3 Magic Wires to Replace Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 3 Magic Wires to Replace Help

I want my car to be electricly optimal. I'm adding a system and maybe fog lights... I have a Navi and a Radar detector.... In a 2000 TL.

So I'm going to replace or add to these wires with 4 guage... I don't know what's in there yet or how they look...

1) from negative battery terminal to chassis of the car
2) from negative battery terminal to engine block
3) from positive battery terminal to alternator w/ an ANL fuse

I hear this can drastically improve the flow of current...

Please let me know what we have stock and if this is an easy diy or how many feet I'll need if anyone has done this
Old 03-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Doc, after looking at the wires, they seem to be 8 guage stock, at least the one that goes right to the chasis is (the one that snaps into the top of the coolent reservoir. But you can see them very easily if you look. There is another one from the tranny to the engine block that seems very easy to upgrade. I will do all for my car pretty soon cause 84k miles has taken its toll on my wires (they look like crap).
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro

Lightbulb

Hit them all with 4 guage
Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
Hit them all with 4 guage
Ya cant hurt, but I think 8 guage would be plenty for sure. 8 guage can handle 600+ watts, so that has sufficient capabilities for the cars operation. Its just that the stock wires have become so coroded over time that the signal flow is very weak - so new fresh 8 guage wires will improve signal flow dramatically
Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, radar dectector doesnt take that much power... maybe the navi takes more but that should be within factory specs. As for fog lights, that probably takes A LOT more power than the NAVI unit. You can just setup a relay harness system and it will bypass the 8 guage wire, simple and probably less than $10 to make. The relay harness will supply the fog lights with power from the battery for better current flow anyway. For this, even 12 or 14 gauge is good enough for just the fog lights. like 10 cents a foot and you wouldnt need more than 20 feet at all.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Pro

Arrow Check this post out

This is what I'm going to do... Just wondered if any of you guys have done it in our TL's?

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...5;t=007801;p=1
Old 03-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Good post. That's definately not professional thought. That Mustang underhood looks horrible. He way overdid the 2 gauge wire runs. Looks like somebody got a garden hose tangled up in his engine. This is an easy task. And pretty cheap to do. But I've seen more customers fox it up than I have seen successful. A shop should charge about $45 bucks to do this. (on most cars)

I've done it to all of my cars. It definately makes a noticeable difference if you have amps and such.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro

Question Where should I go to have it done professionally?

Originally Posted by uncald4
Good post. That's definately not professional thought. That Mustang underhood looks horrible. He way overdid the 2 gauge wire runs. Looks like somebody got a garden hose tangled up in his engine. This is an easy task. And pretty cheap to do. But I've seen more customers fox it up than I have seen successful. A shop should charge about $45 bucks to do this. (on most cars)

I've done it to all of my cars. It definately makes a noticeable difference if you have amps and such.
I could do it but, I'm not a real handy dude... I would take it somewhere for that price...

Where should I take it to have it done?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I could do it but, I'm not a real handy dude... I would take it somewhere for that price...

Where should I take it to have it done?
Take it to a local place with a good reputation. Most of the BIG BOX chains have unexperienced installers. Ask your friends where they've gone. Be sure that you are comfortable leaving your car with them. We get alot of business from customers that left their car in the hands of unexperienced kids at the DOUBLE "B" and the DOUBLE "C". I don't wanna name names.

When it's done it should look clean. Almost factory. $45 bucks should cover labor. A fuse holder will run up to $30. 4 gauge cable should run $15. You should also replace your Battery terminal connectors which cost about $30 each.

I have an Accord in my shop right now from California. I showed the dude my TL under-hood. He spend over $150 just in terminals and cable. The prices above are just for starters. My Civic and TL have gun-metal ground feet. Gun-metal ring terminals. And sweet batt. terminal connectors.

If you got the funds.... Pay for the good shit. If you don't wanna spend that much.... The basics will still improve current flow and help with quick charge and discharge. Either way you are doing a good thing. Have fun man.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I'm going to do... Just wondered if any of you guys have done it in our TL's?

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...5;t=007801;p=1

You are going down the right path, even though I don't have a giant system, this really improve the all around performance of the electrical system, including radio reception, as well as quicker throttle response. Note, I also replace the OEM lower block mount with a ZERO gauge wire. Here you go DOC...

And finally, you can check this thread out, very usefull information.... Grounding system

It's a very simple installation, should take you about a good hour, taking your time and doing it right.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Pro

Question

I just want to buy all the stuff needed and have a professional do it...

For the positive terminal... I'm going to leave the stock alone, add a 4 guage unless you think I should go with 1/0, then one for my system, and do I need one for the fogs if I get them?

So that's 4, I guess on the positive terminal alone?

Then for the negative terminal I'll use the stock, add a 4 guage or 1/0, then what else?

What terminals do I need ?