Brights only?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brights only?

OK, I've searched on this topic, to no avail...

I've seen a couple of TL-Ses this week driving using the high beams only - no low (HID) beams, and no fogs. I've tried doing this via switches, and was unable to duplicate. My guess is that they are pulling the fuse for the low beams.

Has anyone else seen this? And why would someone want to do this, since HIDs do such a great job of illuminating the road? My guess is that they grew tired of people flashing their high beams at them (although I have only experienced that once in the 3.5 months that I've had my TL-S).
Old 11-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe they were the Canadian model TL's which require Day Time Running Lights I believe.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Advanced

The cars you saw were most definitely Canadian spec TL's with the DRL's. . . They use the high beam lamps at low intensity. . .
Old 11-14-2002, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is Canadian TLs. We have DRL using high beams at lower power. Nothing fancy really.

Tatewaki
Old 11-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Instructor

It's possible that they were Canadian TLs - I live less than two hours from the border. However, one was being driven by someone who lives in the same neighborhood - I'll ask him if he managed to score a Canadian "import" to save a few $$$.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Now that I think about it, is it possible to "mod" a US-spec TL for DRLs? During the winter, we get lots of dark, drizzly days here in the Pacific Northwest, and I usually turn on my HIDs during the day for visibility purposes. DRLs would fit the bill quite nicely for this purpose.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:35 AM
Racer

DRL uses the High beam at a lower wattage or voltage.
The purpose of DRL in Canada is not to let the drivers see better the road but help the traffic or pedestrians to see a vehicule when it is ON or MOVING.

Believe me, at night I can barely see the road only with DRL if my HID is not ON.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:27 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by egilsrud
Now that I think about it, is it possible to "mod" a US-spec TL for DRLs? During the winter, we get lots of dark, drizzly days here in the Pacific Northwest, and I usually turn on my HIDs during the day for visibility purposes. DRLs would fit the bill quite nicely for this purpose.
and it's cheaper to buy a canadian car~
Old 11-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Davidas
DRL uses the High beam at a lower wattage or voltage.
The purpose of DRL in Canada is not to let the drivers see better the road but help the traffic or pedestrians to see a vehicule when it is ON or MOVING.

Believe me, at night I can barely see the road only with DRL if my HID is not ON.
That's exactly why I think DRL would fit the bill nicely for me: I currently use my low beams during the day - so that other vehicles/pedestrians can see me. But the low beams are a bit overkill for this purpose.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Be careful on buying a Canadian spec car and using it in the US, it is known as gray marketing. Honda frowns on that and has been known to invalidate the warranty on the car.
Not sure how prevelant it is with TL's but the Honda Odyssey (sp?) minivan is in such high demand in the States that people are going over the border to buy the cars and finding out that Honda won't honor the warranties.

Be very careful.
http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/WebX?7@65.WCu0aBmIuxH^2@.ee93eaa/1577

You need to cut and past the URL into a new browser window if you want to read the thread.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you want DRL, just leave your light on ALL the time...when you get out, just press the LOCK button and after 10 secs, your lights will turn off automatically...so everytime, day or night, you start your car, light will always be on like DRL but only low beam HID...looks 10x better than yellow, low wattage high beam IMO.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TypeSontheProwl
Be careful on buying a Canadian spec car and using it in the US, it is known as gray marketing. Honda frowns on that and has been known to invalidate the warranty on the car.
Not sure how prevelant it is with TL's but the Honda Odyssey (sp?) minivan is in such high demand in the States that people are going over the border to buy the cars and finding out that Honda won't honor the warranties.

Be very careful.
http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/WebX?7@65.WCu0aBmIuxH^2@.ee93eaa/1577

You need to cut and past the URL into a new browser window if you want to read the thread.
Good point. Before I purchased my new TL-S I scoped out used ones in the classifieds. A Canadian TL-S with 5000 miles (not kms) was offered at a very good price (no navi, of course). I checked out the car, and to the dealer's credit he told me up front that Acura would not honor the warranty. He offered to sell me a warranty (don't remember the details) for $1400. Needless to say, I passed on the vehicle. I saw the Edmund's article shortly thereafter.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by randomwalk101
If you want DRL, just leave your light on ALL the time...when you get out, just press the LOCK button and after 10 secs, your lights will turn off automatically...so everytime, day or night, you start your car, light will always be on like DRL but only low beam HID...looks 10x better than yellow, low wattage high beam IMO.
Sorry random, gotta disagree with you on this one. I think DRLs are superior to low beams UNDER THE APPROPRIATE CONDITIONS (i.e., daytime). The high beams on low wattage look kinda cool (in my opinion, of course).

Also, turning on lights has an annoying side effect on navi brightness - if you set it at "Auto" then then screen dims when the lights are on. As a result I have to manually adjust it depending upon the ambient lighting conditions.

That being said, I do tend to drive with my lows (and fogs) on during the day, unless it's sunny and bright. And I do leave the lights on when I leave the car...if for no other reason than to see the HIDs come on when I unlock it from a distance!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You could always install a City Lights kit. They're not expensive... and as long as you don't get a ricey (or illegal color)... they look good. Go with a yellow or white and you'll be all set!!
Old 11-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by randomwalk101
not a bad idea...but ur bulb will go out faster...
and HID doesn't work under bright sunshine~

yellow high beam works better under daylight
Old 11-15-2002, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by egilsrud
Check the archives with the search button. I believe someone looked in to this and found out it would require a major rewiring on the American car.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Racer

Its amazing how you always want want you can't have...

The DRL's are always on unless you have your parking brake on or you turn on the HID's.

After I rewired my fogs I always say it would cooler if those DAMN DRLS wernt on...

ohhh! well..
Old 11-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run with my low beams on all the time on my 2000TL & have done so since day one of ownership almost 3years now. I had checked into the DRL on a U.S. TL at the dealership a few years ago. They told me it could not be done without major re wire.
They had a retro DRL kit for other older ACURA cars from AC DELCO but I was told it would not work on my car. The service maneger said they tried it on an RL but had problems with the auto off lights.