Canover air install on a 2000 TL!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 03:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canover air install on a 2000 TL!

You guys might remember me from this thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80991 where I put AirLift Air Struts on a 2002 TL-S.

Well Im at it again, but this time with Canovers on a 2000 TL with a Lexus front end. In case youre not familiar with Canovers, they are air cylinders from Japan, with adjustable mounts, and adjustable valving so you can set how soft or hard they ride. They are very good quality, but there are some fitment issues, as with most aftermarket parts. The rears fit ok but needed 3 shims per side on the bottom to take up space. The fronts fit on top as well, but the valley in the mount did not line up with the bolt in the fork, so I had to machine that out. Sorry, no pics. Another big issue is that the spindles sit on the sides of the cans when aired out, and Im not happy with that at all. I moved the brake line bracket down and machined out the back of the spindle as much as possible for the time being. Here are some pics:

They come with accumulators to increase the volume in the cylinders, resulting in a better ride and lower operating pressure. Heres where I mounted the front ones behind the bumper..

By request, everything else was mounted in the spare tire comparment, including 8 ART valves, two 3 gallon tanks on a bracket I made, and the rear accumulators. The two compressors were mounted on a bracket on the drivers side, and a second battery was added to the car on another homemade bracket on the other side.

Mounted the switches and tank gauge in the cup holder compartment with an aluminum inlay..

And of course, here are the finished pics:

[b]Any of the these images can be had in 1280x960 high res by emailing dave@afterhoursfabrication.com. And of course, the full build of the car can be seen in the bagged gallery at www.afterhoursfabrication.com and read about HERE. Lemme know what you think.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice

wow nice how mcuh did it cost for the cyclinder i''m planing to change my front ones , looks good , how you like the ride?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:20 PM
10th Gear

The ride is good, not harsh like other cylinders, but thats mostly attributed to the accumulators. Im not sure how much they cost because the dude gave them to me to install, but I was told it was like $3000 for the cylinders and compressors.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

holy fawekkkkkk....i think i just creamed. how much did the gs front end conversion cost? the car looks INCREDIBLE!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Awesome front end. How's the ride quality?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced

hornda on this board also has Can Overs...they are one of the more expesive air rides...but the quality is AWESOME.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro

Looking good, looking real good!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Banned

that is njzprettyboy's TL. very nice install!! i wasnt aware you would have to cut. arent they designed specifically for the TL? i could of sworn they were. also, it only has 4 switches? thats kinda weak. but that is a bad ass air ride system nevertheless.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
10th Gear

How is four switches weak? Thats all you need, one for each corner, and you can do the combos with your fingers. And it looks cleaner. Besides, well probably be installing a PS2 controller to boot.

Yes theyre supposed to be made to bolt onto the TL, but like I said, they sorta kinda fit, and maybe the spindle wouldnt hit if youre running 15" lo pros, but who does that? A lot of aftermarket stuff is 'supposed' to fit, but a lot of it doesnt. Ride quality is good, comparable to the coilovers that came out, not too harsh but certainly not soft like a caddy or something..

Thanks fellas.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Dave rocks...great guy, knows his shit....if you need to install suspension, and are in central NJ, and want to pay a fair price...contact him...he already did 3 TLs, so he def. knows what he is doing. He just installed my old teins in my best friends 02 TL, with no complaints. As far as the spindle hitting, I am trying to resolve that with kiyoshis, but looks like it will require some fabricating on Daves end. The trunk is BEAUTIFUL, but the car is back at streeteffectz getting the system put back in and finishing up some more loose ends...i should hope to have a very nice pciture thread for you guys this weekend. As for ride quality...its ridiculously nice. I honestly cant tell much of a difference from the TEIN that came out...as long as you are in the right range of height. NO POPPING or any other funny noises. The wheels tuck very nicely...and they ARE an 18 by 8.5" wide rim, with a 45 offset. I am beginnning to think that they were 45s, and than machined out a few mm, because they fit almost perfectly. The fenders did not have to be rolled, just the bumper tab trimmed.

Pricing for the kit alone was low 3K..contact kiyoshis for exact pricing. That did not include vavles or tanks. As far as install and other parts...give Dave a shout...should run you anywhere from 2-3K more, depending on how custom you would like to go.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Cruisin'

I see this car on the regular....the front end is sick...the trunk is hot....and now that NjZprettyboy put that suspension on ...all i gotta say is DAMN......keep it up...Im next watch out
Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 AM
10th Gear

Thanks njz, bring that piece by when the stereo is in. I just hope they dont mess with my install!

As for the price, youre looking at like $700-1500, depending on what you want. His was a lil over $2k because I supplied the ART valves ($700) and tanks + other misc wiring bits for the dual battery.

memphis give me a shout when youre ready, a typical air strut install would run you under $3k for everything.

Oh ya I love
Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
booooo

well well well, looks like pretty boy is at it again. This car has seen more tranfermations that Michael Jacksons face! But for the better... good luck C with all the other shit you plan on doing....so whats next?