My Navi Screen blacked out

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My Navi Screen blacked out

My screen went black tonight while driving. The screen has a very dim glow but it really goes "black" when ignition is turned off.

No welcome screen displayed at start up. Display brightness is not functioning as well as all other Navi (and Audio) buttons produce no results. Also, Voice Controls do not work from the steering wheel buttons.

Bluetooth, radio, phone, XM all function normally. Top display also functions so at least I know what XM station I'm on....and what time it is.

Is this a display issue or the DVD unit in the trunk? Why would the Voice Command stop functioning? Car is out of warranty.

Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
A search points to a possible connection issue:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/haywire-navigation-screen-844102/

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-90/05-rl-nav-issues-need-help-asap-774648/
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
It sounds like the DVD is not being read at startup. You may need to send it to Alpine for their $70 tune up.
Use the 3 finger salute to get into diags and you will find a menu to test the screen functionality.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Update:

Last week my battery died after I parked at the airport for 4 days. So I had to have AAA jump me.

Low and behold, as soon as I turned the key my NAVI screen fired up and was asking for codes.....it's worked without issue since then! (no issues with my battery either but I'm going to get it checked.

Not sure if a low battery caused the Navi to go out or if resetting the car did it but in either case I'm good.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Our cars love a nice reset at the battery... but to your point even a "low", not a bad battery per the autozone test, will cause issues.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mayflowerman
My screen went black tonight while driving. The screen has a very dim glow but it really goes "black" when ignition is turned off.

No welcome screen displayed at start up. Display brightness is not functioning as well as all other Navi (and Audio) buttons produce no results. Also, Voice Controls do not work from the steering wheel buttons.

Bluetooth, radio, phone, XM all function normally. Top display also functions so at least I know what XM station I'm on....and what time it is.

Is this a display issue or the DVD unit in the trunk? Why would the Voice Command stop functioning? Car is out of warranty.

Any ideas?
This has happened in my 2005 RL I had to pull the ACC fuse from the driver side fuse box.
You will need your Nav Code to unlock you Nav after you pull the Fuse and make sure your car is outside so the GPS will Calibrate correctly.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norcal78
This has happened in my 2005 RL I had to pull the ACC fuse from the driver side fuse box.
You will need your Nav Code to unlock you Nav after you pull the Fuse and make sure your car is outside so the GPS will Calibrate correctly.
My screen is not blank but it's got the old TV with antennas when the picture goes out it get "snowy". I have that I can still navigate through diff screens with the buttons and dial (sometimes) other times the buttons dont work... I put a new Display screen in and it did the same thing to me. I just pulled the fuse (acc) and replaced it with the lumbar support fuse an the screen worked great till I had to enter the code. Then it went back to the "snowy" picture. Could this be a connection problem or computer... Acura told me it was the display screen I figured out it wasn't by replacing it but I dont know what else it could be!!! I hope someone can answer this question!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were a laptop and I replaced the screen and I still had this issue I would look at the video card next ... but as I am new to RL's I do not know where the equivalent to a "video card" is located ...

Unless it were an "older" laptop - they had video inverters. I would check for something like that before I went graphics card hunting.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Search for the other threads on this issue. Only resolution is to remove the NAV unit from the trunk and send to Alpine for repair. About $400 or something. Without the NAV unit, most interior functions are inoperable.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mayflowerman
Search for the other threads on this issue. Only resolution is to remove the NAV unit from the trunk and send to Alpine for repair. About $400 or something. Without the NAV unit, most interior functions are inoperable.

Did you get your unit fixed? Im having the same issue and any help would be so appreciated.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts
I dont want to start a new thread so I am going to resurrect. The problem I am having is when I turn on my car, the screen is a dimmed out black. I did the NAV to DVD a few years back and have had no problem. I can use the DVD function to go to Video 1 or Video 2 and the screen works. Its just the display for car functions, DVD, Radio or anything else to display on the screen. I will check the connection in the back but it hasnt been touched. Is there anything else I could look at like a fuse?