Upgraded to Acura Navi 4.31

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded to Acura Navi 4.31

I'm not sure if this is unique to me but after upgrading to the latest Acura Navi disk all address book entries (home etc...) were gone. Has anyone else upgraded and noticed the same behavior? This is very frustrating to me as I literlly spent an hour and a half a week before manually entering all my contacts!

Mike
Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike - I cannot speak for the RL, but when I had upgraded the disk in my TSX they did not delete
Old 11-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Mike,

I upgraded to 4.31 last month and it did not delete any of my entries.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Dr. E in TN

I was wondering logistically how you had your upgrade installed. Did you order the disc and have it delivered to the dealership for installation?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

For the upgrade you order the DVD and put it in the dvd drive in your trunk and it will automatically upgrade.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by vp911
For the upgrade you order the DVD and put it in the dvd drive in your trunk and it will automatically upgrade.
Are you saying that you can put the DVD in the trunk yourself and if so how?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

There are directions in the manual. It's very simple. Open the panel, the DVD will eject, put the new DVD in, close the panel.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ishanb
There are directions in the manual. It's very simple. Open the panel, the DVD will eject, put the new DVD in, close the panel.
Exactly. Push the eject button - the old dvd will pop out, put the new one in and it will load the software. You are done. Open your trunk - the DVD drive is in the top left portion of the trunk.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Dr. E in TN

Thanks again for the information. Just to double clarify. I can order the new DVD upgrade and have it delivered to my home and consult my owner's manual to simply eject the old one and put in the new one without any fancy mechanical work whatsoever? The system will recognize the upgrade without me having to do anything? I just don't want to "mess anything up."
Old 11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dr. E in TN
Thanks again for the information. Just to double clarify. I can order the new DVD upgrade and have it delivered to my home and consult my owner's manual to simply eject the old one and put in the new one without any fancy mechanical work whatsoever? The system will recognize the upgrade without me having to do anything? I just don't want to "mess anything up."

Exactly. You can't possibly have problems with this. It is the exact same as putting in a DVD into your dvd player to watch a movie.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Dr. E in TN

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. E in TN

The DVD comes with step-by-step instructions for handling the DVD, removing the old one, and upgrading. Just follow each step carefully and you can't go wrong!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Dr. E in TN

Thanks to you too for your input.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by gizmowizard
The DVD comes with step-by-step instructions for handling the DVD, removing the old one, and upgrading. Just follow each step carefully and you can't go wrong!
I have ordered my 2006 upgrade. Have you noticed any changes with the 06 upgrade that I might be looking for when I load my disc this week?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Do I have 4.31?

The Alpine site indicates that free flowing traffic on 4.31 shows as green bars, however I loaded the 4.31 NAV disc and I am still seeing blue lines. That was the way I was going to determine that the new version loaded OK and now I'm wondering if it did. Does anyone have this same problem and does anyone know of any other way to determine if the disc 'loaded' properly?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

You can check the version that is loaded in the navi boot software - I will go out to the car tonight or in the morning to find the exact steps to get to the diagnostic menu (unless somebody else chimes in before I get back) - and you can check the version.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

You can check the version that is loaded in the navi boot software - I will go out to the car tonight or in the morning to find the exact steps to get to the diagnostic menu (unless somebody else chimes in before I get back) - and you can check the version.
Thanks. I appreciate your assistance.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

(I am pulling this information out of the service manual) To get to the diagnostic menu you have to hold down the Menu + Map + Cancel buttons simultaneously. After a few seconds a diagnostic menu will show up. There should be an option for the version number. When you get that, compare it to what is on the DVD (Not sure if they will match or not). Also post it here, and I will get my version number (I still have the original disc) then we can tell if yours was updated to the newest version or not.

Also, just a warning - when you are in the diagnostic mode, you do not want to touch anything. The service manual specifically states to the Acura technicians "Donwload: Do not touch, unless instructed by the factory."
Old 12-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Before you go to a dealer to have them figure it out, there are things you can do to try to have it load the new navi dvd. You can disconnect the battery for an extended period of time (or just pull the fuses to the navi and radio) so then the system completely resets and is forced to download the new software. You would need to re-enter you navi and radio codes when doing this.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

(I am pulling this information out of the service manual) To get to the diagnostic menu you have to hold down the Menu + Map + Cancel buttons simultaneously. After a few seconds a diagnostic menu will show up. There should be an option for the version number. When you get that, compare it to what is on the DVD (Not sure if they will match or not). Also post it here, and I will get my version number (I still have the original disc) then we can tell if yours was updated to the newest version or not.

Also, just a warning - when you are in the diagnostic mode, you do not want to touch anything. The service manual specifically states to the Acura technicians "Donwload: Do not touch, unless instructed by the factory."
Here are the values that are showing...

Program Flash - 1.10.00.SC.BNKA
Program Disk -
IPL 0.231.000
APL 0.310.122
DBOOT 0.241.122
System uCom 0.910.000
Model SJAA

I just checked again and I'm still seeing blue traffic flows (I happen to look at I87 near the Tappen Zee Bridge). I know when I remove the disc it shows a message on the screen until I load it again, so it must recognize the new 4.31 disc, but since Alpine states that free flowing traffic is now green, I'm just not sure if there is more to this than simply removing the old disc and inserting the new one.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

Before you go to a dealer to have them figure it out, there are things you can do to try to have it load the new navi dvd. You can disconnect the battery for an extended period of time (or just pull the fuses to the navi and radio) so then the system completely resets and is forced to download the new software. You would need to re-enter you navi and radio codes when doing this.
If I wanted to try the fuse option, where would I got to get the NAVI and radio codes before I pulled the fuse?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

The dealer should have given them to you with your papers. Check in with the manuals to see if they are there. If I remember correctly they are on little white stickers.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

I will go out in a few minutes to check what my software version is.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

The dealer should have given them to you with your papers. Check in with the manuals to see if they are there. If I remember correctly they are on little white stickers.
OK. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry about the delay - I felt kinda lazy and didn't want to go out in the cold 20 degrees

Anyways here is the info from my nav system:
Program flash: 1.10.00SC.BNKA
Disc: 1.10.0000
IPL: 0.231.000
APL: 0.251.122
Dboot: 0.241.122
sys ucom: 0.980.000

When you posted your information earlier - you didn't say what disc version you had. ? I point this out because that will be the most important infomration to compare to.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

When you posted your information earlier - you didn't say what disc version you had. ?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry about the delay - I felt kinda lazy and didn't want to go out in the cold 20 degrees

Anyways here is the info from my nav system:
Program flash: 1.10.00SC.BNKA
Disc: 1.10.0000
IPL: 0.231.000
APL: 0.251.122
Dboot: 0.241.122
sys ucom: 0.980.000

When you posted your information earlier - you didn't say what disc version you had. ? I point this out because that will be the most important infomration to compare to.
Thanks for checking. There's definately a difference, but I'm not sure if it's due to something not 'loading' or something completely different. I had replaced the 4.13B version with the 4.31A (newest) version. I simply opened the DVD unit, unloaded 4.13B, and then inserted 4.31A and closed the DVD unit.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Peter_L
Thanks for checking. There's definately a difference, but I'm not sure if it's due to something not 'loading' or something completely different. I had replaced the 4.13B version with the 4.31A (newest) version. I simply opened the DVD unit, unloaded 4.13B, and then inserted 4.31A and closed the DVD unit.
When you closed the DVD drive, did the navi screen say anything like loading new software do not shut off car? I don't remember exactly - but I *think* the TSX and TL said that when updating to new software.

I would definately try pulling the fuses - there are a couple which you need to pull and I will get the fuse numbers for you
Old 12-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Cruisin'

When you closed the DVD drive, did the navi screen say anything like loading new software do not shut off car? I don't remember exactly - but I *think* the TSX and TL said that when updating to new software.

I would definately try pulling the fuses - there are a couple which you need to pull and I will get the fuse numbers for you
No update message; just the normal boot-up screen. I had left the car running throught the entire process. When I get up the nerve, I'll try the fuse option. Or if I don't get the nerve up, I guess I'll take it to a dealer and ask them.

Thanks for all of your help, though!!
Old 12-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

No problem Peter. The fuses you need to pull are (and of course, do this when the car is off - turn on after you pull the fuses): No 32 (10Amp) and No 7 (10Amp). - both of those are the drivers side fuse box.

This is a pretty safe way to try to resolve it without going to the dealer (which they generally don't know anything anyways)

Not sure why it didn't tell you that it was updating. I wonder if other people's system told them that it was updating or not.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

No problem Peter. The fuses you need to pull are (and of course, do this when the car is off - turn on after you pull the fuses): No 32 (10Amp) and No 7 (10Amp). - both of those are the drivers side fuse box.

This is a pretty safe way to try to resolve it without going to the dealer (which they generally don't know anything anyways)

Not sure why it didn't tell you that it was updating. I wonder if other people's system told them that it was updating or not.
Thanks for this additional info.

It's interesting that so many of us feel the same way about the dealers. It's a sad state of affairs when the dealers know so little about their own vehicles!!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Go to a lexus dealer and they will treat you like a king when you are in for service. They are just that damn good. Any problems, they won't let it go until they resolve it. At least that has been my experience with our local lexus dealer. There is a reason I will be getting my mother a new RX when her lease expires next year. The RX330 is looking like a great choice. 24-48 hour notice for appointments and they will give you a loaner. Give them a few extra days notice and they will do picup/drop off service to work, home, etc. When Acura gets to this level of service - I bet a lot of lexus sales will be stolen.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After I got my RL last November, a new disc was sent to me for free sometime early this year. I remember that when I installed the new disc the instructions indicated it was going to load new software and not to touch the unit while it was updating. I also recall seeing a message on the Nav screen that showed new software was being installed.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
After I got my RL last November, a new disc was sent to me for free sometime early this year. I remember that when I installed the new disc the instructions indicated it was going to load new software and not to touch the unit while it was updating. I also recall seeing a message on the Nav screen that showed new software was being installed.
You are likely referring to version 4.13B, which contained a software update that automatically loaded when you first insert the disc. Acura decided to provide the update via DVD rather than have all of the affected customers have to go to their dealers for the update. I had received that disc and observed the software load that you did. Version 4.31A does not have this kind of software update; it is supposedly a self-contained update.

I am currently working with ACS to try to determine if something is wrong. As of yesterday, I was told that if you enter a route, free flowing traffic should be shown in blue but if you are just 'searching' for traffic or driving without entering a route, the free flow traffic shown appear green. In my case, free flow traffic with the 4.31A disc shows as blue in both cases. So I still don't know if you need the '06v RL for the green or if something else is wrong. ACS asked me for the software version from the setup screen; maybe that has something to do with the issue. Mine is showing as 1.10.00 with a date of 20050428. I'll see what they say once I get that info to them later today.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
kgd
Instructor

My understanding is that the new version has a menu command for the "display traffic list" vs. the old version only had this as a voice command. That may be a way to tell the difference.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

kgd makes an excellent point. I forgot about that.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kgd
My understanding is that the new version has a menu command for the "display traffic list" vs. the old version only had this as a voice command. That may be a way to tell the difference.
KGD,

Thanks. I'll try that. ACS is also looking into this for me. They are as perplexed as I am at this point, but they are guessing that I might have what they believe to be an early run of the version that may actually be missing some of the features. The good news is that ACS is being very helpful at this point. Thanks again for the suggestion.