A/C is just not cold enough

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002 | 12:04 PM
Advanced

A/C is just not cold enough

Has anyone else noticed that the A/C in the TL is not so cold? I have an '03 TL-S with 2,500 miles on it and it's been pretty warm here in NY lately. Yesterday I was driving and the temp was set to 61 degrees and it was still struggling to keep the car cool. My friend has an '01 Maxima and his A/C was colder then mine set at 70 degrees. Is there any type of recall on this? Another friend with an MDX said that he took his in for an A/C repair because he had a similar complaint and they replaced some hose. Thanks in advance for the input.

Donny
Old 07-19-2002 | 12:09 PM
Racer

Don't know about any recalls but my AC works great here in hot & sunny South Florida, you might want to have it checked.

I have noticed that if I mess with the recirculate and auto buttons I get varying outcomes so you might want to try different combos with those buttons.
Old 07-19-2002 | 12:27 PM
Instructor

Get it checked ou

There isn't any specific AC problems in acura TL's per se that I am aware of. However, it is entirely possible that something is not quite hooked up correctly. I personally know someone whose AC was over charged at the factory, and as a result the AC could barely blow any cool air at all. Perhaps a valve is loose? Could be a leak. A leak would explain why your cabin isn't getting cool. Easy enough to get it checked out.
Old 07-19-2002 | 12:35 PM
Pro

The AC on my 2003 TL-S works just fine, just rounding 3000 miles on it. I would have your dealer check it out.
Old 07-19-2002 | 12:47 PM
Racer

mine works fine too, and it has been hot as **** down here lately...

get your windows tinted if they are not already tinted as well. i believe it helps a great deal.....
Old 07-19-2002 | 01:15 PM
Racer

My windows are tinted and my '03 TL-S still has me sweating at 60! I have the same problem as you do, maybe it's just the north east
Old 07-19-2002 | 01:22 PM
Advanced

When my car has been sitting on the hot sun for a while, it takes a while for the A/C to kick in.... but i think that's normal. Just turn on the engine and roll down the windows and turn the A/C off. Wait outside for about 5 minutes and start driving... the more you drive the cooler it will start to get.... i may be VERY wrong... if so my apologies in advance.
Old 07-19-2002 | 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by BadAzzS
My windows are tinted and my '03 TL-S still has me sweating at 60! I have the same problem as you do, maybe it's just the north east
Nope, can't be the Northeast b/c mine works normal. Even when it's in the sun all day at work I get in the car, turn on the AC to about 68 degrees at about 1/4 powers and it cools me down almost immediately. It does continue to get cooler as the car warms up, but it's pretty cool to begin with.....
Old 07-19-2002 | 02:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean

Nope, can't be the Northeast b/c mine works normal. Even when it's in the sun all day at work I get in the car, turn on the AC to about 68 degrees at about 1/4 powers and it cools me down almost immediately. It does continue to get cooler as the car warms up, but it's pretty cool to begin with.....
agreed, I am in the wash d.c. area and it's hot and humid here. AC works fine. Like I said before, it's hit or miss with AC units, and on top of that it is not uncommon to have your AC serviced.
Old 07-19-2002 | 02:18 PM
Instructor

My AC works very well. I wake up in the morning, get out of the shower and while I am eating breakfast I hit my remote start and S-Windows on my alarm and by the time I get to my car its freezing!!!I love it!!! The best investment I have made on a car!
Old 07-19-2002 | 02:41 PM
O.G.

I have a 99 TL with over 64,000 miles and my AC works great. Sometimes I even have to turn it off cause it gets too cold.
Old 07-19-2002 | 03:05 PM
Racer

The AC works great in my 2002 TLS - black with black interior, no problems cooling the car down even on the hottest of days.
Old 07-19-2002 | 05:59 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I bought my TL in california and it was cold as alaska. I drove the car to arizona and it was not cold. I went to auto zone and bought an A/C recharge kit and did the rechagre myself. It was easy and only took about 2 or 3 minutes.
AFTER THAT IT WAS DAMN COLD!!!! you have to recharge the A/C with the car running I found out.

I think you just need to recharge the A/C and it probably couldn't hurt to put some leak sealer in there to make sure it doesn't leak again.
Old 07-19-2002 | 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Instead of recharging it yourself take it to the dealer under warranty. My car is just fine in NYC, and I too have to turn it down because it blows too cold. I do have 35% tints all around though. I usually have it set to around 70-71 degrees, on a few times down to 66. Never lower.

You may be low, but you can also be too high. Happened to my uncle with his new Max. They actually had to empty it a bit and it worked just fine again. Take it to the dealer.
Old 07-19-2002 | 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Donny it must be your car. I have 3250 on my Type-S and everything is fine. Even when the car sits in the sun for a while it takes seconds for it to blow out cold air.

Btw, I still want to meet up to check out your strobes, I was really busy for the past 2 months. I still have your e-mail somewhere. I hope we can work something out.

Go to the dealer.
Old 07-19-2002 | 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

My A/C works great on my 2000TL as it has done for the over the last 2years. I use mine alot because of allergies I almost never have the windows down when driving. I do open the sunroof to vent. It must be your car take it back to the dealer. The A/C in the TL is better than most other cars. You have a 2003 are you sure you are working the A/C in the proper manner?
#1 MAKE SURE ALL VENTS ARE OPEN IN THE CAR
#2 SET THE TEMP DOWN TO LOWEST 60
#3 PUSH YELLOW REC BUTTON
#4 SET FAN SPEED TO HIGHEST SETTING 5
#5 AFTER CAR COOLS DOWN PUSH YELLOW REC BUTTON BACK TO FRESH AIR MODE.
If your butt does not almost freeze in your car there is something wrong with your A/C.
Old 07-20-2002 | 02:41 AM
Pro

Step #5, you don't press the yellow rec button to get fresh air.
If you want it to be cold, you keep it on recirculate. The system recirculates the cool air instead of the warmer air from outside
Old 07-20-2002 | 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
Step #5, you don't press the yellow rec button to get fresh air.
If you want it to be cold, you keep it on recirculate. The system recirculates the cool air instead of the warmer air from outside
I had to look at my post again to make sure I was correct AcuraTLFan.
I am correct after the car cools down push REC yellow light on the light will go off & its back to the fresh air mode. You don't want to keep it in the REC mode for long periods of time this is how that bacteria ordor get in the system.
Old 07-21-2002 | 12:26 PM
On the way!

Remember that the speed of your car (at least when getting in a hot car) can affect how quickly it cools down.

When you're standing still, or driving at very slow speeds, the A/C relies entirely on the fans in front to pull air through the condenser (remove the heat from the system). If you're driving at faster speeds, the volume of air going through the condenser is greater, and the system sheds heat better.

Once the car cools down a little, the system has plenty of capacity to keep it cool - regardless of speed.

I guess this is just one more reason to drive fast!
Old 07-21-2002 | 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

First you should make sure all your vents are open.

Two i keep mine blowing out of the main vents on the dash then switch to dash n foot after it gets cold to maintain the temp.

Three make sure it is on re-circulate

Four if your car has been baking in the sun open all your windows
and drive for a minute to let all the hott traped air to escape first.

Five if all the above fail take it to the dealer to see if there is a problem with the ac system.
Old 07-21-2002 | 09:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by FTM-1
I am correct after the car cools down push REC yellow light on the light will go off & its back to the fresh air mode. You don't want to keep it in the REC mode for long periods of time this is how that bacteria ordor get in the system.
I keep mine on recirc all the time and it's fine, no odor (unless you have some really smelly feet in the car).

If I read your logic correctly I think you are mistaken. If the car has been sitting in the sun with the windows up, it works best to roll your windows down (as was stated) and/or run the A/C without the recirc button lit. This way you draw in outside air. This is actually better because the outside air is actually cooler than the air inside your car for a period of time until the A/C catches up.

Example: My dark blue Suburban gets up to about 140 degrees inside on a 90 degree day after sitting outside for awhile. Most A/C systems are only good for about a 40 degree differential in temperature (subtract temp vent exit from temp blower input). Any system works much better & quicker trying to cool down 90 degree air (90-40=50) than 140 degree air (140-40=100). Once you get the inside/outside temps equal you can use the air on recirculate or whatever.

Recirculate is actually more efficient because you are cooling already cooled air and therefore the A/C does not need to run as much. This means less strain on the engine and other A/C components. It should also mean slightly better mileage as a result.
Old 07-22-2002 | 01:13 AM
eCo
Advanced

Anyone know if our car has a variable displacement a/c compressor? It seems like it to me. The car seems to lag more at high cooling demand, vs. low demand.
If so, then a higher thermostat setting will give you noticeably better mileage.

eCo
Old 07-22-2002 | 09:47 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Our cars just dont get as cold as most American cars for some reason. Neither My Maxima or TLS gets as cold as my sisters Seville and it has been 95 degrees here in Dallas, their is a difference that you can notice between them.
Old 07-22-2002 | 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Our cars just dont get as cold as most American cars for some reason. Neither My Maxima or TLS gets as cold as my sisters Seville and it has been 95 degrees here in Dallas, their is a difference that you can notice between them.
What year seville was it ?......could it have something to do with the v8 ?......How big is the cabin as compared to the other cars ?
Old 07-22-2002 | 01:04 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Originally posted by NsX Pilot

What year seville was it ?......could it have something to do with the v8 ?......How big is the cabin as compared to the other cars ?
Its a 2000 and its larger t han our cars. I dont think the motor size has anything to do with it.
Old 07-22-2002 | 09:53 PM
Cruisin'

My girl friend said the A/C doesn't work very well, but I never noticed it, but I haven't been able to drive my car for a month now, b/c they stole the headlights and did $5400 in damage taking them
Old 07-23-2002 | 12:43 AM
Racer

Re: A/C is just not cold enough

Originally posted by hatzq68
Another friend with an MDX said that he took his in for an A/C repair because he had a similar complaint and they replaced some hose. Thanks in advance for the input.

Donny
I had a "hose" problem in my CLS. My car wouldn't heat or cool correctly, so I took it to the dealer. Of course they couldn't find anything, so I fixed it myself. You know that little grille by the iginition key, on the dash? The temperature sensor is located just behind that grille. There is a plastic tube hooked to the back of the sensor, called an aspirator tube. The other end of the tube is connected to the vent system. As your climate control is operating the vent system "sucks" air through the grille, through the aspirator tube, thus pulling the cabin air by the sensor.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my aspirator tube was never connected to the vent system, at the factory. So, the temperature sensor wasn't reading the temperature of air being "drawn" past it, but simply whatever air was right around it.

This could be your problem.
Old 07-23-2002 | 11:06 AM
Drifting

recirculate button

I have a black/black 2002 TLS and the AC cools the car down ina few minutes even on a hot sunny day. I've seen people on this forum state that you will get odor's from the AC if you keep the button on recirculate all the time and I never do. I live in a very humid area and if you keep the system in the normal mode all the time the AC is always pulling hot humid air from outside to cool the interior. This is OK for fresh air but in a humid area like central PA the extra humidity has to be removed by the AC coil and the water drips outside the car. This extra moisture is MORE likely to cause a problem than the lack of fresh air. I still use the normal (fresh air) mode if the air outside is "fresh" but not on a hot sticky smoggy day. That just makes the AC work harder to cool the car. The air in the car smells fresh and still has the "new car smell" after 14 months. Try it and see. My AC stays on recirculate most of the summer with no problems.
Old 07-23-2002 | 08:00 PM
Pro

Ok, below is the Number One reason why an otherwise perfectly operating car AC may not seem to be cooling the car enough - everyone ready? :-)

CLOSE YOUR SUNROOF COVER.

Really. It makes a HUGE difference, especially on a 95+ degree muggy day.

I had the AC on my Saab checked over and over again until I finally started doing this - nice ice cold AC ever since.

Keep in mind that most AC systems are only really designed to lower the temperature by about 25-30 degrees compared to what's outside, otherwise the windows would condense and fog like crazy.

If you have the glass cover open and the sun beating down inside your car, your AC really needs to struggle to keep up.

If it's nearing 100 degrees outside, that means even on the best setting your car will only cool down to around 70-75 degrees, which may seem warm to some people.

If you doubt this, note how fast and how hot your car warms up inside when you run into a store with the cover open and the sun beating down inside your car - then time it and do the same when its closed.
Old 07-23-2002 | 08:11 PM
Advanced

i noticed that leaving the windows down with the ac off gets rid of the sweating i think that the ac gets me sweatign cuz when my windows are down i dont sweat at all i dunno if this juss me, try it sometime