Just installed USA Spec PA15-AcuXL in 05 RL

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just installed USA Spec PA15-AcuXL in 05 RL

Having read these forums and others, it seemed the best bet for adding an iPod on a 2005 RL is via the USA Spec PA15-AcuXL. I say this because it preserves XM, displays song info and allows control via the cars controls and/or the iPod. The extra rca input is an added bonus.

Whilest waiting for the gizmo to arrive (ordered via Autotoys.com $149 with free shipping via Paypal), I found out that this unit connects via the XM module which is in the trunk (drivers side right by gas cap). This really simplifies things, as you don't need to remove the dash or anything (or even need that code in case you shut the power off to your radio).

When the unit arrived, I struggled a bit with the harness that's connected to the XM module by Honda (its got very little slack) as I didn't realize that the black trim is a part of the harness--grabbing on that with pliers made it a breeze. Once that was done, I was able to connect the new harness to the XM and the old to the y connector (again the lack of slack was an issue).

If I were just going to leave my iPod permanently mounted in the car, I may just leave it in the trunk, but that's not the plan. I was able to snake the other part of the cable around in the trunk to near to near the pass-through. I used that to reach through and pass it into the backseat (though not through the pass through, as that seemed a bit too half-assed). From there, I pushed it into the base of the seat (behind some of the springs to keep it there) and down to the floor. I ran out of time, but I'll run it into the console soon enough (you get ample heavy duty cable from the xm unit to the USA spec controller and from there to the iPod).

Performance wise, the setup works very well. XM1 is gone when in use, but XM2 remains. Controls are a bit less than ideal using the cars controls, but they work, and I can skip tracks (all I really need). You can still control the iPod in direct mode (and seemingly use the cars controls from my experience). In short, its just about perfect for an aftermarket solution. I don't use traffic, but supposedly it works with this unit.

FYI, the carpet in back is on clips that detach properly (as oppose to rip off) if you slide the carpet along the body panels. The hook in the back has a center plunger that holds it in (pop it loose and the hook will come out too).
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
2005 RL black on black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to know... i might do this next..... Pics please...
Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Maintiains full nav capabilities, correct?

LL
Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it be possible to post a few pictures of what the car-controll menu/performance looks like?

Are you able to browse the iPod/iPhone by Artist/Album or only managed playlists?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have it installed, and if i'm missing something let me know.. i can only change from track to track via the steering wheels CH Button.
the "tune" button forwards to the next album, if your ipod has album names and the "Seek" buttons goes to the next Playlist.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Using the 1-6 buttons, you can select various modes (and even the aux in if you choose). These modes include playlists, artists, albums, all songs, and genre (if you don't use aux). If you have lots of artists and albums, then playlists is your best bet. You can enable or disable shuffle (by holding down 2). You also can control things via the iPod using direct mode (otherwise the ipod is locked). You can change what displays up top on the little screen by the clock using the display button (same as for XM).
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Instructor

FYI, I got it in the console after finally lifting the cupholders up and out. They do lift straight up, but a flat screwdriver tip can help pry them off. From there, it's an easy route to the inside of the armrest!
The following users liked this post:
Verbals (10-30-2012)
Old 12-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Oh, traffic definitely works with the unit.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Can you view Ipod videos with this setup?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thomalop
Can you view Ipod videos with this setup?
nope...just text using the old XM interface
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Instructor

If you seek video, here's your best bet (no steering wheel controls however):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=video
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

I have an '06 RL with Navi/traffic and the same PA15-AcuXL unit installed. Worked great until I updated my iPhone 3GS to the new 3.1.3 firmware. Now it works for a couple of seconds (after saying no you don't want to go into airplane mode), but then it repeats with the airplane mode message and another message saying this device cannot be charged with this accessory. At that point all audio from my iPhone drops completely and nothing works.

I've sent USA-Spec tech support an e-mail about this so I await their reply.

Has anyone else upgraded their iPhone to 3.1.3 and is experiencing the same issue? Does anyone know if USA-Spec sends out firmware updates for their devices? Their is a mini USB port on the side of the unit for service, so I assume it is possible for the end user to upgrade the firmware on it.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Instructor

I'm guessing USA Spec hasn't paid tribute to Apple
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Cruisin'

Well, it looks like it may not be the unit after all, but it is quite a coincidence. I'll try it again today. Here is the response from USA-Spec:

"I have updated my 3GS phone to 3.1.3 and we have been test it has worked with no issues if yours is not working I would try to resink the phone it should work you have a new interface it has only been out a few month your software should be up to date.Their has only been a few apple updates for the phone"
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Racer

Thats interesting....I'm a little worried about making the 3.1.3 update now...I guess I should do it and report back...
Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 AM
Intermediate

The update to 3.1.3 isn't really worth it. Just about the only thing it fixes is the accuracy of the battery percentage.

For those of you who have updated and want to go back to 3.1.2, you can do the following (on a Mac, not sure how on a PC, but a quick google search should yield the necessary info):

1) Download the software appropriate to the version of you iPhone here: http://www.redmondpie.com/download-t...-3.1.2-aga809/

2) Back up your phone (duh)

3) In iTunes, on the main iPhone page under "Devices," press the option key while clicking on restore, and it will let you choose a restore file. Just choose the one you just downloaded, and that should be it.

Let us know if this works out for you and if it doesn't, we'll see if we can't find another way to fix you up.

Last edited by armashi; 02-07-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
5th Gear

How did you run the cable? I worked it to and ran it behind the back seat around to driver side back door, but not sure where to go from there to get it to the center console. Did anyone take out the back seat? Seems that would be the thing to do, if I only knew how???

I have plugged it in to try it out and its working great!

Thanks for your help
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Cruisin'

Letting the device go into airplane mode when asked resolved the issue for me with 3.1.3. It does behave a little differently now though. I get the message asking if I want to go into airplane mode and that the device isn't authorized blah blah...twice instead of just the one time. I also get a black screen with a yellow caution sign in between the two prompts. After that it works just fine (even with airplane mode turned off).

I really wish USA-Spec could work with the iPhone without giving the warning that it isn't an authorized device. 8-)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Does Pandora for iPhone work with this?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

Well, it has stopped working for me, even after re-syncing with iTunes several times and restarting the phone. USA-Spec claims that it works perfectly for them so I really have no idea. I suppose my next step would be an iPhone restore, but I really don't want for it to come to that.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
2005 RL

fast forward

Is there any way to fast fwrd the ipod w/ the stereo? I just got my usa spec & did a test fit inside the trunk(very easy). I played around w/ it for a bit, but not too long. I pushed all the buttons, but none worked to fast fwrd it. I listen to mostly podcasts & would like to be able to do that.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dep378
Is there any way to fast fwrd the ipod w/ the stereo? I just got my usa spec & did a test fit inside the trunk(very easy). I played around w/ it for a bit, but not too long. I pushed all the buttons, but none worked to fast fwrd it. I listen to mostly podcasts & would like to be able to do that.
Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen, but I think you can do it from the iPhone itself, as you can still access the interface and it doesn't lock you out the way the AcuraLink does. It's not ideal and certainly not as convenient as doing it form the headunit itself, but I'm happy that such a solution even exists as an alternative to the dismal AL.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Instructor

In direct mode (preset 5) you can control things via the iPod/iPhone. Otherwise I'm not sure if you can fast forward (it uses the XM, which doesn't use that feature).
Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Hmm, if only Metra's self programming module was available for the RL..? Or is it?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJ@ECSMotorsports
Hmm, if only Metra's self programming module was available for the RL..? Or is it?
What exactly is that?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
You might try holding down button #4 until it beeps. When doing so, I noticed the track information changed to display "Fast Forward".
Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Instructor

hi, i just bought the pa15-acuxl unit for 131$ in south ca. However, i got trouble at removing the radio. are there anyone that would give me some picture so i can follow? That would be greatly appreciate !!!
By the way i followed this guide here http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-2005-acura-rl
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sherman_nguyen
hi, i just bought the pa15-acuxl unit for 131$ in south ca. However, i got trouble at removing the radio. are there anyone that would give me some picture so i can follow? That would be greatly appreciate !!!
By the way i followed this guide here http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-2005-acura-rl
I don't think you even need to remove the radio to install this. It connects through the XM module in the trunk.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Instructor

i have read about that but are there any pics that show where exactly the xm module located
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sherman_nguyen
i have read about that but are there any pics that show where exactly the xm module located

Its like a 5 min connection. earlier in this thread there are some references too. Pull back a couple of the felt liner pieces on the drivers side trunk (they don't even need to be fully removed. You will find the XM module there; its a fairly easy discovery.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

I am having a problem with the PA15ACUXL. The songs skip in increments of 10 every time I turn the tuner knob. I have no idea why it is doing this. Any insight? I sent USA Spec an email, but I have not heard from them. FYI, shuffle is turned off.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
2005 RL

Where did everybody run your cable on this install? I ran the cable behind the carpet in the trunk, thru the pass thru & under the back seat, but now where? I wanted to run it under the carpet in the center(on the hump) & under & into the console. I can't get it under that. What is the best way to run it into the console?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Racer

Where did everybody run your cable on this install?
I ran it under the seat, dropped it down from there under the floor mat then up to then into the consol. Earlier in the thread there was some description of a few different options.

I didn't tear up the carpet, because I didn't want to damage anything, but it could totally be done without too much effort.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

Hello,
I am new here and have really appreciated the information provided. I bought the PA15ACUxl and it just arrived today. Installation seems very straight forward, from both the instructions and what is posted here. I am trying to remove the 20 pin from the back of the xm unit, however, and am having a devil of a time. What am I doing wrong? I have not done a lot car work before and am afraid to pull too hard on the thing.

HELP!!

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, me again. Thanks to the Rev's discription, I took some pliers and was able to pry the plug out. From there it was super easy. I have now been playing with the device and it is very nice. I am still learning it and the buttons may not be working as desribed, but I have figured it out fine. Does everything.

Another question, I am uncertain if my iPhone (or iPod) is charging when connected. The battery icon gives no indication they are charging (when plugged in separately, of course). Is this normal? Does you iPod device show the battery icon as charging when plugged in?

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Instructor

As long as it's plugged in and power is going to the unit (you should see Honda or something on the screen), it will charge (I don't recall seeing a charge icon either). I know this as my 5 year old iPod loses it's charge on cold nights and it charges it back up again.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

I can't wait to get this!!! The only misgiving I have about it is the lack of surround sound as compared to CDs
Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Alas you will miss out on that (kinda sucks that only CDs are supported by Bose's Centerpoint, their version of ProLogic), but everything sound great (and still comes from all of the speakers). Lossless MP3s sound exactly the same as CDs with Centerpoint off. The setup is loads better than any FM transmitted or using the headphone jack to connect to line in.

Quick Reply: Just installed USA Spec PA15-AcuXL in 05 RL