Clean & Simple system design and install

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Clean & Simple system design and install

I purchased this car with practicality being a very big point for myself, as i live in Vegas and i drive to and from the airport at least once a month picking up friends and family and shuttling them as well as their luggage around constantly so taking up huge amounts of trunk space was a big no for me. Not to mention you never know when you have to transport the next dead body or two into the desert. Clean responsive low end was clearly lacking from the car, as well as any kind of real clarity needed to bring out the extra music tones in some of the live performance cd's i play in the car. I forced myself to use the factory locations for everything as this car is not a fiberglass enclosure, door panel fabricating, neon light show car type situation... its a entry level luxury sedan so that fabrication did not fit the bill. Components used are

3 Eclipse SE8235 -3.5" coaxials to replace the rear deck and center channel
Set MB Quart RSI-216 6.5" components replace the front
Set MB Quart FKS-116 6.5" coaxials reaplace the rear
3 Resonant Engineering RE8 - 8" Dual 4ohm subs

MTX TA4501 - Sub Amp
MTX TA3404 - Mid Amp
MTX RE-Q5 - Integration & signal processor

USASPEC PA11-HON2 - DVD audio signal
NAVTOOL - DVD interface (hard wired, no harness)
Farenheit DVD36 - DVD multi media player

Im not real good with the in between pictures as when i start installing i just go for it and dont really take time for pics, sorry. But here is a few pics of the behind the beauty board pics of the wiring as well as the completed pics. I will say that the part where people mention to disconnect your rear mic for the ANC to be defeated is not true as i fought that the whole way through the install. The noise tones not only came through my subs but also from my front speakers as well, others might not have heard this because your not amplifying your fronts like i am and only through their subs. To defeat it i just disconnected the harness for the ANC at the amplifier, so far this has proven effective. On to a few pics

Getting wired up

Wired and making adjustments

Beauty boards in place

Amp plexi exposed

Lights on

Dvd mounted

Dsport Dvd from Sema

Like i mentioned this install was to take away as little trunk space as possible and still produce the sound i wanted inside the vehicle. The sub enclosure is individual sealed .35 cu.ft per sub and fires directly into the 8" hole in the deck where the OEM subwoofer used to be mounted. I noticed alot of people mounting DVD players in some odds spots in this car, i found to make it accessible i removed the upper tray in the glove box and fabricated the factory brackets to get a level mount and high enough to easily clear the glove box when closed. And all doors, trunk, deck lid, and roof are laid with Edead sound pad to keep the rattles out. The sound is night and day to the OEM for obvious reasons but i feel like im lacking in processing and are in need of an EQ of some sort, actually wish the Alpine imprint would go down in a price a bit. All in all system sounds decent (need EQ, but im picky) and im happy with about 80% of my trunk space retained as well as the color change of the trunk to black from the OEM gray to hide all the dirty marks.

Last edited by DXplicitOne; 11-23-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:09 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice set up. Must be an ordeal to get the spare.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Or the cabin air filter, but very nice installation nonetheless!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Practicality, so access to the spare was a must have. Its only 1 additional step from OEM access. In the pre beauty board pics, the amp board (wrapped in gray) fits perfectly in the groove where your OEM spare cover was and it screwed down with 2 phillips screws. Remove those screws and the board hinges up to allow access to the spare.
As for the cabin filter thats not as easy but not that bad either, as its 4 screws on the unit itself and it drops out the way. I changed it during the install so i dont have to do it again too soon, and id rather do this every once in a blue moon than go to my trunk or rear armrest fold down like others who have dvd players to change movies as thats more common than the cabin filter.

Thanks for the feedback though its always appreciated.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks good.

How do you like the re-q5?

I went with the JL cleansweep but always wanted to know how the MTX version worked out.