2G RL Bluetooth Phone Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All -

I have a 2006 RL and I finally have to get a new phone after almost three years with my Motorola v710 (which works fine, but no battery or signal). My question is - is there any phone that allows "Phonebook Import" as Acura terms it? This a great feature that I have seen on my friend's BMW. btw, I am really only interested in Verizon or Sprint, but are there any phones from any provider that allow this?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Take a look on the Owner Link Site and investigate the approved phones. There is a table associated with each approved phone that lists the characteristics that work and do not work.

You can search by wirelss provider if you are interested in phones from a particular provider. The list updates fairly regularly, like once a month, but seems like phones are in test forever.

http://www.acura.com/models/handsfre...rrer=ownerlink
Old 03-09-2007, 08:44 AM
8th Gear

I just paired up my LG VX8600 with my 2006 RL. A test phone call worked fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Many of the Bluetooth capable phones that have come out in the past 6 months or so will work just fine. Some of the earlier ones had software issues that wouldn't allow you to hang up a phone call.

This technology is still relatively new, so there are bound to be many bumps in the road. According to Handsfreelink there are only three phones that have "Passed Testing". The phones are all Sony Ericsson and the model numbers are as follows: W600i, z520A and z525a.

As far as the "Phonebook Import" is concerned, I don't believe the '06 RL had this feature. The RDX was the first to have it, I thought. But, I may be wrong. Good luck with the phone search!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 PM
My name is RL.

Blackberry 8800 works great; signal, battery both work well. It is comparable to the 8700(c)(g) but with a noticeable difference in the call quality. I previously used the 8700 in my RL pretty much every day. The 8800 is much better when using bluetooth handsfree because of the echo and noise cancelling features that did NOT exist on the 8700's bluetooth stack. No more complaints from the other side of the call that they can hear background noise better than me. In general the 8800 has better call quality all the way around (clearer, louder, stronger) than the 8700, IMHO and not just over the bluetooth connection.

***Only one problem to report. The phone will not make a data connection to the AcuraLink servers. The Dial Up Networking profile is part of the 8800's bluetooth stack but no matter what I did it would not connect with the servers. I borrowed a Motorola V3c and it worked fine but the 8800 would not connect to AcuraLink. I can pair the 8800 with my laptop's bluetooth radio, create a connection over the 8800 bluetooth modem and surf the web (albeit at painfully slow speeds) but no dice making a dial up connection with the with the RL. I even entered a seperate dial up connection to NOCHARGE dot COM (a free ISP); entered the access number, username and password and it threw the same error. It disconnected the HFL, connected for like 3 seconds and then disconnected with the no confirmation message on the navigation display. I believe this is something that can be fixed in the phone's software. I'm still hopeful this is a bug that RIM can fix.***
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by award123
Not really....here is the scenarios and how they work:

Incoming Call - Displays a new call on the screen and you can accept it accordingly with out messing with the phone itself.

Outgoing Call - Can use the HFL to place the call. Immediately the Handsfree Pairing on the phone stops. On the phone click Menu -> Handsfree Set ON and then it works through the HFL.

Call Waiting - Does not come through and you are not notified someone is calling in.

So...yes and no...I spent 1.5 hours on a conference call I dialed into through HFL. For me to press Menu -> Handsfree Set On from the phone is worth it than not working at all as you see with some of the other units.

Chao,
aaron
Now that the MOL3 update is out for the Q has anyone tried it to see if it fixes the bluetooth issues? I have a Q running MOL2 and experience the same HFL problem in my 2007 MDX. When initiating a call with HFL it immediately transfers to the phone and I have to manually transfer it back to HFL.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by emoney1
Now that the MOL3 update is out for the Q has anyone tried it to see if it fixes the bluetooth issues? I have a Q running MOL2 and experience the same HFL problem in my 2007 MDX. When initiating a call with HFL it immediately transfers to the phone and I have to manually transfer it back to HFL.
I have not upgraded my phone. Can you upgrade and give us feedback? I can't as I a away from my MDX for the next two weeks due to business travel.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

oh sure...I'll be the guinea pig here...I'll try to update today and get back to you with the results.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
3rd Gear

Same symptoms with the MOL 3 update for the Motorola Q
Old 04-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
Noticed something funny about the battery strength indicator. The indicator on the phone display only goes up to 3 bars. The one in the mid has 4 or 5 bars, but only 3 are lit up when the phone is fully charged. Obviously the phone is passing the number of bars to the car and not the % charged condition of the battery (even though the battery meter in the phone menu goes from 1-6) and the car is displaying exactly what it receives.
I noticed something else about the MID HFL display. When the KRZR is plugged into the car charger and fully charged, the battery strength indicator in the MID shows the battery fully charged (the full 4 or 5 bars). If you unplug the phone from the car charger it will show 3 bars of battery strength even though the battery is fully charged.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Instructor

verizon motorola v325i

I'm thinking of buying this phone. handsfreelink lists it as being tested. Does anyone have any experience with this phone working with the RL and as a phone in general? thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
New Moto RAZR MAXX ve (Verizon) works great. Battery status, signal strength, and auto connection all work flawlessly.

Now only if Acuras could "read" or "transfer" the phonebook like other cars in this price class...
Old 05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Lg Vx8600

I have the LG VX8600. I has worked without any problems in the car. My only caveat is that the battery strength and signal are not always in synch with the phone.

I had the Moto e815 (better reception than the LG - but not a car issue) before and it worked fine too. My blackberry 8800 (T-mobile) also works fine.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by russ8128
I have the LG VX8600. I has worked without any problems in the car. My only caveat is that the battery strength and signal are not always in synch with the phone.

I had the Moto e815 (better reception than the LG - but not a car issue) before and it worked fine too. My blackberry 8800 (T-mobile) also works fine.
Does your Blackberry work with Acura Datalink? I have been wanting a smartphone / PDA but I do not see any verified working with datalink on the Acura HFL mini site. For that reason I have been sticking with my Moto RAZR, it does all but battery meter.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Cruisin'

I haven't tried the BB yet....will try it and see if it works...
Old 06-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Racer

Observation and question about connecting to Acuralink

Originally Posted by dwboston
I noticed something else about the MID HFL display. When the KRZR is plugged into the car charger and fully charged, the battery strength indicator in the MID shows the battery fully charged (the full 4 or 5 bars). If you unplug the phone from the car charger it will show 3 bars of battery strength even though the battery is fully charged.
The keyboard quit on my original 2 year old Razr, so yesterday, I acquired a MotorazrV3XX with my provider, which is AT&T (Cingular). I noticed on my first outing (350 miles) with the new phone in my '05RL, that the MID will show full battery with the charger connected and the battery fully charged, and then without the charger connected, the MID drops down and displays the phone battery at about 1/2.

Until I saw your post, I thought the anomaly was due to the newness of the battery and it not being fully cycled.

Questions: How did you connect your acuralink with your new phone...so far, I've not been able to locate my datastring, username, password info in my new phone. I have the Cingular info from a couple of years ago, but wasn't able to connect to the acuraserver with that information. Has your 2005 been updated by a dealer for the new services?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
Has your 2005 been updated by a dealer for the new services?
Well, I'm not as tired this morning...clarifying my query of last night...

When the RL recognized your new KAZR phone after pairing and popped up the screen for setting up the server connection, did you use the easy set up or the custom set up? My easy set up screen only contains carrier information that was available when I purchased the car in 2005...that screen has never contained current information for my Razr, which has been with AT&T, then Cingular, and now AT&T again. With my original Razr, now defunct, I've had to use a custom setup with information posted here for connecting to the server. My current custom set up screen for the new Motorazr V3xx contains no information. My first attempt at using the old Cingular info for the new phone didn't work, but I'm going to try that again, next time with a better view of the sky. The AT&T/Cingular dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about datastring, username and password...they told me to contact an Acura dealer.

TIA.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Lightbulb

Well, I'm not as tired this morning...clarifying my query of last night...

When the RL recognized your new KAZR phone after pairing and popped up the screen for setting up the server connection, did you use the easy set up or the custom set up? My easy set up screen only contains carrier information that was available when I purchased the car in 2005...that screen has never contained current information for my Razr, which has been with AT&T, then Cingular, and now AT&T again. With my original Razr, now defunct, I've had to use a custom setup with information posted here for connecting to the server. My current custom set up screen for the new Motorazr V3xx contains no information. My first attempt at using the old Cingular info for the new phone didn't work, but I'm going to try that again, next time with a better view of the sky. The AT&T/Cingular dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about datastring, username and password...they told me to contact an Acura dealer.

TIA.
Bluemule. Likely you are on Cingular MEdiaNet for data. It is bascially the WEB ACCESS setting of your phone.

Look in your phone under SETTINGS > WEB ACCESS. The WEB ACCESS will display on the next menu. I would doubt it was mMode which is old ATT Wireless operating on Cingular's network.

If it is Cingular MEdiaNet you can use the selection in the RLs Menu to set up. And yes, you do need a clear satellite sightline for the uplink to AcuraLink. I could not do it in my garage.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Bluemule. Likely you are on Cingular MEdiaNet for data. It is bascially the WEB ACCESS setting of your phone.

Look in your phone under SETTINGS > WEB ACCESS. The WEB ACCESS will display on the next menu. I would doubt it was mMode which is old ATT Wireless operating on Cingular's network.

If it is Cingular MEdiaNet you can use the selection in the RLs Menu to set up. And yes, you do need a clear satellite sightline for the uplink to AcuraLink. I could not do it in my garage.
Thanks for the reply! Under my new Razr's settings/web access, I've got Media Net, among some other items. However, I'm not sure that item is in my RL's menu selections, but I'll check again later. If it's there, the next hurdle will be to get my balky computer to accept the settings. I was under a bunch of trees in a friends driveway out of state when I tried to get something to connect to the server the other day. I'd successfully paired the new phone for my return trip home but couldn't hook up with the server.

I've had quite a bit of difficulty getting the server connection on my '05RL from the gitgo.

With my old phone, I was able to find my connection data...but with the keyboard on the old phone not working, I can't access (or remember) where that data was located in order to track it down on the new phone, assuming it is needed!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply! Under my new Razr's settings/web access, I've got Media Net, among some other items. However, I'm not sure that item is in my RL's menu selections, but I'll check again later. If it's there, the next hurdle will be to get my balky computer to accept the settings. I was under a bunch of trees in a friends driveway out of state when I tried to get something to connect to the server the other day. I'd successfully paired the new phone for my return trip home but couldn't hook up with the server.

I've had quite a bit of difficulty getting the server connection on my '05RL from the gitgo.

With my old phone, I was able to find my connection data...but with the keyboard on the old phone not working, I can't access (or remember) where that data was located in order to track it down on the new phone, assuming it is needed!
Bluemule. Cingular Media Net is option 3 of the Easy Set Up Menu on Datalink feature. I do have a 2006 RL.

Be sure your RL has a clear sightline sou for the satellite when making the set up. If it works, you will see a pop up window, scroll bar as it connect. then a verification notice will appear. Afterwards, you can call Acura CS and ask for the 30 days of info messages & tips as a test. Each day you will get a message icon on your navi screen with a feature tip / info. That is AcuraLink in action.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Exclamation

Forgive my usual, horrible typos. Nuerosurgery on my arm is under way!

Anyway, my comment was to be sure the RL has a clear sightline SOUTH. That is the satellite path.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Bluemule. Cingular Media Net is option 3 of the Easy Set Up Menu on Datalink feature. I do have a 2006 RL.

Be sure your RL has a clear sightline sou for the satellite when making the set up. If it works, you will see a pop up window, scroll bar as it connect. then a verification notice will appear. Afterwards, you can call Acura CS and ask for the 30 days of info messages & tips as a test. Each day you will get a message icon on your navi screen with a feature tip / info. That is AcuraLink in action.
Worked like a charm, and the first time! I simply didn't know which media service to look for with the new phone. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be sure and give ACS a call also. This phone certainly was easier to set up than my original Razr. It feels a bit clunky because it's bigger, but seems more competent than the original.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Verizon Chocolate works perfectly.
Nifty little phone as well.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
4th Gear

HTC Mogul / 6800 is fully functional
Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Nokia 5300 works well. Signal strength and battery. Pairing worked after I set the car in pairing mode and then clicked on "search for audio enhancements" on the bluetooth menu.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Motorola Q Global (Q9h) for AT&T works perfectly. Signal strength and battery meter display on the MID. The data connection to the AcuraLink server worked as well. Great phone, especially if you live in an area with 3G.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear

Palm 750

I have used a 750 for about three months. Signal Strength and Battery did not show, and there were some other intermittent isues
HOWEVER, I have since upgraded to the new version of windows mobile that just came out a few weeks ago and everthing works perfect! Signal strength, battery, and all features. Windows upgrade is free and available via internet
Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Lg Vx5400

LG VX5400 is paired with 2006 RL.

Battery strength and signal strength meters are displayed on MID, but don't match precisely with meters on the phone. I don't have data service, so AcuraLink can't be verified. Service provider is Verizon.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gator5000e
I just got an 8525 on Cingular (or is it at&t again? - meh!!) and it works great. As with other windows Mobile phones, no singal strength or battery level. And I have never been able to connect to the AcuraLink server with any WinMo phone, including this one.
AT&T 8525 with firmware upgraded to Windows Mobile 6 works great with battery and signal strength indicators working too.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 AM
kgd
Instructor

AT&T Tilt works fine for me (no data connection). Battery & signal strength show up as well as caller ID. Been using it for about a month now. Have left a number of messages on my voicemail as a test and the audio seems to be very good. The volume of the system commands is higher than that of the caller, which is a bit annoying sometimes.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
kgd
Instructor

With respect to the 8525 you might want to try the Jetware mobile software. I used it on my 8125 and it allowed the battery and signal strength to show up on the display.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Sanyo Katana II works fine. No data
Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
10th Gear

Does anyone know if it is possible to setup the iPhone with the Bluetooth in the 05 RL?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM
10th Gear

Nevermind it works just fine!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
7th Gear

Apple Iphone

I was extremely pleased that my Apple iphone works beautifully with our 06 RL. All the features except Acuralink are there (and I don't care very much about that.)

Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM
4th Gear

Palm Treo 755p works in the 06 RL. Shows battery display, signal strength, and incoming call #.

Does anyone know if the Blackberry Pearl or the Blackberry 8830 (World Edition) works in the 06 RL?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
Blackberry 8830 world phone

This phone does work well in my 2006 RL.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Samsung T629

I can pair my T629 OK and make outgoing calls OK, But I cannot hear the caller's voice on incoming calls. The caller can hear me OK. If I give the command "transfer" and again "transfer" I can hear or if I give the command "mute" and again "mute" I can hear OK. But if I answer normally, or give only one of those voice commands, I can"t hear.
Thanks..
Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Sony Ericsson W800i

This is an AT&T phone. Paired it yesterday, works fine for calling/conversing although I don't see an display info about phone status.
Haven't investigated any other features yet.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Sony Ericsson Z750a

Just upgraded to the Sony Ericsson 750a on AT&T (Cingular) and all works fine. Able to send/receive calls, battery, signal, etc. show up in MID. I've never bothered with Acuralink so don't know status on that.

Quick Reply: 2G RL Bluetooth Phone Compatibility