2002 TL. Navi Starts w/Key On, Stops when Car is started

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019 | 09:44 AM
3rd Gear

2002 TL. Navi Starts w/Key On, Stops when Car is started

2002 TL Type S Navi

Turn key to On, NAVI starts up, functions normally

Turn key to start car, NAVi turns off, stays off. Screen is blank/Not illuminated
Trunk DVD connections are good, tight
Disk ejects, behaves normally
original disk, great condition
OBD II, no codes.
No gauge lights, all good
Nobody has ever been in the dash
Car has never been modded
Original Bose stereo
Dug for this, I think I read every post with "NAVI" in it. Lots.
Did not see this specific issue.
This the only issue with the extremely well-made,
and well loved car.
Can manage HVAC with Auto but... more Want than need.
Forums like this are my favorite thing about the web
And this is a great one.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Old 08-10-2019 | 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

There's a troubleshooting section on the navi system in the service manual.

It states several fuses/relays that can be checked, but before that, the more obvious questions: has the system (car) been in extreme heat or cold lately? the first page of the navi system states that it will be off until the temp comes within a normal range once more.
The following users liked this post:
Grokka (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019 | 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

Thx for the response.

Issue is:
turn key to On, NAVI starts up.100% functional
diagnostics/gps/HVAC

Turn key to next position to Start car
Navi does not power up
Only thing I just noticed
if I shut key to off, then turn key back to On
the Navi does Not start up the second, or subsequent times.

If i pull key out of ignition, reinsert key, turn it to On
Navi starts each time (only in On position)
2 Fuses, one relay (correct?) all good

ran diagnostics, all good, all green.
cleared the log, & reset it
re-entered security code -came back up fine.
(Again, only with key in On position)

Jumping the trunk service connector
same result, unit started up normally, (only in "on" position)
Nothing in Service manual seems to relate
Will start the tedious wiring checks etc this week
Or so.

Was hoping someone had seen this issue
and save me from that
Car is a masterpiece, otherwise.
People are stunned and amazed
Wait, thats a 2002?

Getting the Navi running is more a
point of principle, than a need,
you know?

I know you do.
Will update
Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Your problem really sounds like an issue with the navigation relay. your navi system works fine when switching it on once, and then fails with subsequent switching. Sounds like like a fault in the switch that controls the navi system i.e the relay.

if you are confident that it's NOT the relay, then I would continue down the troubleshooting path explained in page 22-412 of the user manual which checks for continuity and voltage of everything leading up to the navi system.
Grokka (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019 | 02:06 PM
3rd Gear

2002 TL NAVI failing to start-up issue has mostly solved itself
NAVI unit started coming on, on its own. Maybe 1 out of each 4-5 times I use the car
I had made no changes
Weird bit, when I shut the car off w/screen on the HVAC controls
the NAVI starts up with the car almost every time.

I shut it down once on GPS, and the old behavior came back
So I dont do that

Have no explanation, not even sure if it is just random
But that is what it is doing
Thanks again for the help!
Car at full accel chirps the tires when it shifts (to 2nd or 3rd, not sure which)
Never knew an auto to do that
Great motor
Actually, the whole car seems extremely well done
Only thing it needed was a tranny speed sensor. I replaced both
Car was loony, wouldnt shift, wouldnt go into park when stopped w/o shutting it down
Speedo of wasn't working, bouncing around.
Sensors fixed it right up.
Good.
I informed myself of all this, from here, before buying the car
My favorite thing about the internet. Forums like this.
Thanks again!
G
Old 12-05-2019 | 07:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Intermittent faults like this can be a bitch.

Looks like the '99TL was the only year to get a Nav "relay" so that isn't the problem.

Grokka, the next time it acts up go to the trunk and try to eject the DVD. This will verify there is ACC power on the nav circuit to the trunk but not necessarily to the display unit.

Next would be to jump the service connector in the trunk(22-431 of the service manual) to try a forced display startup. If that works then we know all power and grounds are good at the display unit and would require some more research(internal fault maybe?). If it doesn't work then the next step will be to test all powers and grounds at the back of the display unit when it's acting up. If everything checks out there then it logically has to be internal to the display unit like a cracked solder that is open when it's cold but makes an intermittent connection once the temperature warms up a bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iggy:
Grokka (12-06-2019), zeta (12-05-2019)
Old 02-26-2020 | 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Resurrecting this thread for a possible update by Grokka.

@Grokka If you are still out there, I have the EXACT issue going on with the navi system in my project a/t 2003 CL-S. The navi worked when the car started and so on. This problem appeared when I disconnected the battery to perform a timing belt replacement and valve adjustment. It is exactly as you so aptly describe in your original post.

Is your system still working or has the problem returned?

Originally Posted by Iggy
Intermittent faults like this can be a bitch.

Grokka, the next time it acts up go to the trunk and try to eject the DVD. This will verify there is ACC power on the nav circuit to the trunk but not necessarily to the display unit.

Next would be to jump the service connector in the trunk(22-431 of the service manual) to try a forced display startup. If that works then we know all power and grounds are good at the display unit and would require some more research(internal fault maybe?). If it doesn't work then the next step will be to test all powers and grounds at the back of the display unit when it's acting up. If everything checks out there then it logically has to be internal to the display unit like a cracked solder that is open when it's cold but makes an intermittent connection once the temperature warms up a bit.
I have tried ejecting the DVD and reloading and it went smoothly; however, the problem still occurs.
I also used the SCS service connector to perform the forced display startup and it performed the function, all diagnostic functions with the unit came up 'OK'; however, it (the navi) still does not come on when the key is turned to start the car after with a running engine.

It's the darndest thing I've ever seen.
Old 03-08-2020 | 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zeta
It's the darndest thing I've ever seen.
SUCCESS!!

All I did was perform a simple key on 'forced download', of the navi disc present in the car, and the navi screen now works AFTER the engine is started.

I basically used Karanx7's excellent 'How to fix your Honda and Acura Navigation clock stuck at 0:00' video, as a guide, except the part where he removes the disc. I left the disc in the navi unit in the trunk and it now works with the engine on.

The process I performed:
1) Power 'ON II', NO start.
2) Press Menu>Map>Cancel, in that order when the 'Blue Earth' Acura Navi screen appears.
3) Hold until you see the 'Diag' screen and hit 'Return'.
4) Hit 'Unit Check'.
5) Hit 'Forced Download'
6) It asks you 'Are you sure you want to Force Download & restart the system? Hit 'YES'.
In my case, the screen froze. I was like WTF, so I waited about 5 minutes to see what would happen, but nothing. I then turned 'Off' the ignition and removed the key. Waited a few minutes. Reinserted the key and turned it to 'On II'. Then a 'Please wait. Now Downloading Software' message displayed.> Then a 'Please do not Shut off engine' message was displayed, even though the engine was never started, confusing. Once all the download 'bars' were filled, on the screen, the message disappeared. >The 'Blue Earth' Acura Navi screen once again appeared. >The 'Disclaimer' screen appeared and I pressed 'OK'. >When the 'Enter Destination by:' screen appeared, I reset the clock and shut off the ignition. Next, I started the car and the Navi display came on and joy was finally found!

Saudade (03-08-2020)
Old 03-09-2020 | 01:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Won't have to fix your navi if you never update it.

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
Won't have to fix your navi if you never update it.

Care to explain how that is relevant to removing power by disconnecting the battery for service?
Old 03-09-2020 | 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

The issue was related to the navi update sent from Acura. I'm not aware of anyone who's never updated the navi, disconnected their battery AND had the issue occur.

I found the thread that addresses it here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...issues-961578/

Old 03-09-2020 | 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
The issue was related to the navi update sent from Acura. I'm not aware of anyone who's never updated the navi, disconnected their battery AND had the issue occur.

I found the thread that addresses it here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...issues-961578/
So, you are referring to the 'clock' issue addressed in @Karanx7 video. Now I understand. I used his video as a guide in my attempt to force download the navi disc to correct the 'blank display' upon start-up of the engine. The clock worked fine, as did the Navi before I disconnect the battery. The original owner of this CL-S I purchased supplied a blue DVD: 'Honda Navigation Software Update Clock Displays 00:00'; dated Nov 2017. It has '2.12.10' printed on it and below that states: 'Applies to 2.10, 2.11, 2.11A, 2.11B, 2.11C'.

Had the forced download of the navi disc not worked yesterday, Plan B was to try the clock disc.
The one thing @Grokka did not mention, in his OP, was if he recently disconnected power, in some way, to compel his 'No Display' upon start-up issue.
Old 03-13-2020 | 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Just for the record. I stumbled upon the thread below and there are others who have had the 'blank screen' after starting the engine issue prior to this August 2019 thread opened by Grokka .

On page 9, starting at post 341(Dec 2017), there are some various people who report having similar problems like this after using the Acura DVD sent to fix the 'clock' issue a few years ago.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-948841/page9/

Old 03-13-2020 | 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah, I highly suspect it's related to a software update (DVD) they got after they bought the car; whether it be them or the original purchaser if they are subsequent owner of the vehicle.

I myself have never updated the disc because it costs way too much for so little value add (and so my navi is pretty useless) and have never seen the problem.

Although, it's good that there are others who have and have resolved the problem in a visible way for others to come here and get past it was well!