installed 2011 RL AC control in 06

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
installed 2011 RL AC control in 06

Got me an AC control from 2011 RL... Installed it today took ~20min... everything worked flawlessly...

the 2011 AC control have 2 extra buttons for fan speed and the "Dual climate" button in the older ac control is replaced by the "mode button".... tested out all the function.... everything worked.... straight up plug and play.... and I took apart the AC control.... the 2011 AC control use SMD LED as back light.... while the older one use tiny bulbs
The following users liked this post:
wildwayne (01-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Wow... that's cool!

Some questions....

1) So is the Dual function gone with the new unit? I assume Mode works as mode should?

2) How does the color of the LED backlight match the other lights in the Audio and Navi controls that use regular bulbs?

3) Are the temperature controls on both sides backlit with LEDs as well? or just the buttons?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Some additional questions:
when you press 'mode' button, does it bring up A/C screen and it goes thru each mode one at a time as you press?

where did you buy the module? junkyard?
How do you now control temp setting individually for driver/passenger now that you got rid of the dual button.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Megatron
Wow... that's cool!

Some questions....

1) So is the Dual function gone with the new unit? I assume Mode works as mode should?

2) How does the color of the LED backlight match the other lights in the Audio and Navi controls that use regular bulbs?

3) Are the temperature controls on both sides backlit with LEDs as well? or just the buttons?
answer:
1) the unit have "Dual" function as default, the mode button will change the vent setup

2) all the color and lighting are the same.... the only difference is that one use SMD LED and the older one use tiny light bulb.

3) everything is the same as the original control. When I took apart the control unit, I compared both the new one and the old one... they all have the same control board (the white part, exactly the same down to the resistors and placement)... the only difference is the front button part (the black part)
RLric2005 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baboya96
Some additional questions:
when you press 'mode' button, does it bring up A/C screen and it goes thru each mode one at a time as you press?

where did you buy the module? junkyard?
How do you now control temp setting individually for driver/passenger now that you got rid of the dual button.
it does goes thru each mode one at a time.... and the fan control also.... it also noted the front and rear defrost so you won't press the wrong button ('front' and 'rear' marked clearly on the button)

I got this unit on ebay for $90 included shipping.... it was stripped from a 2011 RL.

the dual button toggles between fix/dual temperature on driver and passenger side. the new module is always dual for you control temperature via the temp switch on each side or voice control.... in a sense, dual temperature is always there, you don't need a button to toggle it.... I can imagine the original design prob. donno what to put in it's place so they just put DUAL to take up that space. the only thing is that dual button will allow you to line up the temperature to the driver side quickly, if you don't like how the passenger side sets it.

come to think of it, you can just buy the front black part (part with buttons on it) and use the same white part of the temp. control module since they share all the same components.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Some more pictures: (I have LED interior lights so i guess it's bright enough for me not to use a flashlight)

picture in total darkness besides the back lite.... I guess all the button lights up even the temp control switch....
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by psheu
it does goes thru each mode one at a time.... and the fan control also.... it also noted the front and rear defrost so you won't press the wrong button ('front' and 'rear' marked clearly on the button)

I got this unit on ebay for $90 included shipping.... it was stripped from a 2011 RL.

the dual button toggles between fix/dual temperature on driver and passenger side. the new module is always dual for you control temperature via the temp switch on each side or voice control.... in a sense, dual temperature is always there, you don't need a button to toggle it.... I can imagine the original design prob. donno what to put in it's place so they just put DUAL to take up that space. the only thing is that dual button will allow you to line up the temperature to the driver side quickly, if you don't like how the passenger side sets it.

come to think of it, you can just buy the front black part (part with buttons on it) and use the same white part of the temp. control module since they share all the same components.
Does the lighting dim properly and still match the other lighting color on the audio and NAV buttons at various levels? Seems strange that the color matches so well between LEDs in that new HVAC unit and regular bulbs in the audio and navi.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I assume all of the controls through the "A/C" button for the screen are the same? Also, you missed the question about it pulling up this screen upon hitting "mode". Does it scroll through on the Nav screen or in the background? If it does bring up the screen, can you use the joystick to manipulate it?

Great idea. I would love to do this as I can't stand having to hit A/C to control fan speed. Now we just need someone to put cooling seats in an '08- to prove it can be done.

Can you give us insight into taking the console off, or is that posted elsewhere?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
This is something I'd do. How much this part new?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Pro

Looks like the part is $207.94 new...
79650-SJA-A11ZA

Kinda steep... but I think I might do it as well... if nothing else, for the LED backlighting to never worry about burnt out bulbs again!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Megatron
Looks like the part is $207.94 new...
79650-SJA-A11ZA

Kinda steep... but I think I might do it as well... if nothing else, for the LED backlighting to never worry about burnt out bulbs again!
just chk the part, it's $194.75 (just the front control part).... when I saw that deal $90 included shipping for the whole unit (black + white part), I jump on it:P

Q:- Can you give us insight into taking the console off, or is that posted elsewhere?

the console can be taking off easily... first engage ebrake, pull the shifter back, open the 'not an ash tray' lid, now u can pull up the front center console cover (the part that got the seat warmer control), pull the 2 silver trims straight out... up to this point, no tool is required but your hands...

than remove the 4 screws that holds the head unit to the console (you can use socket, or philip screw driver... personally i prefer socket)... pull out the head unit, unplug the AC control plug in the back... remove 4 screws that hold the AC control unit to the head unit...

swap in the new unit, screw, plug, put head unit back, screw, put silver trims back, put front center console cover back... and you r done (the whole thing take <20min doing it carefully)

as for screen, i'm not sure if it pull up the screen cuz our tiny display doesn't have the AC mode on there like the TL (maybe the newer RL's center display have those two additional icons. maybe someone with new RL can shed some light on this)... but it does scrow through all the modes when you push the mode button. the fan speed buttons worked the same way.

Q:- Does the lighting dim properly and still match the other lighting color on the audio and NAV buttons at various levels? Seems strange that the color matches so well between LEDs in that new HVAC unit and regular bulbs in the audio and navi.

well, this is suppose to be the similar unit in the newer model RL so I can imagine they tried to match it as best as they can.... the lighting did dim properly just like the older AC control.

Last edited by psheu; 07-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
RLric2005 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That's pretty neat. I would totally consider doing that as well.I guess when the bulbs go out and I have to take the unit apart, I would do that conversion.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

...as for screen, i'm not sure if it pull up the screen cuz our tiny display doesn't have the AC mode on there like the TL (maybe the newer RL's center display have those two additional icons. maybe someone with new RL can shed some light on this)... but it does scrow through all the modes when you push the mode button. the fan speed buttons worked the same way.
Thanks for the walk through. I knew how on Legend #1, but have yet to get back there on this one.

As for the screen, I was talking about the Nav screen. When I press the "A/C" button, my Nav changes to a climate control interface. Does it do the same when you press "mode"? Can you press "mode" to pull the screen up and then switch to using the joystick for the settings?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
Thanks for the walk through. I knew how on Legend #1, but have yet to get back there on this one.

As for the screen, I was talking about the Nav screen. When I press the "A/C" button, my Nav changes to a climate control interface. Does it do the same when you press "mode"? Can you press "mode" to pull the screen up and then switch to using the joystick for the settings?
Probably not, because when you press "auto" or recycle, the ac creen doesnt come up. probably still only comes up when pressing "ac" down by the joystick
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oo7spy

No no, i miss understand your question... the A/C button still work... everything work the same... when you are on the A/C screen, you can scroll through the different modes by pushing the mode button or the jog dial... same with fan speed... everything worked the same... it's just added convenience when u wanna change mode or speed up the fan... and LED back lite

when you are not on the A/C screen, the mode will still scroll through the changes... you just can't see it:P
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

No no, i miss understand your question... the A/C button still work... everything work the same... when you are on the A/C screen, you can scroll through the different modes by pushing the mode button or the jog dial... same with fan speed... everything worked the same... it's just added convenience when u wanna change mode or speed up the fan... and LED back lite

when you are not on the A/C screen, the mode will still scroll through the changes... you just can't see it:P
LOL I think he was asking, if when you press the "mode" or "fan" buttons will the ac screen pop up like it does when you press the "ac" button. Judging by your response, I'm guessing those buttons do not bring you to the "ac" screen. Theyw ill still cycle through regardless if the "ac" screen is up or not. But only the "ac" button wil bring you to that screen
psheu (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=psheu;13084619]just chk the part, it's $194.75 (just the front control part).... when I saw that deal $90 included shipping for the whole unit (black + white part), I jump on it:P

Can you tell us where you looked it up and see it for $194.75??
Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

L, yes.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L's TL
LOL I think he was asking, if when you press the "mode" or "fan" buttons will the ac screen pop up like it does when you press the "ac" button. Judging by your response, I'm guessing those buttons do not bring you to the "ac" screen. Theyw ill still cycle through regardless if the "ac" screen is up or not. But only the "ac" button wil bring you to that screen
^^^
what he said The AC control panel doesn't bring up the Navi-screen display. You'll need to hit the A/C button for that to come up....
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

[quote=Megatron;13084938]
just chk the part, it's $194.75 (just the front control part).... when I saw that deal $90 included shipping for the whole unit (black + white part), I jump on it:P

Can you tell us where you looked it up and see it for $194.75??
you can check www.hondapartsunlimited.com... their price is pretty competitive! my local acura dealer is even more competitive, they'll match any price... if you weight in shipping and tax... local pick up, add tax minus shipping... internet, shipping cost, no tax...

Last edited by psheu; 07-12-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The front control part (buttons )will not fit on the 2005-06 module (board casing), they are different dimension and the screws won´t align.

This lesson cost me $194.75 plus shipping.

I even tried to take out the board from the white casing, but the new buttons don´t work.

I think even the board seems the same the programming is different.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

That blows, so you need the whole control unit for this to work?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
so it was just plug and play?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DavNyc3
so it was just plug and play?
It is if you buy the entire unit
Old 12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by tguzman
The front control part (buttons )will not fit on the 2005-06 module (board casing), they are different dimension and the screws won´t align.

I even tried to take out the board from the white casing, but the new buttons don´t work.

sorry to hear
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
oh ok hopefully i can find a used one so i don't have to buy each individual little bulb and everything this is definitely a nice little mod.

Originally Posted by DeadLock
It is if you buy the entire unit
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

We'll two button don't light anymore on my current setup so need to replace those or maybe it's time to upgrade. Have someone else upgrade to the 2011 ac control yet. You mentioned it's just plug n play so I went ahead and confirm this with parts department and they told me I've to reprogram the AC control. Is this correct.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zelaya
We'll two button don't light anymore on my current setup so need to replace those or maybe it's time to upgrade. Have someone else upgrade to the 2011 ac control yet. You mentioned it's just plug n play so I went ahead and confirm this with parts department and they told me I've to reprogram the AC control. Is this correct.
nope.... just pull out the old unit and plug in the new unit and it'll work.... no re-program needed.... it's extremely simple, took me <10 min
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
as psheu said, it's plug n play. i did this on my 06 as well.

the only thing i found different is that you would have to get the entire module (front and back pieces).
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

nope.... just pull out the old unit and plug in the new unit and it'll work.... no re-program needed.... it's extremely simple, took me <10 min
Originally Posted by yue3759

the only thing i found different is that you would have to get the entire module (front and back pieces).
Thank guys.

Hey yue3759, how much did you paid for yours? I'm not having any luck on ebay.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelaya
Thank guys.

Hey yue3759, how much did you paid for yours? I'm not having any luck on ebay.
I don't think you'll be able to find those parts on eBay that easily. I got my parts from http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/ and they were quite a bit (~$350 or more). But the good things I won't have to worry about the bulbs burning out as the 2009+ parts are LEDs. Let me know if I can help you further.

Oh yeah, on a separate note, I'm thinking of getting the JDM headlights and have a few questions so I'll send you a PM instead.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

this is a really cool upgrade!! considering doing it !
so fan speed dont have to adjust from the dial !!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by tguzman

Originally Posted by yue3759

Well my problem is I read fast and don't catch the important info. I end up getting the front face ac unit control today and it won't work with old mother board assembly. Everything work except the fan and mode button. I will need to slash out another $241.00 in order for this to work. Luckily I found extra bulbs to replace the burn one from the original one. I guess I'll install my old unit until I get replacement. This really sucks. Oh well lesson learn.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

looks good! I should do that to mine b/c my buttons are wearing off.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

have it done last night took about 10 min, directly plug n play
but accidentally blown the illuminating fuse took another 10 min to figure it out.
got it from a junk yard from Indiana for 120 +20 shipped the whole unit
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Man, I've been looking for a used one and no luck. Care to share how you found yours.