02 tl-s swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012 | 10:03 PM
10th Gear

02 tl-s swap issues

ok hello everyone im new to the site i just figured i could get some help with this technical issue im having.

please grab popcorn this is long

please dont take offense to my name i just know from experience toyota is better.

ok car is a 02 TL type S (friends car) j32a2
139,000 kms on shell
recently i did a swap on the car because spark plug threads have shot out allong with the spark plug and melted the coil

so to try and see if the threads wer really gone
i replaced the sparkys and the 1 coil

ofcourse i didnt feel threads just kept spinning
so i left it in there and installed an older coil from another cylinder so the brand new coil wont melt and break. and figured the L key bolt would hold the spark in there just enough to get it home. ran fine but compression started to seep out of coil slowly

so after that i sourced a new motor out of a write off
J32a1 (non type s)34,000 kms w/ trans no harness nor TB. ($300)
it was so cheap because the seller dropped motor directly on oil pan . and cracked it wide open

so i pulled oil pan and it just nicked the oil pickup so i knew that no mechanical damage has been done.
allso pulled intake cover to see if it was actually 34,000 kms
and ofcourse clean as a whistle no varnish or oil build up from stupid honda design.

so i decided pull the j32a2 and swap the intake manifold allong with harness and everything to the j32a1.
same sensors same everything the only changing i had to do is put the j32a2 studs in for intake mani on j32a1 for it to work.

transmission wasnt damaged at all just speed sensor missing so i threw the type s one on anyways everything together no clip unaccounted for or any sensor it was all the same . even ex mani's so type s downpipe bolted right up .

so engine and trans together i put it in through the bottom
figured the factory does it so i can to .

anyways everything back together like nothing was ever touched . i put battery in and primed fuel properly . listened to the fuel pressure build up and i turn it over and after 10 seconds finally started to ignite and run but i swear the idle was lower than starter speed got it up to . and a extreme case of random misfire....

idled at 200 rpms and firing on maby 2 cylinders

so i grabbed the old coil packs and spark plugs and switched them over . and nothing still the same extreme misfire low idle. maby even worse. so after checking the stupid intake cover from switching intakes i thought maby the gasket was up side down because it happens and no its all fine

i even went to the extreme and before putting intake on i cleaned EGR ports like new from old type s intake and the valve itself and motor was clean allready so i didnt bother.
i knew about the 3.2 carbon build up issue so i cleaned it before getting the motor in.

anyways after everything checked out tried again.
same thing 200 rpms and running on 2 maby 3 cyl

so i did the old school test . pulled coils plugged in while running and grounded them out to see a bridge happening so i knew the coils worked .

i even pulled the supposed (#13 clock back up) fuse to maby refresh the ecu and still nothing . while i was at it i dissconected the battery and repluged the ecu maby i didnt hear the click the first time.

but still same thing .

so i didnt want to run the risk of ruining a new motor so im not diagnosing it anymore
now im blaming the problem on the ECU .
now check engine light is on but i dont have a good scanner and being a mechanic im waiting for enough money to get the expensive scanner that adjusts .......

now before i keep going i want to mention :remember ^^ i said it was running fine but started to seep compression out from underneath coil after i did plugs???? well before i started the swap the car was parked a couple blocks away from garage i was planning to do swap in. tried starting it and just kept turning over thats BEFORE the swap people.
checked the IGN fuse in the fuse panel drivers side andit was shot and we switched cruise control with it to get it running but when it started seemed like it ran on 4 then 3 then 2 than stall when i was backing it in the garage .

now either when oldmotor was in and coil was melted while running it fried the ECU internals by grounding it self out or even touching wires from being melted.
i dont know so i sourced out a new ECU and key for $100
but im asking you guys if i should keep trying , check fuel pressure , check valve timing , check crank/cam pos sensor???

or should i go ahead and get the new ECU and hope it fixes everything .

or should i just take it to a shop with the expensive scanner just to check the ECU or whatever .

ive tried it all even research and noone has the answer
i know the spark plugs are different part# but comparing them they should fire .
i just dont think dropping a motor from 2 feet high would cause timing to jump a tooth or even mess up the cam/crank sensors .

anyways my fingers hurt feel free to say whatever .
as long as i can wipe my hands free from this POS
Old 04-30-2012 | 10:08 PM

LOL at all the Honda bashing.
we'll see if you get help.
Old 04-30-2012 | 10:25 PM
-Arsenic-

So you swapped a base motor into a Type-S?

First mistake.
Old 04-30-2012 | 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02type-s
So you swapped a base motor into a Type-S?

First mistake.
Amen... I sounds like the cars owner isnt firing on all cylinders either.
Old 04-30-2012 | 10:43 PM
10th Gear

ok lets be real here . the owner is getting rid of the car because its such a POS . now are you guys gonna play games or be real .
i own both honda and toyota and i know from experience the differences so lets not play funny games and maby you guys know a thing or to and can help . not discriminate . i make a living with my tools so thats all that should matter not what manufacture i stand by.

anyways according to your site. J32a1 and a2 differences are the intake/ TB / Cams / ECU. so by putting type s parts on a j32a1
thats noones fault and we did know what we wer thinking .

guy drives a brand new 2012 gm pickup so he doesnt give a fuck what motor goes in as long as he could sell the car not get ripped off for $7000
Old 04-30-2012 | 10:53 PM
10th Gear

and no this isnt a mistake its called trying to get rid of another honda before it literally falls apart. owner got a lemon and hes trying to get his money back hes no mechanic.
Old 04-30-2012 | 11:15 PM
10th Gear

on the topic -

i forgot to add type s oil pan and oil pickup cleaned and slapped on
on the new motor torqued like everything else.
Old 04-30-2012 | 11:59 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

lol@ this thread
Old 05-01-2012 | 12:04 AM
S E L L

Originally Posted by toyotaisbetter
and no this isnt a mistake its called trying to get rid of another honda before it literally falls apart. owner got a lemon and hes trying to get his money back hes no mechanic.
Neither are you.

By the way, any car will be a piece of shit if you don't take care of it, even Toyotas.

Last edited by Gfaze; 05-01-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2012 | 12:41 AM
10th Gear

computer scan tomorrow and ecu lined up if it is the issue $100 with key .

thanks for your support
Old 05-01-2012 | 04:39 AM
Intermediate

Ah yes, Toyota have done quite alot in the last 10 years when it comes to inspiring cars...oh wait.
Old 05-01-2012 | 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012 | 09:31 AM
Racer

Type s and base have totally different compression and fuel/air needs. J32a2 engines are pretty cheap regardless... Should have spent just a little more time looking for the right engine, and maybe you wouldn't have this problem. Just saying
Old 05-01-2012 | 09:45 AM
Intermediate

First, got to give the guy props for doing major mechanic work by himself even if he did make a mistake. Anyone on here can respect that regardless of what his preference on cars is.

Second, oh no he said toyota is better. Get the fuck serious. Who cares about HIS preference on cars. Everyone on here can admit that our transmissions are shitty and if you cant then you are ignorant as shit. Stop letting some random dude piss you off over a name. If YOU believe YOUR car is the BEST then YOU shouldnt give a shit about other people thinking their car is better.

Third, honda has had recalls that MAY kill some one. Toyota has recalls that HAVE killed multiple people. You be the judge. hahaha

Fourth, I cant help at all with this question you have 'toyotaisbetter'. Sorry man.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012 | 09:50 AM

^rofl

Old 05-01-2012 | 10:10 AM
deal with it

5,000 internets for queencity heres your first payment
Old 05-01-2012 | 02:22 PM
10th Gear

all i have to say is i own a acura myself its a 96 integra GSR with spoon TYPE 1 RACING full stainless steel 2 1/2 exhaust and
AEM intake . sure its a good car but i can tell my 86 toyota that is 10 years older needs less . and the bolts will come right out. on the acura every bolt / belt / seal will have to be replaced literally it is falling apart but my 86 toyota see was still on its 1st transmission / bolts come out with ease
never has issues as far as headaches and rusted out threads go and yes they have the same kms .

and to top it off i can have a motor out and a new motor in in 6 hours BY MYSELF drinking beer and having fun rather than 3-4 days on an acura TL pissed off at stupid design

or transmission swap in 2 hours blindfolded on the toyota like cmon i can change it on the side of the road .

and there was NO recals on any 80's/90's toyotas ive owned
the TL has 5 pages in the haynes .

listen you guys i wasnt trying to be dissrespectful like i said in the begining of the add . i just know from experience .

as far as me not being a mechanic .

i was born on an engine stand for fuck sakes
im 20 years old and live on my own and im self employed with my own garage and heaps of tools and tool boxes .

ive made old mens jaw drop when they see my garage
i got 4 motors and 5 transmissions in my garage
im doing a 2JZ swap next month on a cressida

ive rebuilt 4 cyl- 8 cyl motors OHV SOHC and DOHC

thats right ive replaced cam bearings on a 350 small block
i can do valve lash and ive even port and polished heads.

i know im 20 but i love car and i understand cars . i built custom exhausts / intakes for more power i do it all
im even bulding ITB's from scratch this summer .

ok all im saying is i may not be the best speller or publisher on threads . but none of you should be judgemental just because my name is HONDA4LIFE or something like that .

and to whoever said toyotas fall apart to . thats true
yes i would say so myself ive seen badly maintained toyotas

but it depends who owns it . ive seen toyota pickups frames rust out before the motor died . at 600,000 kms that pretty amazing. but than theres honda i can buy a 01 civic Si silver no rust with 250,000 kms for $150 thats right $150 and i sold it right away because all the sensors wer going one by one

IACV the TPS the Coolant temp sensor . the vtec silinoid . the 02 sensors . like WTF i didnt even get a chance to drive it yet . just did a tune up and all this!!! so i sold it

and trust me the previous owner never had codes cleared before i bought it alignment was off and needed tie rods and a control arm and than i sold it for $1500

now to guy who sais A/F ratio ...
theres a MAP sensor isnt there....TPS....
and o2 sensors ...... i dont see there being a huge difference
i swapped intakes and its not like the type s motor mapping is way different . may run a tad lean or rich but as long as it runs and sells like it should that is all .

or is this just a assumption so the toyota guy is rong

and to you guys ( ROFLMAO and Lol at this thread ) i would love to see you swap a motor in the time i did . by yourself without $$ helping you allong the way or a hoist.

now another question to the TL guys or serious TL guys

is there any sensors that are extremely fragile to bumps and can be knocked out of adjustment .???
from dropping the motor would any non intake related components be screwed ??

thanks .
Old 05-01-2012 | 02:35 PM
10th Gear

btw the runaway toyota thing is a hoax its only a few vehicles with faulty ecu's and they recalled every car and replaced ecu's anyways

toyota has tested themself and never found the issue occuring to them during testing .
Old 05-01-2012 | 03:01 PM
Unregistered Member

and to you guys ( ROFLMAO and Lol at this thread ) i would love to see you swap a motor in the time i did . by yourself without $$ helping you allong the way or a hoist.
They aren't laughing at you, or your thread progress. They are just amused by the Toyota/Honda banter. AZine is very easily amused.
The following 2 users liked this post by Karanx7:
justnspace (05-01-2012), mugenspire (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012 | 03:48 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Originally Posted by Karanx7
They aren't laughing at you, or your thread progress. They are just amused by the Toyota/Honda banter. AZine is very easily amused.
This. And I actually did a 6mt swap into my TLP from a CLS on my own. Just for the record.
Old 05-01-2012 | 04:20 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by freeaTLast
This. And I actually did a 6mt swap into my TLP from a CLS on my own. Just for the record.
oh yeah and how long did that take you ????
Old 05-01-2012 | 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Gonna go out on a limb and say you drive the acura gsr harder than your 86 camry.
Old 05-01-2012 | 04:51 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Actually yea lol. Now by asking how long it takes to complete a swap are you implying somehow that it makes you more competent to work on cars than anyone else? Because last time I checked time has nothing to do with anything related to a persons skill level when working on cars so think about that before you get butt hurt next time buddy. And lighten up. Lol.
Old 05-01-2012 | 05:56 PM
10th Gear

camry lol you guys are a bunch of know it alls right..
typical honda enthousiasts . i hurt your feelings .

i can leave this post for years and still get people crying like little bitches because of what i said . you guys dearly protect your investments . spending loads of money on transmissions. sucking oil into your intake .

i dont give a fuck because car is fixed and not thanks to you "techs"
BTW the GSR is worthless to me its as disposable as a civic so i dont give a fuck ill rev it till it blows up and throw it in the crusher sell the exhaust and still make my money back . and the car would be recycled and turned into a toyota
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

all i have to say is i own a acura myself its a 96 integra GSR with spoon TYPE 1 RACING full stainless steel 2 1/2 exhaust and
AEM intake . sure its a good car but i can tell my 86 toyota that is 10 years older needs less . and the bolts will come right out. on the acura every bolt / belt / seal will have to be replaced literally it is falling apart but my 86 toyota see was still on its 1st transmission / bolts come out with ease
never has issues as far as headaches and rusted out threads go and yes they have the same kms .

and to top it off i can have a motor out and a new motor in in 6 hours BY MYSELF drinking beer and having fun rather than 3-4 days on an acura TL pissed off at stupid design

or transmission swap in 2 hours blindfolded on the toyota like cmon i can change it on the side of the road .

and there was NO recals on any 80's/90's toyotas ive owned
the TL has 5 pages in the haynes .

listen you guys i wasnt trying to be dissrespectful like i said in the begining of the add . i just know from experience .

as far as me not being a mechanic .

i was born on an engine stand for fuck sakes
im 20 years old and live on my own and im self employed with my own garage and heaps of tools and tool boxes .

ive made old mens jaw drop when they see my garage
i got 4 motors and 5 transmissions in my garage
im doing a 2JZ swap next month on a cressida

ive rebuilt 4 cyl- 8 cyl motors OHV SOHC and DOHC

thats right ive replaced cam bearings on a 350 small block
i can do valve lash and ive even port and polished heads.

i know im 20 but i love car and i understand cars . i built custom exhausts / intakes for more power i do it all
im even bulding ITB's from scratch this summer .

ok all im saying is i may not be the best speller or publisher on threads . but none of you should be judgemental just because my name is HONDA4LIFE or something like that .

and to whoever said toyotas fall apart to . thats true
yes i would say so myself ive seen badly maintained toyotas

but it depends who owns it . ive seen toyota pickups frames rust out before the motor died . at 600,000 kms that pretty amazing. but than theres honda i can buy a 01 civic Si silver no rust with 250,000 kms for $150 thats right $150 and i sold it right away because all the sensors wer going one by one

IACV the TPS the Coolant temp sensor . the vtec silinoid . the 02 sensors . like WTF i didnt even get a chance to drive it yet . just did a tune up and all this!!! so i sold it

and trust me the previous owner never had codes cleared before i bought it alignment was off and needed tie rods and a control arm and than i sold it for $1500

now to guy who sais A/F ratio ...
theres a MAP sensor isnt there....TPS....
and o2 sensors ...... i dont see there being a huge difference
i swapped intakes and its not like the type s motor mapping is way different . may run a tad lean or rich but as long as it runs and sells like it should that is all .

or is this just a assumption so the toyota guy is rong

now another question to the TL guys or serious TL guys

is there any sensors that are extremely fragile to bumps and can be knocked out of adjustment .???
from dropping the motor would any non intake related components be screwed ??

thanks .
Well when you come to a acura board bashing it and saying toyota is better you arent honestly hoping for much help are you?

2ndly what is this shitty design you talk about about removing the engine? If it takes as long as you say itdoes i dont have much faith in your mechanical ability. By myself in my garage i can have the motor taken out and put back in in 4 hours. Taking it out the bottom and doing it without a hoist is the dumb and slow way. And please dont tell me i cant because i have done it, along with auto trans swaps in the same amount of time.

Even if you dont have a scanner that can read live data get one that can at least scan for codes. It may give you more insite as to where to start.
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Considering there is more to it than putting a trans or motor in time is kinda irrelivant. But if i had all the parts before starting the 6 speed conversion it could be done in a day. Still much less time than it takes you to pull just the motor out. Oh, and since you seem to have such a positive attitude id like to see you do a manual trans conversion on a camry that never was built with a manual in remotely close to that time.
mugenspire (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012 | 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Shit I just hope I can install headers and motor mounts over Friday Saturday and Sunday afternoons. About 21 hours total I hope I don't need them all.
Old 05-01-2012 | 11:43 PM
-Arsenic-

You being born on an engine stand likely contributed to your apparent down syndrome.
JCharged (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012 | 01:12 AM
S E L L

You being born on an engine stand likely contributed to your apparent down syndrome.
Old 05-02-2012 | 07:33 AM

Old 05-02-2012 | 07:59 AM
Advanced

X_X# is this toyota fanboy retarded or something!?!?!?!?!? for one, I do recall toyota recalling thousands of cars for not the ecu, but for faulty accelerators that resulted in fatal collisions. at least honda recalls didnt result in fatal collisions (for the toyota fanboy, fatal collision = PEOPLE DYING AS A RESULT OF COLLISION)... and another thing, 20 years old and making a claim of a master mechanic!?!?!? get the fuck outta here!!!
Old 05-02-2012 | 04:56 PM
10th Gear

i didnt claim nothing you guys are just full of shit.

2 bolts snapped on front engine mount to subframe

both gromit studs snapped where engine harness goes through firewall .

2 bolts snapped holding abs wire to strut

both side mount bolts snapped the ones going downwards into block

back cover to passenger seat fell off

seats are toast

passenger seat bolt snapped to floorboard

trunk needs to be slammed to close

hood bolt snapped

rack is leaking

replaced power steering cooler line because clips broke and
sat against CV

wheel speed sensors fused into hubs

intake filter box bolts rusted out snapped

cat covers bolts snapped

1 cat flange bolt snapped ( it happens)

engine harness grounds all replaced corrosion

and to top it all off shitty spark plug threads
you know like fords .....

BTW snapped bolts: sea foam DEEP CREEP used on all and soaked in with WD40 also .

at 139,000 kn's WEST CANADA CAR none of this should have happened

all fixed within the 4 days

now if that doesnt sound like honda is shit you guys need to open your eyes .

if you have a garage to park in STFU i dont want to hear

pretty bad the only things snapping on my 86 gts is a phillips screw honding mudflap on hey with 230,000 kms

original everything except motor and trans . now you be the judge

have a nice life i dont give a fuck im out of here.
one of you wer right i made a mistake putting base motor in

i should have searched for parts car . because now i look and theres more parts cars than there is for sale

BYE!!! .l..
Old 05-03-2012 | 07:53 AM
Safety Car

You sound arrogant as hell. You don't need to explain yourself and your accomplishments.

You must be mad because we don't give you credit. Mods please bring this to ramblings so we can have another hall of fame thread.
Old 05-03-2012 | 08:02 AM

its a very good idea to not bite the hand that feeds you, mr.toyota.
Old 05-03-2012 | 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

i didnt claim nothing you guys are just full of shit.

2 bolts snapped on front engine mount to subframe

both gromit studs snapped where engine harness goes through firewall .

2 bolts snapped holding abs wire to strut

both side mount bolts snapped the ones going downwards into block

back cover to passenger seat fell off

seats are toast

passenger seat bolt snapped to floorboard

trunk needs to be slammed to close

hood bolt snapped

rack is leaking

replaced power steering cooler line because clips broke and
sat against CV

wheel speed sensors fused into hubs

intake filter box bolts rusted out snapped

cat covers bolts snapped

1 cat flange bolt snapped ( it happens)

engine harness grounds all replaced corrosion

and to top it all off shitty spark plug threads
you know like fords .....

BTW snapped bolts: sea foam DEEP CREEP used on all and soaked in with WD40 also .

at 139,000 kn's WEST CANADA CAR none of this should have happened

all fixed within the 4 days

now if that doesnt sound like honda is shit you guys need to open your eyes .

if you have a garage to park in STFU i dont want to hear

pretty bad the only things snapping on my 86 gts is a phillips screw honding mudflap on hey with 230,000 kms

original everything except motor and trans . now you be the judge

have a nice life i dont give a fuck im out of here.
one of you wer right i made a mistake putting base motor in

i should have searched for parts car . because now i look and theres more parts cars than there is for sale

BYE!!! .l..
Ive worked on Toyotas much newer with more issues than that. I think i can honestly say i have taken EVERY nut or bolt off on my TL (which by the way lives in a climate where they use tons of sand and salt in the winter) with 500k miles on it and only had 3-4 bolts/screws that broke or had to be drilled out. 2 of which were the useless screws that hold the rotor in place.

Oh and your list of things wrong sound MORE like the owner/previous owner never did a thing for routine maintenance or just never gave a shit.
Old 05-03-2012 | 08:52 PM
Intermediate

I needed a good laugh