Bluetooth answer delay

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:36 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Question Bluetooth answer delay

First let me say: I LOVE my BT!

But I'm wondering about one thing ... when I get an incoming call in the car and press the "answer" button, there is a longish delay before the caller hears me. In fact, I usually say "Hello" 3 or 4 times before the caller responds.

Invariably, when I ask, they say they heard only one "Hello". I've even gotten to where I push the answer button and then wait for a second or two before saying anything, but it still takes 3 "Hellos" before the caller hears me.

I have a Cingular RAZR phone, and when the call is connected, it is absolutely golden. Outgoing calls that I make don't have any connection delay ... it's only the incoming ones.

So, is this what everyone else experiences? (BTW, It happens the same in both my RL and my TL.)
Old 11-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
First let me say: I LOVE my BT!

But I'm wondering about one thing ... when I get an incoming call in the car and press the "answer" button, there is a longish delay before the caller hears me. In fact, I usually say "Hello" 3 or 4 times before the caller responds.

Invariably, when I ask, they say they heard only one "Hello". I've even gotten to where I push the answer button and then wait for a second or two before saying anything, but it still takes 3 "Hellos" before the caller hears me.

I have a Cingular RAZR phone, and when the call is connected, it is absolutely golden. Outgoing calls that I make don't have any connection delay ... it's only the incoming ones.

So, is this what everyone else experiences? (BTW, It happens the same in both my RL and my TL.)

I seem to have a second or so delay after hitting the answer button, which I've gotten used to. I just wait a beat after hitting the button to say hello. I also have a RAZR (unlocked with AT&T Wireless/Cingular). What are your settings for Headset and Car Settings in the setup menu on the phone? I have Auto Answer set to off - when I had it on the car would pick up automatically but then disconnect.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by dwboston
I seem to have a second or so delay after hitting the answer button, which I've gotten used to. I just wait a beat after hitting the button to say hello. I also have a RAZR (unlocked with AT&T Wireless/Cingular). What are your settings for Headset and Car Settings in the setup menu on the phone? I have Auto Answer set to off - when I had it on the car would pick up automatically but then disconnect.
Phone is set to:

Car Settings:

Auto Answer - Off
Auto Handsfree - On

Headset:

Auto Answer - Off
Voice Dial - Off

Are those settings right?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

I just notived in my BT setup that I have "Handsfree Link" listed 3 times (!) Two of them are for the RL and the TL, but I don't know what the 3rd one is.

Wonder if that's what's happening ... it's having to decide between 3 connections (?)
Old 11-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

I just notived in my BT setup that I have "Handsfree Link" listed 3 times (!) Two of them are for the RL and the TL, but I don't know what the 3rd one is.

Wonder if that's what's happening ... it's having to decide between 3 connections (?)
I think your BT phone settings are OK. I have voice dial on in the headset profile.

I would delete one of the 3 HF Link listings in the BT setup. Do you have different PIN codes for the TL and the RL? My wife has an MDX and I have the phone paired to both cars, each with a different PIN code.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:16 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by dwboston
I think your BT phone settings are OK. I have voice dial on in the headset profile.

I would delete one of the 3 HF Link listings in the BT setup. Do you have different PIN codes for the TL and the RL? My wife has an MDX and I have the phone paired to both cars, each with a different PIN code.
Yeah, I can't believe the headset voice dial setting would have anything to do with the incoming calls ... and I do use voice dial with the RL's BT all the time, so it doesn't affect that.

To be honest, I don't recall whether the PIN's for the RL and TL are the same or not, but I think they are. I may delete all the HF Links and re-pair the two cars to see if that helps.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:36 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Yeah, I can't believe the headset voice dial setting would have anything to do with the incoming calls ... and I do use voice dial with the RL's BT all the time, so it doesn't affect that.

To be honest, I don't recall whether the PIN's for the RL and TL are the same or not, but I think they are. I may delete all the HF Links and re-pair the two cars to see if that helps.

Thanks for the ideas.

It won't help. I too have a RAZR w/Cingular and experience the same. My phone has three profiles.

Handfreelink = RL
Handsfree = My Landcruiser
HS8500 = Headset

I usually wait until the signal strength bars appear on the MID before I say "hello" and that usually works.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same problem since I first paired my MotorolA V551 (Cingular) with the RL. Once you are able to hear each other, the calls are usually quite clear. I haven't found a solution to the issue yet.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a razr on cingular and have this issue too, I guess it's the network.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:10 PM
AcurAdmirer

Thanks, guys. I've started watching for the signal strength indicator before answering and that seems to work.

This is still an OUTSTANDING BT system!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:50 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry this might be off from the original question, but do you guys who have the RAZR always get caller ID on the MID screen when someone calls? I am talking about the numbers only, not names. I know there is no way for the MID to display the actual caller ID names but I sometimes would receive a blank screen when the system says "you have an incoming call." And sometimes the screen would display the caller's number.

What's up with that?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I have a RAZR and I always get the number appear on the MID.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Same here.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:58 PM
kgd
Instructor

I have noticed that my phone does not connect until the phone number in the caller ID goes away. It just takes a second to connect. I just wait until the number goes away and then start talking.

Kris
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
The Doctor

hm.. that's interesting... I am not sure what's going on with my RAZR, what's your firmware?

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Old 11-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UW RL
sorry this might be off from the original question, but do you guys who have the RAZR always get caller ID on the MID screen when someone calls? I am talking about the numbers only, not names. I know there is no way for the MID to display the actual caller ID names but I sometimes would receive a blank screen when the system says "you have an incoming call." And sometimes the screen would display the caller's number.

What's up with that?
My Razr does that also. In my case, I believe it's due to my being on the road across several states (TX, MS, LA, AL), Cingular's network and the everyday glitches normal in cellular communications.

'05RL with 50,000 miles.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Racer

I just wish the CD paused when it rings in and I'm talking.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 AM
3rd Gear

Had same problem w/ my T-Mobile RAZR. Seems to be either a RAZR or Motorola Issue. Have Nokia E61 now, connects instantaneously.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:14 PM
The Doctor

I know.. same here..

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
I just wish the CD paused when it rings in and I'm talking.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Cruisin'

Is your software up to date?

I had the exact same issue but aster updating the software on my phone (Motorola Q), it responds immediately.

I would check on the phone's software version.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
My Razr does that also. In my case, I believe it's due to my being on the road across several states (TX, MS, LA, AL), Cingular's network and the everyday glitches normal in cellular communications.

'05RL with 50,000 miles.

Further regarding the delay...I wait for the "in use" message to pop up in the MID. Any delay issue doesn't particularly annoy me since I started watching for the "in use" message to appear...gives me a moment to concentrate on the call before speaking.

The other day hightailing through Texas, the system successfully answered an incoming call without the incoming call ringing...go figure.

'05RL with 51,000 miles.

Fred
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Instructor

LG 325....same minor delay. I don't recall this happening in my TL, however people no longer complain about poor sound quality from the RLs BT system.

Bob