IPOD 2005 compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006 | 11:27 PM
5th Gear

IPOD 2005 compatibility

Does anyone have an update as to whether or not the 2005 RL is compatible?
Old 03-22-2006 | 12:34 AM
kgd
Instructor

I have not heard any updates. I have been using mine for about 3 months now with no problems and love it. For me this is the best money I have spent on my car. I will not take it out unless I am forced to by the dealer with threats of no warranty coverage.

Kris
Old 03-22-2006 | 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Does the Acura Music Link CD work with Macs? Also, how much did people pay for Acura Music Link?
Old 03-22-2006 | 11:35 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Does the Acura Music Link CD work with Macs? Also, how much did people pay for Acura Music Link?
Yes, it works with a Macintosh.
Old 03-22-2006 | 01:56 PM
Racer

What is the Music Link CD? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I searched for this phrase and could not find it except in this thread.
Old 03-22-2006 | 02:02 PM
'06 RL

The Music Link system works by making playlists on your iPod (and it MUST be a 4th gen "click wheel" iPod or it won't work) that contain the name of the artists and albums on your ipod. Every time you update your ipod it updates the list. This lets you scroll the content on your ipod without being able to see it on the screen -- because you CAN'T see it on the screen, it just says "Extension" and the iPod is locked.

The CD is the software that does this. It integrates itself with iTunes and opens every time your iPod is plugged in.
Old 03-23-2006 | 12:24 AM
kgd
Instructor

The music link software adds voice tags to playlists, artists and albums on your iPod. You can then search for these items by listening for the names of what you are looking for. It works great while you are driving, but it takes some getting used to. It took me a couple weeks and now I use the search function all the time and it is never a distraction. I have an adapter for another car where you have to search and select on the iPod and I find I rarely use it because it is not easy to do while driving. In this car I will generally just listen to what ever is playing when I plug in the iPod.

You can determine the type of search you want to do using the disk number buttons on the radio. You then use the seek + or - buttons to begin your search. This will start with A through Z or Z through A depending on whether you use the + or -. You can then do the same thing after you hear the letter the item you are searching starts with to begin to search within the letter. This will then start playing the voice tags within the letter alphabetically starting from the beginning or end depending on whether you press the + or -. You can also have it play songs at random or albums at random. The iPod will work without the software but you won't be able to search by the voice tags. As with anything I would change a few things if I could, but overall I believe it is a very good system.

Kris
Old 03-23-2006 | 02:52 PM
Racer

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-25-2006 | 04:12 PM
Instructor

I have mine in but have absolutely no cloo how to do the search. I have an iPod Video and have installed the MusicLink s/w etc. Can somebody provide some instructions on how to execute a search? I can scroll through disc 1-6, but nothing happens if I hit + or -. What should I hear, what should be displayed on the display, etc. Any additional instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-N
Old 03-25-2006 | 04:40 PM
kgd
Instructor

Use the disk 5 and 6 buttons to go through the disk numbers on the display above the NAV unit. The 5 button will move the disc number down and the 6 number will move the disc number up in the display. The buttons (1-6) do not provide direct access to a particular disc number on the display. Once the disk number for the type of search you want to perform (ie. "2" for an artist search) shows up on the display then press the tune button to begin the alpha search. Tune + will start with A and go to Z, Tune - will start with Z and go to A. You can also hold down the Seek button for about a second and it will also start the search. (The CH + button on the steering wheel will not start a search, but will change tracks once your selection is done.) Once you have started the search you should hear A, B, C, D, etc. through the speakers. When you hear the letter you are looking for press the Seek + button (but don't hold it down, just press it once). After you press the Seek + button the original search will stop. Then immediately press the Seek + or Seek - button again for about a second and it will initiate a search within the letter you selected. You should then hear the actual name of the artist or play list through the speakers. When you hear the name of what you are looking for press the Seek + button again and the music will start. I originally was not pushing the Seek button the second time after the initial alpha search and could never get to the point of hearing the names. Once I figured out that you have to press and hold the seek button a second time (and right away after initial selecting the letter) I have not had any problems.

If you do not hear the letters A, B, C etc through the speakers after pushing the tune + or - button then the voice tags have not properly been transferred to your iPod through the music link software. I usually will open iTunes, make sure my iPod has sync'd and then run the music link software (make sure you keep iTunes running). The initial time you do this it will take a long time. But once all of the voice tags are on the iPod it doesn't take that long.

Kris