What other grills were shocking the first time you saw them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What other grills were shocking the first time you saw them?

OK, the RL grill is a little overstated (said in an undestated way).

But, is that really bad? What manufacturers grills were also shocking the first time you saw them but now seem acceptable? If so, what makes them better looking then the RL's new grill? Why will the RL grill fail when these succeeded?

I got this idea from a posting on another thread where I mentioned the Audi grill, so I'll start by saying that I think all the Audi grills look like crap from a visually esthetic perspective. Heres the current A8 in all it's "glory".

Old 02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Go Big Blue!

Since so many of us are talking about the new CTS, I thought I'd also throw this out there. Is this a pretty face?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The two pics above look fine to me....I actually like both.

I'm been an enthusiast since I was 12 when my dad took me to Watkins Glen and I watched an F1 race. I used to buy R&T and C&D until they got an internet presence, so I've seen many different designs over the years...with the exception of most of the AMC designs(I liked the Gremlin) the 09 RL is the worst front end by far I've ever seen.

As far as shocking front ends besides the RL....the Chrysler 300 made me do a double take the first time I saw one.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Audi grill, the Chrysler 300 grill, and the Subaru Tribeca grill didn't shock me but on initial viewing, I didn't care for the grills.

Now the Audi doesn't look bad at all. The 300, well, it's a Chrysler, enough said. The Subarau Tribeca, still don't like it..
Old 02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro

I absolutely H-A-T-E-D both the 1st-gen CTS & Chrysler 300 when they debuted. Not only the huge grills, but their overall designs which were such a stark contrast to no only their other vehicles, but most other cars on the road. After a few months I warmed up to both of them and actually quite appreciate their design elements now. The Audi grill was less shocking to me somehow, but I still think it looks too big on the A4/A6. It looks better on their larger vehicles (Q7, A8, etc.).

For all the criticism Acura is getting for the new RL, and to a lesser extent, the TSX, I think it is a look that will grow on people. Most 1st-gen MDX owners hated the look of the new MDX, but 1+ year later it seems to have won most of them over. Heck, I still remember when the 3rd-gen TL debuted. Tons of 2nd-gen owners claimed they would be leaving Acura because they didn't like the TL's styling. Most claimed it had lost the understated, clean elegance of the 2nd-gen, and most seemed to direct their displeasure with the deep bodyside crease and wedge-like styling. For some reason it seems to me that enthusiasts are less accepting of stylistic change, particularly if it's of a model they currently own.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I liked both the 2G CTS and modern Audi grilles at first glance, and still do. The 2G and 3G TL's grilles are also nice.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Pontiac Aztek.....
Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Racer

Buick Enclave
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jwaters943

For all the criticism Acura is getting for the new RL, and to a lesser extent, the TSX, I think it is a look that will grow on people.
We'll see, but I think you are dead wrong....Every time I see it I want to

FWIW, I think the latest version of the TL is the best by far(2G looks too "Honda" to me) If it had AWD I would probably have bought one instead of the RL.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I liked both the 2G CTS and modern Audi grilles at first glance, and still do. The 2G and 3G TL's grilles are also nice.
I find the grille of the 2G CTS (2008) the epitome of Wurlitzer juke box gaudy. In fact, the entire front end of the CTS is, to me at least, just about the most unattractive design on any car out there, today. Despite the many excellent attributes of the CTS, its overall appearance. but especially the front end, is a total turn-off for me -- I would never consider it, even for a test drive, that's how much its styling repels me.

Compared to the 2G CTS, the front end on the '09 RL is much more appealing -- and I don't really care for it compared to the current RL
Old 02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by lumpulus
The two pics above look fine to me....I actually like both.

I'm been an enthusiast since I was 12 when my dad took me to Watkins Glen and I watched an F1 race. I used to buy R&T and C&D until they got an internet presence, so I've seen many different designs over the years...with the exception of most of the AMC designs(I liked the Gremlin) the 09 RL is the worst front end by far I've ever seen.

As far as shocking front ends besides the RL....the Chrysler 300 made me do a double take the first time I saw one.
Well there you go. If there are people who can say they like the new Audi grill then I guess there's hope for the RL grill in time.

Personally, the new Audi grill design had the worst "shock factor" to me when it was first introduced. Even more then this new RL grill

The grill on the 300 is over the top a bit, but I still wouldn't call it the worst

Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Kind of speaks for itself, doesn't it!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that a peach!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Rob144

I think we have a winner!

What is that? It's not just the grill, it's the whole front end. That truly looks ridiculous.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144

I wonder if the wunderkind who designed this monstrosity is still working for GM.

Jackzilla, to each, his own, I guess! I find the grille of the CTS rather flashy in a tasteful way. It LOOKS like it's a luxury car. Now there are those 1G CTS owners on the Caddy forums who will agree with you, especially with regard to the 2G CTS-V, which they regard as "rice"! (Imagine reading THAT on a forum dedicated to American cars!)

The RL's grille, however....well....that looks like a Mercury grille. It's almost two weeks later and it still hasn't started to grow on me. Maybe this time next year....
Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Instructor

neuronbob,
I think most would find the new RL grille somewhat less objecionable if the surround to the grille was body colored instead of the silver -- which makes it overpowering. I think if I were to buy the new car that's a fairly easy change I would make --paint the surround to the grille the same color as the body.

I think someone has already paint shopped the design with that change and it looks much more attractive. Hides the odd break lines between the grille and headlights too.

But the main problem with the new car for me still remains that the entire update looks grafted on -- obviously not a harmonious whole, as was the original desigh.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I personally think Acura should've left the entire front of the RL alone. Looks like shit and had way too many lines going in way too many different directions, the fogs are hideous, and the bumper looks like it belongs on the TL, not the RL. I dislike the shape of the new headlights too compared to the previous design, but there not as bad as the rest of the front. It makes me wanna every time I look at it.

*I hope Acura corporate is reading all of this.*
Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
On topic, the A8, the CTS, and the 300M all have grilles that at least flow with the rest of the styling on the car. Audi's grill I've always liked, but I think it should be smaller on the non-s models and the A8 since it's more of a luxury ride than a sports car.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Well there you go. If there are people who can say they like the new Audi grill then I guess there's hope for the RL grill in time.

Personally, the new Audi grill design had the worst "shock factor" to me when it was first introduced. Even more then this new RL grill
Isn't that a bit of a circular argument? You found the Audi grille 'schocking' but because others didn't there's hope for the RL? I don't know Mike - it sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself into it. 90+% of the people across all of these forums can't be wrong. It looks like crap, Acura effed up. Maybe if there were truly something new about the car I could get past the grille but it's basically the same car with a few subtle upgrades. The 'problem' with our RL was its subtelty. I think Acura realized that they didn't go far enough and slapped that dumb-@ss grille on there and claimed 'mission accomplished'.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackzilla
I find the grille of the 2G CTS (2008) the epitome of Wurlitzer juke box gaudy. In fact, the entire front end of the CTS is, to me at least, just about the most unattractive design on any car out there, today. Despite the many excellent attributes of the CTS, its overall appearance. but especially the front end, is a total turn-off for me -- I would never consider it, even for a test drive, that's how much its styling repels me.

Compared to the 2G CTS, the front end on the '09 RL is much more appealing -- and I don't really care for it compared to the current RL

I'm with you on the 2G CTS. It's just brutal in my opinion. I wouldn't call the 09 RL more appealing, maybe less brutal is more my sentiment. I think for just pure shock/ugliness factor the A8, Tribeca, and 300 top my list. I still don't like the 09 RL front, but I was luke warm about the 2G RL front to begin with.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by dwboston
Isn't that a bit of a circular argument? You found the Audi grille 'schocking' but because others didn't there's hope for the RL? I don't know Mike - it sounds like you're just trying to talk yourself into it. 90+% of the people across all of these forums can't be wrong. It looks like crap, Acura effed up. Maybe if there were truly something new about the car I could get past the grille but it's basically the same car with a few subtle upgrades. The 'problem' with our RL was its subtelty. I think Acura realized that they didn't go far enough and slapped that dumb-@ss grille on there and claimed 'mission accomplished'.
No, I'm honestly not trying to convince myself I like it. I actually don't like it. I suspect I don't hate it as much as some, but I don't like it. I'm probably where Jackzilla is on the issue.

I was just suggesting we all consider the possibility that it may not be as bad as we think when it comes to hurting sales or dooming the RL. There are some ugly ass faces out there on the road. I see no coorelation to attractive grills and sales. This grill may not even be in the top ten ugliest for the average person.

Because we own an RL, love it as it is, and stare at it every day, I just don't think we can be objective.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
The Audi grill actually looks very good.

The RL on the other hand is pure ugly.

Here is everthing that is wrong with the picture.

The main problem is that the hood does not line up.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Racer

I like that you circled Colliver (I noticed)...too funny.

I think the grille looks a lot like the car is smiling and has full lips.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM
still plays with cars

To answer your original question: 1958 Edsel. So there. Second place goes to that Aztec above.
The new RL is OK, but it's becoming obvious the current crop of designers are good at one thing -
copying each others work.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM
'06 RL

I FINALLY figured out where I've seen this grille before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMVNyYb1SE
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by honda_nut

I agree. They spend all this money on the MMC and they couldn't spend a few more bucks to clean that area up? That can't be how they wanted it. Must have just been a compromise

Unfortuantely it throws off the entire front end. It's even responsible for making the grill look worse IMO. Someone did a photoshop with the hood brought down to meet the fender seam. Evennthough he also tweeked the grill, you can see that is a large part of the problem. It's also why it probably doesn't look as bad on the TSX. This version actually looks pretty good. I'd buy it

Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by nbtx
To answer your original question: 1958 Edsel. So there. Second place goes to that Aztec above.
The new RL is OK, but it's becoming obvious the current crop of designers are good at one thing -
copying each others work.
At least the Edsel had symmetry.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This "grill" is pretty scary too:

Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't like the new MDX grill in pictures but in person, I didn't find it all that bad. "Perhaps" the new RL will surprise me.

LL
Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Sorry to be repetitious--the only grille that has ever made me actually want to barf is the 2009 RL's. Now THAT's saying something. The mismatched lines, the protruding proboscis, the massive chromed rictus, the downturned fogs, the weird vertical creases, the shrunken headlights--all of it is amateurish and pathetic. It grows on me like a virulent toe fungus.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

Audi grill IMO looks great.

So does the cadillac grill.

To this day, the 09 RL grill is the nastiest one I have seen.

It seems like the RL (and the TSX) is taking the route of the CAMRY Look.

Sorry, I'll go back to the TSX forum.

Originally Posted by honda_nut
The Audi grill actually looks very good.

The RL on the other hand is pure ugly.

Here is everthing that is wrong with the picture.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

The main problem is that the hood does not line up.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you will the same problem on the Lexus GS, but no one seems to have issues with that front. Maybe they did a better job and they don't have that big chrome strip to deal with.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Indian Acura Driver

True, but perhaps it's because the lights are set in such a way where they do not rely on the center part of the car.

But the hood is aligned with the point of the headlamp, and is not obtrusive towards the rest of the front. It still seems more aligned than having a bulging grill at the front.

With the headlight style on this car, the main problem IS that the hood line doesn't match up with the headlights which are more horizontal than the light diamond type parallelogram shape they have going...

As for the question.

The current Lincoln Navigator.

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/08ph_navigator.jpg
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
True, but perhaps it's because the lights are set in such a way where they do not rely on the center part of the car.

But the hood is aligned with the point of the headlamp, and is not obtrusive towards the rest of the front. It still seems more aligned than having a bulging grill at the front.

With the headlight style on this car, the main problem IS that the hood line doesn't match up with the headlights which are more horizontal than the light diamond type parallelogram shape they have going...

As for the question.

The current Lincoln Navigator.

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/08ph_navigator.jpg
Oh, yea. That Navigator face is bad. My neighbor across the street has a Navigator but the grill doesn't look like THAT! The new models got worse. Is this an industry trend right now? Overstated and obnoxious is in?

I also agree with your opinion about the lines. There are lots of situations where the lines don't match in car designs. However, because of everything else around it, it looks fine. On the other hand, this design looks like a clear mistake. WHy could'nt they have just enlarged the light housing to meet the hood? The lights would have been larger and more in proportion to teh grill, plus, everything would have seemed balanced. As it is now, that grill truly looks like it was stuck on with a bad photoshop attempt
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Pro

I brought this car up in another thread......

Here's the new MKS, a new Lincoln w/ a "shocking" grille:

Honestly, I don't mind this car from most angles. The bumper/lower air dam doesn't match the grille though. The vertical grille slats w/ horizontal chrome strips on the bumper and oversized chrome trimed foglight surrounds all look to mis-matched and busy. The profile/rear looks nice though. A few angles actually remind me of a bit of the Maserati Quattroporte.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Go Big Blue!

Here's a photochop I just did with the headlight package moved up and enlarged. I tried just moving the housing up (same size), but it didn't look as good IMO.

I admit it's a bad job so just squint to ignore all the unnatural shadow lines. etc. Even this makes the front look a bunch better. The grill isn't so overpowering, plus the larger light housing would make it look more upscale IMO.

Granted, I still don't care for the grill, but, I think it's clearly made worse by how it's out of proportion and alignment with the lights. Any 3rd grader would probably see that. I'd love to know what the Acura designers were really thinking when they designed that front end.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Go Big Blue!

Here it is with the lights simply moved up to line with the hood (rather then the hood dropped to line with the lights. Either way it's better then how they have it now.

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
7th Gear

YAHH TRICK YAAHH
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Thats not too bad Mikey. It actually differentiates my feelings.

With your adjustment, I still find the styling too busy, too disjointed, but it does not repulse me.

The Acura version is simply wrong. I cannot get past it.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Go Big Blue!

I agree. Better but still not right

Quick Reply: What other grills were shocking the first time you saw them?