Homelink for garage opener

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Homelink for garage opener

I am having a difficult time programming my homelink to my Genie Intellicode garage door opener. I have followed the instructions for the random code sequence but am not able to get the homelink to work properly. So far when I hold the button programmed for the opener it flashes quickly for 2-3 seconds then stays lit. Apparently it has learned the remote. I just can't get it to 'learn' the code sequence after I engage the learn button on the opener. I had no problem getting my gate remote to program in the homelink. Any tips or suggestions from users? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
I am having a difficult time programming my homelink to my Genie Intellicode garage door opener. I have followed the instructions for the random code sequence but am not able to get the homelink to work properly. So far when I hold the button programmed for the opener it flashes quickly for 2-3 seconds then stays lit. Apparently it has learned the remote. I just can't get it to 'learn' the code sequence after I engage the learn button on the opener. I had no problem getting my gate remote to program in the homelink. Any tips or suggestions from users? Thanks.
Miner, don't be offended, but did you do the first step completely - that is, hold the remote up to the homelink button and press both buttons (remote and homelink) until the homelink button stopped flashing? (It can take awhile.) It will first flash slowly, then more rapidly, then eventually stop flashing. Some folks stop when it flashes rapidly and it hasn't quite "taken".

Also, keep in mind you have to train each button with the remote separately.

Last, I assume you know that you have only like 30 seconds to press the homelink button after you press the learn button on the opener. On most units, the light on the opener unit flashes to confirm it has linked with homelink ... did you get the confirmation flash?

If all else fails, the only solution is to erase all codes in homelink by pressing and holding the outside 2 buttons until they stop flashing, then start all over again.

Stick with it - it can be frustrating sometimes.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:28 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The directions in the manual kind of suck. The directions on the homelink site are better.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
On mine, after everything had been "learned" I have to hold down the Homelink button for one FULL second before the door goes up/down.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitive Guide For Homelink Set-Up

I posted this a while back over in the TL forum:

Definitive Guide For Homelink Set-up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People:

The manual for our TL leaves out important steps for programming the car's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage goor opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles.

1-800-355-3515
www.homelink.com

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previuosly learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control button and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Wthin 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing programmed button on Homelink transceiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units.

Problems:

Battery in garage door remote control may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

Antenna on garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this is helpful for some people.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Yep, battery was too weak as suggested by acuralvr1. replaced with fresh battery - all is well.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acuralvr1
I posted this a while back over in the TL forum:

Definitive Guide For Homelink Set-up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People:

The manual for our TL leaves out important steps for programming the car's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage goor opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles.

1-800-355-3515
www.homelink.com

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previuosly learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control button and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Wthin 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing programmed button on Homelink transceiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units.

Problems:

Battery in garage door remote control may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

Antenna on garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this is helpful for some people.

acuralvr1 I have tried this many times and I haven't been able to successfully setup my homelink button on my 05 Acura RL. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
One of the things I see missing in these posts is to reset the rolling code in the garage door opener control receiver unit. Typical of Genie's and most newer door openers.

Usually inside the door opener motor housing is a rolling code reset button. On my Genie, I pop off the light cover and there is a button inside next to the lightbulb socket. Press the button and the reset light flashes... THEN go train your Homelink transmitter as per instructions. The reset light flashes for about 90 seconds while you train your Homelink.

That is how I had to train both my TL and my RL. Likley you have trained your Homelink transmitter in the car, but the receiver in the door opener will not accept it. Hence the rolling code reset is needed.

This is how the rolling code protects your from someone 'copying' your transmitter's signal onto a new device and then can operate your door. By reseting the rolling code, you tell the door opener 'I am linking a new transmitter, please accept this new transmitter'.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by superfly1234
acuralvr1 I have tried this many times and I haven't been able to successfully setup my homelink button on my 05 Acura RL. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
It took me many times to get the Homelink programmed when my parents moved into their new house; be persistent and follow the procedure to-the-tee. After many, many times, it finally took.

After that, I'd say ask your neighbor if you can try it on their garage door.

Best of luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by superfly1234

Thanks!
When I set mine up, I tried the instructions from the manual. They sucked. The instructions from the Homelink website worked perfectly the first time around. You must follow EVERY step to the period, otherwise it won't work.

If you try the website instructions several times and it still doesn't work, you may have a bum unit and you'll need your dealer to check it out.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by miner
I see that you have replaced a battery. and also had advice that programming is a two step affair.

I found that I had to hold the remote a lot closer than what is recommended in the RL's owner's manual. I got one door to work, but couldn't get the other one to work until I held the garage door's remote immediately next to the roof console. Likely, even with new remotes and doors, I had a remote with a weak battery.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TampaRL is right on the point. I had to program mine exactly as TampaRL mentioned. Take off the light/bult cover and press the reset botton. You will see the red indicator start flashing. Within 90 seconds you have to come down and hold the home link button to be programmed.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:54 AM
10th Gear

YES!!! Finally got it!!! WoW that took forever. Thanks everyone for your tips!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Racer

fyi.. for anyone else having trouble, if you call homelink they will go through the steps with you, on the phone, until you get it working..
Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Glad i came across this forum. The weak battery was the problem for me along with following the weak directions in the manual. Finally got it working on my mom's new RL on the first try after printing the info in this thread .. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Cruisin'

It took me about 10 minutes but I finally did it. Works cool I like it. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Racer

Homelink support is pretty cool. If you call them they will walk you through as you do it. I tried to follow the dyi in my garage door opener and car's user manual, but it wasn't taking, so I called technical support and they were cool. They helped me step by step and I highly recommend them. I see you got yours fixed, but if anyone else has issues, support is useful.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

The Homelink on my 1999 Acura TL 3.2 doesn't blink / work at all. How can I fix it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Check the fuse. Also, you posted this in the 2 Gen RL forum. Try the 2nd Gen TL forum
for more familiar user feedback.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Here is the path home: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/

And check the fuse.