Decision time Torque Converter or Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022 | 12:37 AM
Pro

Decision time Torque Converter or Transmission

2002 TLS: Been having problems with the car moving. Code was P0730 Incorrect Gear ratio. This came up when driving on the freeway (lots of fun) and power went away. Transmission was not locked up as RPM's & speed were not in sync (as show by the 730 code). I went through all the solenoids and speed sensors I replaced the dual solenoid on top and now it sometimes engages but while in Park I now hear a high pitched whine that gets louder with increased RPM. It sounds like the torque converter is bad. I will try to post a short video with sound tomorrow. I am now torn between replacing the torque converter (rebuilt $200) on the current transmission or trying to find a used 06/07 Honda Accord transmission. Since a lot of time has passed since the these started to be swapped into the TL's the ones I am seeing are around $1500 for a unit with about 120k on it. If I did that I would also replace the torque converter on that unit again another $200. Decisions decisions.
Old 04-17-2022 | 05:58 PM
Pro

Hopefully this works. I have added a video so you can hear the sound. I believe the high pitch whining is not political but a bad torque converter. Can anyone confirm?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
VID_20220417_150922168_Trim.mov (18.74 MB, 43 views)

Last edited by Jon M; 04-17-2022 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022 | 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi Jon, sounds like the torque converter; mine was like that and I ignored it. If it's been like this for a while then the chances are the transmission will need replacing soon as failed torque converter leads to the transmission failing as clutch pressures aren't able to be maintained and clutch wear/internal contamination will accelerate the death of the trans even further.

did you see the video below? mine was just like this...fortunately I think the author of this video caught it quickly and only needed a new TC.

The following users liked this post:
Jon M (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022 | 05:06 PM
Pro

whitetiger 5, Thanks for the confirmation. I have seen the video a few times. Read through the entire transmission swap thread (long). I heard that sound and I was pretty sure of what is causing it but I have little transmission experience and do appreciate the confirmation from someone who has been through the same type of situation before. Still haven't made up my mind which route I am going to go. I have started purchasing some items that I would replace no matter which direction I go. When you changed out your transmission did you look at the drive plate? If so, any issues that would make you think it might need replaced?

Last edited by Jon M; 04-18-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2022 | 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

I removed my drive plate to do a couple things a) removed it and lined it up with torque converter that came with my AV6 while out of the car to confirm they matched bolt pattern and b) to get to the rear main seal the plate must come off. on that note: if you are going to replace the rear main seal when you do your transmission work (and you should) get the whole backing plate that goes on the back of the engine block. the most common leak from here is actually not the rear main seal itself and is an o-ring that is up much higher between the block and the plate. that oring is made from the same material as the camshaft thrust orings, and by now has hardened and started to allow oil past it; which is misleading because the oil comes down the sides of the block and presents itself as a leak from the oil pan or rear main.
Old 04-19-2022 | 01:03 PM
Pro

Whitetiger5,

I have ordered the plate with the main seal installed. I ordered the parts below, I may order more control parts once I see the condition of the rest. I didn't order the flex (drive) plate. I decided to wait and see on that one. Need to order the torque converter, If I read through the swap posts correctly the HO21 fits both the current transmission or an AV6 transmission. Still on the fence about the AV6. If I install just the rebuilt TC and it doesn't work I can take everything apart again (would go much quicker and easier a second time).

Old 04-27-2022 | 08:12 AM
Intermediate

I wouldn’t bother with a rebuild. I did the AV6 swap about 3 years ago and best upgrade you can do. Much smoother shifts, quicker response. I love it.
Old 04-27-2022 | 11:56 PM
Pro

Jacob Marin Jr, My issue spending the cash. If I have to I can but I think the current problem is only the torque converter. As I am now retired I have the time to open it back up if I need to replace the transmission. Right now my plan is to replace the torque converter and some other minor items, the mail seal plate ( as suggested by whitetiger5) some axel seals, motor and transmission mounts, and some bushings. If I do have to replace the transmission I will be getting an AV6, I have no intention of rebuilding any transmission (never have done that myself). If I was still working I would replace the transmission now but with no daily commuting required anymore I can wait and see.

Old 04-28-2022 | 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jon M
Jacob Marin Jr, My issue spending the cash. If I have to I can but I think the current problem is only the torque converter. As I am now retired I have the time to open it back up if I need to replace the transmission. Right now my plan is to replace the torque converter and some other minor items, the mail seal plate ( as suggested by whitetiger5) some axel seals, motor and transmission mounts, and some bushings. If I do have to replace the transmission I will be getting an AV6, I have no intention of rebuilding any transmission (never have done that myself). If I was still working I would replace the transmission now but with no daily commuting required anymore I can wait and see.
I see, if it’s still the original tranny, the torque converter is not so much the issue but the internals of the tranny. That’s why most ppl that do a rebuilt or converter, most of the time it doesn’t last. That’s why the AV6 swap is ideal to get the issue resolved, the only issue now is trying to find some with low miles cause some ppl recommend to upgrade the torque converter if the AV6 tranny has a lot of miles on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jacob Marin Jr:
jmk2003 (09-07-2022), whitetiger5 (04-29-2022)