Engine light on 2002 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Engine light on 2002 TL

Hello I have a question regarding a problem I am having with a 2002 TL. The engine light keeps coming on. Took it to the dealer (Park Acura in Akron Ohio) was told the first time that it was the gas cap not being tightened securely they even suggested a new gas cap. However since then and making sure that the gas cap was extra tight the light keeps coming on (goes off sometime).. the last time I tool it in the dealership claimed that they need to run a diasgnostic on it and the cost starts at $98 and that they still won't know exactly what's wrong however once they run a diagnositc they will keep on testing/ examining other possibilities until they are able to properly diagnose the isssue. Can someone please help with some sort of insight in that I don't want to give Park Acura and open check... seems to me that they should have diagnosed it properly the first time. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I have dead hookers in

ake your car to an auto parts store. They will hook it up and give you a print out of the error codes causing your check engine light to come on. They will then tell you exactly what those codes are therefore diagnosing the problem for free. If it is something little then you can more than likely fix it yourself. When you find out the codes post them on here for all of us to help you man. Now GO to the parts store and get it checked
Old 07-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Acura Owner Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what was the code the first time they check it and said gas cap issue? codes will give you a general area of failure never a diaginosis, so rangers right you can have anyone pull the code, but make sure they don't clear it if it is emissions related like cat converter becuase it may be covered under emissions warranty 8/80 miles or maybe even a tranny which is covered on that year 7y 9m or 114.5k miles. I think it is better to just pay the $98 becuase then they have to give you an exact diaginosis not just what the code is and if it comes back on after doing recommended repairs they own the problem (less hassle) or if your a regular customer, ask for a one-time goodwill diaginosis barter with them, tell them you will give a 100% on the e-mail survey from Acura if they hook you up., I would
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well for $98 they didn't find the right problem, I would bring the car back to them and have them finish the job they started.

You'll likely have a tough time finding an OBD-II for loan at an autoparts store. I know I am and I have a regional director for parts america looking into it.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For 98$ why don't you just get a OBD-II scanner and pull the CODE yourself ????
That is what I did and It's a well spend 98$ ...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
You can get a no frills scanner for under $50 if you look around.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
yes, but acura has a scanner that we cannot buy its very special factory tool-

if this was a normal problem we answer every day - we would have

autozones codes will help on things like bad coil or egr plugged- but not the obscure ones that acura can plug in and drive around- they also have access to tech bulletins based on all the dealers experience with wierd problems

Did the OP pay the 98$, it seemed like they did a visual free diagnosis- yeah make sure the gas cap is one 3 clicks- not 10- that isnt needed- it actually is tight enough at the click and the next 2 alert you that all is well- its a tightly sealed system.
If there was wear on the seal or it didnt test good on holding pressure- they would suggest a new cap
Smog test in many states require a test of the cap function

On top of all of that- as our insider said- it may well be covered on the 80k emission warranty or a trans related prob that can also be covered

Whats the whole story- did the OP have work done on the car before this problem- whats the mileage- what did it do before this started...details- we need codes and details

Hit autozone or kragen for a basic parked coded read- if anything -report here- if we cant say- oh that usually means this- then its off to acura for you
codes are NOT diagnosis- they are clues which can be followed to the real problem
Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Acura Owner Advocate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
yes, but acura has a scanner that we cannot buy its very special factory tool-

if this was a normal problem we answer every day - we would have

autozones codes will help on things like bad coil or egr plugged- but not the obscure ones that acura can plug in and drive around- they also have access to tech bulletins based on all the dealers experience with wierd problems

Did the OP pay the 98$, it seemed like they did a visual free diagnosis- yeah make sure the gas cap is one 3 clicks- not 10- that isnt needed- it actually is tight enough at the click and the next 2 alert you that all is well- its a tightly sealed system.
If there was wear on the seal or it didnt test good on holding pressure- they would suggest a new cap
Smog test in many states require a test of the cap function

On top of all of that- as our insider said- it may well be covered on the 80k emission warranty or a trans related prob that can also be covered

Whats the whole story- did the OP have work done on the car before this problem- whats the mileage- what did it do before this started...details- we need codes and details

Hit autozone or kragen for a basic parked coded read- if anything -report here- if we cant say- oh that usually means this- then its off to acura for you
codes are NOT diagnosis- they are clues which can be followed to the real problem
Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Might be able to order one if you had the part # or Honda code but probably expensive....
Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
10th Gear

I say pick up an OBD-II scanner and scan for a code yourself, I have one myself and its a great deal of help.