02 TL-S kinda hiccups from time to time

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 TL-S kinda hiccups from time to time

Greetings,

I have an '02 TL-S and so far it has been a hoot. I have about 14k miles, and the car was built in May, 01.

Anyway, from time to time, it just stumbles for just a split second. I can't tell if it's coming from the tranny or the engine. But, it always recovers quickly and I won't see the problem again for several days.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Could this be related to the tranny problem I've read about here? For those with tranny problems, what are the symptoms you have seen?

TIA
Old 04-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Banned

i have this problem. i am in a new tranny.
this problem has been going on for months, i just ignore it now.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:40 PM
No, you are a dork.

I know exactly what you are talking about....it occurs most when i am lightly touching the gas at cruising speeds...doesnt seem like tranny to me...more like a computer issue........oh well. lets see what others say...

d
Old 04-20-2002, 01:46 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

what do you mean by "hiccup"?
Old 04-20-2002, 01:48 PM
No, you are a dork.

almost feels like it isnt getting gas or has lost power for a second or two...
Old 04-20-2002, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hickup is a good word to describe this. I wanted to call it studder, but "studder" may imply something else. My original tranny used to studder under hard acceleration some time before it finally gave up and needed a replacement.

Back to the hickup - I have had this behavior since day 1. And it is reoccurring on the new tranny as well.

While I am cruising steadily at 50 mph (sometimes 45, sometimes 60), usually in the morning, about 5-10 minutes after I leave for work, the car does the hickup.

To me it feels like engine loses power. But it also may be something in the tranny. A couple of times I thought it felt like someone grabbed the brakes very briefly.

One time I caught a glimpse of the tach during a hickup and I saw the revs go down a bit.

To think of it, it also feels like bumping into the rev limiter in SS mode. Maybe the computer detects a false "redline" condition and momentarily cuts off the fuel?

Or maybe the plugs are misfiring?

Whatever the hell it is, it is quite annoying and ruins the experience of leasing what is supposed to be a great car.
Old 04-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Ruski

While I am cruising steadily at 50 mph (sometimes 45, sometimes 60), usually in the morning, about 5-10 minutes after I leave for work, the car does the hickup.
I'm going to save this thread and show it to my dealer because my TLS is doing exactly what you describe above. I thought maybe the gas pedal was to sensitive and I was taking my foot off the gas. I hope it's not the tranny.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:24 PM
5th Gear

Gas Petal? Will you should be gentle if you have a gas petal.

Does this hiccup occur when the engine is cold only - or at varying temps? Had a rental recently and we'd gun it when cold and could feel a slight hesitation as it rev'ed up.

Are you using a high octance gas? They say if you buy gas from the same place ALL the time that you will eventually have problems because you are taking a chance that that gas station sells clean gasoline - that's why it a good idea to get gas at different places - hope that makes sense.

Also check the air filter and air passage ways - perhaps you have an obstruction.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck with it.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:44 PM
Banned

Re: 02 TL-S kinda hiccups from time to time

Originally posted by kennelm
Greetings,

I have an '02 TL-S and so far it has been a hoot. I have about 14k miles, and the car was built in May, 01.

Anyway, from time to time, it just stumbles for just a split second. I can't tell if it's coming from the tranny or the engine. But, it always recovers quickly and I won't see the problem again for several days.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Could this be related to the tranny problem I've read about here? For those with tranny problems, what are the symptoms you have seen?

TIA
Yea my 02 CL-S has recently started this as well. Only happens on light acceleration.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TL-Researcher
Gas Petal? Well you should be gentle if you have a gas petal.
Sometimes typos crack me up!
Old 04-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey guys.. maybe this'll help...

The "hiccup, stutter," or however you may want to personify the symptom may be the lock-up torque converter (if I'm interpreting your keen diagnoses correctly) adjusting to cruising speeds. If you refer to your owner's manual, they discuss the sensation of another "shift" in the transmisison as you begin to cruise at a highway speed (~45+ mph). Also, the car has the grade-logic software integrated into the tranny, as I'm very sure you're aware of, and this system is also tracking degrees of elevation as you cruise along, working not so harmoniously w/ the transmission, hence your "hiccup".

Here's something to try... drop it into SS, leave it in 5th gear while cruising around the speed your used to experiencing the stutter .. apply the accelerator intermittently and determine whether or not you experience the same symptom. Then drop down to 4th and repeat. Sorry to make this sound like a high school science project, but hell, if it's buggin' you, you might as well try to figure it out.

Best of luck,

Pete
Old 04-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by daryl.com
I know exactly what you are talking about....it occurs most when i am lightly touching the gas at cruising speeds...doesnt seem like tranny to me...more like a computer issue........oh well. lets see what others say...

d
Daryl,

This is it exactly. Always happens on light throttle, and usually at slow speeds, say 30mph. Never really noticed it under hard acceleration. The more I think about it, the more it seems like an engine quirk vs. tranny quirk. Maybe a loss of ignition? Computer problem maybe. Anyway, it feels like the engine stumbles (or hiccups) for just a split second.

Can anyone tell me what the signs of the tranny problem are? What to watch for. I'd like to be on top of this before the warranty runs out, you know! Does anyone know if the May 01 cars are subject to this?

Nevermind on the tranny question. I found the thread.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2002, 10:25 PM
9th Gear

yea i got the same problem too and i bought mine in may 01..
Old 04-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Racer

Try driving in D4, that fixed it for me, I had the same exact problem, and of course it never happened at the dealership. I only go to D5 when I will be at or over 65mph for an extended period of time. I haven't experienced the problem ever since.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:44 AM
Racer

i know what u're talking about. it's normal. it's one of the reason why i don't know honda's tranny. however, it's a bit better than the accord & that's why i bought the tl-s.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

mine hickupped in D4 as well

Since I got the new tranny, I have not tried driving in D4. I will give it a try again and see what heppens.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:46 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

I've never had this problem is about 8 months of ownership and heavy highway usage. I'm thinking it is bad gasoline, or spark plugs misfiring.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:12 PM
No, you are a dork.

no it's not.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

I have also noticed this in my 02 TL-S also. I think it is when the transmission goes into lockup, and a certain speed right when it is suppose to shift into lockup the transmission gets confused and does not know weather to shift or not so it hunts back and forth. I dropped my car off at Acura of South Florida to have my front bumper repainted and they gave me a loaner 02 TL, and that car alsohad the same symptoms.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:04 AM
Pro

Yeah, I think mine does the same thing. It's an 02 TL-S made in Jan 02. Does it happen right around 2K rpm? The whole drive-train just seems to kind of be on a "rubber-band" while cruising at that rpm. It's like people have said, I think it is the torque converter locking and unlocking. If you just barely hit the gas it seems to just kind of decide what to do first... then it sort of lunges or surges or next it feels like it downshifts and the brakes have been applied. Yes, I would say that I have noticed this effect in BOTH 02 TLS that I have driven. I don't like to be cruising lightly at around 2K rpm. It does feel confused at that speed/throttle setting. AND IT SEEMS THAT IT'S ALWAYS NEAR THAT SETTING. It's like it's got so much power that it wants to be unleashed and can't stand to be "hovering" around 2K rpm. Mine is smooth as silk when I'm acclelerating, or cruising at 3K rpm... Only problem is, I've got to be going 95mph to get it up to 3K rpm. Perhaps I should try the D4 routine... that might help it to feel a bit more solid, but at the expense of the gas pump
Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kennelm
Daryl,

This is it exactly. Always happens on light throttle, and usually at slow speeds, say 30mph. Never really noticed it under hard acceleration. The more I think about it, the more it seems like an engine quirk vs. tranny quirk. Maybe a loss of ignition? Computer problem maybe. Anyway, it feels like the engine stumbles (or hiccups) for just a split second.

Can anyone tell me what the signs of the tranny problem are? What to watch for. I'd like to be on top of this before the warranty runs out, you know! Does anyone know if the May 01 cars are subject to this?

Nevermind on the tranny question. I found the thread.

Thanks
Did you ever get a solution to the hiccup problem? I have a 2000 that has done it since new. Much worse in hot weather.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
should i spend more in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eventhough this is a 4 year old thread, i have the same prob on my 03 TL-s.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:24 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I've noticed this in a few Hondas over the years, it's never being an omen of any problems.

BTW, yeah, this thread is nearly 4 years old.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 PM
tterb83

stumbles in what gear or speed? RPM's drop for a second? any consistency?