Tufoil, anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Tufoil, anyone tried it?

Yesterday I ordered Tufoil online because I heard its great for the engine, has anyone tried it? The reviews say it smooths out the engine and improves fuel economy. I plan on using it with a synthetic oil change this week on my 05 RL.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NIKKG
Yesterday I ordered Tufoil online because I heard its great for the engine, has anyone tried it? The reviews say it smooths out the engine and improves fuel economy. I plan on using it with a synthetic oil change this week on my 05 RL.
Have not used it personally. Read here for some good discussion on this product.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...012423&fpart=1

You will have a few camps chime in. One camp that does not believe anything will improve on what the factory uses. Years ago people were arguing that if synthetic oil was that good, car companies would put it in from the factory. Nowadays, a large number of everyday cars come with synthetic from the manufacturer and were not talking Vetts and Porsches.

The other camp will believe molasses poured into a motor will increase MPG, extend engine life, etc.

And lastly, the group in between that try to base their buying decision on the limited amount of data available.

Try it and see. Post back with results. I'm not going to discount it until I actually know more about the product.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well keep us posted to your results. get a friend to drive your car one day. then after you pour the Tufoil in have him/her drive it again. don't mention anything and see if they notice a difference.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

So far, last week I did a trans flush at the dealer and a few days ago I put in tufoil with a synthetic oil change. My '05 RL has 61k. So far my mileage average went up from 16mpg to 19.5 mpg and it drives pretty smooth and fast. I'll see what happens longterm.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by NIKKG
So far, last week I did a trans flush at the dealer and a few days ago I put in tufoil with a synthetic oil change. My '05 RL has 61k. So far my mileage average went up from 16mpg to 19.5 mpg and it drives pretty smooth and fast. I'll see what happens longterm.
I do not believe you got this mileage increase from the product.

Snake oil.

Also synthetic is only worth the money if you have a turbo, race, or MAYBE go for long periods without changing oil.
Cars have gone 300k to a million miles on normal oil.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
If I combine this with my Hello Kitty exhaust tips, I expect 500hp at the rear wheels. (Do I add the front wheel HP to this?)

Ho ho! Okay, Tufoil works great in some non-automotive applications and it might be good in motor oil. I dunno, and I'm not saying it won't.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Instructor

If *any* product truly gave a 20% increase in mpg, EVERYBODY would be using it.

Longterm, you will not sustain that increase. There are any number of reasons your mpg appeared to change. Your "evidence" is anecdotal. The manufacturer is going to stack the deck and try to claim increases to increase sales. Users will report anecdotal increases if for no other reason than they don't want to believe they wasted their money or be ridiculed...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinger
if i combine this with my hello kitty exhaust tips, i expect 500hp at the rear wheels. (do i add the front wheel hp to this?) :d
LOL @ hk!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Cruisin'

Well, before the tufoil, I was averaging at 16-16.5 mpg, now it varies from 18.5-19.5 and the car does seem a little smoother when I'm driving it. Not sure if maybe the transflush and differentials change contributed or not, however, the transflush was done a week before the tufoil and the mpg didn't move up until I put in tufoil. Those are my results, but since the oil only cost 12 bucks online, its not going to break you.

The question is would I do it again on my next oil change?

Answer: HELL YES!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Pro

There are many factors that can effect that mileage change.
Looks too good to be true, it probably is.
I am sure Honda would use it if it worked, in fact if there was no downside they would definitely use it and if they used it everyone else would too.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
There are many factors that can effect that mileage change.
Looks too good to be true, it probably is.
I am sure Honda would use it if it worked, in fact if there was no downside they would definitely use it and if they used it everyone else would too.
That's not entirely true, depending on contracts, costs, and patents, you might not always have the best product. Suppose Honda contracts with Exxon to make there lubricants, well if Exxon doesn't own the patent to Tufoil, than they will either try to make something similar or close to it without being sued. Think about it, if Honda or any other car maker only wanted the best, we would have better tires than the michelins and the oil would be Mobil 1 synthetic, right? Anyways, I haven't heard anything bad about Tufoil, it seems to work well and it cost 12 bucks, and here are some Amazon reviews saying good stuff about it:
http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending

Last edited by NIKKG; 01-27-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Pro

Here read this. Let me know what state you are in so I do not buy your car for my daughter.

TufOil contains PTFE. PTFE is BAD !!!

TufOil (basically the same as Slick 50) is a barrier ingredient and the possble effects it causes is that it seems to only make the oil oxidize rather quickly after adding the additive.

Again ... TufOil contains PTFE. PTFE is bad. Basically marketed as Teflon ... and they piggyback off the fact that everyone has seen the "egg slip off the frying pan" commercial on TV. Dupont owns the Teflon technology and they even state that Teflon is not good for an internal combustion engine. There were a lot of FTC lawsuits ... and settlements ... regarding the use of Teflon in aftermarket additives.

If you think that you need better barrier protection, use an oil that has a high level of moly as an additive that is included direct from the manufacturer. There is simply no need for any of those snakeoil type additives. Choose a good oil with a good antiwear package in it and there is simply no need for TufOil (or Slick 50). If you want protection from metal to metal contact on a cold start, choose a quality synthetic oil, or an oil with moly in it.

There is more to an oil than the sum of its parts which show up in a typical UOA/VOA (Used Oil Analysis/Virgin Oil Analysis). That's why some additives backfire. There is an optimal amount of moly/boron/zinc/phosphorous/calcium, etc ... and the type/form/percentage of each is critical to it's optimum performance.

You will not see much difference in you UOA's using TufOil, but what it does is cause pitting of the yellow metals and unless you pull your motor apart to examine them before and after, your test's could show excellent #'s.

Do you want to risk bearing failure? This is one thing that Briggs and Straton found when they did their test on PTFE. It showed that the machine running the PTFE had actually pitted the yellow metals where the other machine that ran with standard oil showed no such evidence.

In closing: Hundreds of Engineers, Scientists and Chemists (spending thousands of hours) have done an excellent job assembling good oils that do not need these magic additives.