PALM TREO 680 w/ HFL

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Lightbulb PALM TREO 680 w/ HFL

I recently took the plunge for a PDA smartphone and thought I would share some feedback for those concerned with HFL compatability and performance. I will not review the Treo as a whole, but just characteristics with the HFL & AcuraLink.

First, let me say my carrier is ATT / Cingular. Many phone models are 'enhanced' or configured for a particular carrier and may respond differently. Next, I had been using a Moto RAZR V3 which was flawless with HFL. It did voice and data, connected and disconnected from the HFL seamlessly. A blue light flashed when it was connected, which I liked as the RL does not display a phone icon in the LCD like the TL. A message 'Disconnected' from HFL' displayed with a beep when the car was shut off. No problems with the RAZR, other than no battery meter displayed in the MID.

I have been wanting a PDA / Smartphone for some time, and the Blackberry Curve was high on my list. I decided I would narrow th pack with a PDA / smartphone what wasmost compatible with the RL HFL & Acuralink. Per HFL minisite and my carrier (ATT) the TREO 680 was the only model that did voice (HFL), data (Acuralink) and also displays batter and signal strength on the MID. I bit (although I still lust for the Blackberry Curve).

Now 3 weeks later, I can say I am using the PDA more than I had expected. It did pair and test datalink without incident (I tested at the ATT store before I signed). And the HFL features work as indicated on the HFL minisite.

But, performance wise, it is not very stable...particularly the Bluetooth stack.
The RAZR rarely dropped a call. The TREO drops 1 in 5.
The TREO typically drops the 1st outbound call, then redialling, it connects.
The TREO Bluetooth locks up periodically requiring a reboot (which is removing the back cover, popping the battery and reinstall). How assinine is that? No BUTTON to reboot? And try this while driving....assinine X 10.
After leaving the car, and another call comes in the TREO thinks it is still linked to HFL (the headset icon still displays). You have to tap the 'Cancel Bluetooth' icon on the touch screen to take the call with the handset. How seamles is that?

Another issue is hanging up a call with HFL using the Back / Cancel button on the steering wheel. It does work, however there is a delay of 3-5 seconds after tapping the button and the TREO disconnects and the stereo engages. I have tried multiple taps or pressing and holding the button. It seems the TREO is eager to hold onto the call. It does seem to release more quickly when the call signal is dropped from the other party hanging up. Otherwise, be prepared to wait. The RAZR esponded instantly to the Back / Cancel button.

A few configuration mentionables:

Be sure you tag the HFL as a 'Trusted' device. Otherwise each time you enter the car, it will ask you to pair the device.

In the Preferences Tab => uncheck the 'Automatically route calls to HFL' (unless you have a headset paired) Unchecked, the HFL of the car still operates and the TREO is less likely to get stuck in HFL mode thinking it is still linked to the car or looking for another HFL headset to transfer to.

I recommend rebooting the TREO (pop the battery) before any drive where you expect a lot of calling. It just seems to clear cache or something that causes this flimsy Bluetooth stack from locking up.

After the experience with the RAZR, I would conclue these flaws are not HFL but the TREO Bluetooth stack. I have read various boards on the TREO and it seems to be inherent to the TREO. Other car HFL have worse problems and many headsets too.

In summary, I like the TREO for the PDA offerings. As a phone - so so. And for integration with the RL's HFL (the primary reason I selected the TREO 680) it works, but unstable....poor.

I have one week to decide if I want to cancel my TREO 680 upgrade and revert back to my Moto RAZR.

I feel like I just wrote a review for the Moto RAZR V3.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have a VZW Treo 700p and it works flawlessly with HFL except for one thing: If I get a text message and don't clear the screen, I can't call out using HFL. I get a rare drop of the BT signal in the middle of a call, but it's infrequent enough that I ignore it.

It could be just your phone, Treos have had some reliability issues lately.

You may want to post this issue on TreoCentral's Treo 680 board. TreoCentral is where I go when I have Treo issues. There's been one software update already for AT&T's Treo 680 and another is anticipated soon, so you may want to find out if it's got the most up-to-date software.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I have a VZW Treo 700p and it works flawlessly with HFL except for one thing: If I get a text message and don't clear the screen, I can't call out using HFL. I get a rare drop of the BT signal in the middle of a call, but it's infrequent enough that I ignore it.

It could be just your phone, Treos have had some reliability issues lately.

You may want to post this issue on TreoCentral's Treo 680 board. TreoCentral is where I go when I have Treo issues. There's been one software update already for AT&T's Treo 680 and another is anticipated soon, so you may want to find out if it's got the most up-to-date software.

Thanks Bob. I have been reading TreoCentral (lurking). My Treo 680 has the current update from ATT / Palm. From what I have been reading the 680 has had a lot worse issues than I have been experiencing. I think the Bluetooth stack in the 680 is not as reliable as I experienced with the RAZR. I've read there may be patches coming to improve Bluetooth performance.

The 700p with VZW has some other configurations and maybe more stable. Each carrier has the software and sometimes hardware tweeked to their network and it can cause behavior diferences from brand to brand. Unlocked phones have yet other issues as patches ma be custom to brand / carrier. Ultimately there are too many software combinations, configurations and interfaces to be tested adequately. They seem to respond (slowly) by how much noise comes back from the consumers (testers). Sound familiar?

Thanks for the tip on the message alert. I will check to clear my text messages and see if that clears the 1st call dropped issue I noted. All in all, it does work, but not as seemlessly as the RAZR.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I read your write up. I use ATT and was considering the Treo 680 but after reading your detailed write up I changed my mind.

I have been looking at the IPAQ 510 Voice Messenger but can't find any discussions for thr RL.

If I were you, return the Treo, get your Razor and a separate PDA.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:15 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

i use the 700w...and am waiting for the 750wx from verizon and hope to be "the first on my block" to own one. The 700 works really well in the car under normal use. (no signal strength or battery display) When the car is off and still in range, the phone will not let me properly connect, unless I change to speakerphone, then it works fine. What happens is I answer the phone (push the green button) and no one is there. I push speakerphone and they are there. I turn the speakerphone off and they are there once again.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Blackberry is stable

You may want to reconsider and go with the Blackberry. I use the 8700C. HFL works without incident and does display battery and signal strength. BUT, if you want Acuralink, it doesn't do the data transfer. I don't know what I'm missing in in the Acuralink area but at least the phone and pda functions are stable.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by kmcheney
You may want to reconsider and go with the Blackberry. I use the 8700C. HFL works without incident and does display battery and signal strength. BUT, if you want Acuralink, it doesn't do the data transfer. I don't know what I'm missing in in the Acuralink area but at least the phone and pda functions are stable.
Thanks kmcheney. From what I read and demo'd, in the ATT offerings, the Blackberry Curve was the most attractive. However, I wanted a PDA/Smartphone for full functionality with HFL and Acuralink an the Blackberry models did not accomodate.

Medrxman: Yeah, I really liked the seamlessness and performance of the RAZR. But aside from PDA functions, I needed email and web access. The RAZR's web access and lack of a qwerty keyboard was too slow and painful.

I guess the integration cell phone, PDA, web access into a model that is fully HFL and Acuralink capable is somewhere in ATT's future. The TREO 680 has it on paper, but as I have reported, not so sick in real life. I have a few days to decide if it is worth living with the TREO 680 for a year or so until a better offering surfaces. I am hoping Blackberry will integrate better with HFL ad include te data modem.

I wrote Palm One concernin my Bluetooth issues and the response I got was the recent upgrade / patch shoud have fixed them. Unfortunately my phone is new and it already had the patch. Good job Palm.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Exclamation

Well I have 4 days left to return the Treo 680 in my 30 day agreement with ATT. I don't think I had a single day in the last 3 weeks where it performed flawlessly. It has really made me appreciate the Bluetooth stack in the RAZR V3!

But before I decide to revert back to the RAZR, I had my eye on a Blackberry Curve. The Acura HFL site indicates the Curve is still in testing. But all the other Blackberry models have the same capabilities - just no datalink , so I would expect the Curve to do the same.

Does anyone have a Curve working with the RL? I might trade the datalink capability to keep the web/PDA capabilities my RAZR cannot support.

If not, the Treo 680 goes back, and I keep the RAZR with its seamless HFL support, until newer, better models can support the RL features and my need to access the web from the phone!

I just want it ALL!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

dear tamparl,

i have owned a treo 700 since march 06...as a phone it is iffy at best...every single day (at least once a day or more, I need to pop the battery to do a reset) as a portable computer to handle email, ebay purchases, pictures upload, download, manipulation of both word & excel documents. As a verizon customer, ive been waiting long for the newest treo 7**w which has been rumored to be coming out any day since march 07. This newest model is to have fully tested windows mobile 6 which is supposed to have a lot less glitches. Inspite of the crappy phone aspect...i wouldn't even consider any other brand.,,,call me crazy!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Thanks larry....

I concur. I generally like the Treo 680. As a PDA is great, and as a handheld phone it is OK. My issues are its reliance for use with the RL's HFL. It is really rooted in the flimsy Bluetooth stack and maybe the supporting software. Considering it is a relatively sophisticated device otherwise, it surprises me the Bluetooth is so unreliable. I spoke with an ATT tech today and she eluded that the Treo 680 has Bluetooth issues. She confirmed the RAZR Bluetooth was superior. Considering how commonplace Bluetooth is nowadays, PALM dropped the ball on this configuration.

When she told me about soft reboot (pop the battery) as a common need I asked why the heck don't they have a button to reboot!? She admitted this was a huge complaint on the Treo 680.

I too pop the battery multiple times a day....usually as I am walking to the car. And then sometimes when I am driving as it locks up the HFL and I cannot call, hang up or get the stereo back on.

I am passing my findings to Acura as well so perhaps they can make notations on the HFL minisite.

For ATT subscriber considering the TREO 680...I'd think twice. Keep in mind there are other TREO models and they also differ in configuration based on the carrier that supports them.

Great concept. Lousy execution. It's toast.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

i almost forgot to add...once you reboot, you need to go to settings and turn the bluetooth options back on. once i do that, my phone works with my car....except sometimes when the car is turned off, i get phone calls where there is no one there...then i switch to speaker, ok someone is there, then i switch back to my phone earpeiece and all is cool.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Red face

Well I took the Treo 680 back today....

The ATT guy was very cool and noted there has been issues with this model's Bluetooth. I'll be watching the new models and the Acura HFL for my next try for a PDA smartphone.

I had the RAZR powered up, paired and data connected in seconds. It's nice to have that seemless functionality again. I guess I never realized how robust the RAZR Bluetooth stack was...until I did not have it!

Maybe the next gen PALM Treo will have it's act together and also have ATT 3G speed!