PA15-HON2 Ipod hookup question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought the PA15-HON2 iPod connection for my 06 RL, and this does not show text through the factory navigation system. Reviews stated that the PA15-HON2 showed text through the nav system. The only text displayed is the CD#, what playlist number (1-6), and track# which is all displayed on the small multifunction display above the nav screen. The iPod does sound crystal clear, but I was hoping for detailed information and better control of my iPod through the cars nav system. I called USA Spec (the company who makes this specific unit model) to see what the specific iPod connection model is that allows text to be displayed on the factory nav system, and they said you have to order the PA15-ACUx1. PA15-HON2 goes through the CD changer port, where as PA15-ACUx1 goes through the XM radio port, which apparently allows more iPod information to be displayed. Nobody wants to see "Extension" on the big nav screen. Lame. Its about $20 more than the PA15-HON2. I just returned my PA15-HON2 and will be installing the correct unit, which displays more detailed info (track name, playlist name, album name, etc.), in about a week. I'll let you know how that works.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECU Pirate06AF
.......I just returned my PA15-HON2 and will be installing the correct unit, which displays more detailed info (track name, playlist name, album name, etc.), in about a week. I'll let you know how that works.
It sounds like you installed this yourself? If so, can you provide any insight, details, instructions, pics, etc. on installing it?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Anybody want to sell their old unit that doesnt display the way they want it to? All im looking for is something with aux rca plugs so that i can get the audio from my external DVD player. Anybody? Will help pay for their new unit a bit... figured id give it a shot since i dont use a Ipod or Iphone and not worried about the display. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 AM
EKY
Advanced

If the PA15-ACUx1 works through the XM radio port... what about Hawaii cars which don't have any XM button? how would this work?

I currently have the Acura Muisc Link which shoes "extention"

Does anyone know if the PA15-ACUx1 works on Hawaii models?

Originally Posted by ECU Pirate06AF
I just bought the PA15-HON2 iPod connection for my 06 RL, and this does not show text through the factory navigation system. Reviews stated that the PA15-HON2 showed text through the nav system. The only text displayed is the CD#, what playlist number (1-6), and track# which is all displayed on the small multifunction display above the nav screen. The iPod does sound crystal clear, but I was hoping for detailed information and better control of my iPod through the cars nav system. I called USA Spec (the company who makes this specific unit model) to see what the specific iPod connection model is that allows text to be displayed on the factory nav system, and they said you have to order the PA15-ACUx1. PA15-HON2 goes through the CD changer port, where as PA15-ACUx1 goes through the XM radio port, which apparently allows more iPod information to be displayed. Nobody wants to see "Extension" on the big nav screen. Lame. Its about $20 more than the PA15-HON2. I just returned my PA15-HON2 and will be installing the correct unit, which displays more detailed info (track name, playlist name, album name, etc.), in about a week. I'll let you know how that works.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 AM
5th Gear

Just had the ACU installed on an '06 RL with Tech Package.

A few notes:
1) When plugged in XM1 becomes XM2, XM2 goes away, and the iPod becomes XM1. When unplugged, everything shifts back.

2) I use an iPhone. When plugging it in, it whines about interference and suggests going to airplane mode. I told it no and everything worked fine.

I'm happy to answer any questions.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkBarbieri

A few notes:
1) When plugged in XM1 becomes XM2, XM2 goes away, and the iPod becomes XM1. When unplugged, everything shifts back.

2) I use an iPhone. When plugging it in, it whines about interference and suggests going to airplane mode. I told it no and everything worked fine.

Does the iPhone music information display on the navigation screen? (i.e. Artist, Song, etc.)
Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jhal
Does the iPhone music information display on the navigation screen? (i.e. Artist, Song, etc.)
Yes, it does. I'll try to do a quick video to show how it works.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 AM
5th Gear

Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wii60
So, this device will only work for ipods, no USB sticks like on the 09 RLs?
And this may sound like a dumb question (but then, I'm a dumb guy), but will this product work with a Microsoft Zune?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bird jam
And this may sound like a dumb question (but then, I'm a dumb guy), but will this product work with a Microsoft Zune?
In the AUX input yes. But no song info, ability to control, or anything like that will be displayed. Think of it like plugging it into your home stero via the 2.5 MM plug. you get sound only.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfarabaugh
In the AUX input yes. But no song info, ability to control, or anything like that will be displayed. Think of it like plugging it into your home stero via the 2.5 MM plug. you get sound only.
I see. Thank you. I really want to be able to play my Zune in my car (and have it sound good, so the FM modulator route isn't an option.) Is this product pretty much endorsed by all who have tried it?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
4th Gear

Would this work for 05'-08' RL?

USB Audio Interface for Insight/Fit with the 2 port bus cable.

PN: 08A28-0K1-100 (USB Audio Interface for Insight/Fit)
PN: 08A31-0F1-000 (2 port Bus cable)
PN: 08B28-TM8-100A (Insight USB Adapter Attachment Kit)

Install the USB interface as if it was Music Link device. I like this setup better than the PA15 ACU XL is that you can use both iPod, USB mass storage devices and have all the same functionality as the ACU XL.

NOTE: The 09' RL has similar USB interface unit that you can buy but it cost twice as much than the Honda version. I'm assuming Honda would not make two different version with the same interface.

PN: 39113-SJA-003 (09' RL USB interface module)

Last edited by 08RL_Viet; 09-17-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EKY
If the PA15-ACUx1 works through the XM radio port... what about Hawaii cars which don't have any XM button? how would this work?

I currently have the Acura Muisc Link which shoes "extention"

Does anyone know if the PA15-ACUx1 works on Hawaii models?
As a fellow Hawaii owner (and former neighbor), I'm sorry to say but we have no recourse - other than to pick up a headunit with the XM input.

After looking around and pricing it out it's not worth it. I'm thinking about figuring out a way to integrate an aftermarket headunit, but that's assuming I have the time to research further. Until then - "EXTENSION" will live on..
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear

A few notes:

Thanks much for the great info and video. I have one other question for you. I have an 09 MDX w/ Tech&Ent and none of my XM or other audio interface functions take place on the nav screen. All the channel and artist info is on the radio data screen and the nav screen stays on the nav map. My question is, does the PA15-ACU-XL override the nav map the entire time you're using your ipod or can you switch back to the map once you've selected the playlist or song you want? I assume hitting the Map button brings the nav map back up but then how do you get back to the ACU ipod interface screen? Does it auto switch back to the map after a delay?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
EKY
Advanced

Originally Posted by abusive
As a fellow Hawaii owner (and former neighbor), I'm sorry to say but we have no recourse - other than to pick up a headunit with the XM input.

After looking around and pricing it out it's not worth it. I'm thinking about figuring out a way to integrate an aftermarket headunit, but that's assuming I have the time to research further. Until then - "EXTENSION" will live on..
Thanks for the input. I don't know why Acura did this.. I mean what if we were to move to the mainland.. then what?

Are you still living in Kailua?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EKY
Thanks for the input. I don't know why Acura did this.. I mean what if we were to move to the mainland.. then what?

Are you still living in Kailua?
I agree - it's baffling why the feature, even if not functional (I think there was an issue with the XM satellites not covering Hawaii back in 04), wasn't included.

And yeah, still living in Kailua. Bought another place near norfolk a few years ago and finally moved in about two years ago. Love it - 20 minutes drive to and from my office in town.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM
5th Gear

So far what I think I have read is that the ACU XL connects in the trunk of the car, for an 05 RL?

This seems like a much better option for diy'ers than taking apart the console and removing the head unit. Can someone confirm this? Also, I assume the cable is long enough to run to the armrest for the ipod hookup?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by budf15
Thanks much for the great info and video. I have one other question for you. I have an 09 MDX w/ Tech&Ent and none of my XM or other audio interface functions take place on the nav screen. All the channel and artist info is on the radio data screen and the nav screen stays on the nav map. My question is, does the PA15-ACU-XL override the nav map the entire time you're using your ipod or can you switch back to the map once you've selected the playlist or song you want? I assume hitting the Map button brings the nav map back up but then how do you get back to the ACU ipod interface screen? Does it auto switch back to the map after a delay?

Thanks for the help.
Bud, your vehicle will function exactly as it did before -- the only thing this adapter does is replace one of the two XM preset screens (iPOD is XM1, XM is XM2). Everything as far as operation will be the same as before.

Chris
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info. I'm an idiot. Didn't realize the RL's XM interface was so different than the MDX. I don't have any XM info on the nav screen. My XM stations are selected via the 1-6 hard buttons and the only XM data I see is on the 2 line digital display, not the nav screen.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by budf15
Thanks for the info. I'm an idiot. Didn't realize the RL's XM interface was so different than the MDX. I don't have any XM info on the nav screen. My XM stations are selected via the 1-6 hard buttons and the only XM data I see is on the 2 line digital display, not the nav screen.
Ahhhh, got it. Yeah, if you see the picture of the RL's nav screen a few posts up from this one, you'll see what I'm talking about

Chris
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 AM
3rd Gear

So, I finally got the PA15-ACUX1 installed in my '06 RL after three weeks since I said it would be installed. I do not know how to hook up the unit, so I had a car audio store install the unit. I didn't want to risk messing anything up. This unit is perfect for people who only like to listen to a few iPod playlists or listen to music on shuffle because the interface only changes the artists, songs, albums, or playlist one at a time. The ACU unit does not list all songs, artist, etc. like in the iPod itself. Its also changes songs, artist, etc. kinda slow. Still convenient since I do listen to my iPod on shuffle when driving, and I can change the music from the controls on the center stack or steering wheel and see all the music information on the nav screen. (MarkBarbieri's post #168 is the exact ACU music information display). Like 'CFoote' stated on post #178, the navigation system functions like normal with the exception of the XM radio which changes XM1 to XM2 and the new XM1 becomes the iPod function (when the iPod is connected). Overall, clear sound and no real complaints.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
'05 RL & '10 MDX

How clear is the sound using the PA15 ACU XL? Is it as clear as mp3's burned to a CD?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Racer

Can someone with this adapter please try and steam some Internet music (i.e. radio station, etc) from their iPhone? I am assuming that it would work, but wasn't sure....

Chris
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear

The sound is clear as mp3's burned to a cd. The sound clarity and the music info are the biggest benefits of the adapter in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

So where is everyone getting their adaptor?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

Just bought the PA15 ACU XL arrived yesterday when I went t install it today the conectors for the XM transmitter did not match. Was very disapointed but thats what I get for buying on ebay. I'm new so I can not post pic's. When I can I will show the complete install.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine (USA Spec PA15-AcuXL for a 05 RL) from autotoys.com $149 (shipped if you use paypal). They shipped same day (though don't promise that), and it was a breeze to install:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/just-installed-usa-spec-pa15-acuxl-05-rl-750012/
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Autotoys.com has it for $149, but i just ordered it at http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...5ACUXL)&c=iPod Accessories&sku= for $139.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Advanced

The PA15-AcuXL connects to the XM module in the trunk as opposed to the head unit?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Yup, the ACU-XL installs in the trunk

It's on driver side, by the gas cap. There will be two wire harnesses connecting to it, but only one is the right size for the USA spec device and it's harness. You will likely want to place the USA Spec module in the car (I placed mine in in the driver's foot well under the carpet), closer to the dash (you have ample cable), but the iPod cable from the USA Spec device may (not sure) be long enough to reach if you mount it in the trunk.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ReverendOlaf
It's on driver side, by the gas cap. There will be two wire harnesses connecting to it, but only one is the right size for the USA spec device and it's harness. You will likely want to place the USA Spec module in the car (I placed mine in in the driver's foot well under the carpet), closer to the dash (you have ample cable), but the iPod cable from the USA Spec device may (not sure) be long enough to reach if you mount it in the trunk.
Thanks for the info. So I am guess I am a little confused. The PA15-HON2 connected to the back of the head unit. However, the new ACU-XL doesn't need to connect to the head unit, if I am understanding you correctly? Is this true for all RL's (05-08)?

I have an iPhone, so I am not interested in mounting it in the trunk. I would like to have it in the center console. Is this possible with the length of the cables?

Do you have any pictures of the install? Thanks for the insight and assistance.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Sadly no pics

Oddly enough, I'm an avid photographer, but I installed the gizmo in a bit of a rush, thus no pics. I don't really want to take anything apart, so I'll have to describe the best I can.

Since the PA15-ACUxl tricks the head unit into seeing the iPod/iPhone as an XM station, it gets hooked up there (I suppose they could have engineered to connect to the head unit, but the trunk is way easier. fyi--I don't think its possible to connect the PA15-ACUxl to the head unit). I don't know where the other adapters connect, but since they seem to use the CD changer interface, I suppose connecting to the head unit makes sense.

There are two cables that come with the PA15-ACUxl. One connects to the XM radio in the trunk. That end has a y-connector for connecting to the factory cable. The cable is very long. I was able to run it from the XM radio, routed behind the carpet in the trunk, through to the back seat (near the pass through, but outside that specific passage way), tucked into the base of the seat, then down to the door, and under the trim in the back seat doorway. From here, I crossed under the front seat to the console, and I had enough cable to run to the footwell. If I wanted to, I could put it on the front bumper. There is plenty of cable. Anyway, this cable connects to the actual PA15-ACUxl. Another cable connects that device to the iPod/iPhone. That one is also rather long too.

From everything I read, the PA15-ACUxl works for all 2nd gen RLs, so 05-08 all should be fine. I honestly cannot think of any reason to go with any other solution or to not pull the trigger (assuming one has $150). It's an easy install, requires no tools (disassembling your console will require a couple tools), provides a quality audio experience, and does an adequate job with the UI options available--all without losing any functionality.

Here's a guide (for the Acura Music Link) that shows how to disassemble the console (which also shows how hard it is to install other systems that require removing the head unit):

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII33575.pdf

FYI, I couldn't figure out how to get the cupholder out. It seems to just be clipped in, but it wouldn't budge after removing the prerequisite bits (the area around the shifter was a bit of a challenge, but it came out).
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Advanced

....... I crossed under the front seat to the console, and I had enough cable to run to the footwell. If I wanted to, I could put it on the front bumper. There is plenty of cable. Anyway, this cable connects to the actual PA15-ACUxl. Another cable connects that device to the iPod/iPhone. That one is also rather long too.
Thank you for the very detailed explanation as well as the link. It should definitely help.

I was originally considering the PA15-HON2, which installed via the head unit. Thus my surprise when I found out the PA15-ACUxl did not need to connect to the head unit. I just assumed it connected to the head unit as well. This was the reason I was holding out getting it as I was apprehensive about removing the head unit. The PA15-ACUxl seems like it would be much easier to install.

It sounds like you have the unit mounted / placed in the center console? Did you need to remove both the driver's and passenger's seat side console trim (#16/#17 in the pdf)?

Thanks again!!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Can anyone give me a quick and painless way of removing the carpet in the trunk to access the XM unit in my 2006 RL?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

A few notes:

Can you tell me whether this device would display languages other than English, more specifically Korean? If not, is there a technical support I can call to ask?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CFoote
Can someone with this adapter please try and steam some Internet music (i.e. radio station, etc) from their iPhone? I am assuming that it would work, but wasn't sure....

Chris
I use radio apps more than the iPod. Works flawlessly. Just know that the Ipod deaults when you connect the phone, so when you start an app, the ipod will fade out and the radio app will start playing.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright.. so received the unit (ACU-XL) tonight and went to install it. Overall - took about 20-25 minutes. Hardest part was to get the carpet (liner) out. I was being too careful and didn't want to fold it but then realized that's the only way.

All connected and Ipod came on like it was supposed to. Sound quality is great.

Questions though....
When in playlist, I use tune to go back and forth the track number, however it would skip as it was in random (skipping bunch of track). But if I use CH +/- on the steering wheel, it goes one track after another. Anyone experience this?

Also, I have korean songs but display would come out distorted. (all in question mark) Do you know if device can be upgraded to display other languages? Or does it have more to do with the screen itself?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Ok, I'm thinking about ordering this for my car. I have a 16 gb iPhone and an 80 gb iPod classic. Is there any difference in how the usaspec adaptor works with either an iPhone or iPod?

I was actually considering selling my iPod...but it's only worth about 100 bucks....and it will hold my entire music collection...which my iPhone won't. I almost wonder if it would make sense to keep the iPod and leave it in the car....

Is there any pro con if you use an iPhone, have it plugged in for music and then get a call? VS if I had my iPhone in my pocket, connected to handsfree link, and the iPod was plugged into the adaptor...then I got a call? If I use both devices, will the car recognize the call, mute my iPod and then switch over to handsfree if I answer the call?

I assume it would, but figured I'd get some I put from you all before I decide for sure if I want to hook this up and use an iPod or an iPhone?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

i found this video helpful for install on an MDX 08 so should work for 07-09 as well

Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Racer

I know this thread is talking about the US Spec unit and also the Blitzsafe PA15-HON2... I ended up going with the PA15-HON2 because I switch betewen Android and iPhone all the time and just wanted a AUX Input...

Found the Blitzsafe on EBay for $70, free shipping and a free 6ft cable...couldn't beat that. Installed it last night. This one hooked into the radio directly which is kinda nice (less wires to run).

I've seen the US Spec unit and its really nice...but I can't commit to an iPhone and if Apple ends up changing the connection cable that might become an issue, although I'm sure they will make an updated cable for sale for those who have the US Spec unit and get a iPhone 5.

Chris