2005 RL Nav system out of range, unable to set clock time

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RL Nav system out of range, unable to set clock time

Just purchased an '05 RL w/ nav last week and am not able to get to the nav set up menus to adjust the clock settings. I live in Anchorage and the nav system will not work north of the Canadian territories : (

When ever I select any of the Nav options, either through the buttons/joy stick, LCD or through voice commands, I get a screen message that says "system out of range unable to connect". I can't get past this screen and into any of the setup options. The Nav manual says I should be able to adjust prefs for DST, set time, etc. The clock is somehow syncing up with Pacific standard time and I would love to be able to set it back one hour to AST.

There are very few RLs in AK so this might be a difficult forum question... Unclear if there is a problem with the system or a user error issue. Any ideas?

btw, the sh awd is AWESOME on snow and ice with studded snow tires!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
There was a special model for AK & HI, and my guess is that this is probably why There is a special setup for AK & HI cars in regards to the DVD drive which contains the Navigation computer. I believe AK & HI cars get a compass instead of the navigation. I know XM radio is also excluded. That's too bad. I am wondering if Acura might be able to reprogram the car and disable the NAV? It seems like it might be a software thing.

I know Acura customer service would be useless. Is there *any* Acura dealer in AK at all?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks CFoote. You're right, no xm or nav signal up here for the system... Disappointing because my cheap garmin nuvi system works great. The car was originally purchased and driven in Utah before sold at auction & shipped to AK. It is probably all set up for nav in Utah.

hmmm so the nav computer is in the dvd drive in the trunk? ...might need a special set up for AK? Anyone out there have a clue to change set up? A special dvd?

There is a dealer in AK and I have to go there in the near future to get a 2nd fob key programmed, could try to have them "re-set" the nav then. Interesting idea to disable the nav, might just be the ticket. It's annoying to look at the clock and think I'm an hour late.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Call Alpine and find out. Go to http://www.acuranavi.com/ and get the 800 number off there and call them. They MIGHT be able to help you.

Although the FAQ indicates you are SOL in HI unless you have a 2007 Acura, if I look at my 2006 with the 2008 update DVD, it does appear as if I am able to switch to HI coverage. I have not tried it, however, because doing so will wipe out all my current cookies and previous destinations.

Currently the FAQ says:

Can my navigation system provide coverage for Alaska or Hawaii?

Coverage for Hawaii is available for all 07, and later Acura models only. There is no coverage for Alaska at this time

Who knows, they may be able to supply you with at least the compass CD (at a price of course) that will allow some usage.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

I left a message with the Alpine Electronics nav fullfillment center, (888) 549-3798, we'll see what they can do for me on Monday. I realize I will not be able to get nav map coverage with their system, but hopefully they can come up with a way for me to set the clock! Thanks for the info and I'll report back to the forum what happens.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:52 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you need a GPS compass DVD unit I have one that I would trade you for your nav unit.

It is out of an 07 RL. It was only used for 2 months when I replaced it with a DVD Nav unit. These units are very easily changed.20 min or so.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Larry,
I may want to swap with you if the nav system is totally useless up here and prevents me from accessing clock adjustment, etc. If we move down to L48 and still have vehicle, probably want the Nav back, so I might want to purchase the compass unit from you? This will take some thought.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

you may want to ask Alpine (the maker of the units) if the Compass system will work in Alaska...I think it would. I would sell it for 200 including shipping, and if it doesn't work for you, I will take it back and refund the money (less shipping)
Old 01-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

Larry, thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Racer

You know, I do recall seeing a Hawaii mode in the diagnostic screen, but not a Alaska mode. When you go to the AK dealer, see how the RL's are setup, I bet they have a "COMPASS" button instead of the "Map/Guide button" on the radio. If you buy larry's Compass unit, I don't believe you will have to change out the radio, which is great, as it is VERY expensive...

Keep us posted on your progress.

Chris
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

I have spoken to Alpine Electronics, Acura Customer Care and the dealer up here in Anchorage. There is only a 2007 RL compass dvd available from Alpine, Acura customer care thinks it should work with the existing system, but they can't gurantee it. The cost of the dvd from Alpine is only $20.00, so I might just give it a try. The manual says " An Alaska-only DVD is available that only displays the compass screen" for vehicles purchased in the lower 48 states.

Meanwhile, I have gotten a sporadic gps signal when starting the car that lasted for about two minutes before dropping out and the screen saying "vehicle out of servics area". Before it dropped out I was able to quickly push set up and the joy stick to right for more options and set the clock. Before dropping signal, I got a blank yellow map with the red location of the vehicle on it, just as described in the manual when operating a US mainland vehicle in AK. When I went to the dealer they said my vehicle will not work in AK as currently configured but would not elaborate. Next time I'm in I will try to speak to the technician directly rather than the service advisor to get more info. The poor signal will probably not be improved by just booting up with the compass dvd rather than the navi dvd but I am willing to try.

I am very curious to find out how RLs are set up as an AK purchased vehicle. If they are able to receive a consistent signal for the compass feature, why can't I? I'll post back after I purchase the '07 compass dvd and gather more information...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the update. I suspect that the compass disc will work out just fine. I think you're the one of two from AK to post here.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

just for the record, the disc from my compass player is a CD and not a DVD
Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

in fact if you look up the one of the Acura parts program (available on the internet) it shows the Alaska RL 2005 with a CD Navigation drive unit.

It would be easy for you to go to a local dealer and ask them to pull out a disc and put it in your vehicle to try it. I have 2 discs. When my vehicle was about 2 months old Acura sent me a new disc to install. They said there was a defect in the software dealing with Altitude. The altitude was in meters with the original disc. I never installed the new disc because I had installed the DVD Nav unit by that point.

If its any help I can mail you one of those discs.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Racer

This is very interesting indeed, let us know how you make out, I think the DVD drive should be able to read CDs, just like any computer DVD drive...
Old 02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Cruisin'

update... I received the "compass disk" from Alpine. It is a CD, like Larry predicted, and my dvd nav drive was able to read without problems and install (took about 5 minutes). What's interesting, is now I get excellent gps reception, all the time! However, the system only displays blank maps rather that the "compass screen" as described in the manual. Also, if I go into set up and look for locations, the only state available is Hawaii! So, this appears to be a special disk for HI only ? So..., I called Alpine and they said this is the only compass disk available at all period. I wonder if I am the only acura owner ever that has tried to use a L48 nav system in AK? kind of sounds like it.

The compass disk I purchased for $20 from Alpine is a white CD labeled "Global Positioning System" BM535AO Version 4.56, 2006.

Larry, is this the same disk you have for your old CD system? If yours is different, I would be happy to pay postage & handling for you to ship it to me as an experiment.

I would love to get my hands on a CD that came with an Alaskan vehicle and try it in my system and see what it would do. There are none at the dealer...

At least I can now always get a gps signal and change my clock time if needed. arrrgh.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Check with your dealer and see if there is some setting. Here in the lower 48 there is a software, maybe firmware, setting for either the lower 48 or HI. Switching from one to the other wipes out all other information, eg cookies and addresses, etc, that you may have saved.

Maybe the CD has a way to switch to Alaska, or maybe they just did not bother to program for it.

I cannot remember where I saw about the switch from the Lower 48 to HI. Maybe this site.

Use google to search the site.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

the unopened disc (which Acura mailed to me in Sept 2007) is the same exact disc they sent you. The one that came with the car had a defect in that it showed elevation in meters rather than feel. Since I had already installed a DVD nav unit in the place of the CD compass unit I never installed the updated disc.

If you want the true Compass display like in the manual, you will need a compass CD Drive like I have....If I were you, I would likely keep it the way it is....sorry I couldn't be of more help.