Extended Warranty BS

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty BS

Hey guys. I'm having serious difficulties trying to get my warranty provider not to screw me out of as much money as possible. You might have read my previous thread, but I'll recap. My tranny went out about a month ago, and I took it into Acura to get it replaced. I thought that this wouldn't be a problem, since my entire tranny is covered on my 2000, but the warranty company told me that they wouldn't cover this procedure, and had me send it to a local transmission shop. They sent one of their inspectors over there to see what was damaged, and what they'll cover (since they won't replace the tranny, they want to save money and rebuild it), and it's finally getting started (like I said, I haven't had a car for a month because of all this crap), but it's costing me $1400, and they're only throwing in $1000. The shop owners say that this is ridiculous, and have never seen a case where the customer has to pay more than the provider on something that's supposed to be covered. Supposedly, the solenoids need to be replaced, and my warranty doesn't cover that. So, what do you guys recommend that I do? I'm trying everything I can to uncover some evidence of them shafting me, but I don't know where to start? Should I ask for a complete list of everything they cover and don't cover? 'Cause the document that I signed doesn't have the breakdown of what exactly is covered, it just gives you a false sense of security about everything that is "covered", until you read the fine print in some document that you're not even provided with. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

i just got my tranny replaced on my '99 TL, which had the extended warranty.. i don't know what the warranty is on the 2000's, but don't F-around with shops.. if it's covered under the warranty, take it to the biggest acura dealership/repair shop you can get to.. not only will they take the car in very quickly, if not on the spot, but they'll also hook you up with a loaner until yours is fixed.. they gave me an '04 TLX as a free courtesy loaner.. i'm tellin ya, the dealerships want your business, so they take care of you.. Acura of Boston is amazing if you live anywhere near there
Old 11-18-2003, 08:28 AM
The axeman Cometh

weel Austin rhymes with Boston but I dont think they are any where near eachother
Old 11-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

kinda like the movie "road trip"... "uh, he went to visit his girlfriend at the University of Boston"
Old 11-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's a 2000 and under 100K why are you going through this crap. Just take it back to Acura, its covered for 7 yrs and 100K.....
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

yo, u should have the tranny covered. read the tsb @ the end of my post. go to http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/, register, look @ ur recall section, enter ur VIN and see if the extended warranty thing shows up there. u can also call up client services and give them ur VIN. the tranny on my 99TL also started acting funny and i just took it to them. it got replaced with not 2 much hastle. that was when i found out about the tranny warranty extension recall. hell, u don't even need to have paid for extended warranty to get the tranny extension to 100kmiles.

manuks, unlike u, i had beef with acura of boston. those guys acted up during that tranny service and 2 other issues i had @ the same time. i even almost got charged for the tranny and argued i had the extended warranty initially. well i take my car to acura of peabody for services and for parts/sales info, i communicate with the buddy i bought my car from @ acura of boston. as for he service guy in boston, i could run him over :-)

TSB 02-027 Warranty Extension: 3.2TL and 3.2CL Automatic Transmission

VEHICLES AFFECTED

2000–02 3.2TL: All

2003 3.2TL (except Type S):
From VIN 19UUA5...3A000001
thru 19UUA5...3A019556

2003 3.2TL Type S:
From VIN 19UUA5...3A000001
thru 19UUA5...3A019061

2001–02 3.2CL: All

2003 3.2CL (all models):
From VIN 19UYA42..3A000001
thru 19UYA42..3A005203

BACKGROUND

In certain vehicles, a higher than normal number of
automatic transmissions may have defects in material
or workmanship that could cause premature wear or
failure. To ensure that customers have adequate
warranty coverage, American Honda is increasing the
warranty on the transmission (including solenoids) and
the torque converter to 7 years or 100,000 miles,
whichever occurs first.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

All owners of affected vehicles were mailed a
notification of the warranty extension. This warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss, or any that has been issued a salvage, branded, or similar title under any state’s law. Please see VIN-specific information to determine eligibility.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

If standard diagnostics confirm an internal problem with
the torque converter or the automatic transmission,
replace the affected part.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, this should be covered under the Acura's 7-year/100,000-mile factory transmission warranty, not your extended warranty. Unless you have over a 100,000 miles.

No need to go through with this BS. Take it back to the Acura dealership, and you won't have to pay a penny.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

yo blaquemale, what was your service guy's name? i actually did have a guy at first who said there was nothing wrong, and then the tranny quit on me a day later.. at first i had some ugly oafy guy, he sucked, then i had this guy Nigel who helped me out big time.. if you had the oafy guy as your supervisor, i can see why you had a problem.. he looks like he's more of custodian
Old 11-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

ha ha, i might have an idea of the oafy guy u referred to. nah, this was curt, a younger guy. i heard nigel is a really good guy, though. but @ that time, i had had enough and just wanted to switch locations. i was tired of the service and the general efficiency of the acura cars.

though a staff recommended, i didn't know how it would look if i requested a change of service managers. so i simply switched branches. besides i was tired of the integra and enterprise loaners.

Originally posted by manuks
yo blaquemale, what was your service guy's name? i actually did have a guy at first who said there was nothing wrong, and then the tranny quit on me a day later.. at first i had some ugly oafy guy, he sucked, then i had this guy Nigel who helped me out big time.. if you had the oafy guy as your supervisor, i can see why you had a problem.. he looks like he's more of custodian
Old 11-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Just a curious question, how come all your transmissions went? you guyz are making me scared that I will experience the same problem as well, since I own TL'00.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

I am considering purchasing a '00 TL with 83K miles. Will the 100K warranty apply to me if I am purchasing the car used?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty BS

Originally posted by aclonghorn
Hey guys. I'm having serious difficulties trying to get my warranty provider not to screw me out of as much money as possible. You might have read my previous thread, but I'll recap. My tranny went out about a month ago, and I took it into Acura to get it replaced. I thought that this wouldn't be a problem, since my entire tranny is covered on my 2000, but the warranty company told me that they wouldn't cover this procedure, and had me send it to a local transmission shop. They sent one of their inspectors over there to see what was damaged, and what they'll cover (since they won't replace the tranny, they want to save money and rebuild it), and it's finally getting started (like I said, I haven't had a car for a month because of all this crap), but it's costing me $1400, and they're only throwing in $1000. The shop owners say that this is ridiculous, and have never seen a case where the customer has to pay more than the provider on something that's supposed to be covered. Supposedly, the solenoids need to be replaced, and my warranty doesn't cover that. So, what do you guys recommend that I do? I'm trying everything I can to uncover some evidence of them shafting me, but I don't know where to start? Should I ask for a complete list of everything they cover and don't cover? 'Cause the document that I signed doesn't have the breakdown of what exactly is covered, it just gives you a false sense of security about everything that is "covered", until you read the fine print in some document that you're not even provided with. Thanks in advance.

How many miles are on your car???
Old 11-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by georgeyew
I am considering purchasing a '00 TL with 83K miles. Will the 100K warranty apply to me if I am purchasing the car used?
Yes you will get the 100k mile warranty on the transmission..

But i woudln't buy a TL with 83k knowing there could be a potential $4,000 expense past 100k if the tranny goes. Spend a little more and get one with either lower miles, or buy a different car.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by georgeyew
i agree with vtec. honestly, i wouldn't buy an acura model that has already hit 50k miles, with the experience i have. the acuras generally have defects which apparently don't get fixed in newer models (rather reduced e.g. by putting bigger brakes on the 2004 TL to mask the brake issues). therefore, even with extended warranty and a knowledge of the recalls and tsbs, it's simply an inconvenience goin thru the process of fixes.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear

But i woudln't buy a TL with 83k knowing there could be a potential $4,000 expense past 100k if the tranny goes. Spend a little more and get one with either lower miles, or buy a different car.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Instructor

My 2000 has 62k on it. I've decided to shell out the money to my warranty company, since I'm tired of not having a car, and I'm gonna file a refund complaint with them later. This brings up another question: Will this new tranny that's being installed by someone other than an Acura dealership be covered under Acura's 100,000-mile warranty? Just looking ahead for when the tranny goes out again. Thanks guys.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Drifting

My 2000 has 62k on it. I've decided to shell out the money to my warranty company, since I'm tired of not having a car, and I'm gonna file a refund complaint with them later. This brings up another question: Will this new tranny that's being installed by someone other than an Acura dealership be covered under Acura's 100,000-mile warranty? Just looking ahead for when the tranny goes out again. Thanks guys.
Take your car to the Acura dealer right now!! They will replace it for FREE..
Old 11-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I don't understand why you don't let the dealer do it for free? Plus you get a genuine Acura replacement. If you let that shop do the work you can almost bet that the extended warrenty will become void.

And since that warrenty company is being such a little b1tch you would cancel that too. You should be able to do that and have a prorated refund.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Racer

Take it to an ACURA DEALER!!

Should I ask for a complete list of everything they cover and don't cover? 'Cause the document that I signed doesn't have the breakdown of what exactly is covered, it just gives you a false sense of security about everything that is "covered", until you read the fine print in some document that you're not even provided with.
I'm not trying to be a ****, but you should have done that before you bought the warranty. If a warranty company won't give you the info upfront or on the contract, don't buy it. You're paying for the piece of paper, not any kind of service contract. I wholeheartedly believe in warranties, but I always stick to the manufacturer backed warranty. I have a General Motors Protection Plan on my 2000 GTP, and they cover almost anything that could go wrong with the car. How do I know? you may be asking...well they gave me a list of what is not covered on the car. Everything else is covered. Make sure you know what you're buying next time.

Cancel that bs warranty and get your prorated refund back!!
Old 11-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

If I bought my TL from another dealer(Chevolet). And I only have 30 days warranty from there.

Does my TL have the extend warranty from Acura?

My car only 53k miles.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Racer

You can always take Acura to small claims court. make sure to bring in your documents and make sure you write down the dates, mileage, the dates you talked with the service rep, first and last names, and all the details that were discussed. Being organized and well prepared, you should win pretty easily.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Intermediate

Okay...Thanks for the information! ymcknoon.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Instructor

OK, after reading the posting about the 100k mile coverage from Acura on this thread, I realized why I'm being treated like ****. My 2000 TL was technically "totalled" (I don't know if that's the correct term). It had some flood damage, and has a Texas water title on it, so I think that's why Acura isn't covering my tranny. But I'm still outraged at how my warranty company has treated me. I think my mom and I are going to file some papers to get them to refund us, but I'm sure it won't work, since we'll be filing the complaint with my warranty provider, and they're weasels. I heard people talking about getting a prorated refund after cancelling an extended warranty. Should I ask my company about that? Also, does Acura/Honda offerany factory extended warranties? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Who sold you the extended warranty? Lets get the word out on these shmucks!

Iggy
Old 11-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Intermediate

acura's extended warranty is 7 years 100,000 mi, from the date of original purchase, no matter if you're the 19th owner of the car.. so in other words, no matter what the other warranty company, i think you should be covered by acura themselves
Old 11-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Drifting

so your saying your TL has a salvaged title??

If so, its a tough call whether Acura would cover it or not.. But did they tell you there not covering it because it was flood damaged??