Check Engine Light Went On Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Check Engine Light Went On Again

Well, the first time it happened around 1200 miles, and this time it happened around 1800 miles. I took it to Keyes Acura again, and they had no explanation as to why it went on again. There is some kind of glitch with the ECU. According to the Acura Technical Information Line, there will be a "fix" to this problem some time in May or June, and he will notify me when it comes in so that my car can be fixed. He believes the fix may be an updated ECU (as opposed to an update to the ECU). In the meantime, the light was reset, nothing else was done to my car, and I was told to ignore the check engine light if it goes on again because there is nothing wrong with my car.

Anyone else with similar problems?

------------------
2001 Silver TL w/Navi
Factory Spoiler
Comptech springs
Comptech sways
18" TMW Scuderias
Pirelli P7000 SS 225/40
35% tint
Old 05-16-2001, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your problem. Mine came on and was flashing about 2 weeks ago, after I redlined in 3rd gear. The light went out after I restarted the car, and it hasn't come back on yet. Not sure what the problem was, if any.
http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007561.html

Keep us posted on the updated ECU issue.

DA
Old 05-16-2001, 05:45 PM
Racer

I had that problem all the time on my 2000 TL it hasn't come yet in my 01TL(keep forgetting 00 with upgraded cupholder) just watching out for it though on my 00 it came on right after I left the showroom and continued to come on after that.

------------------
2001 Naples Gold non/nav, Burlwood shifter, Comptech Springs & Sways, Comptech Drop in Filter on order, 02 Tails, Clifford I9000, PIAA 1700X , Inspire Switch, audio upgrade coming soon, Polarg M12 on order
Old 05-16-2001, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I will come back to you.....

I had the same problem on my 2000TL

Pain in the ASS, make you feel that got a POS!!!
Old 05-16-2001, 09:47 PM

yeh...I feel your pain man...I was very disappointed in the car when I was having this same problem. Frustrating as hell. But my problems went away somehow...I havent gotten a check engine light since 7000miles ago. Im at 15K right now. So maybe youll be lucky and itll disappear. That or theyll get that new ECU in and fix everything...I sure hope it does...
Old 05-16-2001, 11:14 PM
Pro

So I pick up my TL just before 6:00 pm at Keyes Acura in Van Nuys. Because it is a late pick up, they don't valet it for me, I have to walk to the back parking lot to get it. When I see it, its still got the #741 marker on the roof. When I see it, I seriously can't tell whether they washed it or not (they did), and it was seriously dirty when I dropped it off. The plastic is still on the seats, the paper is still on the floor, the plastic piece of my console just below the "ashtray" has not been replaced, and there is a sign that says Ever Gamez has personally serviced and tested my car. I turn the engine, and my "check engine" light is still on. As I'm driving off the lot, I see Chris Deacon, my service representative. I give him back his #741, the plastic, and the paper, and tell him the "check engine" light, the whole point of my visit, has not been reset. I also tell him a piece of my console is missing. He finds the piece and replaces it, and tells me they were supposed to reset it. If I want my "check engine" light reset, I can bring it back tomorrow, but that there is nothing he can do about it now. He tells me that there is nothing wrong with the car, and its okay to drive it with the light on. I tell him I realize that, but it annoys the shit out of me. He says even if they reset it, it may come on again. That really instills confidence in me. I realize it's past 6:00 pm, and I didn't expect him to reset it then, but, geez, and the guy wasn't a total dick, but he wasn't very apologetic either.

Anyway, the service order says: "Correction: No Charge: Acura Technical Information Line said an updated ECU module will be coming out in May -- Car is safe to drive."
Old 05-17-2001, 04:58 AM

sometimes it can be misadjustment of how your engine is woking, im not no technician and stuff, but from common sense i can tell
two things from this, a> what you mentioned on how the ecu is messed up(most likely not), or it could be that your ecu is tryin to show that there is a problem. just check how your car is running, is it running slow, eating alot of gas, shifting very abnormally, extra noise coming from somewhere, maybe a connection is bad etc.. and it is probaly that the dealership that you go to is just not making the effort to check everything, they just drive and THINK its ok! im sure thas safe!
if i were you go to a reputable acura service, ask around youll probaly find something i hope this helped good luck!
p.s. "Correction: No Charge: Acura Technical Information Line said an updated ECU module will be coming out in May -- Car is safe to drive." MY ASS its safe!
Old 05-17-2001, 06:12 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by 3210cc:
sometimes it can be misadjustment of how your engine is woking, im not no technician and stuff, but from common sense i can tell
two things from this, a> what you mentioned on how the ecu is messed up(most likely not), or it could be that your ecu is tryin to show that there is a problem. just check how your car is running, is it running slow, eating alot of gas, shifting very abnormally, extra noise coming from somewhere, maybe a connection is bad etc.. and it is probaly that the dealership that you go to is just not making the effort to check everything, they just drive and THINK its ok! im sure thas safe!
if i were you go to a reputable acura service, ask around youll probaly find something i hope this helped good luck!
p.s. "Correction: No Charge: Acura Technical Information Line said an updated ECU module will be coming out in May -- Car is safe to drive." MY ASS its safe!
Actually they really do have software issues on the 2000 TL, but I know that there are machnical related to the Check Engine Light as well!

Acura can deal with the extra gas got stock in your engine causing trouble start by leaving the fan on after the engine is shut off, but there need a new ECU as well!

I got those problems so I looked into it...
Old 05-17-2001, 06:16 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by SC TL:
So I pick up my TL just before 6:00 pm at Keyes Acura in Van Nuys. Because it is a late pick up, they don't valet it for me, I have to walk to the back parking lot to get it. When I see it, its still got the #741 marker on the roof. When I see it, I seriously can't tell whether they washed it or not (they did), and it was seriously dirty when I dropped it off. The plastic is still on the seats, the paper is still on the floor, the plastic piece of my console just below the "ashtray" has not been replaced, and there is a sign that says Ever Gamez has personally serviced and tested my car. I turn the engine, and my "check engine" light is still on. As I'm driving off the lot, I see Chris Deacon, my service representative. I give him back his #741, the plastic, and the paper, and tell him the "check engine" light, the whole point of my visit, has not been reset. I also tell him a piece of my console is missing. He finds the piece and replaces it, and tells me they were supposed to reset it. If I want my "check engine" light reset, I can bring it back tomorrow, but that there is nothing he can do about it now. He tells me that there is nothing wrong with the car, and its okay to drive it with the light on. I tell him I realize that, but it annoys the shit out of me. He says even if they reset it, it may come on again. That really instills confidence in me. I realize it's past 6:00 pm, and I didn't expect him to reset it then, but, geez, and the guy wasn't a total dick, but he wasn't very apologetic either.

Anyway, the service order says: "Correction: No Charge: Acura Technical Information Line said an updated ECU module will be coming out in May -- Car is safe to drive."
Okay, that's it... enough said... Now will you buy another Acura? HELL NO FOR ME!!!

I am serious man, it pisses off! I was gonna get the MDX and have a track car for the race track. Now I won't even think about it no matter how great the MDX is, because they way they treat people just sucked...

Now, I am REALLY SORRY TO HEAR YOUR STORY! because I GOT THE SAME KINDA CRAP!!!

Sorry, but it pisses me off everytime when I had to remember what happened at those (more than one!) dealers before. God damn it!
Old 06-03-2001, 03:12 PM
Racer

Sorrie to hear that guys , that you guys have problems at the dealership, it's true some dealers are a pain in the ass, i have experienced those they of problems, the bull shit about this and that, when they haven't even went through or trying to find out what is wrong with the car. I had a 99 V6 honda accord with check engine light just came on, took it to the dealer, and they said that it's the gas cap without even looking it up, what i mean by looking it up is , "Using the scan tools that the dealer has and Connecting it to our system , we have a connector in our car, that is the OBD II connector all new car must have, and if we connect the scan tool to the connector, we can pin point exactly what is wrong with the car, then from there they can do the service, I was over at the dealer, and they said um.. you passed the 12,000 miles warranty for service so it will be a $65.00 dollar charge to check what wrong with the car, my Honda Accord only as 20,000 miles on it, it's the dealer that gives the hassle, because it's not hard to hook up the car to the scan tools and find out what's wrong with the car.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:13 PM
Racer

Sorrie to hear that guys , that you guys have problems at the dealership, it's true some dealers are a pain in the ass, i have experienced those type of problems, the bull shit about this and that, when they haven't even went through or trying to find out what is wrong with the car. I had a 99 V6 honda accord with check engine light just came on, took it to the dealer, and they said that it's the gas cap without even looking it up, what i mean by looking it up is , "Using the scan tools that the dealer has and Connecting it to our system , we have a connector in our car, that is the OBD II connector all new car must have, and if we connect the scan tool to the connector, we can pin point exactly what is wrong with the car, then from there they can do the service, I was over at the dealer, and they said um.. you passed the 12,000 miles warranty for service so it will be a $65.00 dollar charge to check what wrong with the car, my Honda Accord only as 20,000 miles on it, it's the dealer that gives the hassle, because it's not hard to hook up the car to the scan tools and find out what's wrong with the car.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:35 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My engine light went on yesterday. First time it goes off. I now have 49k miles on my car. The latest thing I have done to my car is switch to 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic. That was done a week ago. Does any of you guys have 5w-30 synthetic on your cars. Maybe we could find a common thread.

------------------
Old 06-03-2001, 11:43 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Bitium:
My engine light went on yesterday. First time it goes off. I now have 49k miles on my car. The latest thing I have done to my car is switch to 5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic. That was done a week ago. Does any of you guys have 5w-30 synthetic on your cars. Maybe we could find a common thread.

I think that the ECU logs the cause of the check engine light whenever it comes on. Next time you bring it to the dealer, insist on looking at the ECU logs to discover what's going on.

I had the light go on once in my 97 Accord LXV6, and I asked to look at the log--it was a misfired cylinder. I noticed earlier that there was a puff of smoke when I started my car, and that's when the light came on. Problem explained.

To all the owners having difficulties with the dealers: go to a different dealer. Call Honda to complain. Honda is very picky about their dealers.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:06 AM
Pro

Around two weeks ago, I took my car back and they replaced my ECU. So far, the light has stayed off.