What do you think...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Question What do you think...

...about trading a 2006 RL A-Spec for a 2012 TL SH-AWD with Tech package?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
injured... injured bad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no brainer here. DO IT!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
injured... injured bad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ but!... I think I might would like to see what the new bodystyle of the '13s would be like. Maybe lease the '12 TL?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve5.9
^ but!... I think I might would like to see what the new bodystyle of the '13s would be like. Maybe lease the '12 TL?
I hear ya, but I am not one to buy the first model year of a major change so I wouldn't be looking at buying the "new gen 5" TL until 2014.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
if I was buying a car next year to replace my RL it would be the 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Sedan.

The only downer is the lack of AWD, but you get a serious replacement for the RL not a downgrade and at similar price to the TL.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 037
if I was buying a car next year to replace my RL it would be the 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Sedan.

The only downer is the lack of AWD, but you get a serious replacement for the RL not a downgrade and at similar price to the TL.
Nice choice, but I really would like to stay with AWD. Though Audi, but a bit pricey and not really sure about reliability. Have had great luck with my Acura's and Honda's.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I say wait and see how the next gen RL turns out.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ichi d
I say wait and see how the next gen RL turns out.
I thought about that but it seems like the new RL will move up in size and to a price point (based on dealer speculation) that may be more than I would want to spend. In any event, that probably won't be until 2013-2014.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
just get an M5!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
...about trading a 2006 RL A-Spec for a 2012 TL SH-AWD with Tech package?
How many miles do you have? It seems that a lot of people buy a Honda product for its reliability and its longevity but trade it too early to realize the attributes that it was bought for. My opinion of the proposal is that you will end up with a lesser quality car, not as prestigeous, not as good quality, way too common and then there is the problem of having to look at it.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you won't even notice the difference between the two sure the RL may have a few extra bells and whistles, but your getting the same powerplant and drivetrain and I think the TL is geared better than the RL for a more sporty feel, but the best awd car in my opinion is G coupe a nice balance of power and handling...you should check one of those out they probably are relative in price
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I am actually in the "thinking about it" mode. Frequently the purchase of a new car is not based on need, but more like want, kinda where I am. I bought my RL new in '06 and performed some modest mods (as indicated in my sig). She only has 48K miles, in just about perfect condition (a rock chip here and there) and has never seen the winter months. Visiting this site is both a blessing and a curse! Member pics of their 4th Gen TL's just got me to thinking about the possibility of a 2012 model with its anticipated nose job, 305 hp engine, possible 6sp AT, updated NAV and hard drive and iPod capable Stereo. April is still quite a ways away and once I put the RL back on the road I may very well change my mind. The RL is really a sweet ride.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Safety Car

you really should check out the Genesis 5.0, it warrants the look and blows everything away.

429hp, 18-26mpg, 17 speaker sound system, navi, backup camera, 8 speed tranny

all that with a price tag under 45k.

Or you can always go for current generation 2011 385hp and pay something like 38-42k.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Genesis with the 5.0 is not scheduled till fall '11 or spring '12, and AWD is slated, but not sure if will be on 5.0 or current 4.6.
The TL feels more spirited than RL, seats are firmer, details inside not quite as plush, definitely a little louder, more sport luxury, than luxury sport so to speak. To me it comes down to looks.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
you really should check out the Genesis 5.0, it warrants the look and blows everything away.

429hp, 18-26mpg, 17 speaker sound system, navi, backup camera, 8 speed tranny

all that with a price tag under 45k.

Or you can always go for current generation 2011 385hp and pay something like 38-42k.

I am impressed by all these numbers but i have one huge concern with such a high-tech car from Hyundai - how well will it hold up to time? Will it be reliable after 4-5-6 years of use or will it be a Xmas tree of warning lights on the dash? This is a car packed with electronics, yet for such a low price? Where did they cut corners?? Or did they just cut into their own profit margins? Who knows. $45k is still a lot of money for car/brand that is not well established/proven in the luxury "high-tech" car market. This a brand new engine, brand new AT, AWD system, etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am big Hyundai/Genesis fan myself. We've had Hyundais in the family for the last 10 years an so far, everyone of them has been rock solid. They are simple, comfortable, well built cars. The dealer experience has also been very positive. I am fan of the current Genesis and if it had AWD, most likely i would buy a pre-owned one for an amazing price..

After having a couple of Audis, packed with unreliable electronics (speaking of warning lights on the dash), i am bit cautious when it comes to "high-tech" cars.
My RL, so far, has been great, but i never had the same concerns with Honda/Toyota products to start with. I hope it stays this way.

Last edited by danmm7; 12-20-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I would never pay 45k for a Hyundai. But hey that's just me....
Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 037

There is talk that they are gonna introduce awd to the genesis. You look more like someone who should ride in an Equus than a Genesis thou.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ellover009
There is talk that they are gonna introduce awd to the genesis. You look more like someone who should ride in an Equus than a Genesis thou.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I think... But I enjoy "driving" rather than riding, although a little bit of luxury goes well with spirited driving. I've had a BMW 735iA, a VW Passat 4Motion and an Acura TL. All quite a bit of fun to drive while providing a good level of luxury. I don't think the Equus would be fun to drive although it may be a great car to ride in.

Last edited by Treblig; 12-20-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ichi d
I would never pay 45k for a Hyundai. But hey that's just me....
Not just you....me too, nor a Kia.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ellover009
Equus seems like an old persons car compared to the Genesis plus the price tag attached to it. It's a 7 series/S series fighter, not exactly in the RL range.

From all the materials I read, nobody mentioned AWD being part of the 2012 Genesis 5.0 which is due around September 2011.

As far as holding up, you get a 5 year bumper to bumper, that's good for something
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Drifting

I second the concern about paying so much for a genesis... will it last as long as an Acura?

if you only keep it while under warranty, i guess it doesn't matter, unless it has issues and you don't like gthe back/forth game at the dealer.... i doubt Hyundai will give you a nice new loaner like Acura either...

back to the main topic - if you like hte RL, you'll probably like the TL SH-AWD... they are very similar with a different slant.. the TL is sport/luxury... the RL is luxury/sport.

you can mod the RL all you want and it will never be as sporty as a TL.. and you can't make the TL more plush like an RL... figure which one you want and get it.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
B8 Audi S4 its what i traded my RL for good decision
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Treblig, your swap would be reasonable and the safe choice. You would have the same functionality and size as the RL, SH-AWD, and would spend a little less money. You would have to become accustomed to the polarizing looks and a slightly less classy interior.

The TL SH-AWD would make an appropriate placeholder until the new RL is released. You came to the RL from the TL as well IIRC, so you wouldn't be heading into totally unknown territory.

Just my $0.02 even though I didn't make the same choice as you (wanted big V8 and RWD while still possible...I believe they will be leaving the automotive scene before long...)

Good luck with your consideration!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 23109VC

back to the main topic - if you like hte RL, you'll probably like the TL SH-AWD... they are very similar with a different slant.. the TL is sport/luxury... the RL is luxury/sport.

you can mod the RL all you want and it will never be as sporty as a TL.. and you can't make the TL more plush like an RL... figure which one you want and get it.
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Treblig, your swap would be reasonable and the safe choice. You would have the same functionality and size as the RL, SH-AWD, and would spend a little less money. You would have to become accustomed to the polarizing looks and a slightly less classy interior.

The TL SH-AWD would make an appropriate placeholder until the new RL is released. You came to the RL from the TL as well IIRC, so you wouldn't be heading into totally unknown territory.

Just my $0.02 even though I didn't make the same choice as you (wanted big V8 and RWD while still possible...I believe they will be leaving the automotive scene before long...)

Good luck with your consideration!
Thanks. I do know that I would be giving up some quality, like the immaculate paint job (orange-peel free) and interior fit, finish and materials (which I may be willing to trade-off depending on what changes the 2012 brings).

Bob, you are correct, I did come to the RL from the TL and if I go back to the TL I can forsee returning to the RL once it is clear where the RL is going and when.

23109VC, having owned both cars your are correct. They are two completely different vehicles and I appreciated and enjoyed them for what they are.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

it is possible to mod the RL to resemble a TL, that's what I did. SS brake lines, performance brake pads, lowering/stiffening springs...and you got TL like features in an RL!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it. TL sh awd is great.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 037
it is possible to mod the RL to resemble a TL, that's what I did. SS brake lines, performance brake pads, lowering/stiffening springs...and you got TL like features in an RL!
I still don't think it will be the same as a TL... maybe closer than stock vs stock...but a TL will still be/feel sportier.

if I were going to do the same swap - I'd be worried about the $$ impact. if you trade in you'll lose money... it's on paper..but you lose on the tradea nd then take on a new debt... essentially digging oneself back into more debt.

I also wonder if it woudl be *enouhg* different to justify the potential losses / transaction costs... at hte very least you eat more sales tax... and as 037 pointed out - you CAN make an RL a LOT like a newer TL..maybe not JUST like it..but pretty close..

if you really want sporty handling - slap on the aspec kit.. it will handle great! it rides rough bu tyou will for SURE get flat cornering! some bigger wheels, an aspec body kit - that would be a slick RL... you could do aspec suspension, body kit, and bigge rtwheels for a few thousand... you woudl easily eat that much in sales tax on a new car...

another thought is that if it's NOT different enough..maybe you woudl enjoy something more different if you opted to get another car..

If I sold my car and stayed with an Acura I'd likely get the TL SH-AWD.. no way I'd go FWD... I'm spoiled by the SH-AWD and couldn't go to FWD... I also wouldn't want a car that was smaller..as I need the rear seat space.. so stuff like a n A4/S4/RS4 or 3 series would be too small.. i'd need a 5 series if I went BMW and that's not going to be a cheap car! not for the one I'd want@!!! I'd want an M5 and a good CPO one woudl be $50k+... and I can't see myself buying a used car for $50k... no thanks....

for bang for the buck.. the TL SH-AWD is a great deal.. lots of bang , lots of reliability, lots of tech - for a good price.

you could probably snatch a lease on a 2010 for a great deal... maybe treat yourself for Christmas!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Safety Car

forgot to mention that all the above mentioned mods I did was to bring back the feel of my 2006 TL that I sold prior to getting the RL...and I can say that the RL handles better than the TL did and blows it away in acceleration. Gas mileage is actually a little better around city and a lot worse on highway
Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I still don't think it will be the same as a TL... maybe closer than stock vs stock...but a TL will still be/feel sportier.

if I were going to do the same swap - I'd be worried about the $$ impact. if you trade in you'll lose money... it's on paper..but you lose on the tradea nd then take on a new debt... essentially digging oneself back into more debt.

I also wonder if it woudl be *enouhg* different to justify the potential losses / transaction costs... at hte very least you eat more sales tax... and as 037 pointed out - you CAN make an RL a LOT like a newer TL..maybe not JUST like it..but pretty close..

if you really want sporty handling - slap on the aspec kit.. it will handle great! it rides rough bu tyou will for SURE get flat cornering! some bigger wheels, an aspec body kit - that would be a slick RL... you could do aspec suspension, body kit, and bigge rtwheels for a few thousand... you woudl easily eat that much in sales tax on a new car...

another thought is that if it's NOT different enough..maybe you woudl enjoy something more different if you opted to get another car..

If I sold my car and stayed with an Acura I'd likely get the TL SH-AWD.. no way I'd go FWD... I'm spoiled by the SH-AWD and couldn't go to FWD... I also wouldn't want a car that was smaller..as I need the rear seat space.. so stuff like a n A4/S4/RS4 or 3 series would be too small.. i'd need a 5 series if I went BMW and that's not going to be a cheap car! not for the one I'd want@!!! I'd want an M5 and a good CPO one woudl be $50k+... and I can't see myself buying a used car for $50k... no thanks....

for bang for the buck.. the TL SH-AWD is a great deal.. lots of bang , lots of reliability, lots of tech - for a good price.

you could probably snatch a lease on a 2010 for a great deal... maybe treat yourself for Christmas!!!
Already there. My RL has the full A-Spec treatment and I'm running 19 inchers and the new larger rear stabilizer bar. Certainly can't complain about the ride and handing, or anything else really. Just that "new car itch" I suppose. It would be nice to have the updated NAV and the iPod functionality and that new car smell! You are right about the financial impact of trading, especially since I will have to get new wheels and tires and those other "necessary" mods But, as I mentioned earlier, I have garaged the RL until the winter moves on and once I get it back on the road the new car itch may very well have subsided.

Last edited by Treblig; 12-24-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Safety Car

if you're bored you can always contact the TL guys running turbo and drop that under the hood...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I just cannot imagine anyone going from an RL to a TL even if the TL does have an HDD. There is a reason that they make both and I think everyone on the RL forum is the kind of person that can appreciate the difference. I know the TL owners will chime in but it's only because they are trying to justify their car payments. (secretly they would have prefered the RL!)
Old 12-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
^^^^^
LOL!

The RL is definitely worth the price premium, but one only recognizes it when they spend extended time with the car.

I can still see the current TL as a placeholder if you have the new car itch and can't wait until whenever Acura wants to release the next RL. The release could be next year, it could be the 2013 or 2014 model year, we won't know until Acura wants us to.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
forgot to mention that all the above mentioned mods I did was to bring back the feel of my 2006 TL that I sold prior to getting the RL...and I can say that the RL handles better than the TL did and blows it away in acceleration. Gas mileage is actually a little better around city and a lot worse on highway
I have to agree with you on handling but disagree on acceleration. Having driven a 3G TL and a 2 G CL-S for an extended period of time I have to agree that the RL does handle and feel sportier with aspec (or aftermarket) suspension. Seriously, no comparison... The SH-AWD with stiffer struts make this thing a beast. Acceleration still sucks on the RL in comparison, though. My CL Type S was so much faster even stock, but especially with bolt-on mods (headers, CAI, underdrive pulley). The 1/4 mile time was 1 full second faster than the RL.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I have to agree with you on handling but disagree on acceleration. Having driven a 3G TL and a 2 G CL-S for an extended period of time I have to agree that the RL does handle and feel sportier with aspec (or aftermarket) suspension. Seriously, no comparison... The SH-AWD with stiffer struts make this thing a beast. Acceleration still sucks on the RL in comparison, though. My CL Type S was so much faster even stock, but especially with bolt-on mods (headers, CAI, underdrive pulley). The 1/4 mile time was 1 full second faster than the RL.
well, when I was comparing I had an 06 TL 32k vs 09 RL 4k and the TL wasn't even close to RL by 60.

I believe CL-S were lighter than the 3G TL and a bit faster, and with mods it sounds like it would be plenty faster.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Well the 2012 TL is here and I must say that I am impressed with the refresh. My dealer has ordered one optioned just the way I have ordered it (SH-AWD/Bellanova White Pearl/Ebony/Tech/Advance) and will call me when it arrives. If it looks as good "in the flesh" I might have to go for it.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

yes i agree im liking the new 012's refresh style. cant hate wont hate get it!! lol
Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I personally don't like the 2012 RL... My honest opinion is that the 05-08's have a timeless shape.. I would compare it to my 1998 SC400.. People think that its 2009 model or something... I would keep the 06 RL and make it a "1 of a kind" and get something else... What would you be gaining with the 2012 anyways?

That's just my 2cents....
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

he is talking about the 2012 TL SH-AWD not the 2012 RL. and your 1998 SC400 is not a timeless car, to u maybe... but to me that car is way pass it time and looks really outdated.

Last edited by ichi d; 02-11-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2g Rl is the nicest car Acura ever has made no doubt in my mind, but the 4g's have potential, and some people just like to cycle through cars every few years cause you can usually avoid the more serious repairs, and you always feel like you have a new car
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

^+1. are u keeping your car still? or u still trying to sell it?

Quick Reply: What do you think...