TSX to RL comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX to RL comparison?

There are threads here where the RL is compared to a TL. I haven't found any information about the TSX. I know they are in a different price/size/power category but I'm curious to know how much more(?) fun I'd be having in an RL. I currently drive a TSX 6MT with sport suspension and like it very much. Great MPG, no body roll, precise steering, adequate power. Would going from FWD to AWD along with more luxury features be worth the $ when swapping to a used -06 RL?

I haven't had a proper test drive so I'd like to know if anyone here have owned a TSX previously and what they think about the two cars.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I traded my 04 6MT TSX in for a 06 RL and haven't looked back. The TSX was a blast to drive but the RL is just a whole different car - much more luxurious and the AWD is nic eto have in bad weather situations. When my wife's RSX-S lease was up she went with a 08 TSX 6MT as a replacement. I enjoy driving the TSX but when I get into my RL I am in another world.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+ 1. Well said
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
There are some in this forum who have gone from TSX to RL, and I'm sure they will post shortly. That is a HUGE leap IMHO. I have driven the TSX and the differences are many:

SH-AWD narrows the handling difference between the RL (4k pounds) and the TSX (lots lighter), but the TSX is "tossable" while the RL will never be that.

Much more power in the RL, and the loss of that buzzy I-4 sound in favor of the deep growl of the J35 V6 engine.

More tech features in the RL.

The leather is much better in the RL and the seats are more supple.

And that's only the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, the TSX is a great car with a specific purpose.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Of course the RL will be much nicer. You'd be going from the least expensive model (TSX) to the most expensive model (RL)!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Obviously very different rides. But I like the TSX very much and I like the build quality. I sometimes request a TSX when I am in for service.

Without getting into a debate of one being the better, I'll point out what was very noticably different in my driving the two.

The TSX is nimble, feels light and very tossible. It is fun to drive in that manner.
The TSX feels narrow and not as relaxed cruising.
The TSX begs to be revved and kept there.
The TSX feels a bit twitchy in twisties.
The TSX has obvious FWD traits.
The TSX has much more road noise / tire roar.
The TSX cries "I can do it! I can do it!"

The RL feels substantial, wide, and planted. It is fun to drive feeling very secure.
The RL is very relaxed in highway cruising very effortless.
The RL is amazing when revved, but is very refined when driven on light throttle.
The RL is confient in twisties and begs to be pressed.
The RL is very neutral, the best of FWD, RWD and AWD and then some.
The RL is much more quiet, though some roads will make the OEM Michelins roar.
The RL whispers "I bet you didn't know I could do that."

Obviously they are not apples to apples comparisions... but both care share great content, build quality and materials. Of course pay more for the RL and you get more. Both have tasteful buttoned up styling. Both are class acts and I'd be happy to have both in my garage.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
As always, great summary Tampa!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Go on, Tampa, there must be more.....
Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Obviously very different rides. But I like the TSX very much and I like the build quality. I sometimes request a TSX when I am in for service.

Without getting into a debate of one being the better, I'll point out what was very noticably different in my driving the two.

The TSX is nimble, feels light and very tossible. It is fun to drive in that manner.
The TSX feels narrow and not as relaxed cruising.
The TSX begs to be revved and kept there.
The TSX feels a bit twitchy in twisties.
The TSX has obvious FWD traits.
The TSX has much more road noise / tire roar.
The TSX cries "I can do it! I can do it!"

The RL feels substantial, wide, and planted. It is fun to drive feeling very secure.
The RL is very relaxed in highway cruising very effortless.
The RL is amazing when revved, but is very refined when driven on light throttle.
The RL is confient in twisties and begs to be pressed.
The RL is very neutral, the best of FWD, RWD and AWD and then some.
The RL is much more quiet, though some roads will make the OEM Michelins roar.
The RL whispers "I bet you didn't know I could do that."

Obviously they are not apples to apples comparisions... but both care share great content, build quality and materials. Of course pay more for the RL and you get more. Both have tasteful buttoned up styling. Both are class acts and I'd be happy to have both in my garage.

Well said!! I am on my sixth day driving a TSX loaner, and during that time I must've put at least 600 miles on it and I feel Tampa is pretty much spot on.

I especially agree with the first comment about it feeling light and tossable. It almost begs to be pressed. The I4 is pretty responsive (I was genuinely impressed), but as most 4 cylinders do, it feels a bit buzzy.

Entirely too much interior trim noise on rough roads for a $30K (MSRP) car. My loaner has a NAVI with 8K miles on the clock. Decent room for a small car, but absolutely no comparison with a TL, much less an RL from a luxury feel.

My RL was actually fixed, but I couldn't make it to pick it up on my way home tonight. I'll get it tomorrow morning before work. After 6+ days in the TSX, I'm going to feel like I went to heaven.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Go on, Tampa, there must be more.....
Yes Boss....

Ummmm....

The TSX brakes well, but you feel the nose drop and tail rise. Maybe due to light weight and narrow stance.

The TSX engine is always audible, but a very good sound.

The TSX transmits speed and acceleration to the driver in obvious ways.

The RL brakes smoothly, with no fuss or kickback. The wider track and weight makes the RL feel like it is squatting when braking.

The RL engine is silent at stops and easy driving. Get on it, and ohhhhh that sound!

The RL accelerates in such a smooth, progressive manner, it betrays your sense of speed and acceleration. Only when you get on the throttle does the engine note let you know it means business and traffic has fallen well behind.

Howdatt?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Completely different beasts. The TSX is nice indeed but comparing it tho the RL is a non sequitor. Its akin to comparing a loaded civic EX (with leather) to a TSX.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 2008 TSX as a loaner with 220 miles on it when I brought in my 2006 RL for service. I had the TSX for 2 days and here are my impressions;

- Interior is much smaller
- A lot of road noise
- The leather seats were hard and not comfortable
- NAV screen was touch screen, but I found it very blurry and not sharp.
- It's light weight compared to the RL, so I could feel a lot swaying on the road
- Steering wheel and controls were not as nice
- No one touch moonroof button and location was hard to reach
- Had to use a key to start the engine and locate the FOB to open/close doors
- Bumpy ride

Okay, I think I'm mentioning the same thing as other said. Let's just say....when I got my RL back and drove it home...... I was like "WOW"... I missed my RL! The 2 cars are on totally different levels. Not bad mouthing the TSX, but as the saying goes..."You get what you pay for".

Hopefully next time they can at least give me a TL as a loaner?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM

I agree that the resolution on the Nav screen is not the same.

Am I wrong or does the TSX NOT have an outside temp display? I can't seem to find it.

It does feel "looser" when freeway cruising, but I felt it handled the curves and off/on ramps well.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
I agree that the resolution on the Nav screen is not the same.

Am I wrong or does the TSX NOT have an outside temp display? I can't seem to find it.

It does feel "looser" when freeway cruising, but I felt it handled the curves and off/on ramps well.
It has an outside temp. display. Just have to scroll through the MID
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
It has an outside temp. display. Just have to scroll through the MID

I did several times and couldn't find it.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

I did several times and couldn't find it.
It's definitely there, you just need to scroll until you find the tiny temperature reading.

In any case....the TSX is a great entry level luxury car that handles great and has a beautiful engine sound at full blast....but that sound gets a little tiring, and the leather seats are cheaper than in the RL, as would be expected.

The TSX has its mission, which it completes more than satisfactorily, and the RL has its mission.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh god. The TSX is a dinky wannabe ride which at 30k is overpriced.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by CL6
I'm glad thats how you perceive a car of the same make as yours. talk about a brotherhood, eh?

And which do you drive, again?

To each his own. TSX is a great car for the purpose it was made for. It was made for the Late 20's-mid 30's group that just wants a baseline luxury vehicle. Its like comparing apples to oranges, honestly.

And, RL is a great car what it is meant for..

now why dont we start a new thread for a car that is out of its league?

"RL to Audi R8 comparison"..
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Same could be said for the CL
Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Instructor

I also had a TSX 06 5AT.. you guys are spot on.
The TSX is definitely very nimble (I think Honda has mastered the 4-banger-FWD-fun combination) and I remember getting about 25MPG even with my lead foot. On the flip side, it is way noisier on the highway and needs more torque. I always had to use the SportShift when merging on traffic or passing. Last but not least, you can FEEL and SEE the $18K price tag difference! LOL! different leagues IMO.

Originally Posted by CL6
no offense but definition of overpriced for what you get = MB
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM

I got my RL back!!! The door handle has been replaced once again. Let's hope it's final this time.

It's soooooo good to have her back.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I got my RL back!!! The door handle has been replaced once again. Let's hope it's final this time.

It's soooooo good to have her back.
Good to hear Hawks.

I highly recommend being away from your RL a few days now and then. It truly makes you appreciate what a stellar vehicle it is. Moreso, drive something else for a few days, and you will again wonder why the RL has not been a success. The few times I drove something else that felt as good as or better than the RL, it was a substantially more expensive vehicle.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Good to hear Hawks.

I highly recommend being away from your RL a few days now and then. It truly makes you appreciate what a stellar vehicle it is. Moreso, drive something else for a few days, and you will again wonder why the RL has not been a success. The few times I drove something else that felt as good as or better than the RL, it was a substantially more expensive vehicle.
Yeah, I agree. For anyone who has been thinking that the RL is not for them after owning it....have it taken from you for a few days and drive something else on the market...then you realize how much you have under appreciated it. 2 days away from it with the TSX loaner and I'm a believer again on how great the RL is.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 AM
A Saitama Garage

I own both a TSX and an RL. The TSX is my daily in and out of the city commuter. It's smaller, so it allows us to be quicker in the city. The RL is our weekend and Friday drive to work car. They are VERY different drives, both have their positives. Though, now that I have an RL, my next car will probably be more RL like and less TSX like. The TSX has signficant road noise, but in some aspects I think it has better build quality than the RL (not materials - just build).
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Ha I paid 22k for my CL it has a 3.2 V6 and a six speed manual and does just fine thanks! I've driven so many TSX over the years I think I know the car. For 30k there are better cars out there. I don't like the 4 cylinder, the tink when you close the doors, or the high price tag for it. Comparing a TSX to an RL is a joke. I laugh when I read about Accord vs. RL or TSX vs. RL...

That's the mindset behind why nobody buys an RL and it doesn't just come from corporate either!

I'd rather buy a 2 year old BMW 3-Series than a new TSX. The 09 TSX might be a good car but give me a V6.

The TSX is a fine car for what it is... nice sound system, great six speed, good ergonomics, don't get me wrong I don't hate the car but it ain't no 'luxury car.'

I appreciate the jumping on what I drive or what I sell... as if that's relative to the topic. I guess if you can't go after the statement go after the person who said it.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^why are you so butt hurt about the TSX? I think the RL guys did a fine job of comparing the 2 cars.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

"Amused" is the word you should have used.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

nah, butt hurt. Its more fun....and more appropriate.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro

Funny how level headed, and fact-based the view from (well) above is. Try posting a TSX vs TL question on the TL board, and wait and see how many "piece of (insert four letter word of choice)" responses you get. No surprise that responses from CL folks are often similar.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
7th Gear

TSX vs RL

I recently purchased an RL and I'm very happy with it. My good friend and a car enthusiast owns a TL. He drove my RL and loved it, now he wants one although I think his TL is a great car. Another friend (and car enthuiast) loves his TSX. I drove it and found it to be very solid and responsive. I thought the TSX dash looked a little common although it is a great car. I think you get what you pay for and the RL is just more to my liking. I just purchased the wood wheel, knob and splash guards and they look great. Good Luck. Doug Hess, Springfield, Pa.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Advanced

I have both an RL & TSX in my garage. The RL is mine and the TSX is my wife's. I believe TampaRL summed the differences up perfectly in his list.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by CL6
Ha I paid 22k for my CL it has a 3.2 V6 and a six speed manual and does just fine thanks! I've driven so many TSX over the years I think I know the car. For 30k there are better cars out there. I don't like the 4 cylinder, the tink when you close the doors, or the high price tag for it. Comparing a TSX to an RL is a joke. I laugh when I read about Accord vs. RL or TSX vs. RL...

That's the mindset behind why nobody buys an RL and it doesn't just come from corporate either!

I'd rather buy a 2 year old BMW 3-Series than a new TSX. The 09 TSX might be a good car but give me a V6.

The TSX is a fine car for what it is... nice sound system, great six speed, good ergonomics, don't get me wrong I don't hate the car but it ain't no 'luxury car.'

I appreciate the jumping on what I drive or what I sell... as if that's relative to the topic. I guess if you can't go after the statement go after the person who said it.
I was the one that said it..and i did go after the statement, as well as you.
And you compared it to your CL in your first statement. Ofcourse yours is faster and whatnot. So, if someone is looking for a mid-range, faster-than-a-tsx car, the CL fits the bill

Though, if someone is looking for a more techy-interior or gas-saver, looks as though the TSX is the best car under 30k. and I doubt a baseline 3-series comes with all the features the tsx comes with, standard.

What do you expect a tsx owner to say when you bash their vehicle for not even being a car?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

If its of any consequence, I wouldn't trade my TSX for an RL, though I have nothing but support for anyone who would. The RL is a great car and it never got the credit it deserved in the sales column.

Reason being is this: the RL is more of a car in which you say "Wow, I didn't know it could do that" as opposed to the TSX, which already must possess certain attributes to compete with euro style-sport sedan competition. Samurai sword to ginsu knife, maybe?

However, for the reasons stated by the fair opinions on this thread, I would miss the intimacy of my TSX, especially in its current state of tune. Maybe my tastes haven't grown to match my age yet, but I'm still into sporty, euro-style compacts. When I move on from my TSX, I'll likely move that direction as opposed to moving up the Acura line to the RL. I'm kinda already looking into used Porsche 911's (996 version) when my kids can climb into the backseat themselves.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by vluu
I got a 2008 TSX as a loaner with 220 miles on it when I brought in my 2006 RL for service. I had the TSX for 2 days and here are my impressions;

- Interior is much smaller
- A lot of road noise
- The leather seats were hard and not comfortable
- NAV screen was touch screen, but I found it very blurry and not sharp.
- It's light weight compared to the RL, so I could feel a lot swaying on the road
- Steering wheel and controls were not as nice
- No one touch moonroof button and location was hard to reach
- Had to use a key to start the engine and locate the FOB to open/close doors
- Bumpy ride

Okay, I think I'm mentioning the same thing as other said. Let's just say....when I got my RL back and drove it home...... I was like "WOW"... I missed my RL! The 2 cars are on totally different levels. Not bad mouthing the TSX, but as the saying goes..."You get what you pay for".

Hopefully next time they can at least give me a TL as a loaner?
I have a TSX and will likely soon buy the new RL (yes, ugly nose and all). I've also spent a ton of time in the TL.

Honestly, with regard to the "blury screen" (which is probably the identical resolution to the TL and RL) I have no idea what you are talking about. In fact, I find the overall interface in the TSX/TL to be a bit superior to the RL (because of the touchscreen). The screen is quite clear, and easy to use, and seems to wash out a lot less easier than in some recent Acura products (like the RDX, which gets a lot of sun reflections).

I also find the seats super comfortable (although this is a personal issue, I admit) and, in fact, one reason the RL is at the top of my list is because of the general comfort I feel in Acura products. My TSX has just gotten more comfortable over time - I can go on long trips and not feel the least bit sore.

I also can't imagine anyone would find the FOB and key "hard to use" - although the current TSX doesn't have the push botton start of the RL.

I don't see what is "not as nice" about the steering wheel controls. Again, almost identical to the RL.

The bumpy ride, smaller interior, are all undeniable.

The big difference between the RL and TSX, IMO, beyond the obviously higher level of comfort, features, lux, and power in the RL, is that the RL feels a lot more buttoned down in corners. Yeah, the TSX is more nimble, but the supension is so stiff that it gets knocked off course by bumps. I've not drive the RL as extensively as any of you, but never had that problem in test drives.

To me, the TSX feels like a four dour Prelude. The RL is more like a Asian 5-series. Completely different vehicles.

I do wish the RL has a fold down rear seat like the TSX though, and despite the size diff, the trunk of the RL is actually no larger.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Actually, in my first statement I did not compare the TSX to any other car. If the vehicle came with a small 6 I would think more of it. I know of no luxury brand using a 4 cylinder in their products. The TSX competes against the Lexus IS no more than it does against the BMW 3 Series.

The TSX is not a bad car, it is just not a luxury car and it does not belong in a comparison against the RL.

Originally Posted by BackToStock
I was the one that said it..and i did go after the statement, as well as you.
And you compared it to your CL in your first statement. Ofcourse yours is faster and whatnot. So, if someone is looking for a mid-range, faster-than-a-tsx car, the CL fits the bill

Though, if someone is looking for a more techy-interior or gas-saver, looks as though the TSX is the best car under 30k. and I doubt a baseline 3-series comes with all the features the tsx comes with, standard.

What do you expect a tsx owner to say when you bash their vehicle for not even being a car?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by CL6
Actually, in my first statement I did not compare the TSX to any other car. If the vehicle came with a small 6 I would think more of it. I know of no luxury brand using a 4 cylinder in their products. The TSX competes against the Lexus IS no more than it does against the BMW 3 Series.

The TSX is not a bad car, it is just not a luxury car and it does not belong in a comparison against the RL.
In the US, Volvo, Saab, and Audi currently offer 4-cyl engines. You could argue that those engines are more "upscale" because they use forced induction, but I'd disagree given the more smoother and more sophisticated nature of the K24.

In Europe, most lux brands offer four cyl, including BMW and M-B. And, in fact, BMW has offered 4-cyl vehicles in the US in the recent past.

I personally think the new TSX SHOULD have a six and think it doesn't purely as a refection of Honda cost cutting. I'd argue the same for the RDX. But, it is not true that no upscale brands offer 4-cyl cars.

I don't really see the first generation of TSX has a luxury car either, mainly because the feature content is not there. I see it as a sporty alternative to the USDM Accord.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6

TSX vs. RL. The OP asked for a comparison. If you could stop believing your own bullshit, maybe the good folks in the RL board could have a civil discussion about what the OP is asking rather than you hijacking ANOTHER thread on the TSX being "just not a luxury car."

We get it, you don't think the TSX is a luxury car. BFD. You've contradicted yourself time and again on the TSX board and now here on a seemingly civil RL thread. Time to give it a rest, or start a thread on the TSX board where you question its luxury credentials.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The problem with the TSX is that it is an Accord but it is being dolled up and sold as an 'Acura' in the US. Were it offered with a 2.5 liter V6 or something like this I would think better of it being an 'Acura.' The new TSX may be something very special, I will withold judgement, but it should still have a V6.

I do not consider Volvo or SAAB to be more than niche players although your point is taken regarding the Audi.

I slam the door on a TSX, a BMW 3 Series, and my CL and the noise from the TSX is not a 'thud' and I frown.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

You should try a cup of chilled Earl Gray tea to calm down.

#1 I have posted on the TSX board maybe 5 times
#2 Please explain how I have hijacked 'another thread'
#3 I believe I gave my opinion on comparing a TSX to an RL.
#4 Using the term 'bullshit' is hardly what you would call a 'civil RL thread'
#5 Sorry if I upset your apple cart as to what you consider 'acceptable' behavior on an Internet discussion board.

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
TSX vs. RL. The OP asked for a comparison. If you could stop believing your own bullshit, maybe the good folks in the RL board could have a civil discussion about what the OP is asking rather than you hijacking ANOTHER thread on the TSX being "just not a luxury car."

We get it, you don't think the TSX is a luxury car. BFD. You've contradicted yourself time and again on the TSX board and now here on a seemingly civil RL thread. Time to give it a rest, or start a thread on the TSX board where you question its luxury credentials.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by CL6

To defend you a bit more on this, as the former owner of a 2nd gen TL (basically a 4-door version of your CL), from a refinement perspective, I still will take a 2nd gen TL/CL over a current TSX. The TSX just seems more "basic" to me. Not a criticism, just a fact.

Quick Reply: TSX to RL comparison?