F*** up transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry F*** up transmission

I am not new to forum but never post any topic .
But this time, I really need to post this topic...

Okay here is the story..on last weekend...me and my friend went drinking and I drove my 2002 acura TL-S. On the way back home, my buddy was driving the car since I was drunk. However, he accidentely put it on sport shift instead automatic mode... and he had no idea what mode he was on...He was kept on driving on sport shift mode in local street and once we got on the freeway...that was when thing got seriously f*** up. We were going about 60 mph on the freeway and about after 5 minutes, I began to smell something burning. He was reaching about 5-6000rpm on 2nd gear. And I finally realized he was driving 2nd gear on sport shift. Since I was so drunk I did not know he was on sport shift mode and I think I messed up my transmission...

What do you guys think ..What should I do...Should I call dealer... I will appreciated if you guys can give me any kind of responses or information...I just wonder how much damage I done to my transmission...

Thanks....
Old 09-05-2001, 12:59 PM
Bada Bing

How is the car driving today in D5? As well as in SS mode?
Old 09-05-2001, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SlyTLS
How is the car driving today in D5? As well as in SS mode?
Agreed. How's she acting now? I'd change the trans fluid no matter what, then go from there......

Jim
Old 09-05-2001, 01:21 PM
Racer

Re: F*** up transmission

Originally posted by jc09142001
kay here is the story..on last weekend...me and my friend went drinking with my 2002 acura TL-S.
DAMN!!! The TL-S drinks too??? I knew this car was sweet, but a drinkin partner also...What more could ya ask.

WDP/Ebony 02' TL-S
Old 09-05-2001, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear

RE: How is the car driving today in D5? As well as in SS mode?

It is driving fine at this point but I just think the life of transmission got shorter than it supposed be...I just plan to change the transmission oil and engine oil .....other than that...I can not do anything else...

I did not drive SS mode after that incident..sort of scare to drive with SS mode ...might do more harm,,,

I just want to find out how much damage I done to my transmission...
Old 09-05-2001, 01:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drunk-Lined

Dude,

*pssst* I did the same mistake on a rental car once! Drove it for like 15 miles in second gear at 60 mph! The car...a Chevy Corsica didn't have a tach and I had the music cranked so I didn't hear the revs. LOL! I noticed a problem when the temp. gauge started to rise! Whoops. I just pulled over and let the car cool down. After it cooled down, it drove fine without over-heating.

Moral of the story? DON'T BUY A USED RENTAL CAR! :p

I think your tranny is probably fine...it's the engine I'd worry about cause it's the one doing all the high revs. You know...burning out pistons and ugly stuff like that. But I think you're doing the right thing by changing the fluids in the car. Just pay attention to see if the engine and tranny work "normally" from now on.

Oh yeah...don't forget...beat the crap out of your friend for jacking up your ride!
Old 09-05-2001, 01:48 PM
Instructor

I'm sure your tranny and engine are fine. If you've ever seen the new RSX Type-R video from Japan you'll notice that the guy keeps that car at or just below redline almost the entire time that his is on the track--and he's driving for a long time. That is some amazing ****. So, I bet everyhting is OK
Old 09-05-2001, 01:59 PM
Drifting

5000-6000 is not redline is it?

If not you should be fine.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

I've seen that happen.

I took a friend to the dealership to pickup her new TLS. She drove about 9 miles to her house. She got out of her car and asked what smelled, and did my TLS make all that engine noise when I drove. It turns out that she was in SS mode, so she never got out of 2nd gear and didn't realize it, and no alcohol was involved! She has about 800 miles now and hasn't had any engine/tranny problems (yet).
Old 09-05-2001, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are probably fine. I had a customer who drove about 400 plus miles on a trip in ss and never had a problem. He came in complaining that the car was noisy on the highway and slowed down too much when he took his foor off the gas! We checked it out and it was fine. I wouldn't worry- you can still use sport shift.
Old 09-05-2001, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

Smile

Thanks guys for your responses and information..I just hoping my transmission is okay...According to my friend who own a bodyshop and was a mechanic for BMW dealer, he said I did a major damage to transmission. Even though I was driving 60mph on 2nd gear for only around 5minutes, I can do severe damage on transmission . He was saying that all the part in the transmission are very delicate such as ..rubbers parts and seal parts..etc..He was saying that I mess up the 2nd gear and 3rd gear , wearing them out around 50% ..He was comparing to the situation where you put the parking brake on and drive for 5minutes going 60mph...Basically your brake pad is grining down the the plate... This is the similar situtation happened to my car according my friend..Additionally, he was saying that the transmission is the most important part of car and to replace or fix it , it is going to be very expensive.

I just could not understand how the car can even go 60mph in second gear...I love this car and I want keep it least 10years..but at this point I am not sure about that anymore.

Questions for David V and Wayneg.. Were they on the freeway...
Old 09-05-2001, 08:44 PM
TRELOS

Bro thats Bull****

If your friend was driving ur car and didn't notice why the car abruptly kept slowing down when he reach 60+ mph (rev limiter). Or why the car would be real f***in peppy at 60 . I don't know.
But from my opinion your tranny is fine :p . Unnnnnless you bought it brand new and didn't break it in properly, then that would only mean deminished life of both the engine and the tranny.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by jc09142001
...Questions for David V and Wayneg.. Were they on the freeway...
No freeway driving, just crowded two lane roads, lots of stop and go driving, with cruising speed mostly around 40mph. Probably never over 50mph even briefly.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:43 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to have a Levelten tranny put in.

Seriously though, have you already changed the fluid? If you haven't I would have a complete flush done and change any filters while you are at it. Then drive it normally and go ahead and see how it does in SS mode. If it's going to blow its going to blow anyway.

If it was really only driven for 5 miles or so in second and not about 6000RPM is should be fine. It may have gotten hot and burned up the fluid to a degree, but it should not have burned up you tranny that quickly.

Besides flushing the tranny I'd do the engine the same way. And I'd even recommend checking the CV joints/drive axles out. I'm not sure if all cars are the same and I haven't looked in the the Acuras, but most have axle joints that have bearing in them and are greased. If it does, I'd pay the extra to have them checked and repacked. It's possible that they were heated up and may have lost some lubrication.

Keep us posted on what happens.

RUF
Old 09-06-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure feel sorry for BMW if all their techs are as informed as your friend I really don't think you need to worry- people do that all the time on the hiway and back roads. You car is under warranty for 4 years/50k miles. Just drive it and enjoy-
Old 09-07-2001, 08:38 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
As a former pro-tech,
I agree with Wayne .

To give you peace of mind, drain the fluid into a perfectly clean receptable - shake it up - strain some of the fluid through a coffee filter - if you see significant debris, then the BMW guy may be right - if you don't, I think you are ok. I think you will be ok.