Brake Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Brake Options

What are the options for brake upgrades. I need to buy new rotors and pads, so I wanted to see what else I could do.

I read about the big break kits. Do they offer any performance advantages, or are they just for aesthetics?

I also read about the legend calipers. Are they the best calipers to upgrade to?

As it stands, I was just thinking of getting XLR8's AZine brake package for the drilled/slotted rotors with pads. They are $430 for front and read. Is that a good deal?

I wanted to upgrade the calipers especially, since I want to minimize rotor warping.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
calipers are NOT the the cause of rotor warping

1995 Legend LS-C calipers are way better than our TL caliper
and cost ranges from 55-75$ each depending on maker- all are rebuilt

SS lines are a great idea if you like to play hard- repeated hard braking, 100-125$
they dont swell under pressure like the rubber lines do

I love my RacingBrake brand rotors and pads,
slotted 1 piece rotor and ET500 pads would be my suggestion for most drivers
ET300 pads are great if mom/wife drives it in town a lot, no noise ever from them and very low dust factor,
They have awesome stopping power when called upon for that 80 mph oops traffic is stopped ahead of,,

the ET500 pad is for the more spirited type driver who late brakes into the corner, and has fun with the car ~when the wife is away~
See our vendor MrHeelToe for them, build your own package with rotor pad lines- whatever you want, make sure to ck his post on here for discount code--was acurazinerocks but may have changed

Excelerates brake deals are very good too, cant go wrong with brembo blank rotors and numerous pad options for them, plus legend calipers

everyone has their own like or dislike on slotted and drilled.
If it rains a lot where you live- drilled are good, otherwise just bling and noise from the holes

slotted are bling for the most part, but serve an important function if you do like to get the brakes hot, they allow pad outgassing an escape path,
that gas pressure can build up enough to literally push the pads away from the rotor- with your foot hard on the pedal!!

BBK, if you autocross race the car go for the real 4 or 6 pot/piston calipers that squeeze the rotor from both sides, Wilwood are good-see excelerate for them
Many parts will have to be changed to allow room for all the larger parts, rotors,,may need different rims too- clearance issue,,
see why $150 for legend parts are a score?
the parts store is even happy to get TL calipers back as the `core`
they can rebuild it and have a larger market of buyers,,it fits decades of honda cars,,while the specific size dual pistons used in the 95lsc caliper,,,a very small market of buyers

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
theres a few options.. you can just upgrade rotors pads and SS lines and you'll see a huge braking improvement along with better pedal feel!!

To take it a step further you could look into upgrading calipers also.. the cheaper option would be to grab a pair of legend calipers (tons of threads with all the info/part numbers) Others have used the calipers off the RL's to basically make an OEM looking BBK.. but it involves bigger 350z rotors and custom mounting brackets (lots of threads in CL section discussing this swap!!)

Lastly if you've got the money to blow, you could just grab a BBK from rotora or wilwood... etc. They're expensive, but look pretty and offer top of the line braking performance... Guess it all comes down to what your looking to spend and what you need performance wise
Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

for the engineer types who cant figure out how 2 smaller pistons are better than one larger, based on math and square footage,,,the contact area is not the full face of the `cylinder`
Its the other- open end that makes the contact,
the thin top edge of a glass is a good example
Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
i love my legend calipers and SS lines!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Unregistered Member

Good info here. Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to go for XLR8's package.

If I decide to get the legend calipers, will the pads and rotors from the package work with the new calipers? From what I have read, the calipers are direct bolt on (just switch left and right), and the TL pads and rotors will still work.

How hard is the install for the legend calipers? Anyone have a part number? I couldn't that.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

legend calipers use TL rotors TL pads and TL mounting bracket for the caliper

If you can bleed brakes you can change calipers

Someone posted the number for `bare` calipers- but you dont get new `soft parts` with that

I used raybestos frc10627 and frc10628
those came with new brackets, new bolts and new slider clips
throw the brackets away after removing the new bolts and other parts we want off it

also dispose of the large center clip that goes inside caliper to push pads down
NOT needed on TL, and might be bent -causing rub with rotor edge = take apart and remove
Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I brought brake package from XLR8 back in october. Very happy with the package. Braking is butter smooth!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great, extremely excited to see the great info in this thread. My front rotors are warped on the 03 TL-S I recently purchased and was trying to find a "reasonably" price option for improved performance. Now the trick, lets see if we can get the wife talked into not freaking out when she sees the bill.....
Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Indeed that XLR8's brakes are good but in the OP he said they were drilled. I went to the site and it only showed ones that were slotted. Are they indeed both?
Cuz that would look pretty cool to me. And do you know if they are a good idea to get such high cooling brakes in Michigan(really cold(all the time))
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Love my Spoon calipers. Esp since I'm the only 2g on here with them lol
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Unregistered Member

I'm glad other ppl are getting info from this thread too.

Originally Posted by Gabru678
Indeed that XLR8's brakes are good but in the OP he said they were drilled. I went to the site and it only showed ones that were slotted. Are they indeed both?
Cuz that would look pretty cool to me. And do you know if they are a good idea to get such high cooling brakes in Michigan(really cold(all the time))
XLR8 has two options. The package with drilled + slotted is about 40 dollars more than the package with just the slots. I just clicked the advertisement on the top of the page. I'm willing to bet the smart ad system will put his AZine brake package ad for this thread.

The brakes can get HOT. To the point where whether isn't going to keep them cool. I wouldn't factor whether into the decision. Also, the drills and slots channel away gas and water.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Moe T

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 02type-s
Love my Spoon calipers. Esp since I'm the only 2g on here with them lol
So what lol, how much does that swap run anyway? More expensive then a big brake kit right?