the transmission. Gear shifts are smooth. No long delays. I explained the only symptoms in my original post. The weird engine breaking type of feeling around 28 mph, and the occasional stuttering that I suspect may actually be gear slippage.

I explained in my original post that tranny fluid smells fine. It looks pink on the paper towel after I wipe it from the dip stick. I suspect it would look red (like you said it should be) in a drain pan, but I'm not about to drain it.

You asked where I learned to drive. Sears Driving school at Valley View Mall about 12 years ago.

I'm canceling my service appointment and I don't give a damn about the transmission anymore. I'm done trying. I'll change the fluid every other oil change (15,000 miles). I'll drive the car till it dies. I'll see the dealer when my tranny blows up or I need the 105,000 mile service.

Oh and in regard to what you said about blue bolts and INTERNAL oil jet kits: . . . As I said earlier, the My Acura website says oil jet kit recall is "fixed" + I see no oil jet kit + I see blue painted 'ATF' bolt on transmission = replacement transmission. I just don't know at what mileage it was done . .. and I never will. F it. I'm done. I tried.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

you spoke to one idiot at client service- so what- call back and ask again
They know if the RECALL for oil jet kit was done or not
they know if the trans was replaced
Dont say anything about your online account!

You said there is ATF fill bolt on top- Im telling you to look under the car at the trans bolts that hold it together- if painted blue its an acura replacement

Your dealer can provide more info if you drop by and ask them to run the VIN
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

if your not looking for a free trans- you are the only one!