Beefing up an auto Tranny? how/where/how much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Phesto
damn, thats what i thought.......... I think i still will go with the comptech it must have some benefit....... thanks
You can pick 1 up same quality for alot less than the comptech brand with out having any differences. Sure it will help keep the fluid cooler, BUt it wont help the 3rd gear clutchpack failure problem.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man this sucks so nothing can be done to save these trannies? Man I love my TL-S just hit 71k and I have not noticed problems but after reading all of the stuff here I am scared.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
A cooler won't prevent the problem, but for $40 it can't hurt.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
This maybe a repost but

As I understand it the clutches slip, overheat and fall apart and it's the broken fragments that is causing the tranny to fail So keep the clutchs cool and filter out the particles of clutch lining. In V8 land, a shift kit raises the line pressure and gives it a firmer, more positive shift, less sliping, it could even be adjusted to shift so hard that it'll chirp the tires at half throttle This is what I had on my Camaro http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...cat=21&pid=219 It is aslo known to save the clutches because there is less slipping and therefore less heat. Someone in the tranny industry should be able figure out a way to shift faster with less slippage.

And why do our trannys just have a screen and not a replacable filter like other cars? Could adding a filter help keep the clutch lining particles from destroying the tranny? Where would you put it to be most effective?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by RooEng
This maybe a repost but

As I understand it the clutches slip, overheat and fall apart and it's the broken fragments that is causing the tranny to fail So keep the clutchs cool and filter out the particles of clutch lining. In V8 land, a shift kit raises the line pressure and gives it a firmer, more positive shift, less sliping, it could even be adjusted to shift so hard that it'll chirp the tires at half throttle This is what I had on my Camaro http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...cat=21&pid=219 It is aslo known to save the clutches because there is less slipping and therefore less heat. Someone in the tranny industry should be able figure out a way to shift faster with less slippage.

And why do our trannys just have a screen and not a replacable filter like other cars? Could adding a filter help keep the clutch lining particles from destroying the tranny? Where would you put it to be most effective?
No. it isnt a problem of particles and shift speed, (honda already addressed that) its the drum that the clutch plates are housed in. There is inadiquit fluid cooling to that area which inturn causes heat and the wear and tear. Its a DESIGN issue and nothing other than redesigned parts will fix it (which hopefully the new parts that have come out do. ive seen the drum, clutchplates and the shaft and they are different in design. Only time will tell. Ive got 13k on the new designed parts, so far so good (really knocking on wood here)

Remember, the tranny itself isnt breaking. only the 3rd gear clutch packs have wear issues. the rest of the tranny is fine
Old 01-07-2006, 03:19 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level10

A few years ago, I swapped an Integra B18B and 4spd auto tranny into my del Sol. First one to do it, as far as I know. An Acura mechanic helped me with the wiring of the auto-tranny on the weekends. It was an awesome setup, I still wish I had it... But the horsepower bug bit me, and I had to go turbo. The power was awesome, outperforming many V8s, but the 1st tranny only last 2 months. I tried again, again only a few months. When the tranny went out, it wouldn't "catch" into gear, it was like being in neutral. Then I ordered the Level10 torque converted and their "tranny kit" and had a shop do the rebuild. The guy at the shop told me their "tranny kit" was nothing special, he could have gotten the same parts for cheaper locally. Anyway, once again, the tranny only lasted a few weeks (I also had a tranny cooler installed, a nice one from Sweden), and no warranty since they knew I had the turbo (rather obvious). I shipped the converter back to Level10 for inspection, of course they said it was fine. After all that, I gave up and swapped to 5spd and pushed about 350whp with a built B18B. Hella nice setup, mid 13's easy in the quarter with good tires, but I wanted it to be auto just to be different (while automatic, the best I ever got was low 14's). I'm not a believer in Level10, and I'm not a believer in "built" Acura auto transmissions. I lost a ton of $$$ with my automatic tranny experiment It irritated me a lot, because there are a ton of fast Mustang automatics. A strong automatic transmission CAN be built (there are fast Mustang auto's, etc), but I guess Honda doesn't spend much on automatic tranny R&D...