Use of "Detour" in Navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008 | 09:46 AM
Advanced

Use of "Detour" in Navi

A friend showed me his new Chrysler nav unit that has a detour function. You can enter how far you want to be detoured from your route, for example, 2,5,10 miles away. I noticed that we have a Detour function but I cannot find any way to choose how much of a detour I would like. Is this available on our navi?

Thanks.

Rod
05 RL
Old 10-16-2008 | 10:26 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Page 71 in the 2006 RL Navigation Manual.....

"DETOUR: Calculates a detour route for you when an unexpected obstacle is encountered such as a closed road, traffic accident or congestion....

If DETOUR is selected, the system will attept to re-calculate a new route, avoiding the next 2 miles (while on a freeway) or 1/2 mile (while on a surface street)."

There are no selectable distance parameters (at least in the 05-08 RL NAVI functionality).
Old 10-16-2008 | 03:40 PM
Safety Car

can't you also use the "Avoid" function
Let's you pick specific segments to avoid
Old 10-19-2008 | 12:06 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by getakey
can't you also use the "Avoid" function
Let's you pick specific segments to avoid

Yes, but entering areas to avoid will cause the Nav to detour around those areas all the time unless there is no other route. Detour is for just that point in time.
Old 10-20-2008 | 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Yes, but entering areas to avoid will cause the Nav to detour around those areas all the time unless there is no other route. Detour is for just that point in time.
Wow- is that true. Avoid is "sticky"?
I haven't read the manual, but I assumed avoid would only apply that one time for that one route.
Old 10-20-2008 | 04:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Actually both DETOUR and AVOID are subject only to a current plotted route in progress. They work similarly, but for different reasons.

DETOUR offers alternate routes from the position you are currently at within the plotted route. Should you encounter issues that favor you to detour from the plotted route the DETOUR feature offers you alternative routes to select on the fly. As mentioned above, the DETOUR alternatives vary if you are on a highway or local surface street.

AVOID is a contingency you may add to any plotted route you are enroute. If you plot a route and are aware of roads, construction, traffic incidents or just one of those nasty pot hole ridden roads, you may interject the NAVI plotted route by selecting roads to AVOID. When you select AVOID, the roads on the plot are listed and you may select which you wish to AVOID and in effect, create a DETOUR from the plotted route.

Both features apply only to a current plotted route and do not make permanent contingencies to the NAVI. In effect DETOURS are selected when you encounter a real time issue and AVOID involves a preconceived contingency you plan for. Both features can only be selected from a plotted route by selecting CHANGE ROUTE.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 10-20-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2008 | 04:27 PM
Safety Car

thanks tampa
Go Rays assuming you are onboard their bandwagon
Old 10-20-2008 | 04:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

thanks tampa
Go Rays assuming you are onboard their bandwagon
I was at the game last night....

I have no voice...

My ears are ringing still....

I still have not slept.

Worst to FIRST! GO RAYS!
Old 10-20-2008 | 04:51 PM
Safety Car

very cool
watching on TV from CA here
how lond did everyone stay after the game?
I'm sure Fox is not happy about not having Dodgers or Red Sox (or both), but its exciting to see some new teams in the Series
Old 10-20-2008 | 09:13 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Originally Posted by TampaRL
AVOID is a contingency you may add to any plotted route you are enroute. If you plot a route and are aware of roads, construction, traffic incidents or just one of those nasty pot hole ridden roads, you may interject the NAVI plotted route by selecting roads to AVOID. When you select AVOID, the roads on the plot are listed and you may select which you wish to AVOID and in effect, create a DETOUR from the plotted route.

Both features apply only to a current plotted route and do not make permanent contingencies to the NAVI. In effect DETOURS are selected when you encounter a real time issue and AVOID involves a preconceived contingency you plan for. Both features can only be selected from a plotted route by selecting CHANGE ROUTE.
Are you sure Tampa? I thought AVOID was similar to how it is in my Land Cruiser where it will always avoid that location until you remove it.

My boss said he added a construction zone to the NAVI in his MDX so that it will always avoid going through that location.

I have never used the feature, so I can't say for sure.
Old 10-20-2008 | 09:32 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Are you sure Tampa? I thought AVOID was similar to how it is in my Land Cruiser where it will always avoid that location until you remove it.

My boss said he added a construction zone to the NAVI in his MDX so that it will always avoid going through that location.

I have never used the feature, so I can't say for sure.

Page 71 of the NAVI Manual. The only way you can AVOID or DETOUR is to CHANGE ROUTE of an engaged route.

However, if he has a destination saved in his ADDRESS BOOK, perhaps he saved that route with AVOID layed into the route plotting?
Old 10-20-2008 | 09:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

how lond did everyone stay after the game?
It was dark and before dawn. There were people laying in the street. Beer cans everywhere.

I would guess it was past 3am. But I have moved my boat into the Vinoy Basin and we stayed overnight onboard. Tonite there was a party on the St Pete Pier for the Rays. We watched from the deck instead of participating in the 'Human Crush'.