Engine Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which engine can be swapped into a TL-P AND are compatible with the AV6 transmission?

Good morning, everyone. I have an ‘03 Acura TL (named her Cypher). She has 117k miles on her. I love her seven though I’ve only had her about two months. I’ve been trying to learn everything I can about cars and her model specifically and I’ve seen people mention the AV6 swap and engine swaps.

essentially, I’m wondering which j35 engines are compatible with the AV6? I know the engines we can swap are the j35a3 and j35a4 and that’s the 01 and 02 MDX, 02-04 Odyssey and the 03 and 04 Pilot.

My confusion comes from the conflicting reports I’ve seen on whether the Pilot engine works and also if any of these engine are compatible with the BAYA AV6 trans.

I’ve asked several Facebook groups, the Acura subreddit and perused this site. Just want to ensure I’m 100% on everything before I begin.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,616 Likes on 6,654 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?client...Aacurazine.com

Welcome,

one of the best ways to search this site is by using google and adding site:acurazine.com to your search query to limit to the site. There are a few threads above regarding mating a j35 with an AV6 trans
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi;[url=tel:16812909
16812909[/url]]https://www.google.com/search?client...Aacurazine.com

Welcome,

one of the best ways to search this site is by using google and adding site:acurazine.com to your search query to limit to the site. There are a few threads above regarding mating a j35 with an AV6 trans
thanks. I was also wondering if the Pilot engine was compatible.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

3.2 TL-P Engine Swap Questions

I previously asked a question on another forum about engine swaps and their compatibility with the AV6 swaps.

l have an 03 TL-P and I’ve wanted to make a unique car. Meaning I want to do stuff a lot of other people haven’t done very often. Intake, quad exhaust, custom headers. That’s when I stumbled upon 3.5 swaps and was enamored with the idea of MORE POWER. More zip.

But then I realized I was only doing an engine swap because I thought it would make my car faster. I’m still learning about the intricacies of cars, so please be patient.

From my understanding, torque is what moves the car and power is what accelerates it. I *thought* that adding a larger engine- ie the 3.5L engines from the Odyssey, MDX, or Pilot- would increase torque AND power. But my friend explained that it’s mostly going to be torque that’s increased because those larger engines are meant to tow things.

with that information in hand, what are the benefits or effects of engine swapping? Are there ways to increase power after engine swapping? Headers? CAI?

thank you for your help.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Engine Swap Help

l have an 03 TL-P and I’ve wanted to make a unique car. Meaning I want to do stuff a lot of other people haven’t done very often. Intake, quad exhaust, custom headers. That’s when I stumbled upon 3.5 swaps and was enamored with the idea of MORE POWER. More zip.

But then I realized I was only doing an engine swap because I thought it would make my car faster. I’m still learning about the intricacies of cars, so please be patient.

From my understanding, torque is what moves the car and power is what accelerates it. I *thought* that adding a larger engine- ie the 3.5L engines from the Odyssey, MDX, or Pilot- would increase torque AND power. But my friend explained that it’s mostly going to be torque that’s increased because those larger engines are meant to tow things.

with that information in hand, what are the benefits or effects of engine swapping? Are there ways to increase power after engine swapping? Headers? CAI?

thank you for your help.