6CD in-dash changer jammed?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:18 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CD in-dash changer jammed?!?!?!

hey, my dad's CD changer jammed up in his TL. it reads an error code, and won't eject or change CDs.

i guess this is a common problem, the dealership told him $300+ to send it back to the company that made it, Bose i think.

damn, i could just buy him a new sick aftermarket radio for $300.

i found instructions on how to remove the radio, now does anyone know how to fix it themselves. is there a simple thing i can fix?? does anyone else have this problem, how did you deal with it?

i need help with this, thanks guys
Old 07-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Drifting

cars not under warrenty?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Yeah, if the car's still covered by the factory warranty, then it should be free. Otherwise, it's broken any way; I'd try to get the CD out with a little screwdriver. I took mine in to be replaced, they just got the disc out and did not even tell me I still had a messed up radio. He said, "If it happens again, just put a little screwdriver in there and the CD should just come out". Another thing, it was a particular CD that kept getting stuck, so don't use that one anymore.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

thanks for your help guys, i found a website that services these kinda problems, the estimated $120 for the repair.

http://www.willmanselectronics.com/tl.htm

I going to undertake the project of removing the radio after work today, wish me luck, hope i don't break anything.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Instructor

How'd it go with removing the radio man? Let us know how everything works out...
Old 07-14-2004, 06:26 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
mine jammed once and said it had 6 cds in it when it only had 5. i found the cd trying to come out was holding up on the lip of the opening where it comes out, so i nudged it with the edge of another cd so it would stop hitting the lip. also if you dont actually have 6 cd's in it then put more in until its full and try again. thats what i had to do with mine one time also. good luck man.

SSTS
Old 07-14-2004, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear

removing this POS looks like a PITA

the entire center console needs to be unscrewed and removed, starting 2 screws in the center carpartment. the wood trim pieces snap out, as do the cup holders. the panel under the steering wheel needs to be unscrewed and removed in order to reach the screws for the radio. the gear shifter also needs to be moved in order to remove the radio.

I havn't under taken the process yet, my dad is still debating over what to do.

I found this website, but it asks you to pay $5
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalAcuraTL.htm

I also used the website, this place can service and fix your shit
http://www.willmanselectronics.com/Remtips/tl_rem.htm
Old 07-14-2004, 08:37 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by maxkid84
removing this POS looks like a PITA

the entire center console needs to be unscrewed and removed, starting 2 screws in the center carpartment. the wood trim pieces snap out, as do the cup holders. the panel under the steering wheel needs to be unscrewed and removed in order to reach the screws for the radio. the gear shifter also needs to be moved in order to remove the radio.

I havn't under taken the process yet, my dad is still debating over what to do.

I found this website, but it asks you to pay $5
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalAcuraTL.htm

I also used the website, this place can service and fix your shit
http://www.willmanselectronics.com/Remtips/tl_rem.htm
dude, don't pay a dime. i myself have listed detailed instructions on how to pull the radio, and so have others. those diagrams you seek have also been posted on this forum. just search by my name or search for the diagrams and it will come up. and i promise you when i say it's not so bad. i can do it in about 30 to 45 min. start to finish now.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned

Before trying anything else, make sure you try a couple times to get the discs to eject. Even if it won't do anything, press and hold the ejecct button for 5 seconds. That will force the unit to go into eject mode and try and spit out all six discs. Same with the load button--press and hold for 5 seconds to get it to want to load all six discs. Alternate between the load and the eject button and you just might finally get the stuck one out. This has happened to mine a couple of times and if you're patient and keep trying you just might get it out. So far I've always been able to get a stuck one out doing this. Make sure you have another CD handy so if the door finally opens you can stick it in a little and press down on the edge of the stuck CD--this will help eject it.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Cruisin'

Kick that shit :o
Old 07-15-2004, 05:26 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by PejTL03
Kick that shit :o

haha, yeah. time for the BFH man
Old 07-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by maxkid84
hey, my dad's CD changer jammed up in his TL. it reads an error code, and won't eject or change CDs.

i guess this is a common problem, the dealership told him $300+ to send it back to the company that made it, Bose i think.

damn, i could just buy him a new sick aftermarket radio for $300.

i found instructions on how to remove the radio, now does anyone know how to fix it themselves. is there a simple thing i can fix?? does anyone else have this problem, how did you deal with it?

i need help with this, thanks guys
By any chance are any of those CDs CD-R or CD-RW? I know on my car, people have said to never put labels on them, because when they heat up, they tend to lift, and that's what causes the jam...
Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by avs007
By any chance are any of those CDs CD-R or CD-RW? I know on my car, people have said to never put labels on them, because when they heat up, they tend to lift, and that's what causes the jam...
I stopped using labels on my CD-Rs after I heard this too from the dealer. Still, my CD Changer jammed on a factory original CD. Luckily, the dealer replaced the entire unit under warranty. They don't even try to fix it, they just send the whole unit back to Acura and drop in a new "improved" one. One difference: the new one is a lot louder when it shifts between discs.