99 TL considering straight up J32A1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TL considering straight up J32A1 swap

I'd appreciate any and all advice, but first a little background info. I've had my stock 99 TL for almost 3 years now and put almost 100k miles on it in that time (odometer reads 211,000 miles today). It's just a commuter car for me, about 130 miles round trip each day. It's overdue for a timing belt, has been experiencing cooling issues lately (no over heats but the temps seem to randomly increase), A/C evaporator randomly freezes (air blows VERY cold but air flow slows to a trickle in the car...could be expansion valve, could be compressor?), it leaks oil from between the engine and tranny (it's been like this since I bought it, has never gotten worse and leaks less than 1/4 qt between oil changes...thought it was main seal, but after 100k miles, maybe not). The list goes on but these are the highlights.

Anyway, the list of things this car needs is getting long and I'm considering just throwing a JDM engine at it instead of throwing good money at a tired motor. I've read through many, many post here but I'm constantly side tracked by threads of many symptoms matching my many problems, so I apologize for asking a question that's probably already been asked.

These JDM motors I see on ebay and elsewhere, complete with A/C, PS pump, TB, manifolds, etc., can I really just drop that in my TL and go? Prices between $500 to $1000 almost seem a little too good to be true. They claim "approx 40,000 miles"...really? could it be?

I plan on doing the work myself. While I'm not a car mechanic, I AM an aircraft mechanic by trade (not that that means anything other than I have a mechanical inclination and a good set of tools). Is this a job I can get done in 3 days...the car is a commuter car and therefore I NEED it to commute.

Is there a list of parts that should automatically be changed when swapping a motor, i.e. motor mounts, etc?

Ideally, what I'd like to do is purchase the engine and have all of the supporting parts I'd need here to get the job done in as short a time as possible and with as few trips to the parts store as possible. And after a weekend motor swap, have my old TL resume it's mundane life of reliably commuting me back and forth to work.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

...and BTW, I know this is my first post, but I've been a member here for almost 3 years (as long as I've owned my TL) and have found this site a tremendous resource, so thanks a lot for that!

--Greg
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The only "jdm" motor for these cars would be a downgrade. You can get a j32a1 all over the place from local salvage yards. Finding lower mileage may be tricky but its doable. I picked up a J32A2 with 30k for 800. As for the swap, its pretty easy and the thing that is probably the most important to change would be the timing belt. Motor would be out and it would be the best time to change it. If your mounts are original i would replace the mounts as well as it would be VERY easy with the motor out.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Greg, welcome to the forum. I shared your sentiments toward being an aircraft mechanic but not so keen on auto mechanics. I was an engine mechanic on the E-2C Hawkeye in the Navy for four years and I'm still learning more and more about the engines that run in our cars. Totally different from the gas turbine engines I'm used to working on, but I agree, it does help you on hand with basic tool knowledge and even some cheater tips.

Not sure about your A/C issues, but it sounds like your rear main seal is gone. $6 part that can cost you up to a $1000 in labor.

You could gain some HP and get a j32a2 but you'd have to get a different ECU and you'd have to mess with other little things.

When you have your power train out, inspect your transmission. Check for bolts that are painted blue. If they are, you're transmission has been replaced and you might be good. If not, you're lucky you've gotten this far without problems lol

Best of luck!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the quick replies!

JDM - As far as the JDM being a downgrade, I'm not too concerned about it being an upgrade as far as performance goes. In fact, if anything, I'd rather an increase in MPG rather than a bump in power. The only reason I was considering JDM was they seem readily available and usually have all the components included.

Rear main seal - When I bought the car and saw the oil leak, I thought it was a main seal too. It was a great bargaining chip on the final price. Back then I hoped to get a few miles out if it before it needed changed. However, you'd think that after 100k miles it would have gotten worse, but no. To be completely honest, I put so many miles on the car and they're all highway miles, I go 10k miles between oil changes, and it never leaks more than a 1/4 qt in that many miles.

Transmission - The transmission has been bullet proof so far. It's an earlier 4-speed and as far as I know, it's original, but when/if I take the car apart I'll look for the blue bolts.

I guess the main reason for considering a motor swap is the timing belt/water pump on one end, the possibility of a main seal on the other end, and finally with my coolant temp issues, the fact that I might have head gasket and/or warped head issues looming on the near horizon. If a motor swap is as easy and as inexpensive as my simple mind is trying to convince me that it is, this just might be the quick way to take a Mulligan and ride my TL for another 15k miles...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Originally Posted by gjferg

JDM - As far as the JDM being a downgrade, I'm not too concerned about it being an upgrade as far as performance goes. In fact, if anything, I'd rather an increase in MPG rather than a bump in power. The only reason I was considering JDM was they seem readily available and usually have all the components included.

Rear main seal - When I bought the car and saw the oil leak, I thought it was a main seal too. It was a great bargaining chip on the final price. Back then I hoped to get a few miles out if it before it needed changed. However, you'd think that after 100k miles it would have gotten worse, but no. To be completely honest, I put so many miles on the car and they're all highway miles, I go 10k miles between oil changes, and it never leaks more than a 1/4 qt in that many miles.

Transmission - The transmission has been bullet proof so far. It's an earlier 4-speed and as far as I know, it's original, but when/if I take the car apart I'll look for the blue bolts.

I guess the main reason for considering a motor swap is the timing belt/water pump on one end, the possibility of a main seal on the other end, and finally with my coolant temp issues, the fact that I might have head gasket and/or warped head issues looming on the near horizon. If a motor swap is as easy and as inexpensive as my simple mind is trying to convince me that it is, this just might be the quick way to take a Mulligan and ride my TL for another 15k miles...
USDM J32A1's are more readily available than JDM's for obvious reasons

http://www.car-part.com
http://www.getusedparts.com
etc.

I understand wanting to swap motors for the timing belt/water pump and rear main seal, but like Kris said, he found a killer deal on a low mileage Type-S engine. Just Sayin

You don't have to take anything apart really to see the blueness. They should be on the tips of the bolts exterior of the transmission for the purpose of quick verification. Even if the bolts aren't blue, the transmission could have been replaced, just not at the dealer. I'm glad that's holding out for you, I went 6 speed before my 5AT ever thought about giving me problems (but it did have blue bolts lol).
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by gjferg

Considering the only JDM TL motor is the Honda Inspire 2.5 L J25A V6 it would be a down grade. The 3.2 Where are you finding these "JDM" motors readily available?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would take our Mod's advice and either get another J32 for a relatively faster swap. Just do a few maintenance things on it before hand and once you have time, rip out the tired motor and drop in the fresher motor. Mileage can be increased with proper maintenance and cleaning.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the links. From that first link it seems there are a couple motors around here locally I'm going to look into.

As for the JDM, I guess I was mistaken and thanks for the correction. I was just going from what I remember from my old Del Sol VTEC days and everyone always wanting Acura JDM swaps for Civics. Quickly searching google and ebay, apparently there are sellers out there selling JDM ACURA TL 99-01 J32A VTEC ENGINES.

So let me ask this, the motor in the link above, what is it from? Will it work (relatively easily) in a TL? Should I stay away from something like this and just buy locally? Is it likely that the motor from the link has "approximately 40,000 MILES on it" like advertised?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:29 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Seems legit, but for that price you'd get a j32a2 w/o all the accessories. But it doesn't take much time to swap over your current P/S pump, A/C compressor, and alternator while you have your engine out. You could probably get a decent j32a1 engine for 3-400 w/o the accessories.

the 40000 miles seems legit as most cars in Japan have to pay higher prices on something can't remember, but the deal is that after 40k miles, emissions rise on it so it's better off buying a new car. Then they send the JDM engines over here.

It's your choice. Essentially the same engine, just different tags (USDM)/(JDM)
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

what parts are needed

i stumbled on this thread while looking for info on doing the A2 swap what else is needed other than the computer